Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby madness and chaos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:07 pm

I read Tropic of Cancer in my week of bougie rehab and I can't wait any longer to read more Miller
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby worrywort » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 pm

afaik it's the normal one. he's a much better than average character writer and his books are usually good/entertaining even when the premise is goofy, he's even got a fair share of great-to-masterpiece books. but he's also got his duds, his treatment of race/racism vacillates wildly between honest to goodness reckoning and well-meaning-white-guy-doing-unintended-racism-101, he sometimes overdoes it with the King-isms, and you always have an even chance the ending will suck.
worrywort

Postby Honga Ciganesta » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:00 am

Pretty funny book about a French publisher coming to terms with e readers and the like. And it's very, very French. “She used to be incredibly good-looking and now at thirtysomething she is creditably handsome.” A girl comes into the office ''redheadedly'' and all lunches are lovingly described. There's a sense of sadness too as the narrator confronts changes in all areas to do with aging and the like.

The writer is head of that French group who do the constrained writing (A Void etc). He explains the constraint in an afterword but, embarrassingly, I had no idea what he meant. The afterword has a good overview of the general idea of constrained writing though.
Honga Ciganesta

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am

reversemigraine

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Finished my reread of LOTR recently and I was struck by how good ROTK was, even more than how much I liked Twin Towers this time through. I guess I'm getting older (?) because a lot of the sad "Things will change forever now" stuff got to me more this time.

I also finished catching up on P.C. Hodgell's Kencyrath series so now I've read all the books that are out and can actually read her blog when she gives out snippets of the next one.

I'm gonna read Wolf Hall now
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby madness and chaos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 pm

is Ben Marcus worth reading?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby tanaka » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Super interesting study of Sweden's "China Experts" of the last century and how their individual motives impacted the picture of China they presented back home in Europe. Despite the differences of historical context, they all shared a number of telling commonalities. Apart from one, they all had either a poor or non-existent grasp of the language and relied on interpreters and guides provided by the state. The vision of the country they presented to the west served the interests of the Chinese elite by conjuring a China where a homogeneous mass of passive, satisfied peasants are benevolently ruled by wise technocrats, whether Confucian or communist. By collaborating with the Chinese ruling class, they managed to transform their fortunes and elevate their status in the west, graverobbers became archaeologists, failed novelists turned state propagandists became anthropologists. The funniest section involves an explorer who tries to smuggle a Buddhist temple out of the country.
tanaka

Postby warmhouse » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:04 am

Dirty Penny wrote:I'm blowing through the newest Stephen King, The Outsider.

I'm a sucker for King, man. He's like comfort food. This is a pretty fun read so far. His recent trilogy of books was a fun caper and it looks like he's hitting a sweet streak with detective fiction.

FTR, I've read Carrie through Thinner (excluding Dark Tower books - saving those to read in a row) and Under the Dome through this newest one.

I'm not surw what the hipinion is of him tho

i think the key to reading SK is that it's not about the plot, it's about the people.

you should definitely give DUMA KEY, BAG OF BONES and LISEY'S STORY a go. REVIVAL was amazing and one of the rare times he's nailed an ending.

I think the fact that he's released so many things kinda dilutes the end results but I'd rather a couple of duds than nothing at all.
warmhouse

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:15 am

madness and chaos wrote:is Ben Marcus worth reading?

I would say definitely yes and that he was my way back into contemporary fiction after a long time away, but I think opinion varies a lot in this thread.

I think he’s formally incredibly inventive. His books create a mindbending atmosphere of static and decay which I really love.

Check out The Flame Alphabet; it’s pretty short and a good accessible place to start
HotFingersClub

Postby walt whitman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:39 pm

ben marcus' notable american women was p incredible and fun. probably the only entertaining time i had w experimental fiction (im admittedly a novice in that area)
walt whitman

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:41 pm

what other 'experimental' fiction is recommended or decent?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby vivian darko » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:52 pm

tad broad
vivian darko

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 pm

favs? canon? why is that so hard
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby bluemovers » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:03 pm

has anyone on the board read the Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne series by Brian Stavely? i am nearly through the second one and it's scratching an itch, but i haven't had anyone to discuss with.
bluemovers

Postby vivian darko » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:30 pm

madness and chaos wrote:favs? canon? why is that so hard

i think experiment encompasses a near majority of books that are still read, but i guess i'd recommend tender buttons.
vivian darko

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:35 pm

vivian darko wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:favs? canon? why is that so hard

i think experiment encompasses a near majority of books that are still read, but i guess i'd recommend tender buttons.

yr right, though. I was maybe thinking when I first saw it books akin to house of leaves that use an experimental style of presentation and how they flow but it really could be anything. much love for that recc
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Wolf Hall is surprisingly good. I sort of put it off snobbily

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Smerdyakov » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:26 pm

vivian darko wrote:tad broad

This guy's stuff is so good.
Smerdyakov

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:06 pm

gonna try this out

Jesus' Son meets Reservoir Dogs in a breakneck-paced debut novel about love, war, bank robberies, and heroin.

“Nico Walker’s Cherry might be the first great novel of the opioid epidemic.” —Vulture
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby dvr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 pm

madness and chaos wrote:Image

gonna try this out

Jesus' Son meets Reservoir Dogs in a breakneck-paced debut novel about love, war, bank robberies, and heroin.

“Nico Walker’s Cherry might be the first great novel of the opioid epidemic.” —Vulture

This sounds good
dvr

Postby Dirty Penny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:15 pm

warmhouse wrote:i think the key to reading SK is that it's not about the plot, it's about the people.

REVIVAL was amazing and one of the rare times he's nailed an ending.

I think the fact that he's released so many things kinda dilutes the end results but I'd rather a couple of duds than nothing at all.

Totally agree with this!
Dirty Penny

Postby abs » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:31 pm

as to be expected of HM, I suppose, which is mostly him sticking his dick in willing and unwilling women.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 pm

definitely my least favorite parts of his by a mile... and there are way too many... but jeez, I love him so otherwise
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 pm

god, do I really start Cherry or just go into Capricorn?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby hadlex » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:02 pm

madness and chaos wrote:god, do I really start Cherry or just go into Capricorn?

The Colossus at Maroussi is ace.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby object » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 am

madness and chaos wrote:what other 'experimental' fiction is recommended or decent?

Try out this Shakespeare and Company lecture by Rob Doyle on experimental writing. Also, I can't recommend Doyle's This is the Ritual highly enough.
object

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 am

I thought this was amazing:

Really did a great job walking the tight rope between telling this guy's story and also not flinching away from the fact that he was a murderer

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby cooly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 am

huh thanks for posting that petty. instabought it for my gf, who listens to murder podcasts all damn day at work, just now.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby inmate » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 pm

i'm two-thirds of the way through this right now. i struggled to get into it at first but goddamn that second section was incredible
inmate

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm

object wrote:
madness and chaos wrote:what other 'experimental' fiction is recommended or decent?

Try out this Shakespeare and Company lecture by Rob Doyle on experimental writing. Also, I can't recommend Doyle's This is the Ritual highly enough.

This is the Ritual sounds fucking amazing and right up my alley, endless thx for the recc
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....