what are you reading right now?

Let's talk hats

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:37 am

Down n dirty rufus wrote:I read Misery at age 13 and loved it. I remember losing my mind and trying to keep my shit together while reading one of the suspenseful parts during reading hour. I haven't revisited since then, but if there was any sex stuff it went over my head.

Oh yeah same, this booked rocked my world when I was an early teen
YES JACK, YES!!!!!!!

guy forget

Postby Mr Spaceship » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 pm

Has anyone read The Copenhagen Trilogy yet

Mr Spaceship

Postby vivian darko darko » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 pm

yes it rules

vivian darko darko

Postby vivian darko darko » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 pm

gets brutal though

vivian darko darko

Postby vivian darko darko » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:51 pm

wait did no one talk about abdulrazak gurnah winning the nobel in here

https://africasacountry.com/2021/10/abdulrazak-gurnahs-skepticisms

vivian darko darko

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:54 pm

richard powers - bewilderment

:?

one of the most insultingly cloying books i've tried to read put it down after 50 pages what the fuck happened richard is it called bewilderment because that's what happens when readers try to understand why someone agreed to publish it

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Richard Ford - Canada

Never read Ford before and didn't want to start in on the Bascombe books, so I went here. About halfway through and it's 👍

Eyeball Kid

Postby mancubz » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am

Harlem shuffle was good but maybe after the one-two punch of nickel boys and Underground Railroad I expected too much. A lot of the vibe of the book reminded me of deacon King Kong, which is read like a month or whatever ago so maybe it was just a lot of similar stuff at once
Started a certain hunger to kick off my spooktober kind of late
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby abs » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:10 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby RealKenny3 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:13 pm

I'm reading this book on Shakespeare that Anthony Burgess wrote that I bought in Stratford upon Avon and it's really good, I'm enjoying the hell out of it
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:25 pm

I wrapped up "The War for Gloria" on Saturday. I greatly enjoyed it, though it seemed a bit of a step back from "Preparations for the Next Life". Maybe he was trying to capture the maleteenbrain, but the focus on jargon related to sailing; MMA; physics; boston geography; buddhism; and HVAC felt like it took up 2/3 of the book. The ending takes a weird, unearned and overly cinematic turn that will likely turn some folks off, but Lish does a great job painting almost every character in a warm and empathetic light, even the horrid shitbag possible serial killer?Toggle Spoiler dad at the very end. Adrian Reinhardt is a bafflingly weird character but also reminded me of a friend of mine who died a few years ago. Gloria's progression through ALS is well documented and harrowing, though I feel like it took a back seat to the swole dude drama that dominates the last half. It's a strange book! I'd like to hear an interview with Lish because it has such a lived-in, autobiographical quality.

Dead_Wizard

Postby lusty old mule » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Graham Greene - The Honorary Consul
I thought this was gonna be more of a spy/comedy thing (and the premise of revolutionaries kidnapping the wrong man certainly lends itself to that) than it was so I guess I was a little disappointed with it. Still a good thriller though! I gotta read more Greene.
lusty old mule

Postby jirodreams » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:36 pm

jirodreams

Postby Mr Spaceship » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:31 pm

I tried to read Stoner a few years ago and couldn't get into it, I feel like I don't belong here lol

might try Augustus instead

Mr Spaceship

Postby Wrong Titus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 am

finished:

Erasure by Percival Everett--odd mix of literary satire and humane family drama. It grew together more by the end and I enjoyed it, but the two modes seem contradictory through much of it. It may have worked better as a straight satire because Everett clearly has interesting/scathing things to say about the publishing industry.

Dune--took 200 hundred pages to get over the goofy prose, but I got into it. A bit anticlimactic, but what're ya gonna do

Ian Carr's Miles Davis biography--this was kind of bizarre. I read the revised/updated version. It moves briskly through his childhood and early years with Charlie Parker, finds its (slightly less brisk) pace with his Birth of the Cool era into the mid 60's prime era stuff, then really gets verbose with his fusion stuff. I didn't mind this, because I love those albums, but it was a little odd that say 1970 gets so many more pages than his Kind of Blue era, but alas. Then, inexplicably, his comeback albums in the 80s take up about 1/3 of the book. Carr is over the moon about these albums (of which there are maybe 5 compared the the 70 odd he'd released from '50-75') He thinks the one man synth band of 86 parallels Davis' orchestral albums with Gil Evans. The biography becomes so sloggy, every single note/concert Davis played in the last 10 years of his life is given pages and pages of space. I chose to read the revised version because I was curious about the whole story, and happy was to explore his later work (which is pretty cheesy) but was so perplexed by the pace of this thing.

Wrong Titus

Postby Riverchrist » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:59 am

Published between Crash and High-Rise so no one really talks about it. And I can't blame them because this is pretty bare bones for someone 10+ years into his career. Maybe just some leftover ideas from Crash?

But I hadn't read any Ballard for a while so I enjoyed it anyway. It still has the hermetic sensuality he was so good at.

Riverchrist

Postby Folkboy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:51 pm

So good

Folkboy

Postby Wrong Titus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:35 pm

Riverchrist wrote:Image

Published between Crash and High-Rise so no one really talks about it. And I can't blame them because this is pretty bare bones for someone 10+ years into his career. Maybe just some leftover ideas from Crash?

But I hadn't read any Ballard for a while so I enjoyed it anyway. It still has the hermetic sensuality he was so good at.

This is the Ballard book that's moved/stayed with me the least, which is odd cause it came out right in his prime. But yeah, he's someone I can always read with fascination. Pick up any Ballard book and once the protagonist's last name and one or two esoteric descriptors are repeated 3x in the first 2 pages, I'm locked in and hypnotized.

Wrong Titus

Postby speakers » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:40 pm

finished V. and 40 stories and I feel very dumb so now I’m ready the New York trilogy

speakers

Postby mancubz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:31 pm

A certain hunger was fine, but holy fucking similes. Idk maybe I don’t read enough food writing to know if that’s like its thing
Reading negative space by b.r. Yeager now and holy shit I’m very into this
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm

I didn't love Negative Space but it def had a cool uzumaki vibe, very nightmarish

I am about to start Powderhouse...the 2nd of Jens Bjornboe's History of Beastiality books.

Dead_Wizard

Postby velvet anus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:01 pm

Finally got around to reading blood meridian. Finished it last night and was all hyped up and unable to sleep. Can’t wait until James Franco adapts it.

velvet anus

Postby hadlex » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 pm

There’s a screenplay for Blood Meridian floating around that Ridley Scott was going to do (I think) that ends with the Kid killing the Judge and riding into the sunsetToggle Spoiler

hadlex

Postby velvet anus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:12 pm

hadlex wrote:There’s a screenplay for Blood Meridian floating around that Ridley Scott was going to do (I think) that ends with the Kid killing the Judge and riding into the sunsetToggle Spoiler

Lmao of course

Fuck..this is more grim than a thousand baby brains flying out of a thousand fontanelsToggle Spoiler

velvet anus

Postby velvet anus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:20 pm

Also I was thinking that kid rock should change his name to man rock

velvet anus

Postby conductor » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:05 pm

FROM HELL

conductor

Postby vivian darko darko » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm

william faulkner - the sound and the fury
reread

h t tsiang - the hanging on union square
made me really want to read his other stuff

vivian darko darko

Postby The Protoplasm Kid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:08 pm

ya thanks for the rec viv i’m loving it toooooo

The Protoplasm Kid

Postby New Improved Alaska » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:09 pm

I'm glad penguin did those Asian American reissues
I read no no boy last year and it rocked
alaska1 wrote:I always look to something new amazing for more pleasure.

New Improved Alaska

Postby The Protoplasm Kid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:09 pm

The Protoplasm Kid wrote:working my way slowly through what might be the single most stunning book i will have ever read

i had to stop reading the pdf after a hundred or so pgs because i knew i needed to cherish it and both volumes finally arrived today i’m going to fall in love i’m going to be broken hearted

The Protoplasm Kid

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone