Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby object » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 am

madness and chaos wrote:what is the best philip k dick to start with? I have no idea why I haven't read this brilliant man yet, seeing as we are quite similar in ideas and insanity

ubik?
i've seen a scanner darkly and want to read the book if it's different at all from the movie

that db is loaded!!!! which are the best? Are some of those short stories?

three stigmata sounds great too

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said is my rec
object

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 am

that ones good
walt whitman

Postby RIXX » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 am

can't put it down. what a trainwreck
RIXX

Postby Conetoaster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 am

I want to read that so bad! I am fascinated by how it got as far as it did. I have a lot of pals who work bringing medical devices/products to healthcare systems and it is insane how difficult it can be to jump through the hoops.
Conetoaster

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am

I read Islam: A Very Short Introduction over the past few days.

Half of it was really good, gave you a pretty good overview of the religion, where it came from, what people believe in it etc. but I felt it spent too much time talking about the politics of current Islamic countries. I want more in-depth discussion of like what the Quran says, are there any pretty parts, why do people convert to Islam in the modern world, talk about the Sunnah more in depth (which to be fair I learned existed from the book)

Too much of it felt like a defense of Islam as "It's not just terrorists!" which I get is the time we live in but I wanted more about the religion.

Like you hear people a lot saying that Islam is a "beautiful religion" when to me it seems to be surprisingly legalistic and dry (which is not a bad thing but I want to know, or hear form people, what they think is beautiful about it (in a tone: interested way)

There's another VSI about The Koran but I dunno
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Slamwich Artist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am

Kenny wrote:There's another VSI about The Koran but I dunno

you should read it! i think it would be a very different experience than the ruthven
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby dvr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm

This is great. Almost reads like Peter Hessler's 4th book on China
dvr

Postby ... » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 am

Postby Malcolm Money » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm

excellent so far, it's been a few years since I read I Curse the River of Time
Why do so many white people feel they have something to say artistically?
Malcolm Money

Postby hadlex » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Finished "Pride and Prejudice" and "Destiny of the Republic" (which was terrific). Now that summer's in full swing, it's time to get hard-boiled.

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby cruiserbob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 pm

anyone read that new Tommy Orange novel? i really enjoyed his story in the New Yorker.
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby the upland trout » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Finally finished this:
This was really incredible but not something that can be read quickly or even linearly. I can imagine it being my favorite of Le Guin's books after I spend more time with it.

Starting these:

the upland trout

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Kenny wrote:Now reading:

Which I bought years ago and then never touched

Finished this. I thought it was interesting to have a story collection about a bunch of basically unhappy things, and it gave me some interesting perspective but in the end I didn't really love it

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby dcm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:58 pm

This was good and pretty off-kilter (though totally straightforward, unadorned prose). the final third was a highlight. shout out toofer spurlock for the recc from what feels like a century ago
dcm

Postby vivian darko » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:
vivian darko wrote:helen dewitt in larb: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-wrong-stuff/#

you should check out the briggs i posted last page
seems to be quite harmonious w/ what dewitt is spelling out here, at least methodologically

i will do so! that briggs has been in my sights

anyone have recommendations for audiobooks? thinking of stuff that's more plotty than prose-y but also not awful. some stuff that's worked for me in the past, or is in the vein i'm looking for:

black wings has my angel by elliott chaze
universal harvester by john darnielle
we have always lived in the castle by shirley jackson
vivian darko

Postby Riverchrist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Pinhead and Lucifer street fighting for supremacy at the gates of Hell? That should be good, right? Well probably not since that's not what people like about the original stories. And Barker fans really seem to hate this. The prevailing theory is that he handed off an outline to the guy who runs his production company and let him write most of the book.

It has some of the corniest dialogue and worst-written gay characters ever. It's also riddled with typos and editing mistakes. So overall only slightly better than Neil Gaiman.
Riverchrist

Postby Dirty Penny » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey, I have a question for people using LibraryThing:

Is there a way to add "date read" to the main column (author, title, rating, etc)? I went to settings to customize it but they don't have a "date read" option to add.
Dirty Penny

Postby death is my amigo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:03 pm

been really devouring Barthelme lately, can I get reccs for other stuff in this vein?
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby number none » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm

These authors are not necessarily like him, but you could always try Don B's own syllabus

https://www.believermag.com/issues/200310/?read=barthelme_syllabus
number none

Postby mudd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm

diane williams, maybe gary lutz?

m
mudd

Postby Dead_Wizard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Finished up Fiends Fell. by Tom Pickard over the weekend. Loved it - poetic journal of his time laying low in windy moors of northern england. Bucolic malaise, old man horniness, vivid descriptions of fog and birds...it's got it all!

Have Pete O'Leary's book of poetic critique "Thick and Dazzling Darkness" en route.
Dead_Wizard

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:27 pm

death is my amigo wrote:been really devouring Barthelme lately, can I get reccs for other stuff in this vein?

david ohle
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 pm

this is quite good so far, the prose is really lucid and relatable for me (guy being a jaded on academics ohioan finding himself stranded on the west coast drinking too much and having to realign). it’s slight and breezy but not short on poignant and concise mindfulness insights.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 pm

I once read The Gods Drink Whiskey because it was a cool title.

Not that interesting a book

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm

all i seem to be able to read rn is Stephen Kings The Gunslinger/ the Dark Tower series
walt whitman

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm

SICK! I need to find an epub of that timothy leary book. Is that how you're reading it, by chance?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby abs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 pm

man i've hit a total wall with reading lately. finishing three separate things but not really making progress on any? ugh. just want to get through something.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 pm

I switched to my backlog of NYers as I had the same problem
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby mission » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 am

abs wrote:man i've hit a total wall with reading lately. finishing three separate things but not really making progress on any? ugh. just want to get through something.

I recommend, for you, Edward Lewis Wallant's Tenants of Moonbloom

or Emma Cline's The Girls

Easily digested. Enough "Yesss - please stay in my memory" moments to make the rest worth your while.
Good.
mission

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....