Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:30 am

pana wrote:i gave up on this show halfway through season 2 because it was too predictably stupid fight club rip-off AND emo/boring af (except for 2-3 episodes)

did the last 2.5 seasons somehow "correct" that or is it more of the same?

if you liked the overarching premise of Lost's final season, the Malkovich doppelganger scene in Being John Malkovich and the ending of 2001 then the finale might be for you

auspice

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 am

ecto wrote:i rewatched s1e4 and :shock:

what happens in that episode? I remember it being my least favorite of s1 because the Angela/Shayla having a night together ending with them kissing each other seemed very derivative of the "straight guy writing female characters without understanding them" stereotype. thankfully Darlene & Dom's relationship made up for that tenfold

auspice

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:55 am

I liked the finale for the record and found it cathartic in the way I was hoping to, but the one lingering thread that still makes very little sense is wtf was up with Tyrell's death? That weird light/whale noise thing came back during Elliot's big reality-breaking-down sequence, so what was the significance of it, especially since we know Tyrell was a real person and everything involving him really happened?Toggle Spoiler

auspice

Postby ecto » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:42 am

auspice wrote:
ecto wrote:i rewatched s1e4 and :shock:

what happens in that episode? I remember it being my least favorite of s1 because the Angela/Shayla having a night together ending with them kissing each other seemed very derivative of the "straight guy writing female characters without understanding them" stereotype. thankfully Darlene & Dom's relationship made up for that tenfold

He slips into the world he created for Elliot and Angela telling him ‘you’re not elliott’ happens the same way shot for shot: https://reddit.app.link/qbi4RCVhG2

Angela tells him he was only born a month ago... and that he’s not Elliot.

He also encounters the girl on a scooter but she’s a lot younger
Toggle Spoiler
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen

ecto

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Anyone think it was a missed opportunity for them not to use Rami Malek's identical twin for the alternate Elliot scenes? I know he isn't an actor but I did notice that the two Elliots were almost never in frame together, I was expecting for them to do something with him.

auspice

Postby pana » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:59 pm

ok i'll give s2 another shot, hopefully the 2nd half wins me over

pana

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:01 pm

pana wrote:ok i'll give s2 another shot, hopefully the 2nd half wins me over

It's still not as good as the rest, but it improves dramatically.

S4
S1
--small gap--
S3
--small gap--
second half of S2
--big gap--
first half of s2

That Demon Life

Postby cool party » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:42 pm

if you found yourself otherwise liking the visual aesthetic and/or writing of the show, working past the first half of s2 is worth it. it is literally filler material that sam esmail realized he had to write because his film script was now a tv show that got renewed and he didn't know how long it was going to keep going. it also ends up having very little bearing on the development of the overall arc of the show. it moves along again after that
cool party

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 pm

cool party wrote:if you found yourself otherwise liking the visual aesthetic and/or writing of the show, working past the first half of s2 is worth it. it is literally filler material that sam esmail realized he had to write because his film script was now a tv show that got renewed and he didn't know how long it was going to keep going. it also ends up having very little bearing on the development of the overall arc of the show. it moves along again after that

Yeah it's absolutely beautiful with great acting still. And I'm always happy when Leon is on screen. But it barely matters except for vague ideas of future stuff and a (not an actual spoiler, but could hint at plot points) "twist" that everyone guessed from a mile awayToggle Spoiler

That Demon Life

Postby cool party » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:49 pm

auspice wrote:I liked the finale for the record and found it cathartic in the way I was hoping to, but the one lingering thread that still makes very little sense is wtf was up with Tyrell's death? That weird light/whale noise thing came back during Elliot's big reality-breaking-down sequence, so what was the significance of it, especially since we know Tyrell was a real person and everything involving him really happened?Toggle Spoiler

i kind of read it as just a literary device. i think in much the same way that elliot discovered that one "part" of him was really controlling his actions for a long time, when he was literally "lost in the woods," tyrell came to realize that his drive for power/wealth etc. had corrupted him and he was only able to achieve peace by disconnecting from that world. hence when he finally dies, he says that he's just "going for a walk," and almost happily and peacefully heads into the wilderness. this is also sort of reflected when tyrell's character as the CEO of F Corp in elliot's dream asks elliot if he ever thinks about leaving his boring life.Toggle Spoiler

what i was really confused about was why the dark army agent shoots tyrell when the dark army is always depicted as undyingly loyal, and whiterose had just decided she was going to make tyrell her new CEO of e-corpToggle Spoiler
cool party

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:37 pm

pana wrote:ok i'll give s2 another shot, hopefully the 2nd half wins me over

season 2 does get waaay better after the mid-season twist. season 2's main problem is that it was Sam Esmail's first attempt at real slow pacing. season 3 is paced much faster (to a fault honestly) but this last season he really perfected the slow-but-impactful vibe he was going for in s2

auspice

Postby auspice » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:41 pm

cool party wrote:
auspice wrote:I liked the finale for the record and found it cathartic in the way I was hoping to, but the one lingering thread that still makes very little sense is wtf was up with Tyrell's death? That weird light/whale noise thing came back during Elliot's big reality-breaking-down sequence, so what was the significance of it, especially since we know Tyrell was a real person and everything involving him really happened?Toggle Spoiler

i kind of read it as just a literary device. i think in much the same way that elliot discovered that one "part" of him was really controlling his actions for a long time, when he was literally "lost in the woods," tyrell came to realize that his drive for power/wealth etc. had corrupted him and he was only able to achieve peace by disconnecting from that world. hence when he finally dies, he says that he's just "going for a walk," and almost happily and peacefully heads into the wilderness. this is also sort of reflected when tyrell's character as the CEO of F Corp in elliot's dream asks elliot if he ever thinks about leaving his boring life.Toggle Spoiler

what i was really confused about was why the dark army agent shoots tyrell when the dark army is always depicted as undyingly loyal, and whiterose had just decided she was going to make tyrell her new CEO of e-corpToggle Spoiler

I thought he was shot by accidentToggle Spoiler because DA was after Elliot. Also, prior to their woods outing Tyrell did express his desire to betray them in Elliot's apartment while Elliot was being spied on.

auspice

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:44 am

I’m currently 20 minutes into the finale and I really need some answers,

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:45 am

Maybe I should watch the entire thing, that’s generally how TV works

Reliable Tradesman

Postby mego » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Just finished this. Other than wishing they didn’t use an m83 song I was happy with s4.

mego

Postby auspice » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:15 pm

mego wrote:Just finished this. Other than wishing they didn’t use an m83 song I was happy with s4.

if you watched the whole thing you should have seen M83 in the finale coming from a mile away

auspice

Postby mellowgold » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm

lol I feel like the m83 song worked. Why the hell not!!!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mego » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:36 pm

yeah i suppose... anyways it's a really good show and it ended in a good way.

Looking forward to seeing Esmail's Metropolis mini-series

mego

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....