Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hadlex » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:04 pm

This is great so far. The structure she's adopted (breaking up his life into answers to the question "How to live?") is really compelling.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby guy forget » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm

i just finished book 3 of this series

these books are so dumb and bad but every few months i get the urge to read one and i can't help myself

to make myself feel better i also finished

which was triumphant and on the history front am working my way through

which is astounding and so well written and very funny as well as

which i like but sorta feels like a better idea than it is in execution
guy forget

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm

i'm giving wuthering heights a crack

this heathcliff guy's a real piece of work
tawny frogmouth

Postby chad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm

love heathcliff

hey what’s Patrick Modiano all about? Why was he so hot when he was younger? Thanks in advance for the replies
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby Mr Spaceship » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Mr Spaceship

Postby deadbass » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Patrick Modiano writes short stories/novellas that are kind of noir-ish/psychological thriller-ish about Vichy-era France. They're kind of hard to pin down but they're slight in terms of reading and pretty deep in terms of how they stick with you after. I've loved everything I've read (Cafe of Lost Youth, Suspended Sentences (I'd say this was my favourite), Missing Person, and one other set of novellas that I can't remember the title of).
deadbass

Postby alaska » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm

god maybe i should reread wuthering heights
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

alaska wrote:god maybe i should reread wuthering heights

if only to finally learn what wuthering means, which i finally did this past weekend :ugeek:
tawny frogmouth

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

hate heathcliff!

obsessive love is overrated!
mercenaries of slime

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:48 pm

everyone should read jean rhys instead
mercenaries of slime

Postby alaska » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Kenny wrote:I'd be interested in what you think of that Saul Friedlander book. I read the summary on Amazon and this part:

The implementation of German extermination policies and measures depended on the submissiveness of political authorities, the assistance of local police forces and the passivity or co-operation of the populations, primarily of their political and spiritual elites. The implementation also depended on the readiness of the victimes to submit to orders, often with the hope of modifying them or surviving long enough to escape the German vice.

I thought I read something about a new wave of historiography on the holocaust going against the idea that the Jewish people were passive during the Holocaust, and I'd be interested in where this author takes it/what the response to it would be

yeah i finished this and i think his take is interesting and complicated

he definitely doesn’t think the Jewish people were passive. I think his main thing is just that a) the force of the regime made individual resistance difficult, and b) the fact that the final solution/death camps etc. were unimaginably horrible meant that most people didn’t expect that’s where it was all going. like there are diary entries from austrian jews who had just been forced into ghettos and they’re sort of like “this is fucking awful, but at least this is the end of the line”
if I had to state the thesis I’d say it’s basically that nazi antisemitism was this unprecedentedly potent and brutal ideology, one that really possessed nazi leadership (and party members, and ordinary citizens), and one that far exceeded economic and practical concerns

more than that I think he holds authority figures to account for their silence. he’s good about commending resistance and speaking out and stuff when it comes up but a lot of christian churches seem to have really gone along with everything as it unfolded, and even those churches that spoke up often did so without really speaking strongly against anti-semitism (christian anti-semitism is actually one of the ideological factors he pinpoints as making the population open to nazi anti-semitism)

I thought it was a really gripping and brutal read and the “modernist history” thing I mentioned earlier is definitely present. he weaves a lot of different voices into the text and he says in the intro that he is trying not to domesticate the shock and horror of what happened, and I think that was really effective for me

anyway continuing my tour of the brutality of western civilization i just started

mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby chad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:hate heathcliff!

obsessive love is overrated!

:cry:
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby alaska » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 pm

@guy forget -- that anne hyde book looks rad, i might check it out! i've been on a history kick lately & i feel like i remember a post from u about some of ur favorite history books...would love a rec if u have time! can be about basically anything at all
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby new blood, old hat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Moderan - David R. Bunch

first sci-fi from nyrb i've ever read. each chapter is a quick bizarre sketch of a classic 60s sf nightmare future. bunch can convey slapstick and physical comedy through text so well, and the descriptions of the robot body's is straight body horror. loving it so far, great for riding the bus with
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe
new blood, old hat
ok

Postby guy forget » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 pm

alaska wrote:@guy forget -- that anne hyde book looks rad, i might check it out! i've been on a history kick lately & i feel like i remember a post from u about some of ur favorite history books...would love a rec if u have time! can be about basically anything at all

Yeah I’ll do that sometime soon for ya

Walter Johnson’s other book River of Dark Dreams is also excellent and horrifying
guy forget

Postby the upland trout » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 pm

new blood, old hat wrote:Image

Moderan - David R. Bunch

first sci-fi from nyrb i've ever read. each chapter is a quick bizarre sketch of a classic 60s sf nightmare future. bunch can convey slapstick and physical comedy through text so well, and the descriptions of the robot body's is straight body horror. loving it so far, great for riding the bus with

I loved this book, though I think I read it too fast and it becomes a bit monotonous if you read it for too long a stretch of time.

Reading:

the upland trout

Postby vivian darko » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 pm

modiano is cool. i haven't read proust but i read someone call him 'proust lite' and that seems right. gonna court controversy here and say that both wuthering heights and jean rhys are good also (better than modiano!).

jac jemc - the grip of it
it is hilarious that this index of haunted house tropes has a wittgenstein epigraph
vivian darko

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 am

Orlando ruled – so beautiful and so much funnier than I expect from Woolf (having only read Mrs Dalloway and The Waves). An absolute blast. Is the film version any good? Swinton seems like perfect casting.

Now onto:
Nicholson Baker – U and I
Any Nicholson Baker fans in the house? I’ve enjoyed The Mezzanine and House of Holes pretty well but this book is all about Updike and I don’t know nothin’ about Updike. The jacket quote tries to play down the recommended background reading aspect but I think it might hamper my enjoyment. Having said that, I’m really enjoying the opening section about the difference between reading living and dead writers.
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 am

Orlando was the first Woolf book I read and I still love it. The scenes set on the frozen Thames stick with me as really beautiful. I watched the movie and don't really remember anything except thinking Swinton was perfect for the part and that Catherine Zeta-Jones was beeauuuutifullll

I really liked The Years, if you're looking for a Virginia Woolf book that is a more straightforward read (like Orlando) than some of her more experimental ones. The Years might be my favorite actually
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:47 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Orlando ruled – so beautiful and so much funnier than I expect from Woolf (having only read Mrs Dalloway and The Waves). An absolute blast. Is the film version any good? Swinton seems like perfect casting.

yes it's incredible imo

(I've never read the book tho)
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am

Kenny wrote:Orlando was the first Woolf book I read and I still love it. The scenes set on the frozen Thames stick with me as really beautiful. I watched the movie and don't really remember anything except thinking Swinton was perfect for the part and that Catherine Zeta-Jones was beeauuuutifullll

I really liked The Years, if you're looking for a Virginia Woolf book that is a more straightforward read (like Orlando) than some of her more experimental ones. The Years might be my favorite actually

Haven't heard much about The Years - I'll check it out. I don't need my Woolf to be straightforward (The Waves is my faves) but I was pleasantly surprised that Orlando was such a lolfest. Really loved the bit where she tries to distract the Archduke out of proposing to her by gambling on the habits of flies. And the frozen section was very beautiful as you say.

I don’t think Catherine Zeta-Jones was in the film though? Perhaps you’re thinking of Entrapment.
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 am

HotFingersClub wrote:
Kenny wrote:Orlando was the first Woolf book I read and I still love it. The scenes set on the frozen Thames stick with me as really beautiful. I watched the movie and don't really remember anything except thinking Swinton was perfect for the part and that Catherine Zeta-Jones was beeauuuutifullll

Haven't heard much about The Years - I'll check it out. I don't need my Woolf to be straightforward (The Waves is my faves) but I was pleasantly surprised that Orlando was such a lolfest. Really loved the bit where she tries to distract the Archduke out of proposing to her by gambling on the habits of flies. And the frozen section was very beautiful as you say.

I don’t think Catherine Zeta-Jones was in the film though? Perhaps you’re thinking of Entrapment.

lol looked it up and I was thinking Charlotte Valandrey was Catherine Zeta-Jones the whole time I watched the movie

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 am

I can definitely see why. The big furry hat makes them look quite similar
HotFingersClub

Postby Smerdyakov » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Any Nicholson Baker fans in the house? I’ve enjoyed The Mezzanine and House of Holes pretty well but this book is all about Updike and I don’t know nothin’ about Updike. The jacket quote tries to play down the recommended background reading aspect but I think it might hamper my enjoyment. Having said that, I’m really enjoying the opening section about the difference between reading living and dead writers.

The Mezzanine is great. One of those books that just make me smile the whole time I'm reading it. I've also read the Anthologist which was more conventional, and I liked that one, too.
Smerdyakov

Postby tawny frogmouth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am

halfway through wuthering heights and i'm very into all these terrible people fucking each other over. it's scratching an itch i didn't know was there.

i also just started this and it's pretty creepy so far:

all the women are killed by a fungus, but then the fungus takes the shape of women and starts ministering to the lonely men left behind
tawny frogmouth

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 am

I read Wuthering Heights for the first time this year and like I'm glad I've read it because it's a powerful book but the relentlessness of everybody's awfulness was really draining where I can't say I "enjoyed" it

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am

Smerdyakov wrote:
HotFingersClub wrote:Any Nicholson Baker fans in the house? I’ve enjoyed The Mezzanine and House of Holes pretty well but this book is all about Updike and I don’t know nothin’ about Updike. The jacket quote tries to play down the recommended background reading aspect but I think it might hamper my enjoyment. Having said that, I’m really enjoying the opening section about the difference between reading living and dead writers.

The Mezzanine is great. One of those books that just make me smile the whole time I'm reading it. I've also read the Anthologist which was more conventional, and I liked that one, too.

Yeah it's a lovely little book. I'm usually not a fan of books with such an inward-looking perspective but Baker is so clear and light, and I love his practical meditations on straws and towels etc
HotFingersClub

Postby walt whitman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am

love the mezzanine and love saying that word aloud
walt whitman

Postby Gnarls » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 am

Room Temperature by Baker is just as good! The platonic Vintage Contemporary.
Gnarls

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 am

sorta bizarre book. stylistically inconsistent, sometimes his sort of ironic erudition is quite alluring, sometimes it's incredibly clunky. an idiosyncratic storyteller for sure
Barthes Starr

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....