what are you reading right now?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby blab » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Image
User avatar
blab
 
Posts: 6155
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Location: texass

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

giovanni's room was so good
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 16637
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby supersaturated » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Image
Robert Alter's translation and commentary of the Hebrew Bible is hitting the spot.

Like this, from an intro to Genesis, "If Genesis were the work of a single writer, one would say he begins at the top of his form, not slowly and circuitously, like the late Henry James, but with a tour de force, like Proust in the initial pages of In Search of Lost Time."
User avatar
supersaturated
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:49 pm

Postby alaska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 pm

i loved giovanni's room

maybe i should reread it. i should probably give "another country" another go first
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 16804
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby alaska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm

supersaturated wrote:Like this, from an intro to Genesis, "If Genesis were the work of a single writer, one would say he begins at the top of his form, not slowly and circuitously, like the late Henry James, but with a tour de force, like Proust in the initial pages of In Search of Lost Time."


*heart eyes emoji*
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 16804
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Image
User avatar
Ezekiel Cletus
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 pm

one chapter into this and it's so good holy shit?

Image
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 16637
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 16637
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 pm

WEBDB was the real deal.

Read Black Reconstruction in America. And his write-up of the Jesse Washington lynching: https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/blackkklansman-read-w-e-b-du-bois-account-of-the-real-life-lynching-described-in-the-film.html
User avatar
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 pm

thank you!! will absolutely check this out. i am sold on this dude
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 16637
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Damn I wish that new copy of The Souls of Black Folk had been out when I read it, such a phenomenal work. How is Ibram Kendi's intro?
User avatar
rich uncle skeleton
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 pm

I can't do any for pleasure reading rn cause of school but I am gonna burn through this over the weekend for a reading group on linguistic anthropology I'm doing with my friend and his advisor:
Image
User avatar
rich uncle skeleton
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 am
Location: Brooklyn

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:34 am

Image

Was intrigued and a little bit sceptical about this being lauded as a 'great new Victorian tome' -- would it be pastiche, was it parody, what was the point. Turns out that's not really a problem. She writes a bit more long-winded, explores mannerisms and asides a bit more than maybe some modern writers, but it flows well. In fact it flows impressively well, the craft is here - but ultimately this isn't for me - the book is very much concerned with its mysteries, its plots, its characters' odd histories, and that may give the right people a meaningful insight into this old New Zealand world she's building, but for me there wasn't enough character study, not enough interest in what went on in these people's minds, or why we should care about the machinations of murder, deceit, corruption in this society. It's a mystery novel that's very long. A super complex plot that's impressively pulled off, but didn't connect with me.
User avatar
No Good Advice
 
Posts: 8002
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby warmhouse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 am

Image

The life bits were as expected, but they felt like the end of a movie, when you knew there was only a couple of minutes left, and things weren't really drawing to a close yet; what would happen? Would it just END? Beautiful and heartbreaking and raw and real and ugly, especially the Linda health story. The Hitler stuff was drivel that I'm sure had some proper meaning, but minds far more willing than mine can go unpack it.

I realised about halfway through that the books were more interesting when they weren't so meta. They were great when it was just an autobiographical outpouring. Once it started having to refer to itself, it felt like it was outstaying its welcome. This felt post. Spent. Over.

(Hey - at least I don't need to read Mein Kampf now!)
User avatar
warmhouse
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am

Image
Ann Quin - The Unmapped Country
This was fantastic. Such compelling stories. Comforting to know that women writers can sometimes be as obsessed with writing about boobs as their male counterparts.

Image
Jennifer Lynch - The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer
Would be interested to hear the hipinion on this from the board's deep TP heads. I liked it a lot for about the first half, after which point it started seeming very repetitive. Sheryl Lee's audiobook reading was p intense.

Now:
Image
Rita Indiana - Tentacle
Queer Caribbean scifi. This has started off extremely strong
User avatar
HotFingersClub
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 am

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am

Just finished:
Image

Very up my alley but also just a frivolous quick read
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 25253
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Look, nobody knows, nobody can understand.

Postby shizaam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:55 am

started george eliot's silas marner last night
User avatar
shizaam
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 am

I went to Highgate Cemetary to do some grave visiting and when I went to George Eliot's grave there was a fan society there down from somewhere up north cleaning the grave and planting flowers around it and they asked me if I was a fan and I politely lied and said I was (I haven't read anything by her) and then they asked me what my favorite was, and I thankfully remembered Silas Marner because they talk about it A Christmas Story...

Could have dropped Middlemarch if they asked for my second favorite :ugeek:
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 25253
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Look, nobody knows, nobody can understand.

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Image

Image
User avatar
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 12794
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:25 pm

shizaam wrote:started george eliot's silas marner last night


Huge fan of her, but this is kinda my least favorite of hers
User avatar
No Good Advice
 
Posts: 8002
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby shizaam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

No Good Advice wrote:
shizaam wrote:started george eliot's silas marner last night


Huge fan of her, but this is kinda my least favorite of hers

it's my first. maybe middlemarch next?
User avatar
shizaam
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Postby walt whitman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:I can't do any for pleasure reading rn cause of school but I am gonna burn through this over the weekend for a reading group on linguistic anthropology I'm doing with my friend and his advisor:
Image

goffman has a surprisingly large presence in my dissertation on experimental film, rn...good stuff
User avatar
walt whitman
 
Posts: 5624
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: pitt

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm

shizaam wrote:
No Good Advice wrote:
shizaam wrote:started george eliot's silas marner last night


Huge fan of her, but this is kinda my least favorite of hers

it's my first. maybe middlemarch next?


Middlemarch is the best, funniest, most page-turn-y, Mill on the Floss and Daniel Deronda the other two big masterpieces. Silas Marner felt like a much smaller and more straight-forward story, but I've only read it once, may have been in the wrong mood.
User avatar
No Good Advice
 
Posts: 8002
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby sadville » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:06 pm

i've seen multiple opinions that danny d is the greatest novel of the 19th century

i have a copy sitting in a box somewhere :(
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!
User avatar
sadville
 
Posts: 9146
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm
Location: soul lips

Postby alaska » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:10 pm

wow reverse migraine that stuart hall collection looks fucking sick
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 16804
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby alaska » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 pm

i'm reading this

Image

classicists seem weird. idk
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 16804
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Image

These are very “readable” books but I expected a lot more from the sequels even though I knew they couldn’t match the first.

After the last book I thought Tom needed a foil. That happens in an unexpected and unsatisfying way.

It’s only six months after the events of the previous story and given that Tom was never formally cleared of suspicion he might reasonably avoid getting into more shit. Instead, in a convoluted and indirect way he guides a terminally ill normie to kill for money, to provide for his family after he’s gone. Highsmith got lazy here as the setup contradicts itself in basic terms (who told whom what and when—I re-read this to be certain) and continuity is fudged (Tom uses a fake passport which we saw him burn at the end of the previous book).

The action isn’t thrilling, though there’s a lot more of it, and the murders are all mafia hitmen who seem like they’re from some other, dumber, book. Tom loves calling them “wogs” and has also developed a strong anti-Catholic streak while living in France. He is very wealthy now after all. He’s also garroting and torturing motherfuckers where previously “he detested murder unless it was absolutely necessary.”

I once hoped that Tom’s wife, Heloise, would be important but she’s just comic relief. No word from Chris Greenleaf in this one at all and I probably shouldn’t hold out hope for that.
Toggle Spoiler
User avatar
Riverchrist
 
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 pm
Location: Ohmtown

Postby chowder julius » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Damn I wish that new copy of The Souls of Black Folk had been out when I read it, such a phenomenal work. How is Ibram Kendi's intro?

haven't read it yet! i rarely read them tbh and always after i finish the book. this one's short so I'll read it and let you know
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 16637
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby Slamwich Artist » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Riverchrist wrote:Image

These are very “readable” books but I expected a lot more from the sequels even though I knew they couldn’t match the first.

After the last book I thought Tom needed a foil. That happens in an unexpected and unsatisfying way.

It’s only six months after the events of the previous story and given that Tom was never formally cleared of suspicion he might reasonably avoid getting into more shit. Instead, in a convoluted and indirect way he guides a terminally ill normie to kill for money, to provide for his family after he’s gone. Highsmith got lazy here as the setup contradicts itself in basic terms (who told whom what and when—I re-read this to be certain) and continuity is fudged (Tom uses a fake passport which we saw him burn at the end of the previous book).

The action isn’t thrilling, though there’s a lot more of it, and the murders are all mafia hitmen who seem like they’re from some other, dumber, book. Tom loves calling them “wogs” and has also developed a strong anti-Catholic streak while living in France. He is very wealthy now after all. He’s also garroting and torturing motherfuckers where previously “he detested murder unless it was absolutely necessary.”

I once hoped that Tom’s wife, Heloise, would be important but she’s just comic relief. No word from Chris Greenleaf in this one at all and I probably shouldn’t hold out hope for that.
Toggle Spoiler

Have you seen the American friend yet?
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
User avatar
Slamwich Artist
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Postby hadlex » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I love Highsmith and have read maybe eleven or twelve of her novels but haven’t gotten to The Ripliad yet.

My favorite of hers may be The Tremor of Forgery.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
User avatar
hadlex
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: (^_^) tasty, 7SEVEN7, adamtrask, Alice, Autarch, banquo, Barthes Starr, Beautiful Jugdish, becky, beefbroth inthe shitpipes, blab, boddy, cartola, clouds, conductor, Conetoaster, DasLofGang, davideotape, Dead_Wizard, deadwolfbones, deebster, Destroid, domesticwhite, draw, emotional fascism, Endtro, Eyeball Kid, fresh, fresh salad, Future, goldmatt, goofjan, goofy's dead wife, Google [Bot], grass tacks, griffith scannell, Grumby, guidance, guy forget, Hal Jordan, hiddenicon, hilbert, hit record, hologram, Hugh, hyperbole man, important dentist, Intervalo, jalapeño ranch, joe, kentucky, Kevin McCallister, klubrick, KPH, lightfoot, lights, lil bro, linoleum , lotso, Marcus, mcwop23, Merciel, Mesh, Milk, mortimer, Mr Spaceship, murderhorn, mystery meat, new blood,, Night porter, nonoperational, odilon redon, palmer eldritch, Peptobysmal, pink snake, plashy, Pops Freshenmeyer, Poptone, powderfinger, Pris, pro_life_cutie, REAL BASED SLOB, rex, rich uncle skeleton, ripersnifle, SabreFancS, sassafras socks, Science, shacky, Shalabi, sigmonrunner, Snerler, snuggle, southpaw, staple, subtitles, terminus, tgk, The Fool on the Hill, the scofflaw, This Guy, thrang, toots, TwoInchesOfTrouble, unbiaseddairylodge, videodrome, virtuous, Viz, walt, warmjets, WeirdJungle, Wombatz, xxx-xxx-xxxx, Zurich