Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Malcolm Money » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:26 pm

idk what possessed me to start this now, but I guess it's kinda fitting after completing My Struggle. I really enjoyed his writing about childhood, now the Smiths just got started and the writing quality is dipping a little.
Why do so many white people feel they have something to say artistically?

Malcolm Money

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:42 pm

I finished Anthony Trollope's Doctor Thorne, which was a little longer than it needed to be but it was still a lot of fun. I really like these Barchester novels.

Gonna start tomorrow:
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Also has anybody read any of the Waverley Novels? Are they any good? Are they supposed to be read in order?

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 am

finished the magic mountain and cried a lot. beautiful book

feeling like reading some bukowski next tbh, is ham on rye worth it?

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:59 am

Loved the first chapter but by the end I was wondering if it was 'too experimental' for my taste or if I'm just excusing Johnson's tendency to write unfocused books w/ very little reason to care about any of the characters. I also read 80% of it during a very cramped 4 hour train journey and may not have been in the ideal environment to actually take any of it in. Oh well.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression

Sports Fan of the Year

Postby aububs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:33 am

I think christie malry is a great book. I like all Johnson's books tbh. I do think he was a genius but not necessarily a genius who made you care about his characters. jonathan coe's biography of him is really good too. I've never watched the christie malry movie and don't know if I will. I'm not sure how that ever happened
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby bunkbeds » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 am

chowder julius wrote:finished the magic mountain and cried a lot. beautiful book

i actually came in here to ask how you’re doing with magic mountain. i’m like 20% thru it and struggling a bit. your post has inspired me to keep at it!

bunkbeds

Postby chowder julius » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:21 am

bunkbeds wrote:
chowder julius wrote:finished the magic mountain and cried a lot. beautiful book

i actually came in here to ask how you’re doing with magic mountain. i’m like 20% thru it and struggling a bit. your post has inspired me to keep at it!

aw, I'm so happy to hear that! it's the first book that made me cry not because it's sad but because it is a work of art. i have lots of thoughts. the chapter called "snow" is just sublimely perfect writing. so is the one where joachim diesToggle Spoiler (major spoiler for you at this point) i think the only book I cried more at was the world according to garp heh.

chowder julius

Postby powderfinger » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:28 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Lots of sci-fi for some reason

Recently:
Cixin Liu - The Three-Body Problem
This was good but kind of dry. The conceptual headiness was appealing but everything else was a little flat.

that's how I felt about it too, but the sequels blew my mind

powderfinger

Postby adam sampler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:15 am

adam sampler

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Okay I just finished Dune and while I really wish I'd read it when I was 15, I still thought it was pretty cool. A complete nerdgasm of world building, very cool ideas throughout!

Now I'm three stories into A Good Man is Hard to Find and frankly idk if Flannery O'Connor is taught in American high schools and super well-known or whatever but it's my first exposure to her and I'm loving it. Frankly, she's incredible!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:06 pm

The title story is a staple of high school / early college lit courses, yeah.

reversemigraine

Postby guy forget » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Yeah I must gave read it five different times during my education (not complaining!!)
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby j-ol » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 pm

i read her complete stories last year, so damn good. picked up her novel, wise blood, at the used bookstore and will probably prioritize it now she's back on my mind.

j-ol

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:38 pm

this was one of the best SF i've read in a long time. it's so refreshing to read something where the author really thought through their central concept and took full advantage to explore the character's humanity. the protagonist was a little dry and remote from events in his own life, but that was the entire point, so i can't knock it. otherwise it was the kind of SF where i'd find myself staring off into space just thinking "oh fuck. man...fuck..."

tawny frogmouth wrote:Image

tawny frogmouth

Postby walt whitman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 am

inspired to read this after watching lynch's masterclass
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Kenny wrote:I

Gonna start tomorrow:

This was a weird weird book that I'm not sure I understood or enjoyed. Pretty big disappointment after meaning to read it for a long time

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Sobieski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:36 pm

it's definitely not peak Chesterton
sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 pm

sm//o/ke le/ss weed
and sleep more
always/ tip %20

Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Riverchrist » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Martin Amis never shuts the fuck up about Saul Bellow but I've only read a couple of his shorter novels. Time to investigate my favorite band's favorite band then, as it were. And I thought I was being clever by reading the big Chicago book while in Europe but he didn't write it in Chicago either, huh?

Nelson Algren's Depression-era city always remains remote to me in a way, but I recognize Bellow's: "the stationary wintriness of the black steel harness of the bridge over the dragging unnamable mixture of the river flowing backwards with its waste." I'm enjoying this very much.

Riverchrist

Postby chowder julius » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm

chowder julius wrote:i went on a european vacation with a hungarian board lurker who started DMing me about books on instagram this year jesus christ

guess who's coming to read my books for three weeks lol

i'm reading ham on rye it's fine

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:37 am

Re-reading Dubliners now, which I remember liking a lot but it's funny how I don't remember any of the stories so far. Feel a deeper appreciation for it after reading Ulysses too.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 am

ham on rye does a really good job of depicting what child abuse feels like from the point of view of a kid. slightly triggering but also fascinating to read something that i identify with in this way

chowder julius

Postby theta » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:52 am

theta wrote:
shacky wrote:
theta wrote:Image

pretty fascinating but i wish there was more about costume design

you know there's like a 4 hour doco that covers pretty similar territory yeah? i think it's called dangerous days. can't really recall how in depth they go with costume design but it's asbsolutely worth a watch anyway

yeah, i have it downloaded i'm just waiting til i'm done with the book to watch it

ok so i finished the book AND watched the documentary and while the stuff about the miniatures and matte paintings was truly fascinating (and super cool to see in the doco vs. just reading about it in the book) the costume design wasn't really covered at all. WHERE is the exposé we want and need on the genius of charles knode????
big zorb wrote:If you don't have a combination of

A) a need to walk around all the time
B) a real hatred of capital and
C) real bad depression

I don't think I understand you tbh

theta

Postby chowder julius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 am

I saw him run off the back porch and into the garage. He came out with a two-by-four about a foot long. From the corner of my eye I saw him throw it. I saw it coming but made no attempt to avoid it. It hit me on the back of my right leg. The pain was terrible. The leg knotted up and I had to force myself to walk. I kept pushing the mower, trying not to limp. When I swung around to cut another section of the lawn the two-by-four was in the way. I picked it up, moved it aside and kept mowing. The pain was getting worse. Then my father was standing beside me.

ok this is kind of triggering. i like this book. baby's first bukowski. i can't believe i like this?

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 am

I don't think you're allowed to like Bukowski anymore unless you frame it as "I used to like him but now I think he sucks" kind of way but I remember liking some of his poetry a lot.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 am

i've read a lot of books about shitty families but i guess this is the first that captures a relatable experience of poverty and violence and abuse for me. i'm intrigued! i'm not sure i want to read any of his other books tho

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:59 am

He definitely was a drunk who abused women so IRZ shrug

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:04 am

what are the non problematic stories of poverty and child abuse tone sincere

i identified w rubyfruit jungle a lot but it wasn't as violent or visceral

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:05 am

i think the bildungsroman is my favorite literary genre. they're the most evocative for me, i think just about every book i've cried at has been one and i definitely sobbed at barry lyndon for similar reasons

chowder julius

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....