Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:30 am

The Dispossessed was quite good. Not my favourite Le Guin. I liked the deep examination of how the anarchist moon works but it definitely also got pretty boring in places.

Now:
Percival Everett – Assumption
Never heard of this guy: the book was given to me by a friend studying black science fiction although it’s not clear if SF will play a part in this book just yet. So far it’s a detective story set in a small town – kind of a mellow and disarming vibe for this genre. I just read a good part where the detective chases down a suspect and starts interrogating him, then accidentally lets out a small scream when he sees a rat run behind a bin. Anyone read any Everett? Don’t think I’ve seen him mentioned here.
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 am

I've been reading a lot of "serious" books lately so I'm taking a break from heavier reading and am rereading the first book from the Pern series and I love this series so much. It's like a warm blanket

I haven't read them in a while either, so it's fun to be back. I've actually read one of the Todd McCaffrey book Dragon's Kin and it was alright but I dunno if I care. I want a continuation of the main series, not just random stores set in random passes. But then again Anne McCaffrey is dead so maybe they won't feel legit to continue.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gershon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 am

gershon
גֵּרְשׁוֹן

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am

i read everett's "erasure" a couple of years ago and it really stuck with me. wild book -- maybe i'll try to hunt down some more of his stuff sooner rather than later

also cool books gershon. would love to hear your thoughts on clara zetkin -- i hadn't heard of her until the other day, but she seems really interesting
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby vivian darko » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:57 pm

everett rules and has wild range

glyph is like theory as farce
vivian darko

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Started

Anniversaries: From a Year in the Life of Gesine Cresspahl - Uwe Johnson

1700 pages. Two fat volumes. See you on the other side.

let us know how it is! looks super interesting. i've ended up reading a fair amount of stuff over the past couple years just because searls translated it, like a couple books each by modiano and fosse
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:08 pm

just been focusing on this over the past week or so
really rare combination of logical rigor and emotional sensitivity. great part on the psychology of the upper-class jewish intelligentsia in 19th-century germany
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby adam sampler » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 pm

adam sampler

Postby Sobieski » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:26 pm

vivian darko wrote:what do you think of the peregrine?

I only just started but it's good. All the peregrine stuff is like surprisingly interesting and Baker is a good stylist. As always I'm a little suspicious of that descriptive first person omniscient voice though
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby madness and chaos » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 pm

adam sampler wrote:Image

chelsea girls was like the best thing to happen to me when I read it

is this just poetry? I need another chelsea girls

anyone read inferno? is it that level good?
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby shizaam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm

been reading
shizaam

Postby walt whitman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm

horrific cover ^

ive been getting into

walt whitman

Postby blab » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm

blab

Postby alaska » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

shizaam, how is the caro? i never finished the power broker but that hasn't stopped the temptation to dig into the million billion page lbj one
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:The Dispossessed was quite good. Not my favourite Le Guin. I liked the deep examination of how the anarchist moon works but it definitely also got pretty boring in places.

Sam Delany's Trouble on Triton is a great companion piece to The Dispossessed, if you haven't read it yet. I think it was actually written shortly after with a deliberate intent to engage with some of the themes of governance, collectivism, and autonomy.
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby ahungbunny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm

edit: don't care

now reading poul anderson - three hearts and three lions
ahungbunny

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 am

Mr. Cool Wave wrote:
HotFingersClub wrote:The Dispossessed was quite good. Not my favourite Le Guin. I liked the deep examination of how the anarchist moon works but it definitely also got pretty boring in places.

Sam Delany's Trouble on Triton is a great companion piece to The Dispossessed, if you haven't read it yet. I think it was actually written shortly after with a deliberate intent to engage with some of the themes of governance, collectivism, and autonomy.

That's a cool prospect, thanks, I'll check it out
HotFingersClub

Postby the upland trout » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 am

Just finished this:

It thought it was pretty great, even if parts were a bit tedious. However the more patient I was with the book the less tedious it became. I liked this volume better than the first.

Starting:

Reading these:

and

Image for the third time.
the upland trout

Postby the upland trout » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 am

Mr. Cool Wave wrote:

Triton is fucking hilarious too. It's an amazing book.
the upland trout

Postby hey nathan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 am

just finished Man Tiger

did I get that from someone here?

it's great
hey nathan

Postby tanaka » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 am

really into mo yan atm

also slowly going thru this

tanaka

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:27 am

This thread.

Did anyone say that yet?
That Demon Life

Postby Bernie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:28 am

Just finished this and enjoyed it quite a bit. Anyone else read it or care to discuss it?
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:53 am

Everything That Rises Must Converge- Flannery O'Connor
Beastie Boys Book
Ezekiel Cletus

Postby Melville » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am

The Forever War - feels kind of artless and like it could do a lot more with its premise. I don't know what's going on with its treatment of homosexuality.
Melville

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 am

Assumption was an interesting experience. Non-specific structural spoilers:Three linked novellas, all serviceable crime stories but pretty flat, before something happens on the last few pages that casts an entirely new light on the rest of the book. Does it come out of nowhere, or is it obvious in retrospect? Does the fact that everything is retroactively interesting after finishing the book make up for the fact that it was often quite dull while I was actually reading it? Still not sure.Toggle Spoiler

Currently:
Sophie Mackintosh – The Water Cure
Getting strong Ben Marcus vibes so far.
HotFingersClub

Postby hadlex » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 am

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 am

So far I find it a bit muddier than Wolf Hall but still good as it's basically just the next part of the story
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby walt whitman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am

found this for $1 at the library. didn't everyone compare this to IJ? anyway i really don't need a bookstop novel in my life but hey! thanksgiving break

walt whitman

Postby hey nathan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 am

Instructions is so fun and it got me into Phillip Roth
hey nathan

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....