When is the last time you listened to the band Helmet?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:10 pm

I am listening to the band Helmet right now

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

I was a pretty big Helmet fan back in the day. I remember reading some capsule review of Betty that basically said "If the Gap ever started a record label, Betty would be its first release." I thought that was funny, but I really liked the album!

Last edited by Eyeball Kid on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Page Hamilton, the band's founder and chief songwriter, is the only original member appearing on the album. Therefore, many purists object to it being called "Helmet" and consider it to be a Page Hamilton solo project. According to Hamilton, John Stanier (drums) and Henry Bogdan (bass) both declined the invitation to reunite.[citation needed]

Despite the purists' objections, the album carries on in the Helmet tradition with Hamilton's trademark staccato sound. The album was recorded as a three-piece with John Tempesta on drums and Chris Traynor (guitarist on the Aftertaste tour) on bass. After recording was done, bassist Frank Bello was brought in so Traynor could return to guitar.

Kitty's got claws.
Eyeball Kid

Postby lostintheair » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:53 am

couple months ago when the betty shows were announced and i spun it and was like YUP STILL FUCKING AWESOME
Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one
lostintheair

Postby jewels » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:26 am

about a year ago and I did not care for it. The riff to undone is pretty cool, but not enough to sustain a full song.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby lockheed » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 am

my uncle was a goth dude and he had all these helmet cds but i wasn't really in the place to care about them
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:40 am

Helmet was on the comp of alt rock bands doing Saturday morning cartoon covers:

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 am

I have not listened to anything Helmet has released since Aftertaste and was surprised to learn they had an album come out on a major label in the 21st century.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Damien Amadeus MetalWind » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 am

Albuquerque's pretty stuck in the 90's and someone at the bar last night played Helmet on the jukebox. Timely thread!
kid8 wrote:women should know when to go fucking home. or at least call it a night. the theatrics aren't helping niña.
Damien Amadeus MetalWind
ok

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:13 am

I'll probably rock some Helmet on the ol' Touchtunes tonight.
Eyeball Kid

Postby salmon of science fact » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I have not listened to anything Helmet has released since Aftertaste and was surprised to learn they had an album come out on a major label in the 21st century.

I stopped listening around this time but recently checked out all the stuff they released since then and I really like those albums. My Helmet taste went away then returned.
salmon of science fact

Postby comet » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:30 pm

i had a really conservative-wacko type of coworker at an old job who always trashed everything i listened to and called it dumb/goofy/annoying music, etc., and he was really into Helmet, always played old cassettes in the vans that had tape decks and all that, and i was sooooooooo glad when battles came out. played as much of mirrored as i could around him to see how long it took him to talk shit, and he did, and i got to rub his nose in it. that's an awful story but the last time i listened to Helmet was with that prick in a 89 econoline maybe 8 years ago
comet

Postby blogger status » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Helmet was on the comp of alt rock bands doing Saturday morning cartoon covers:

yeah lets talk about that its pretty cool

ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT
blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

The Material Issue collab with Liz Phair on the Banana Splits theme was the last thing they released in Jim Ellison's lifetime :(
Eyeball Kid

Postby Petty » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:52 pm

When is the last time you visited the town Hemet?

Potential parody thread
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
Petty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby toph » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Every time I prune down my ipod I think "oh I never listen to Helmet" then I listen to a song or two and think oh yeah I like them and then never listen to them until I do it all again the next time.
toph

Postby blogger status » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:30 pm

SPEAKING OF HELMET AND COMPS

ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT
blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby lostintheair » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 am

salmon of science fact wrote:
Eyeball Kid wrote:I have not listened to anything Helmet has released since Aftertaste and was surprised to learn they had an album come out on a major label in the 21st century.

I stopped listening around this time but recently checked out all the stuff they released since then and I really like those albums. My Helmet taste went away then returned.

helmet mkII gets pretty unfairly dismissed. in the last 3 albums there is enough good songs for at least one solid helmet album.
Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one
lostintheair

Postby Robo-Chachi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:07 am

I tend to start to listen to Meantime about once a year but pretty much always stop after Undone. That was the first song I ever learned on bass.
Robo-Chachi

Postby lostintheair » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:45 am

jewels wrote:The riff to undone is pretty cool, but not enough to sustain a full song.

Robo-Chachi wrote:I tend to start to listen to Meantime about once a year but pretty much always stop after Undone. That was the first song I ever learned on bass.

how the fuck
lostintheair

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 am

I don't know, revisiting their 90's output and while Hamilton occasionally knocks out some cool riffs, he tended to not come up with enough good stuff for a full album. Meantime doesn't even break the 36-minute mark and it feels long.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 am

The good songs are very good, though.
Eyeball Kid

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:39 am

the guy always seemed like some kind of yung republican

strap it on is kinda good though
heven’s full of merderers
DasLofGang

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Bump
Petty wrote:When is the last time you visited the town Hemet?

Potential parody thread
Eyeball Kid

Postby Robo-Chachi » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

lostintheair wrote:
jewels wrote:The riff to undone is pretty cool, but not enough to sustain a full song.

Robo-Chachi wrote:I tend to start to listen to Meantime about once a year but pretty much always stop after Undone. That was the first song I ever learned on bass.

how the fuck

I think jewels and I were both victims of autocorrect.
Robo-Chachi

Postby milknight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

wait i made tthe helmet thread today. are they actually good? i autolistened to their singles and thought they kind of stunk
milknight

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I don't know, revisiting their 90's output and while Hamilton occasionally knocks out some cool riffs, he tended to not come up with enough good stuff for a full album. Meantime doesn't even break the 36-minute mark and it feels long.

Eyeball Kid wrote:The good songs are very good, though.

Are my feelings on Helmet
Eyeball Kid

Postby milknight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:39 pm

what ae the good songs i demand that yoou list them. i will say that i love "Helmet" as a band name
milknight

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm

I haven't listened to Helmet since I started this thread in 2015!
Eyeball Kid

Postby videodrome » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Saw these guys in ‘93. Openers Jesus Lizard blew them away.
Their singles are pretty good but the full-lengths are exhausting.
videodrome

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....