Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tonybricker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 am

Reading this now, I will reserve judgment until I’m done but it is dark and really funny

tonybricker

Postby warmhouse » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am

ahungbunny wrote:
warmhouse wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:did it get a hardcover rerelease? if it's a first print then no question

the first release is hardback. if vollman's name is spelled wrong on the back (did I spell it wrong just then?) then its a first edition.

i feel it's important to make clear that i know the initial release was hardback, hence me typing rerelease in the original post

look, im actually illiterate, so the fact i said anything at all is a miracle

warmhouse

Postby Arturo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 am

tonybricker wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:
rushedbehind wrote:i just never got around to reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude so i'm reading it now. pretty much perfect so far

lol i hate that book

I loved it initially and completely flipped on it about halfway through, I also hate it

Defo my most hated book. Found it so tedious

Arturo

Postby cruiserbob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

you guys are crazy
and that's that.

cruiserbob

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Disgusted at the Gabriel García Márquez bashing here

Eyeball Kid

Postby shizaam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Burned through outline, and just started cusk's transit. A nice change of pace after finishing powers' overstory this weekend.

shizaam

Postby Sobieski » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 pm

every marquez I've read has seemed pretty boring(especially 100 years of solititude, like why do I care if they discover ice?) but then again I can't read spanish and I'm missing all his allegories and stuff
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 pm

No Good Advice wrote:Maybe ten years ago I made a resolution to read more women. It was a big success.

This is what I do now with films.

furrowed brow

Postby Buddy Glass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Currently alternating between these two

What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.

Buddy Glass

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Are there a lot of women who write huge books? Other than Stein obviously.

i remember dfw on charlie rose (quite a pair, amirite?) doing this big feminist strawman about how he writes such long books cuz he's phalliocentric or something. idk just always wondered from then on how many women write huge novels like that and idk enough to answer the question lol
Last edited by furrowed brow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 am

Reading this myself. This guy is the best continental political philosopher for my money, zizek be damned.

furrowed brow

Postby a long gush from your hole » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:12 am

furrowed brow wrote:Reading this myself. This guy is the best continental political philosopher for my money, zizek be damned.

:lol:
現実に打ちのめされ倒れそうになっても
きっと 前を見て歩くDream Fighter

a long gush from your hole

Postby Riverchrist » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am

I hadn't read this for 7 years but happened to watch the 1999 movie again, and I'll be in Venice so wine not.

If you'd (somehow) never heard of this book and read the first 100 pages I wonder what you'd even make of it. Tom is so elegantly drawn, there are so many wonderful, small moments--he's too sick to leave his hotel but he crawls after patches of sun on the floor of his room so he won't be too pale on the beach.

Not only does the book contain a lot of excellent travel writing but it could only be written by someone who spent much of their time alone. APPROVED

This moment was glorious, he thought as he stopped to stare at the tall, towered cathedral in front of him. Wonderful to look at the dusty arches of its facade and to think of going inside tomorrow, to imagine its musty, sweetish smell, composed of the uncounted candles and incense-burnings of hundreds and hundreds of years. Anticipation! It occurred to him that his anticipation was more pleasant to him than his experiencing. Was it always going to be like that? When he spent evenings alone, handling Dickie’s possessions, simply looking at his rings on his own fingers, or his woollen ties, or his black alligator wallet, was that experiencing or anticipation?

The last section gets dull and talky as Tom repeats his alibis and fables to everyone and no one ever puts anything together. He's basically trolling them by the end.

Riverchrist

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 am

a long gush from your hole wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:Reading this myself. This guy is the best continental political philosopher for my money, zizek be damned.

:lol:

wait, are you zizek stan or a hater? or neither? I shouldn't post like he not a good philosopher.

furrowed brow

Postby i_am_agriculture » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 am

furrowed brow wrote:Are there a lot of women who write huge books? Other than Stein obviously.

You might want to check out Ayn Rand ;)

i_am_agriculture

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 am

lol, idk how i forgot her in that instance.

furrowed brow

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 am

Octavia E. Butler wrote big (very good) scifi tomes
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby No Good Advice » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 am

furrowed brow wrote:Are there a lot of women who write huge books? Other than Stein obviously.

i remember dfw on charlie rose (quite a pair, amirite?) doing this big feminist strawman about how he writes such long books cuz he's phalliocentric or something. idk just always wondered from then on how many women write huge novels like that and idk enough to answer the question lol

You should read some George Eliot

No Good Advice

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:32 am

you are not wrong. my sis's copy of middlemarch is around here somewhere. i find reading fiction in general hard right now (by which i mean for the last 3 years) tho.

thanks petty for the Butler. have heard of her, but didn't know her books are really long.

furrowed brow

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:43 am

I looked this up and it's not really true that her books are huge, so now I'm wondering who I've mixed up

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:09 am

Ezekiel Cletus

Postby Sobieski » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 am

You could read Miss MacIntosh, My Darling, I've never read it but I want to

Miss MacIntosh, My Darling is a novel by Marguerite Young. She has described it as "an exploration of the illusions, hallucinations, errors of judgment in individual lives, the central scene of the novel being an opium addict's paradise."[1]

The novel is one of the longest ever written.
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 am

ah, fantastic answer sobieski. thx

Also, was sort of thinking, why should the Neapolitan trilogy not be considered, in some sense, a single work?

furrowed brow

Postby Vegetable » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am

Tale of Genji, more like Tale of My Giant Schlong if we’re being honest.

Vegetable

Postby shizaam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

Riverchrist wrote:Image

i really want to read these

shizaam

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am

The first one is classic, the next three are really good, the last one is poor

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am

Vegetable wrote:Tale of Genji, more like Tale of My Giant Schlong if we’re being honest.

lol, thx for this.

furrowed brow

Postby cooly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

furrowed brow, have you read axel honneth? he’s one of the contemporary Frankfurt school guys and is really good

tale of genji owns btw
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

oh right. am familiar, though i haven't read him no. honestly don't know if I'd call him continental tho. I'm obv using an idiosyncratic definition, but imo Frankfurt School since Habermas really cut in a Rawlsian direction feels very analytic to me. But Idk, i guess Honneth stuff is explicitly using Hegel to look at "politics of recognition" so maybe not. lol I'm already disagreeing with this post i'm making right now, welp.

what have you read of his?
Last edited by furrowed brow on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furrowed brow

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....