Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby vivian darko » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:30 am

Yall like Fleur Jaeggy? Feel like I've seen her name mentioned here a couple times, and it seems like she's one of New Directions's latest investments. Sweet Days of Discipline didn't sell me completely at the time but I read These Possible Lives the other day and she's definitely a wholly unique writer.
vivian darko

Postby chimp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 am

halfway through "the scar" by china mieville. love this guy's writing (so far i've read perdido street station and embassytown). the descriptions of new crobuzon make me want to move to london
chimp

Postby wollogallu » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 am

jaeggy is great

the scar is my fav mieville i think
wollogallu

Postby forest design » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:00 pm

wollogallu wrote:the chandelier is excellent, might be my favorite lispector. cant believe it hasnt been translated until now.

Cannot wait for this
forest design

Postby trigross » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 pm

the upland trout wrote:About a third of the way into this:
It's great and is set in the same universe as these two books, which I have recently finished:
ImageImage
These books are among my very favorites right now. Sometimes they tested my patience a bit, but mostly they were really fucking fun and weird.

nice. i bought all three for fun an zuntig came first so i read a bit of it

super weird, love it

love a swamp ape
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby walt whitman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:59 pm

walt whitman

Postby theta » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:48 pm

hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby joebagel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:53 pm

good as fuck

joebagel

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:57 pm

mercenaries of slime

Postby walt whitman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 pm

mina loy's cool
walt whitman

Postby abs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:37 am

so good. what a talented writer for children to read.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby chimp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 am

wollogallu wrote:jaeggy is great

the scar is my fav mieville i think

yeah the scar continued to own throughout
chimp

Postby chimp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 am

now starting "austral" by paul mcauley
chimp

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 am

Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 am

Board is life moment:

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby dvr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am

How is that board is life?
dvr

Postby bongo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am

ivyland
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:46 am

Ivyland was written by boarder Millionbear

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:15 am

Reading now at work:

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 am

Balcony in the Forest by Julien Gracq

This will be my last book for 2017; I'll do a post in the Best Books thread once I'm through.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Dead_Wizard » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:05 pm

started reading Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer and really curious what the reception was like when it came out. Horus just shoved a head of lettuce down Set's throat as a party trick then huffed his farts, which spoke to Horus as they came outta Set's ass.
Dead_Wizard

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 pm

I happened to be reading that when the news broke that Mailer died. I was about 50 pages into it and ready to quit; his death inspired me to keep going.

I lasted another 25 pages.
Eyeball Kid

Postby number none » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Ancient Evenings was critically savaged on release

it was kind of the byword for grand literary follies for a while
number none

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23 pm

The running joke was that it is was 700 pages of shit. There certainly was a lot of feces in what of the book I read.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Image

Balcony in the Forest by Julien Gracq

This will be my last book for 2017; I'll do a post in the Best Books thread once I'm through.

I just got this for Christmas; it will be one of my first of 2018.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Kenny wrote:Reading now at work:

This turned out to be a surprising amount of fun. The plot is completely different than the movie, it just has Baby Herman, Jessica and Roger Rabbit and Eddie Valient, and their personalities are pretty different.

I just bought it because the cover was so 80s looking and it was cheap on Kindle but that turned out to be a fun little impulse buy

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby goldsoundz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm

goldsoundz

Postby warmhouse » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm

here's my very long 2017: the names of the books should be visible, ive added the ones that aren't.

sorry that this is so long. i dont know how to hide it.

decent but kinda all over the place and a little gossipy at times. could do with 50 pages cut out of it.

caveat: i haven't actually read the tempest, so maybe reading this wasn't a good idea. that's my bad. this relied too heavily on dialogue for my taste, and atwood can show her age VERY easily. felt like she had to prove that she had done her homework, when Felix's story as a retelling of the play would have been far more interesting. who knows.

this was a weird one. a great premise, and with great potential, but weighed down by so much DRIVEL. really could have been about something incredible, or at least a thriller of some sort, and had the imagery to back it up, but it just felt like Erickson was trying to see how much writing he could get away with that said NOTHING for paragraphs at a time.

Great! Bleak as fuck, with great world building, which was lucky, because the story wouldn't have been enough to work on its own without the impending doom laying over everything. Excited to see where it goes from here...

Amazingly brilliant and wonderful and an utter delight to read. Scarily relevant to the world today. Charming and funny as all hell. One of my top-5 books of all time.

good, but lacking the payoff that you felt was coming. obviously intensely researched and very authentic feeling, but if simple nihilistic rage was the point of it all, then it didn't really land as well as it could have. parts of the memoir were also way too literary to seem believable.

very subtle and intense and the space cowboy scene scared the shit out of me. ended a little strangely, probably could have been done better. top tier-King.

Curious book. Very well written, to the point where at times I forgot I wasn't reading a non-fiction memoir. But again, Smith does that thing where just as the action is kicking off she closes the novel. Feels anticlimactic in a sense but the rest of it is so good it feels okay. Just kind of unsure what her thesis was...

French is an amazing author; far better than you'd think for someone pumping out what seems like regular police procedural stuff. The premise of this is a little flimsy (as if they wouldn't pick her??) but once it gets going it could last forever. Some of the Australian stuff at the end was a bit wrong but I can forgive her for that. I'mareadtherest.

Pretty dull, and let down by the twist that it abandons halfway through, which would have been a better ending. The main character you just want to shake by the shoulders and abandon. Oh well.

"Susceptible" by Genevieve Castree
FUCK THIS IS SO GOOD

murakami does camus and oedipus? really engrossing but MAYBE just a little too vague in its workings. didn't want to leave the world, but wish the characters had a little more intent (this review can be transplanted to any other murakami book)... also wish the transcripts at the beginning either kept going or never happened.

Very nice and fun and easy, but I'd almost definitely never read it if it weren't a Murakami. He's an interesting man... childlike and morose at the same time. Wish there was more in the way of autobiographical stuff too.

great but a teeeeeeeny bit long. the dynamics between characters gets set up early on, and from there it gets a little repetitive (especially between mr and mrs levy). if this had ended 30 pages sooner i think i would have loved it instead of liked it. reminds me of IJ.

i love Ellis' e-newsletter, so this was all familiar territory. Wish there was more, and with some lengthier pieces, though. He'd do a fantastic essay collection - which I guess this is.

WEIRD book. Basically a Dark Tower novel; if you weren't familiar with the series, huge stretches of this would make a lot less sense, which is weird because the first Talisman just felt like a lesser version of the DT story. So why lean into the worst part about the first book? Far too meta at parts, as well. Half the time I just wanted them to focus and tell a story, and quit it with the whole broad-stroke narrative technique.

well written, but lets be honest: this is the dullest decade of his life, and Wings were terrible.

sorta disappointing because the premise seemed so cool and it didn't entirely live up to it. painted with VERY broad strokes, which worked, but also added a sort of distance to everything that didn't work all the time. reminded me of STONER. would go paragraphs detailing intense inner-thoughts then skip months. hmmm

another obscene, painful knockout. how he does it I have no idea. I think I may prefer the home-life stuff to the travel and the drinking and the sadness, but it's all great when its in the same pot together.

not great; too short to really let the spooks roll up on you. some of the time-melding was cool but really just an idea that never went where it could have.

An EXTREMELY interesting look into a great man's life. Wish we could all be so lucky.

fascinating and humanising (is that a good thing?) but wasn't as broad as I was expecting. Was half the biography of one man, half a regurgitating of his diary. Seems like it might have been better suited to a longform article instead of a whole book!

surprisingly interesting and good and not just "funny" - really bizarre, almost infinite-jesty footnotes and a strange meandering, unedited way that reads easily but must have been extremely complicated to write. brilliant!

absolutely beautiful and wretchedly thick like molasses writing. didn't resolve the way my brain wants things to, but good characters, very lifelike in its approach. could see this being a miniseries but also want a sequel; not quite ready to let go yet.

great. dark and brutal in the way most of his bachman stuff is, with this fun, coke-tinged edge that is missing from a lot of his other work. nihilistic in all the best ways.

enlightening but depressing. bad decision making, too many assumptions, bad use of data, NO POLLING IN THE ENTIRE FINAL MONTH????, also bernie would have won.

fun! too long. kind of silly. surprisingly realistic. pointless? maybe.

really great, almost knausgard-y in its poetic telling of small lives. perhaps the cathedral stuff didn't come to the end it seemed like it was leaning towards, but it was good to break up the rest of it. you think its getting boring and repetitive and then you put it down and miss the family that never existed in the first place. gorgeous.

not every book needs to be compared to infinite jest but this really reminded me of it in a bad way. Hobson seemed a little too excited about the idea, and a little too reliant on dialogue, to the point of wastefulness, for this to really be successful. Bogged down by his own cleverness. An editor (especially a copyeditor) should have cut about 10% of the fluff here. potential missed. im certain im missing some references, allegories, etc. here, but i basically just wanted this to be over as soon as it started.

my second Ellis thing and all the problems I had with the first, NORMAL, are here too. It just feels like I'm watching Ellis repeat futurism stuff he read in a journal article with a really flimsy story (that feels entirely unimportant) built around it. he's obviously done his research. i mean that in a bad way. he's OBVIOUSLY done his research. you can't help but notice that he's been looking into stuff. not authentic feeling at all.

in the end basically a struggle to get through due to my own disinterest in football - but i knew what i was getting myself into. the best parts were knausgaard's musing on his own quiet life and ekelund's childlike wonder with basically everything he came across. the football was the second-most important thing here.

good, but mildly tedious. like with a lot of King stuff, it's not about the plot, it's about the characters that react to what's happening to them. this is a semi-interesting premise saved by real feeling people but let down by about 150 too many pages and not enough explanation of the workings behind the mystery. also what happens to trans people?

great. maybe too funny for its own good - the characters are witty and quick and biting to the point of it feeling like a comedy sometimes. loved the quick, dreaminess of it all, and that so many questions are left unanswered. AND that it just ENDS - real refreshing in that way. no lengthy denouements.

really did nothing for me. thought it was going to be this poetic lunge towards a love for wet air but just regurgitated facts and blathered on about raincoats. bit disappointing.

not great, but quick and easy enough. can pretty well see Crichton's research spilling out in front of you. interesting that we had virtually zero interest or background to any of the characters, it was all just pure action and plot. im never going to read it again but i dont regret that i did.

really informative for someone who only had a surface level knowledge of the band, just a shame it ended before things REALLY got interesting in the band... very well written and i appreciate that it didn't take too long to get stuck into things. a respectable bio.

DAWN by Phil Elverum 5/5 one of my favourite books of all time, even better the second time around

compelling, but feels far too focussed on other people (her parents, mostly). which is maybe telling... but the book, and her writing, really soared when she was talking about herself. her entire life seemed overwhelmed by her parent's presence that even in a memoir about her own death she couldn't escape from them.
warmhouse

Postby supersaturated » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:09 pm

If you have any desire to read Susan Sontag get dragged, posthumously, by friends of hers, I recommend these 2 works:

‘Sempre Susan’ by Sigrid Nunez

and

‘Desperately Seeking Susan’ by Terry Castle https://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n06/terry-castle/desperately-seeking-susan

Both are good; I thought the Terry Castle piece was really funny.
supersaturated

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....