Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shacky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 am

i feel like repurchasing books as hardcover editions is beginning to become a dangerous addiction for me rn but these jacket-less everyman's library editions just look so gd good on my shelf
shacky

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:06 am

Yeah, LoA is a fantastic series as long as you don't mind tissue-thin paper.
furrowed brow

Postby office plant » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 am

books 2 and 3 of "three body problem" trilogy (reread)
brideshead revisited (reread, always makes one want to act a little beastly)
the plotters - kim eun su - - reminded me of one of those classic ultraviolent korean movies, but with some small life/philosophy things thrown in
wolf - jim harrison - - i think it's the last major harrison that i hadn't gotten to (i don't know why it happened in this order, i got into him via "dalva") and one of his best for sure

now reading

which looks like it's gonna be awesome

after that i reckon i'll go back to anna karenina

yeh
office plant

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 am

Eli Goldstone - Strange Heart Beating
This was sort of a retread of Everything is Illuminated but without the jokes. Basically fine, albeit flavourless.

Tove Jansson - Finn Family Moomintroll
I ran out of Jansson's adult books so decided I better get acquainted with the Moomins and absolutely loved this first spin. Time to read every single Moomin book now. Really can't wait. What an amazing world she created.

Now:
Ann Quinn - The Unmapped Country
This is fantastic so far. Boldly experimental but completely intuitive writing about working class British life.

Chris Reynolds - The New World
This was a great recommendation from Sevenarts in the alt comics thread which I'm posting here because it's very literary for want of a better word and extremely good. I think people ITT will go nuts for it
HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:18 am

Sorry for the big pictures
HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 am

Kenny I think you should read Mary Ann Sate
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:42 am

I've definitely got it on my to read list, it looks really good!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 am

I've posted this before, but I've toyed with the idea of replacing my Saul Bellow paperbacks with the LoA run, but I'd miss the intros in the Penguin editions.
Eyeball Kid

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:02 am

Just have em both lol.

btw, thx for the response reversemigrane, that sounds like it's exactly i had hoped it would be then.
furrowed brow

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:02 am

That said, I have approximately a half-dozen LoA titles and I like them very much.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

No major plot spoilers here but I enjoy reading these without knowing any details beforehand.

Six years after the events of the first book, Tom Ripley lives in France (where people call him Tome Reeply) with his hot bratty wife. Surprise, indeed. You don’t meet her until the second half of the story, which is clever.

Tom has changed, I suppose because he has the luxury and leisure he always wanted. He’s no longer emotional. His character now has a Bond-like neutrality to everything, including murder and boobs, and I read this one a lot like a Bond novel, just to see what happens next. It’s working hard to set up more sequels. There’s a corpse-disposal scene way gnarlier than anything in the first book.

The first story was about identity. This one is about truth, and whether it matters. If Tom is becoming this elusive mastermind then he badly needs a foil or rival instead of credulous dummies accepting his explanations. That could turn out to be Dickie’s cousin, who visits Tom but doesn’t do anything of interest... yet.
Toggle Spoiler
Riverchrist

Postby Slamwich Artist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 pm

for some reason naipaul is really doing it for me these days
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

@riverchrist, That Mr. Lupescu story was really cool, thanks for sharing it. Who do you think Gorgo is though?Toggle Spoiler
furrowed brow

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I think it's as simple as "skeptic attempts to profit from the supernatural and gets promptly owned," combo'ing off the imaginary-friend-is-real tropeToggle Spoiler. Here's another:

"Thus I Refute Beelzy"
Riverchrist

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 pm

chowder julius wrote:Image

finished this finally. not a huge fan of it but did like that it was set in neighborhoods i recognized and reading toomer's bio really helped me understand his whole project. really fascinating dude

i started this at like 730 and finished it already lol

it's great obviously!
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pm

added to the favorites shelf. goddamn that ending!!!!
chowder julius

Postby scornyorno » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Just finished and loved this.
scornyorno

Postby i_am_agriculture » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:37 am

abs wrote:
abs wrote:sorry, spamming the thread... but did anyone read this? French fantasy supposed to be of the caliber of his dark materials/similar series

thiiiiis was interesting. definitely intrigued to see how it pans out over the rest of the series (three more?) -- disappointing to have the main character's name misspelled on the second to last page tho. :|

Just started this. Still feeling it out but pretty sure 12 year old me would be into it.
i_am_agriculture

Postby j-ol » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:54 pm

finished the james tiptree jr collection, her smoke rose up forever, last night. i'd been slowly savoring it for months. riverchrist used the word "seismic" to describe the experience of reading her, and i absolutely concur with that. incredible collection... i want to read the alice sheldon biography pronto. thanks hpn for another new fav author.
j-ol

Postby meeshpotato » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

the maltese falcon and red harvest
both really great
meeshpotato

Postby Ersaph » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:36 pm

The best Moomin book is Mooninvalley in November.

I'm reading the Secret History (again) and Depraved Indifference by Gary Indiana rn.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby hadlex » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby Seamus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 pm

the moomin deluxe anniversary edition is really nicely presented and contains all of the moomin comic strips and i would recommend it!
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Just ended up reading The Warden by Anthony Trollope in 2 days. I really liked it. I'm surprised at how much modern English it seems it is than his basically contemporary Dickens. I'm definitely going to read another Barsetshire book soon

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 pm

hadlex wrote:Image

have you read a rebours? if so how does it compare?
chowder julius

Postby Smerdyakov » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Recently finished the Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff. It's about how tech companies are moving away from using our "data exhaust" to predict our behavior to just changing our behavior outright. It made me think, but it was pretty repetitive.
Smerdyakov

Postby sadville » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 pm

started my brilliant friend IV and i just dunno what i'm gonna do when elena g is done telling this story

i guess move on to the other elena f books
sadville

Postby hadlex » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 pm

chowder julius wrote:
hadlex wrote:Image

have you read a rebours? if so how does it compare?

Nope. My first Huysmans. Diggin’ it so far.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 am

I'm looking forward to Moominvalley in November most of all but I want to do them in roughly chronological order now that I've got the taste
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:06 am

I read A Rebours last year and it was really beautiful but a heavy slow read (not in a bad way, just endless description and it's basically all his opinions)

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....