Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Last year I decided to read more women and in the end over half the books I read were by women. I want to keep it up especially as it helped me discover Rose Macaulay and led me to read my first LeGuin
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Kenny have u read Muriel spark
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:40 pm

warmhouse wrote:do you guys have yearly goals/resolutions? mine for last year was to buy second hand books, for this year its read more women.

i think next year i'm going to try to do kindle only?

last year it was to read 100 books (and collect physical copies of each, overwhelmingly used), this year its to improve on total pages read and to read from authors from as many different countries as possible
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm

march is women's history month, it's a good opportunity to do a mini challenge to read more women. i'm doing a black lit challenge this month for black history month
chowder julius

Postby warmhouse » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 pm

one problem with my wish to read more women, it coincided with beginning a 1200 page book by a man. i am doing a bad job at this so far, but podody's nerfect.
warmhouse

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:17 am

warmhouse wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:did it get a hardcover rerelease? if it's a first print then no question

the first release is hardback. if vollman's name is spelled wrong on the back (did I spell it wrong just then?) then its a first edition.

i feel it's important to make clear that i know the initial release was hardback, hence me typing rerelease in the original post
ahungbunny

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:57 am

Maybe ten years ago I made a resolution to read more women. It was a big success. Then I stopped consciously working towards it but naturally built an ever-growing wishlist of books that just happened to be 90% female. My top 10 all-time list is now mostly all women.
No Good Advice

Postby moses » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 am

Post the list
moses

Postby j-ol » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:45 pm

i did an entire year of only women's authors in 2017. highlights were ferrante, lucia berlin, flannery o'connor, clarice lispector, elizabeth smart 'by grand central station i sat down and wept', helen dewitt, le guin, patti smith.

i asked for reqs itt, got a tonne of fantastic recs for the wishlist.

page 815

https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.p ... tart=24420
j-ol

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm

moses wrote:Post the list

I fear it's not that interesting to look at. My resolution back then led me to 18th and 19th century English literature which completely took over my reading life and that obsession has only occasionally let up.

Something like

Charlotte Brontë (eternal #1) - Villette / Jane Eyre
George Eliot - Middlemarch / Mill on the Floss
Jane Austen - Mansfield Park / Emma / Persuasion
J.M. Coetzee - Waiting for the Barbarians / Summertime
Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth
Anne Brontë - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Frances Burney - Evelina
Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights
Le Guin - Left Hand of Darkness
Jon Fosse / Ferrante etc
No Good Advice

Postby j-ol » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm

wait is jm coetzee a woman?
j-ol

Postby mudd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm

No. “Mostly all”

m
mudd

Postby j-ol » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm

aaah right didn't read the first post carefully enough.
j-ol

Postby i_am_agriculture » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:09 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:Now reading:
Seasonal Associate by Heike Geissler

This turned out the be really great. It's a "non-fiction novel" about a writer who ends up working in an Amazon warehouse to make ends meet. I was a little concerned going in that this would end up falling into the category of the overdone investigative journalism trope of "I went undercover at Amazon to see what working conditions are really like", but it ended up being more of a meditation on the value and purpose of work in general. Really clever used of first- and second-person narrator, too. Highly recommended.

Next up is Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle:

i_am_agriculture

Postby Disko aka Disco » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 am

Disko aka Disco

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:18 pm

The Prennial Philosophy was so good, I'm even gonna buy it in physical copy to read through again, very inspiring and like solidification of things I felt before. It's got some wierd bits about minor pyschic abilities being provable and also some post-Jungian personality type stuff that always makes my eyes roll but other than that it was so spot on for me.

Gonna keep religion rolling and read this next:

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Been a minute since I've posted in this thread, but I haven't stopped reading. Rather than post what I've read since I last posted here, I'll just post what I'm reading right now:

A House for Mr Biswas - V.S. Naipaul

On deck:

Voss - Patrick White

The only White book I've previously read is The Vivisector. I would have gotten around to Voss eventually, but a recent post by user vivian darkbloom inspired me to get to it sooner rather than later.
Eyeball Kid

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:35 pm

chowder julius wrote:Kenny have u read Muriel spark

The name rings a bell but I'm not recognizing any of her books so nope I guess!

I also want to drop Sylvia Townsend Warner, I read The Corners That Held Them last year and it was sooooooo good. I mean to read Lolly Willowes at some point this year

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby rushedbehind » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 am

i just never got around to reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude so i'm reading it now. pretty much perfect so far
rushedbehind

Postby Seamus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Recently:

Tarjei Vesaas - The Boat in the Evening
Vesaas wrote some of my favourite ever books but this is a world away from most of his work. Less of a novel, more a series of vignettes. It's good in parts, but can get very abstract.

James Baldwin - If Beale Street Could Talk
This was great!

Guy De Maupassant - Afloat
I loved the idea of this book but didn't like the reality of it much at all. Basically the author is a pretentious dick.

Samanta Schweblin - Fever Dream
Damn what a book! I loved this. Almost gave me a panic attack though...

Rachel Kushner - The Mars Room
I was a big fan of The Flamethrowers but this one was just... okay? I feel like it tried to do too much and ended up doing very little in the process.

Edward St Aubyn - Some Hope
My least favourite of the Patrick Melrose novels so far, but these things are a breeze to read.

Samanta Schweblin - Mouthful of Birds
I had to read something else by Schweblin after Fever Dream so I pre-ordered this. It's a short story collection and it's fine / good, but none of the stories capture that feeling of dread which is so present in Fever Dream.

Roberto Bolaño - The Spirit of Science Fiction
New Bolaño! This is clearly earlier work and an embryo of ideas which were refined in The Savage Detectives, but it was still fun to read. It's comforting to think that Bolaño has all of these lost and alternate works, almost like he's giving life to one of his own themes.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Will be eager to hear the board's thoughts on the Marlon James.
reversemigraine

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:15 pm

I really liked A Brief History of Seven Killings but I am reluctant to get into a fantasy trilogy
Eyeball Kid

Postby ahungbunny » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 pm

rushedbehind wrote:i just never got around to reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude so i'm reading it now. pretty much perfect so far

lol i hate that book
ahungbunny

Postby tonybricker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 am

ahungbunny wrote:
rushedbehind wrote:i just never got around to reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude so i'm reading it now. pretty much perfect so far

lol i hate that book

I loved it initially and completely flipped on it about halfway through, I also hate it
tonybricker

Postby tonybricker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 am

Reading this now, I will reserve judgment until I’m done but it is dark and really funny

tonybricker

Postby warmhouse » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am

ahungbunny wrote:
warmhouse wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:did it get a hardcover rerelease? if it's a first print then no question

the first release is hardback. if vollman's name is spelled wrong on the back (did I spell it wrong just then?) then its a first edition.

i feel it's important to make clear that i know the initial release was hardback, hence me typing rerelease in the original post

look, im actually illiterate, so the fact i said anything at all is a miracle
warmhouse

Postby Arturo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 am

tonybricker wrote:
ahungbunny wrote:

lol i hate that book

I loved it initially and completely flipped on it about halfway through, I also hate it

Defo my most hated book. Found it so tedious
Arturo

Postby cruiserbob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

you guys are crazy
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby chowder julius » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 pm

chowder julius

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Disgusted at the Gabriel García Márquez bashing here
Eyeball Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....