Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 am

Hope Mirrlees – Lud-in-the-Mist
Pretty good, a bit long-winded. It makes sense as a precursor to people like Susanna Clarke but it’s not as artful.

Jeremy Cooper – Ash Before Oak
An autobiography about living in nature and using the natural world to claw your way out of depression. It’s a very nice read although inevitably suffers in comparison to Claire-Louise Bennett’s Pond from the same publisher. I loved all the blank space on the page – it’s a 450 page book you can read in a couple of days.

Now:
Ivy Compton-Burnett – A House and its Head

HotFingersClub

Postby speakers » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 am

mudd wrote:I didn’t like memory police all that much. The arbitrariness made the totalitarian state too whimsical for me, and it distracted me from the other qualities of the book.

m

i think the whimsical quality and the seemingly magical/unexplained effect of the memory police is obviously very intentional and should be read as like a fairy tale/dream version of reality instead of a grounded take on totalitarianism

that’s no great insight, and if that’s not your bag then it doesn’t really matter, but I think it’s exactly what the book is and is trying to do, that’s it genre, very much like murakami

speakers

Postby mudd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:47 am

yeah I don’t fault it for the effort and I agree it was deliberate, it just didn’t work for me. I think murakami over saturation is to blame for my negative reaction, in fact, as I felt similarly about his last couple books.

if you’re looking for more ogawa, I enjoyed Revenge a while back. A linked story collection that has a touch of that same surrealism but for whatever reason I recall it a lot more fondly. Maybe because I read it before subjecting myself to IQ84?

m
mudd

Postby mudd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 am

Memory police and Hurricane Season were both part of an outstanding booker international shortlist his year. I can find things to recommend about every book on that list, and it’s definitely the first time I’ve wanted to read all the books on a prize list.

The discomfort of evening won, a really weird book that wasn’t as good as Hurricane season or the adventure of China Iron but is still well worth a read. If you can handle traumatized pre-adolescents.

m
mudd

Postby Sobieski » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Image
Hope Mirrlees – Lud-in-the-Mist
Pretty good, a bit long-winded. It makes sense as a precursor to people like Susanna Clarke but it’s not as artful.

man, i’m a big fan of Lud-in-the-Mist. The end does kind of a drag a bit/underwhelming. But I thought it’s a pretty unique book, because Mirrlees is sort of a modernist writer ya know like friends with virginia woolf and stuff and this book is almost a modernist fable at the birth of fantasy. I kinda put it in the same category as Olaf Stapleton or Tolkien, early british fantasy/sci-fi entangled in literature

Last edited by Sobieski on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby chowder julius » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am

mudd wrote:Memory police and Hurricane Season were both part of an outstanding booker international shortlist his year. I can find things to recommend about every book on that list, and it’s definitely the first time I’ve wanted to read all the books on a prize list.

The discomfort of evening won, a really weird book that wasn’t as good as Hurricane season or the adventure of China Iron but is still well worth a read. If you can handle traumatized pre-adolescents.

m

i'm about half finished with the discomfort of evening and don't get what's so unsettling about it? granted my taste skews deep into fucked up territory. but it's not as weird or... discomforting as i expected, at least so far

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

This is really good! Anyone else read any June Jordan?

i_am_agriculture

Postby mudd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 pm

chowder julius wrote:
mudd wrote:The discomfort of evening won, a really weird book that wasn’t as good as Hurricane season or the adventure of China Iron but is still well worth a read. If you can handle traumatized pre-adolescents.

i'm about half finished with the discomfort of evening and don't get what's so unsettling about it? granted my taste skews deep into fucked up territory. but it's not as weird or... discomforting as i expected, at least so far

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly weird, but the pre-adolescent sexual explorations and animal abuse are gonna lead to some significant discomfort for some readers.

m
mudd

Postby sadville » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

I started little, big and I just want to savor every word
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby trigross » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 pm

hell yeah! started a reread of riddley walker but might have to do little, big.....

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby shizaam » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 am

started this morning

shizaam

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:24 am

:o
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby galactagogue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 am

incoherent grunting wrote:Image

:o

yea i love this one. carver is great
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby chowder julius » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am

i didn't like little, big as much as everyone else did! i'm not really sure why. i get what is so charming about it but i guess i wanted it to be more of everything it was

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby galactagogue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am

have not read that book, but wow that’s a very relatable take CJ
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am

I'd never read any Carver before and obviously its reputation preceded it, but it exceeded my expectations.
He maintains that delicate balance so many authors fail. I've read so many who, in retrospect, are clearly trying to mimic his style but drift into bleakness and parody.

As an aside, I had no idea he was from Oregon and you definitely get the PNW reflected in some of these stories (opposed to the stereotypically mid-west setting of his imitators).
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby aububs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:30 am

carver is an elemental
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Dirty Penny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am

I'd only read Neon Bible and I picked up Ignatius Rising (his bio) from the library recently, so I decided I should read this and I am not being hyperbolic when I say this is it. This is the greatest novel I've ever read. I am afraid that nothing will top this.

I'm speechless. Without speech. A perfect novel.

Dirty Penny

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm

that's how i've felt since i read it, too - an actual honest to goodness masterpiece

incoherent grunting

Postby mickdagger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:43 pm

mickdagger

Postby Dirty Penny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:that's how i've felt since i read it, too - an actual honest to goodness masterpiece

from the get-go, when he gets hassled by Mancuso, I knew I was going to like it. Didn't realize I would plow through it in three days and fall in love.

I hardly ever re-read books, but I immediately wanted to read it again as soon as it ended; but instead I decided to download the audiobook to listen to in the car. :mrgreen:
IG // GR

Dirty Penny

Postby poisoncup » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:07 am

Loving this. Books that meditate on the smallness of our lives in the context of history & nature are a weird kind of balm to me. Reminds me of reading Rings of Saturn for the first time. Any other suggestions along these lines?
poisoncup

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 am

when is Amazon or Hulu going to purchase the rights for an original series on Dhalgren
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 am

Shia LaBeouf IS the Kid...

walt whitman

Postby gargamel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 pm

walt whitman wrote:when is Amazon or Hulu going to purchase the rights for an original series on Dhalgren

do you see delany selling them?

gargamel

Postby gargamel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:21 pm

poisoncup wrote:Image

Loving this. Books that meditate on the smallness of our lives in the context of history & nature are a weird kind of balm to me. Reminds me of reading Rings of Saturn for the first time. Any other suggestions along these lines?

gargamel

Postby hazel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:44 pm

walt whitman wrote:Shia LaBeouf IS the Kid...

hmmmmm

hazel

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:01 pm

gargamel wrote:
walt whitman wrote:when is Amazon or Hulu going to purchase the rights for an original series on Dhalgren

do you see delany selling them?

ha, no idea!

might get shit for this but i think his work deserves a wider audience. the social issues he explores makes his fiction perfect tv material for our moment

walt whitman

Postby vivian darko » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 pm

has anyone read the new ferrante yet? going through it slowly for life reasons but curious

vivian darko

Postby elevators » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 pm

i'm getting back into reading after half a year off starting with my year of rest and relaxation and i'm just ripping through it. i have no idea what to read next after this, don't want it to end.

elevators

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....