Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby murderhorn » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Any Nicholson Baker fans in the house? I’ve enjoyed The Mezzanine and House of Holes pretty well but this book is all about Updike and I don’t know nothin’ about Updike. The jacket quote tries to play down the recommended background reading aspect but I think it might hamper my enjoyment. Having said that, I’m really enjoying the opening section about the difference between reading living and dead writers.

I love the Mezzanine a lot. I bought Human Smoke 2nd hand a few years ago which I wasn't prepared for.
murderhorn

Postby David Lobster Wallets » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Vox was interesting! It didn't do too much for me in terms of eroticism but fwiw my ex was into it.
im not a business ham, im a business ham
David Lobster Wallets

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm

i posted elsewhere wanting to read more novels that explore transhumanism and alternative versions of reproduction and a few pals all recommended atomised by michel houellebecq. im half way through and fucking hate it but feel like i need to finish it now as ive invested x amount of time and be able to answer their eventual questions on how i found it ;___; i knew it had a reputation but every semi popular novel has a reputation so i bite the bullet and read. its been like a month of me refusing to pick it up again but not wanting to start something new. i normally read a novel or two a week ;__________;

how do u deal with ur pals suggesting novels u hate
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby number none » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm

sailormoonvillain666@aol.com wrote:i posted elsewhere wanting to read more novels that explore transhumanism and alternative versions of reproduction

have you read Octavia Butler?
number none

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:25 pm

ive only read kindred!
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby number none » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:28 pm

then I think Lilith's Brood would be of interest (hope you don't hate it now)
number none

Postby walt whitman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm

lilith's brood/dawn in particular is so effin good
walt whitman

Postby Sobieski » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:45 am

this is kind of hitting the spot right now. I feel like the prose is really disciplined and fussy
I also know that like Cicero or whoever is probably a better stylist than John Williams or whatever but I'm going to put that aside because the craftsmanship is really consistent imo
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby cooly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 am

alaska let me know when you start genji. i would love to hear your thoughts
can wrote:old lady [whispering]
cooly

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 am

https://ew.com/books/2018/10/23/to-kill ... ican-read/

i had to pay attention to this all summer because i work at a publisher and we had a bunch of books on the list, but ffs the fucking outlander series is #2?
tawny frogmouth

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 am

if someone asked me to guess I would have guessed that one, Huckleberry Finn or Great Gatsby. Cool that a book by a woman won
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

women were 7 of the top 10
tawny frogmouth

Postby gold and glass » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm

anyone like Jim Shepard?
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby vivian darko » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:48 pm

i hate him, but that seems at least related
vivian darko

Postby vivian darko » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 pm

tawny frogmouth wrote:women were 7 of the top 10

there are many much better books by women than harry potter or to kill a mockingbird
vivian darko

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

I think the list was "America's favorites" though
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:30 pm

jane eyre!
No Good Advice

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm

i love when viv gets grumpy in the reading thread
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I just love Jane Eyre! I could re-read it non-stop! It's a page-turner and a world I like to live in! I'm glad it's among top 10 popular reads!
No Good Advice

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 pm

jane eyre rules

a year or so ago i gave villette a go on ur rec nga! i was into it but i wasn't in the headspace. maybe i'll try again soon
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:57 pm

alaska wrote:jane eyre rules

a year or so ago i gave villette a go on ur rec nga! i was into it but i wasn't in the headspace. maybe i'll try again soon

Oh sweet. The first part is kinda mysterious and vague but then she gets to Belgium and starts really diving into her weird headspace and crazy rants and that's when the book shines fully.
No Good Advice

Postby Dead_Wizard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Finally tackling the HD Book and it feels amazin
Dead_Wizard

Postby deadbass » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Weird - I'm halfway through my reread of Jane Eyre right now! Love it, except for Helen Burns and her robotic Christian dialogue.

Also I read Villette a while ago and thought it was a very fascinating disaster of a novel. Like, you're just watching a very talented novelist self-destruct over the course of the book. It's completely insane. My favourite part is when Lucy Snowe keeps shouting "HAPPINESS IS NOT A POTATO." I think it's a really interesting book that's worth reading for what a bizarre failure of a novel it is.
deadbass

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Dead_Wizard wrote:Finally tackling the HD Book and it feels amazin

wow hell yeah

let us know how it is
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby bongo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 pm

both of these are very cool and good so far

ImageImage
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:13 pm

alaska wrote:@guy forget -- that anne hyde book looks rad, i might check it out! i've been on a history kick lately & i feel like i remember a post from u about some of ur favorite history books...would love a rec if u have time! can be about basically anything at all

hey alaska so here's my big post about history books i like. i'll try not to go too hog wild here. i mostly know US history and within that am more well versed on 19th century and earlier (though am slowly reading more 20th century stuff for my dissertation). this isn't comprehensive either, obviously - just stuff that immediately comes to mind in a couple fields. a lot of these are pretty well known too so i apologize in advance if they're redundant to stuff you've already read.

a couple of my favorite history books where the writing just sparkles, the argument is made perfectly, and that attain what i think are the highest aims of the field:

you could make a pretty decent curriculum on the history of the US to the civil war on those 5 books alone, and if i could get another person to read any single history book it'd likely be a choice from those five.

as far as subfields that i'm particularly interested in, here's a bunch

US west

native american history

environmental history

and finally sort of a grab bag of stuff that i love that i think would appeal to anyone interested in thinking about the past

that last book in particular fucking rules and probably belongs on my top list.

also any of the Oxford History of the US series but particularly the most recent one by Richard White or Battle Cry of Freedom

if you want any recs on more modern history or specific stuff i can do my best. messier object and upland trout also can probably make some good suggestions too, i think they both know a lot about environmental history (and likely are better read on the subject than i am). emotional fascism knows a lot too. beyond US history i only know a random smattering really and of that it's mostly european history with some east asian environmental history. i'm just one guy here!
guy forget

Postby alaska » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 pm

oh my god guy this rules so hard. ty so so so much! i've heard of a small handful of them but haven't actually read any of them

idk how long i'm going to be living by my old college library so i want to take max advantage of the Academic Selection and will probably get cracking on this list ASAPPPPPP

<3
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 pm

i feel bad i didn't list any of my dissertation advisor's books on there, oops
guy forget

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:11 am

deadbass wrote:Weird - I'm halfway through my reread of Jane Eyre right now! Love it, except for Helen Burns and her robotic Christian dialogue.

Also I read Villette a while ago and thought it was a very fascinating disaster of a novel. Like, you're just watching a very talented novelist self-destruct over the course of the book. It's completely insane. My favourite part is when Lucy Snowe keeps shouting "HAPPINESS IS NOT A POTATO." I think it's a really interesting book that's worth reading for what a bizarre failure of a novel it is.

Well it's my favourite novel ever so I don't really agree with your latter point but I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's a failure. Self-destruct as a person, yes, in a way, she found inspiration for the book in her history of depression, mixed with the recent loss of all her siblings, but as a novelist?
No Good Advice

Postby deadbass » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:36 am

No Good Advice wrote:Well it's my favourite novel ever so I don't really agree with your latter point but I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's a failure. Self-destruct as a person, yes, in a way, she found inspiration for the book in her history of depression, mixed with the recent loss of all her siblings, but as a novelist?

I should definitely point out I read it 12 or 13 years ago when I was 18, so I both don’t trust my memory of it nor do I trust my judgement of it. I remember feeling like there were equal parts powerfully written characters and unrealistic idealogical automatons like Helen Burns. I also remember feeling like the plot just splayed out in so many directions in the second half and never came together. (Also just have a very powerful memory of laughing at the “happiness is not a potato!” Line)

You calling it your favourite novel makes me want to revisit it, especially In light of rereading Jane Eyre. Hope I didn’t offend you - I wasn’t trying to discount liking the book in any way, and, like I say, I was/am speaking from a muddled memory at this point.
deadbass

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....