Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah I think the general opinion about Colorless is that it wasn't very good but for whatever reason I liked it. I remember thinking it was one of the first times he really explained every mystery instead of leaving things vague and I wondered if he was trying that as an excercise/trying to de-rut himself. I don't think it was a classic, but I thought it was a fine read through. I still bought this one with trepidation to find out how it would be.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby walt whitman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 pm

oldie but goodie
walt whitman

Postby Bananafish » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Where can I find Miss Macintosh, My Darling at a reasonable price?

All I can find is Volume 2, or early editions that are $50+
Bananafish

Postby Meeps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I finished all the Perlstein's recently and went looking for something similar, so I picked up The Power Broker by Robert Caro. I knew nothing about 1920s politics really, so all that has been fascinating. Just got to FDR being elected governor of NY.
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.
Meeps

Postby warmhouse » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Majority of Murakami leaves me feeling "warm" but Colorless felt "cold", for lack of a better word. It was like a drafty, overcast day of a book.
warmhouse

Postby vivian darko » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 pm

i know this is the worst kind of person to be in any thread but i just want it to be said, somewhere on these last few pages, that murakami is a hack

okay sorry thank you
vivian darko

Postby alaska » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Power broker rules
I lucked out and found a copy of miss macintosh vol 1 at a bookstore in nyc. Idk where u are but maybe call around in town??
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby hey nathan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 pm

40 pages into new Murakami and weeping every few pages
hey nathan

Postby warmhouse » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 pm

vivian darko wrote:i know this is the worst kind of person to be in any thread but i just want it to be said, somewhere on these last few pages, that murakami is a hack

okay sorry thank you

warmhouse

Postby lefthandshake » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

vivian darko wrote:i know this is a good kind of person to be in any thread but i just want it to be said, somewhere on these last few pages, that murakami is a hack

okay not sorry thank you
lefthandshake

Postby deadbass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Who among us hasn't enjoyed reading the writings of a hack.
deadbass

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Now

Mrs. Ted Bliss - Stanley Elkin

Next

Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow

Then

Wheat That Springeth Green - J.F. Powers
Eyeball Kid

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 am

Murakami has definitely reached that inflection point where it's gotta be made clear by somebody that he's overrated and they haven't been fooled

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mascotte » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 am

Robert Walser - Microscripts

Amazing, minuscule writings, just discovered this author. Already downloaded his other stories translated into Polish

Walser is understood to be the missing link between Kleist and Kafka. "Indeed", writes Susan Sontag, "At the time [of Walser's writing], it was more likely to be Kafka [who was understood by posterity] through the prism of Walser. Robert Musil, another admirer among Walser's contemporaries, when he first read Kafka pronounced [Kafka's work] as, 'a peculiar case of the Walser type.'" Walser was admired early on by writers including Musil, Hermann Hesse, Stefan Zweig, Walter Benjamin and Franz Kafka, and was in fact better known in his lifetime than Kafka or Benjamin, for example, were known in their lifetimes.

Nevertheless, Walser was never able to support himself based on the meager income he made from his writings, and he worked as a copyist, an inventor's assistant, a butler and in various other low-paying trades. Despite marginal early success in his literary career, the popularity of his work gradually diminished over the second and third decades of the 20th century, making it increasingly difficult for him to support himself through writing. He eventually suffered a nervous breakdown, and spent the remainder of his life in sanatoriums, taking frequent long walks. A revival of interest in his work arose when, in the late twentieth century and the early 2000s, his writings from the Pencil Zone, also known as Bleistiftgebiet or "the Microscripts", which had been written in a coded, microscopically tiny hand on scraps of paper collected while in a Waldau sanatorium, were finally deciphered, translated, and published

mascotte

Postby cooly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 am

someone talk about tale of genji w/ me

this murakami conversation is funny to me because i was recently made curious about re-evaluating him because a friend gifted me a copy of the new penguin collection of japanese stories, which contains a forward by him
i had always written murakami off as something i would hate and i realized i had never read him and maybe that was wrong of me to do. i have all these snap judgments that fermented in my mind throughout my life that i never substantiated and i think it's good to question them once in a while
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am

I'm a fan of Murakami, but at the same time I can definitely see that he's got a distinct style, and there are things that I wish I could talk him out of putting in every book

Tropes:
* Cats
* Music references, especially jazz and classical music (this part is fine with me, I'm always down to download a new album)
* Detailed descriptions of cooking (I'm whatever about)
* Sexual stuff (completely unerotic to me, I've always wondered if it's a translation thing because it's like legit "My penis was hard now")
* 90% of the protagonists are the same exact "notably and anonymously average japanese man who loves to cook, listen to jazz and has a missing woman problem but sleeps with other women in the meantime") More than a few of these are named (when named at all) Toru or Toru Watanabe I read once is supposed to be a "John Smith" style very common name

I say all this and at the same time I think a lot of his books are really really good.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is probably his "masterpiece" and it's really great, Kafka on the Shore is the one I love the most, and Norwegian Wood is the one that made him famous, is one of his "most normal" and is also really good and decent length.

I'd read any of those before reading anything else by him.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Mr Spaceship » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Mr Spaceship

Postby tawny frogmouth » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:28 pm

murakami's like wes anderson, he's got a twee style that can cause a reader to overlook much deeper truths in his work. he also doesn't try to deviate from that twee style ever, which makes people alternately adore/hate him. i get being fed up with the style but i don't think it's inherently flawed.
tawny frogmouth

Postby mascotte » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

mascotte

Postby Pris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Finished Barbusse's Hell
Now reading Bataille's My Mother
Got that Penguin Japanese short stories lined up
Pris

Postby walt whitman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:10 pm

walser sounds cool af, thx
walt whitman

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm

cooly wrote:someone talk about tale of genji w/ me

this murakami conversation is funny to me because i was recently made curious about re-evaluating him because a friend gifted me a copy of the new penguin collection of japanese stories, which contains a forward by him
i had always written murakami off as something i would hate and i realized i had never read him and maybe that was wrong of me to do. i have all these snap judgments that fermented in my mind throughout my life that i never substantiated and i think it's good to question them once in a while

ur reading that royall tyler translation u posted upthread? i've long wanted to read this and hearing u say this makes me want to do it soooooon
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby cooly » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm

alaska, yeah. that's the translation i prefer after trying several. i have heard that murasaki shikibu's prose (and particularly her syntax) is relatively complex in the traditional chinese, which doesn't come across in the royall tyler, which makes me wonder about its faithfulness as a translation, though. the royall tyler is very smooth to read, and that edition has these extremely helpful reminders at the beginning of the chapter about who everyone in the chapter is (name, title, brief description / relation to genji), so i definitely recommend that one. there's a .mobi + .epub i have if you'd like me to DM it over (i have physical but i do most of my reading when my girlfriend is asleep so i wanted a kindle copy.)
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby alaska » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:35 pm

That sounds perfect, and there's a copy at my library 8-)

Will pick it up next week
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Just finished Killing Commendatore, won't say much because it's so new and also I'm phone boarding but I liked it for sure. Time will say where it lands on a ranking but I think this is definitely one of his good ones.

Only criticism I'll say is it could easily have been 10% shorter

Edit: Monday morning edit on evolving feelings about this book. I think that there are a lot of random things that happen in this book, he's probably got one or two many characters that means that he doesn't develop personalities as well as he could with a tighter case... overall the book is very loose which can be a good or bad thing. If you're able to give him the benefit of not caring about it being loose this book is still enjoyable and certain things will stick with me. I think this is definitely a book I'd reread of his someday, where I won't reread 1Q84, probably not After Dark, and for all I said about enjoying it I don't think I'd rush to reread Colorless Tzukuru (sp?)
Last edited by Kenny on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Smerdyakov » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I read Nico Walker's Cherry. This is being praised for being honest and gritty, but the misogyny and ableism just seem like they're being played for laughs.
Smerdyakov

Postby chad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

oh my god I got The Cruel Prince yesterday and finished it in one sitting. I think I have like 10 fairy boyfriends right now?! Ugh it was so good
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 am

Finished:

Franz Kafka - The Castle
A work of genius while also being kind of hard going.

Now onto:
Virginia Woolf – Orlando
Feels good to pick up a Woolf again for the first time since Uni. It’s been a long time since I read a book where the author described each feature of her protagonist’s face in sequence.
HotFingersClub

Postby shizaam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 am

been reading
shizaam

Postby shizaam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

Kenny wrote:I'm a fan of Murakami, but at the same time I can definitely see that he's got a distinct style, and there are things that I wish I could talk him out of putting in every book

Tropes:
* Cats
* Music references, especially jazz and classical music (this part is fine with me, I'm always down to download a new album)
* Detailed descriptions of cooking (I'm whatever about)
* Sexual stuff (completely unerotic to me, I've always wondered if it's a translation thing because it's like legit "My penis was hard now")
* 90% of the protagonists are the same exact "notably and anonymously average japanese man who loves to cook, listen to jazz and has a missing woman problem but sleeps with other women in the meantime") More than a few of these are named (when named at all) Toru or Toru Watanabe I read once is supposed to be a "John Smith" style very common name

I say all this and at the same time I think a lot of his books are really really good.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is probably his "masterpiece" and it's really great, Kafka on the Shore is the one I love the most, and Norwegian Wood is the one that made him famous, is one of his "most normal" and is also really good and decent length.

I'd read any of those before reading anything else by him.

Non-fiction, but his Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche is excellent as well
shizaam

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....