Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby abs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 am

appreciate everyone's perspective. personally, the goal makes me keep reading even when I'm busy. I try to tackle a few "classics" each year, and keep in mind that some books are really short and others are really long. but the goal (and being able to track it) help so much.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 am

My only goal is to revisit more books I've loved previously. It use to be I'd reread just one book in a calendar year; while I have never set an exact number of books I'd like to revisit, the number I hope for always exceeds what I end up doing.

I keep wanting to reread Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote. Now that I've posted that, I hope to actually do it.
Eyeball Kid

Postby blurst of times » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:55 am

I should read online longform articles less often and read more nonfiction books instead. (Also just a good idea to spend less time online in general). My page total from this year is probably pretty high but the number of books I finished is still low. Setting concrete goals for next year is actually a good idea
blurst of times
ride.

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 am

I think I'll be at 66 by the end of the year but a bunch of those are pretty short. I also abandon some books before finishing them, and yet I still count them! Frightful oaf that I am.

I keep track of numbers but I don't set a target, for exactly the reason Petty mentioned. Keeping track does keep me motivated to read more, though. In the space of two years I went from about 5 books to 100 per year, which felt like a really positive change. It's cooled off now because my life is overall more enjoyable outside of books. If I can read a book a week, I'm happy.
HotFingersClub

Postby ocean pimp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:58 am

i'm that bitch that listens to gangsta rap on the way to the farmers market after yoga
ocean pimp

Postby tanaka » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:43 am

i do a fair bit of reading because i'm single and have no friends. i don't bother keeping track of how much i've read, but i think i finish about one book a week, so if i could work out how many weeks there are in a year i'd have some approximate idea. rather than setting some kinda target to hit, which would turn me off reading altogether, instead i like to set myself a theme for the year (setting/genre/topic/whatever), learn about something new. this year i focused on china: the mao years, and during insomnia hours i slowly worked thru the journals of eliade. i really dig reading the journals and letters of writers, not so much the confessional sort, but the ones rich with little impressions and details of their lives. reading about what other people are reading is probably my favorite thing to read about. for next year i wanna pick up mihail sebastian's journal and then move onto gershom scholem, his letters and correspondence w/ walter benjamin. if anyone knows of any other good journal/letter collections send your reccs my way.

i intended to finish the year off with the non-fiction i posted a page or so back but i got distracted and ended up reading Black Snow, which left me feeling real maudlin all week long

tanaka

Postby Melville » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 pm

cooly wrote:
Melville wrote:
cooly wrote:the reason section only makes any sense if you've studied kant pretty thoroughly. it's the section of the book that is most directly in engagement with another system, so this reaction makes sense.

I've read a fair bit of Kant (Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, one of his books on ethics), but I probably should have been doing more direct cross-referencing while reading the reason section of Hegel. I think I've now mostly forgotten what was actually in that section, other than some obviously outdated science. I should read more philosophy. Every once in a while I realize my mind has turned to absolute mush.

sorry, i think i was trying to assuage worries about not being able to make sense of that section by pointing to some of the presuppositions / hidden debates taking place there, but i ended up sounding (on looking back at my post) kind of vague and maybe sounding dismissive in assuming your background on kant.

No worries. Thanks for making the connection to Critique of Judgement. I love Kant but for some reason never delved into that one. I think I skipped it thinking it was mostly aesthetics. The wikipedia article makes it sound pretty great.
Melville

Postby ahungbunny » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 pm

Getbetter wrote:I'm reading , Surviving the Ramones and it's kinda bad yet Dee Dee is my favorite Ramone from reading Please Kill Me so I'm invested this far I'm going to finish it. Yet maybe I forgot that they mention that the Ramones name came from Paul Mccarthey fake name Joey Ramone or "xxxxx Ramone" kinda made me not like their name. It makes me wonder if once I get to point where I idolizing a band learning their inspirations are things I don't like, suck because it does make me less of fan. I think the Beatles are good band but they are overrated. Just like how the Sex Pistols thought of the Ramones, you would think they are gang or bad asses and not dudes who love the Beatles.

Edit: I just read about Johnny throwing rocks at the Beatles ... :/ Kind of redeemed

for what it's worth, dee dee's novel chelsea horror hotel is one of the worst books i've ever read
ahungbunny

Postby son of chucky » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 pm

some of this is over my head but i'm enjoying it

I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby theta » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 pm

hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby the upland trout » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am

cooly wrote:
the upland trout wrote:I've read a bit of the Brandom text and it seems really interesting. Do you have any idea how close it is to publication?

Have you read Beiser?

yeah, what you said about the text is exactly how i feel about it, and i'm very glad to hear that you're finding it interesting. it's very close to publication. i think the wheels are in motion and the ms is complete.

i have read some beiser. i think he's very good as an intellectual historian, but i didn't mention the hegel book because iirc it's very survey-ish. i don't think it would answer any of your questions on the phg, and it sounds like you're familiar enough with the intellectual context that i'm not sure how much good that one would do for you?

that fate of reason book is more relevant to my current project, and i think that one's very good. i would definitely read more of his stuff. the one on the german historicist tradition has been catching my eye lately. is there one you were considering or thinking of recommending?

I was just curious about your thoughts of Beiser as an intellectual historian of that era.

I'm reading his Hegel introduction right now. It's pretty basic but it seems good. And I could use a good survey to refresh my memory with because I really haven't studied this period of philosophy since graduate school.

I read a lot of Beiser's essays in school and have picked up a few of his books. The Fate of Reason and The Romantic Imperative are the two that most interest me right now.
the upland trout

Postby santos l halper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 am

I thought this was great - a short, punchy, polemical book, and one whose effect is quite unsettling. It lacks nuance in some aspects, and his brief critical readings of Stiegler and Deleuze/Guattari are not particularly satisfying, but as an attack on some of the platitudes surrounding digital technologies and "new" media, it's extremely effective.
santos l halper

Postby chimp » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:55 am

yeah i liked that 24/7 book too
chimp

Postby adam sampler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 am

adam sampler

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:41 am

the chandelier is excellent, might be my favorite lispector. cant believe it hasnt been translated until now.
wollogallu

Postby santos l halper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am

wollogallu wrote:the chandelier is excellent, might be my favorite lispector. cant believe it hasnt been translated until now.

I need this asap! I didn't think it was out yet tho?
santos l halper

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:50 am

yeah its not, march maybe? i got an arc of it luckily!
wollogallu

Postby santos l halper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

oh damn, so envious. obviously from my av i'm a huge lispector fan, think i've read everything that's been translated so far and really glad more stuff is coming.
santos l halper

Postby wollogallu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 am

when pms arent broken pm me your address
wollogallu

Postby santos l halper » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:54 pm

will do, thank you!
santos l halper

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Now reading:

Penguin usually does A+ work on their Classics line, but holy shit, this attempt to literally represent the central figure in the novel is a misfire
Eyeball Kid

Postby theta » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:31 pm

agreed, that cover is really bad

currently reading

hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm

ahungbunny wrote:
Getbetter wrote:I'm reading , Surviving the Ramones and it's kinda bad yet Dee Dee is my favorite Ramone from reading Please Kill Me so I'm invested this far I'm going to finish it. Yet maybe I forgot that they mention that the Ramones name came from Paul Mccarthey fake name Joey Ramone or "xxxxx Ramone" kinda made me not like their name. It makes me wonder if once I get to point where I idolizing a band learning their inspirations are things I don't like, suck because it does make me less of fan. I think the Beatles are good band but they are overrated. Just like how the Sex Pistols thought of the Ramones, you would think they are gang or bad asses and not dudes who love the Beatles.

Edit: I just read about Johnny throwing rocks at the Beatles ... :/ Kind of redeemed

for what it's worth, dee dee's novel chelsea horror hotel is one of the worst books i've ever read

read chelsea hotel horror at 19 maybe when I was in college on like 14 adderall one night and it was such a wild ride
go now by richard hell the same night
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby dvr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:12 am

son of chucky wrote:some of this is over my head but i'm enjoying it

I actually opened this thread to ask if anyone had a recc for a book about Eastern religion. Ideally I'm looking for something that's centers on people/locations rather than the technicalities of spiritual concepts (particularly not interested in how the ideas can be applied to a western mind). I guess I'm looking for a biography/history.
dvr

Postby son of chucky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:28 am

dvr, yeah, that one probably isn't the book you want then. it kinda just goes through the core concepts of zen buddhism. i'd also be interested in a history of buddhism if anyone knows a good one.
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Can anybody help me remember this teen novel about a kid who'se family moves to the frontier land in near revolutionary america and then his whole family gets killed (specifically scalped, I remember)
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby wollogallu » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm

i am regina is what that brings to mind
wollogallu

Postby gandhi » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 pm

My struggle book three
On Food and Cooking
gandhi

Postby the upland trout » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 pm

About a third of the way into this:
It's great and is set in the same universe as these two books, which I have recently finished:
ImageImage
These books are among my very favorites right now. Sometimes they tested my patience a bit, but mostly they were really fucking fun and weird.
the upland trout

Postby quaker city » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:08 am

got this for christmas
excited to start
quaker city

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....