Postby alaska » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 pm

i'm reading this

classicists seem weird. idk
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Riverchrist » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm

These are very “readable” books but I expected a lot more from the sequels even though I knew they couldn’t match the first.

After the last book I thought Tom needed a foil. That happens in an unexpected and unsatisfying way.

It’s only six months after the events of the previous story and given that Tom was never formally cleared of suspicion he might reasonably avoid getting into more shit. Instead, in a convoluted and indirect way he guides a terminally ill normie to kill for money, to provide for his family after he’s gone. Highsmith got lazy here as the setup contradicts itself in basic terms (who told whom what and when—I re-read this to be certain) and continuity is fudged (Tom uses a fake passport which we saw him burn at the end of the previous book).

The action isn’t thrilling, though there’s a lot more of it, and the murders are all mafia hitmen who seem like they’re from some other, dumber, book. Tom loves calling them “wogs” and has also developed a strong anti-Catholic streak while living in France. He is very wealthy now after all. He’s also garroting and torturing motherfuckers where previously “he detested murder unless it was absolutely necessary.”

I once hoped that Tom’s wife, Heloise, would be important but she’s just comic relief. No word from Chris Greenleaf in this one at all and I probably shouldn’t hold out hope for that.
Toggle Spoiler
Riverchrist

Postby chowder julius » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Damn I wish that new copy of The Souls of Black Folk had been out when I read it, such a phenomenal work. How is Ibram Kendi's intro?

haven't read it yet! i rarely read them tbh and always after i finish the book. this one's short so I'll read it and let you know
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Slamwich Artist » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Riverchrist wrote:Image

These are very “readable” books but I expected a lot more from the sequels even though I knew they couldn’t match the first.

After the last book I thought Tom needed a foil. That happens in an unexpected and unsatisfying way.

It’s only six months after the events of the previous story and given that Tom was never formally cleared of suspicion he might reasonably avoid getting into more shit. Instead, in a convoluted and indirect way he guides a terminally ill normie to kill for money, to provide for his family after he’s gone. Highsmith got lazy here as the setup contradicts itself in basic terms (who told whom what and when—I re-read this to be certain) and continuity is fudged (Tom uses a fake passport which we saw him burn at the end of the previous book).

The action isn’t thrilling, though there’s a lot more of it, and the murders are all mafia hitmen who seem like they’re from some other, dumber, book. Tom loves calling them “wogs” and has also developed a strong anti-Catholic streak while living in France. He is very wealthy now after all. He’s also garroting and torturing motherfuckers where previously “he detested murder unless it was absolutely necessary.”

I once hoped that Tom’s wife, Heloise, would be important but she’s just comic relief. No word from Chris Greenleaf in this one at all and I probably shouldn’t hold out hope for that.
Toggle Spoiler

Have you seen the American friend yet?
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby hadlex » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I love Highsmith and have read maybe eleven or twelve of her novels but haven’t gotten to The Ripliad yet.

My favorite of hers may be The Tremor of Forgery.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm

alaska wrote:wow reverse migraine that stuart hall collection looks fucking sick

DUP has a whole Stuart Hall series!

reversemigraine

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Does anyone have any reading light reccs? We're co-sleeping with the little one right now and mine keeps waking her up.
reversemigraine

Postby adam sampler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 pm

adam sampler wrote:
adam sampler wrote:Image

this fuckin rules

I stand by this and urge everyone (tennis fans or otherwise) to check it out. his whole section on Nick Kyrgios was deadly.
adam sampler

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:39 am

hadlex wrote:I love Highsmith and have read maybe eleven or twelve of her novels but haven’t gotten to The Ripliad yet.

My favorite of hers may be The Tremor of Forgery.

Yeah that one’s my favorite too
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby i_am_agriculture » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:05 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:
abs wrote:
abs wrote:sorry, spamming the thread... but did anyone read this? French fantasy supposed to be of the caliber of his dark materials/similar series

thiiiiis was interesting. definitely intrigued to see how it pans out over the rest of the series (three more?) -- disappointing to have the main character's name misspelled on the second to last page tho. :|

Just started this. Still feeling it out but pretty sure 12 year old me would be into it.

I enjoyed this enough that I'm looking forward to reading the next one (that comes out in May). She's much better at world-building than storytelling. Pretty much every conflict that comes up is resolved within a chapter (or less). It looks like they fixed the typo too, although I remember a couple other ones scattered throughout the book.
i_am_agriculture

Postby alaska » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 am

reversemigraine wrote:Does anyone have any reading light reccs? We're co-sleeping with the little one right now and mine keeps waking her up.

situations like this are pretty much the only time i really prefer reading on my backlit kindle
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:41 am

I'm not sure how I'd never heard of Stuart Hall.
furrowed brow

Postby alaska » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 pm

not as good as anne carson's but useful as another angle on the poems

a bit hard to keep up with the big lists of people's and organization's names but still pretty great context

just started this but so far it is a profoundly bracing and useful read. increasingly persuaded by the argument that a lot of like 90s and early 00s queer theory is psyched on trans people as an abstract idea but at the expense of really sort of giving a shit about them. i still think a lot of those thinkers are chill and helpful and will always adore eve sedgwick in particular but yeah idk

extremely kicks ass
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby walt whitman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:01 pm

i'm a few stories into the Invisible Planets chinese sci-fi collection. pretty good so far. but my main complaint is all the stories have had nice set-ups and terrible, non-endings. oh well. there seems to be a heavy gibson and philip k dick influence to them all but maybe that's true for all sci-fi around the world, post 1980s
walt whitman

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Started reading The Day of the Triffids tonight and I'm really loving it. I don't really know anything about it so it's really mysterious and surprisingly grim for its time. Makes me want to read more horror
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

If you own me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm

i've avoided these out of vague bias and feel pretty vindicated by this tweet
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby rushedbehind » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:36 pm

I'm a couple of hundred pages into the second volume of Anniversaries and it's just amazing. I think because of its structural conceit (a chapter for every day in a year) it really benefits from a long, slow read. A lot of the blurb quotes compare it to Proust and Mann etc., but it's really its own thing completely.
rushedbehind

Postby shacky » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 am

basic af i know but i just read wuthering heights, stoner, the old man and the sea, wide sargasso sea (shoutout to cj), crime and punishment, the moviegoer (shoutout to emperor's son), amerika: the missing person, and, pale fire, all in the last 6 weeks and man, books, man
shacky

Postby shacky » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:47 am

currently reading the waves which is also :ryan:

what should i go with next: the idiot, anna karenina, invisible man
shacky

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:20 am

Recently:

I liked it! ...but the story was so irritating I was just pissed off the whole time.

I really liked it! I read it all at once late at night because it stressed me out so much I couldn't stop.

I really liked it! Some people might think it's hyperbolic or shallow or whatever (idk i'm not super smart), but I thought there was a lot to it and while some of his prose was a little boogymanish even for me, I thought it was great in a really bleak, terrifying way! It was also interesting reading something hyper-current as I don't typically read things when they first come out, and this focuses a lot on the contemporary. I already want to re-read certain sections more closely because they were very cool.

Up next!:
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 am

reversemigraine wrote:Does anyone have any reading light reccs? We're co-sleeping with the little one right now and mine keeps waking her up.

If you have one, I've been using my camping headlamp on night-mode (the red light) for the same reason. Setting it to low also works, but i think the red is arguably even less disruptive.
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby RIXX » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:19 am

RIXX

Postby shizaam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Recently:
I really liked it! Some people might think it's hyperbolic or shallow or whatever (idk i'm not super smart), but I thought there was a lot to it and while some of his prose was a little boogymanish even for me, I thought it was great in a really bleak, terrifying way! It was also interesting reading something hyper-current as I don't typically read things when they first come out, and this focuses a lot on the contemporary. I already want to re-read certain sections more closely because they were very cool.

Up next!:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. All the historical stuff on SAGE is fascinating:
Once it became obvious that SAGE was worse than useless at preventing a nuclear war, it shape-shifted, following an in-flight meeting between the president of American Airlines and an IBM salesman, into the Semi-Automated Business Research Environment (SABRE) – a multinational corporation for managing airline reservations.

This verso podcast / interview with him is a great followup https://overcast.fm/+GqBvzcotI

He presents himself consistently as an optimist, though in light of everything he covers, I find it very hard to see where he's coming from.
shizaam

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Ezekiel Cletus

Postby adam sampler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:20 pm

loved this

adam sampler

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:43 pm

adam sampler wrote:Image

Essex County kinda wrecks me.

I dunno if Lemire has ever really topped it.
reversemigraine

Postby adam sampler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:16 am

ordered the other two today -- it's exactly what I look for in a comic, really digging it.

would love suggestions for similar stuff!
adam sampler

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Got a new entry in my Books That Will Be Awkward to Read in Public collection:

Eyeball Kid

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:Have you seen the American friend yet?

No, I haven't even seen Purple Noon (lol). I can imagine these sequels working better as movies. I heard one of them combines elements of the 2nd and 3rd books, maybe that's the one you mean?

My initial responses are snotty but I needed to record my reactions before I forget what happens in which book. And I am very disappointed with the waste of Ripley as a character but all the domestic stuff is well done. I'm not bored when I'm reading about Tom trying to get rid of ants, or taking harpsichord lessons. It's the "thriller" stuff that's bombing so like don't make these Tom Ripley books at all, then. 4th book has a more plausible and promising setup so far...
Riverchrist

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 pm

I finished Day of the Triffids tonight and I liked it a lot, I guess someone called it a "comfy catastrophe" as it doesn't get as bad as you might think but I found it really compelling and a fun read. I am sort of surprised he didn't write a sequel, and I'm sort of surprised that the Triffids come off as less of a terror than I thought they'd be, they are almost secondary in some ways
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

If you own me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....