what are you reading right now?

Let's talk hats

Postby vivian darko darko » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:12 pm

New Improved Alaska wrote:I'm glad penguin did those Asian American reissues
I read no no boy last year and it rocked

just picked that up! different edition tho:

glad yr enjoying protokid, i like when mr system allies with the dsaToggle Spoiler. rlly want to do a big weiss read soon too

vivian darko darko

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 am

The Goldfinch: I loved the first half but the second half felt unnecessary.

The Fool on the Hill

Postby speakers » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am

anyone got opinions on paul auster? I’m halfway through the New York trilogy and it’s breezy reading but

speakers

Postby Grendel » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:36 am

Grendel

Postby deadbass » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm

i hope margaret atwood writing a fully TERF op-ed today (EDIT: my bad, she RT'd it... I read it and totally thought it was her op-ed... sorry) will be enough for people to stop thinking that she's a progressive feminist aspirational figure. she's been doing things like this for a while and i've found her popular perception very frustrating.

(i.e. look up the letter she wrote to defend a UBC professor who was accused of sexual harassment)
Last edited by deadbass on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadbass

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:19 pm

least surprising development ever tbh
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:28 pm

it's a RT of an article not a piece she wrote herself. not that it matters, because RTing such a gross piece means you agree with its premise which... well, I am not a biological essentialist, personally

sorry to derail this blessed thread

landspeedrecord

Postby Philip Graff » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:44 pm

The children of men, always liked the movie, book is pretty good too. Coincidentally it's set in October 2021 so I of course have to finish it very soon.
Philip Graff

Postby New Improved Alaska » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:57 pm

I just checked and you can definitely still say "woman". Just in case anyone else was curious
alaska1 wrote:I always look to something new amazing for more pleasure.

New Improved Alaska

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:00 pm

landspeedrecord

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am

I am reading The 20 Days of Turin and love it. How did this Italian MF perfectly predict social media in 1975? right down to it's founders being "perky, smiling youngsters, well groomed and well dressed...designed to win people's trust."

Dead_Wizard

Postby vivian darko darko » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:39 pm

annie ernaux - i remain in darkness

minae mizumura - an i-novel

roland barthes - writing degree zero

alexander kluge - temple of the scapegoat
think i might press pause on this one tho, it's obviously good but just not working rn

vivian darko darko

Postby mancubz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 pm

I’m loving the grip of it so far
Ugh I hate the end of spooktober book season
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby vivian darko darko » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:54 pm

the jac jemc? whoa i hated that

vivian darko darko

Postby Folkboy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:43 am

just started

Folkboy

Postby DerrickJM1993 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:47 am

Hey. So I have no idea if this forum is still in use or even accepting of new opinions and I swear I'm not coming in to post about the most pretentious book possible, but I've just started reading Finnegans Wake for the second time. Most Joyce fans are turned off by the novel's esoteric manner of language but once you develop the ability to work out what each passage means, the novel becomes probably one of the best in the entire western canon.

DerrickJM1993

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:06 am

I had no idea Paul Kingsnorth converted to Christianity and is getting signal boosted by Rod Dreher now lol

Dead_Wizard

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:44 pm

DerrickJM1993 wrote:Hey. So I have no idea if this forum is still in use or even accepting of new opinions and I swear I'm not coming in to post about the most pretentious book possible, but I've just started reading Finnegans Wake for the second time. Most Joyce fans are turned off by the novel's esoteric manner of language but once you develop the ability to work out what each passage means, the novel becomes probably one of the best in the entire western canon.

:cry:
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby concerning » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:56 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:I had no idea Paul Kingsnorth converted to Christianity and is getting signal boosted by Rod Dreher now lol

i found this out recently too and i thought his essay about converting was really beautiful and touching. then i went to his new substack and it was pretty dire stuff, sadly.

this led me to the distressing realization that doestoyevsky would have been getting the dreher rt.

concerning

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:14 pm

Revisiting The Book of Disquiet to prep myself for Richard Zenith's massive Pessoa bio and I've hit an especially inspiring bit:

Eyeball Kid

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:46 pm

looks like the promise by damon galgut won the man booker which had not been on my radar does anyone know about it

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby shacky » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:Revisiting The Book of Disquiet to prep myself for Richard Zenith's massive Pessoa bio and I've hit an especially inspiring bit:

there's a poetry channel on youtube called A Poetry Channel that has really good readings of pessoa that i sometimes listen to

really wanna read the bio but 1088 pages is pretty intimidating

shacky

Postby Seamus » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:05 am

The new Dalkey editions look really nice. I just got an ugly edition of Wittgenstein's Mistress as well :(
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby RealKenny3 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:13 am

I finished the first book of three of The Deer and the Cauldron, a wuxia novel by Jin Yong. It's been really good so far, a page turner which is good because there's about 1600 pages to turn in the whole book.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby lusty old mule » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Operation Shylock: A Confession by Philip Roth

Finished Operation Shylock a few days ago. It's a fictional account presented as autobiography presented as fiction. Or it's autobiography presented as fiction presented as autobiography? It opens with Roth recovering from a Halcion induced breakdown, discovering he has a doppelganger in Israel promoting diasporism, and then travelling to Jerusalem where he gets relentlessly ping-ponged in increasingly absurd fashion between the doppelganger, the PLO, and Mossad. Very fun (and funny!) book.
lusty old mule

Postby adam sampler » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:43 pm

just finished

currently between

adam sampler

Postby saranclaps » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:54 pm

The Trees Percival Everett
Not my favorite by him. Fuzzy on the what ending was.

Midnight Library
Im generally skeptical of like Today Show book picks but I absolutely loved this and I cried a bunch.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Riverchrist » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:24 pm

Volume 1 is an origin story each for Fafhrd (featuring an acrobatic feat worthy of any TTRPG... or an episode of Jackass) and the Gray Mouser (with some truly absurdly over the top villain dialogue) then their first adventure together, in the title story, which is the best one. The high-flown dialogue works well this time--they like and want to impress each other. Also they're pretty hammered.

Volume 2 is mostly stuff from the 40s and 50s with new material at the beginning and end to try and create an overarching story. "The Jewels in the Forest" was the first story he wrote for the duo and it's a haunted house story. "The Sunken Land" is a Lovecraft story. I approve all of this. I enjoy the brisk pace of the adventures more now than I would have as a kid reading LOTR or whatever. "The Price of Pain-Ease" is a novel's worth of plot in 15 pages.

Riverchrist

Postby New Improved Alaska » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:35 pm

The Protoplasm Kid wrote:
The Protoplasm Kid wrote:working my way slowly through what might be the single most stunning book i will have ever read

i had to stop reading the pdf after a hundred or so pgs because i knew i needed to cherish it and both volumes finally arrived today i’m going to fall in love i’m going to be broken hearted

I got this from the library today and read some on the train
It's................ so good lol
alaska1 wrote:I always look to something new amazing for more pleasure.

New Improved Alaska

Postby vivian darko darko » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:39 pm

oh hey i'm doing
peter weiss - leavetaking
and it's incredible so far

finished:
abdulrazak gurnah - paradise

benjamin labatut - when we cease to understand the world

vivian darko darko

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone