My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

seems like it will probably be a decent scifi movie

palmer eldritch

Postby mellowgold » Mon May 08, 2017 5:24 pm

OKterrific wrote:
all day breakfast wrote:there's something about the rain that's wrong

I once read some dude on the IMDB message boards post a detailed analysis of rain design in Zodiac and some Chris Nolan movie to back his argument that Nolan is a genius and Fincher is a hack

just another reason why taking down the IMDb messages boards is a travesty
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby hbb » Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm

number none wrote:Might need a rain design thread

I seem to recall some discussion on the relative merits of the rain in Metal Gear Solid V: Gound Zeroes (PS3 version) vs the rain in Metal Gear Solid V: Gound Zeroes (PS4 version)

hbb

Postby Poptone » Mon May 08, 2017 5:57 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:seems like it will probably be a decent scifi movie

yeah, seems like something that would be passable entertainment if not for the connection to possibly the greatest sci-fi film of all time.

i have no new complaints to add - just that it looks too actiony and filled with explosions. is there even a single explosion in the original film? outside of the exhaust vents on some of the buildings?

Poptone
cat fan

Postby antoine » Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Impossible to recapture the 80s weirdness. They really should just stop rebooting/sequeling every damn beloved movie ever (they won't).

antoine

Postby antoine » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?

antoine

Postby Poptone » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

nah paul verhoeven's still alive and making films

Poptone
cat fan

Postby OKterrific » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 pm

mellowgold wrote:
OKterrific wrote:
all day breakfast wrote:there's something about the rain that's wrong

I once read some dude on the IMDB message boards post a detailed analysis of rain design in Zodiac and some Chris Nolan movie to back his argument that Nolan is a genius and Fincher is a hack

just another reason why taking down the IMDb messages boards is a travesty

he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

antoine wrote:Have all the good movies been made already and basically we're just recycling them endlessly at this point?

cinema is a data driven enterprise these days

Dead_Wizard

Postby endoskeleton » Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm

OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets

endoskeleton

Postby blurst of times » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

i thought the av club did a pretty even-handed assessment of the new trailer: http://www.avclub.com/article/what-was-our-blush-response-blade-runner-2049-trai-254974

i do worry about its over-emphasis on plot and action, but i hope that those aspects are being exaggerated for the trailer, to appeal to people who might not care about blade runner otherwise. if nothing else, i think it looks great visually, but we'll see if they nail the rest

blurst of times
ride.

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

chairkicker wrote:
OKterrific wrote:he said something to the effect of Nolan not being afraid to use big heavy droplets but Fincher didn't have the concviction to go that far

isn't batman begins the only time rain has ever been in a nolan film? i don't remember any particularly big heavy droplets

Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Poptone wrote:nah paul verhoeven's still alive and making films

Hell yeah

Marcus

Postby Magazine » Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 pm

spix et chicho wrote:Harrison Ford looked disgusting—nipples protruding—in his grey shirt in the Blade Runner trailer. Very very disrespectful.

:lol:

Magazine

Postby endoskeleton » Tue May 09, 2017 12:17 am

Marcus wrote:
chairkicker wrote:

Inception when they're in that van or w/e, I think?

oh yeah. that whole first dream level was raining cuz dude had to pee

endoskeleton

Postby ihateoutdoors » Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 am

i like the music so far :)

ihateoutdoors

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 4:23 am

I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

Postby Milk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 am

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:
Milk wrote: It doesn't help that they cast two of the most hateable actors of all time in Gosling and Leto.

how are you so goddamn wrong about every single thing? it's astonishing.

And yet i am quite assured i am right about everything. This is what makes me so particularly annoying. The more i'm told i'm wrong the more i KNOW i'm right. I think outside of sex and food being told i'm wrong and especially having people get kinda hot about it is probably the most pleasurable thing i can think of.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:
All that is to say, I wonder if our confidence with technology or simply an overall shift in the realm of what we consider depersonalizing about technology makes it difficult to make something that would even be a tonal sequel to Blade Runner now.

No.
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

pantsoclock wrote:I can't imagine this is going to excite me insomuch as Blade Runner does feel like it comes out of nowhere to coalesce into a perfect atmospheric statement. There's not really a "Blade Runner" throughline to take forward into a sequel. There's no "universe."
The noir tone of it is perfect that way. Chandler's plots were never much more than a maze to drag Marlowe through the sordid dehumanization of industrial civilization, and Blade Runner takes that to a heightened place. Visually, it's incredibly claustrophobic. The characters huddle in small areas of light and darkness. Vangelis' score is perfect here in that he has such a prog rock understanding of humanism and despite how gorgeous and sprawling it is, the technological underpinnings are so obvious, the DX-7 is so brassy, there's something genuinely oppressive and weighted about it.

Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Magazine

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am

The thought of living in a world where it's impossible to distinguish real from fake will always be terrifying and timeless

walt whitman

Postby pantsoclock » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am

pantsoclock wrote:
Magazine wrote:Yamaha CS-80 (or some similar Yamaha synth). That's definitely not a DX-7 sound.

Dang really? Of all people I'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: the dx7 wasn't even made until the year after blade runner came out so shows what I know.

I remember reading an Alex Frankel (Holy Ghost!) interview where he said the just got a CS-80. Wtf? Those things are crazy expensive. Checking discogs now, the last album also had a Jupiter 8...

Magazine

Postby Magazine » Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 am

Also, sorry for focusing on the least important part of your post!

Magazine

Postby Marcus » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

Also where's the voight kampff in this

They're gonna leave that out aren't they

Marcus

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 pm

no way audiences would believe Gosling passing the voight kampff

walt whitman

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley