Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tanaka » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:35 am

trigross wrote:My sister china looks great, I really enjoyed Oracle Bones and am currently reading The Souls of China. Love a good China memoir. I picked up the Spence Mao bio - is it any good?

sorry i took a while to respond to this.... yes, you should read def read it and let me know what you think. i've so far tried and failed to read two mao biogs (feigon, pantsov), the latter was hyped as being super authoritative, but i noticed that despite all the endless notes (200+ pages of them), they'd leave a lot of big claims completely unsourced... also states that the poorest rural peasants at the time were "rabble" not interested in economic reform, they just wanted to "cause trouble". i thought that was pretty wild.

other mao biogs i'll try in the future: meisner, schram + terrill

Kenny wrote:I read A Rebours last year and it was really beautiful but a heavy slow read (not in a bad way, just endless description and it's basically all his opinions)

it's important to complete the entire Durtal cycle!
tanaka

Postby chowder julius » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:22 am

Kenny wrote:I read A Rebours last year and it was really beautiful but a heavy slow read (not in a bad way, just endless description and it's basically all his opinions)

i loved it (and think about that turtle a lot) and definitely get what you mean, it compared to american psycho for me in that regard. but i loved it. i read the picture of dorian gray first and in it he's reading a rebours, so I read it after, and i think that context helped me appreciate a rebours better
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:46 pm

love it so far. I've read going to meet the man and some of his essays but this is the first novel I've read by baldwin
chowder julius

Postby shizaam » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 am

just burned through cusk's outline trilogy... and now i'm kind of at a loss for what's next as far as fiction. reading malcolm harris' kids these days
shizaam

Postby Sobieski » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:17 pm

rereading
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby blab » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:01 pm

blab

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

giovanni's room was so good
chowder julius

Postby supersaturated » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Robert Alter's translation and commentary of the Hebrew Bible is hitting the spot.

Like this, from an intro to Genesis, "If Genesis were the work of a single writer, one would say he begins at the top of his form, not slowly and circuitously, like the late Henry James, but with a tour de force, like Proust in the initial pages of In Search of Lost Time."
supersaturated

Postby alaska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 pm

i loved giovanni's room

maybe i should reread it. i should probably give "another country" another go first
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby alaska » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm

supersaturated wrote:Like this, from an intro to Genesis, "If Genesis were the work of a single writer, one would say he begins at the top of his form, not slowly and circuitously, like the late Henry James, but with a tour de force, like Proust in the initial pages of In Search of Lost Time."

*heart eyes emoji*
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Ezekiel Cletus

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 pm

one chapter into this and it's so good holy shit?

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 pm

chowder julius

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 pm

WEBDB was the real deal.

Read Black Reconstruction in America. And his write-up of the Jesse Washington lynching: https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/blackkklansman-read-w-e-b-du-bois-account-of-the-real-life-lynching-described-in-the-film.html
reversemigraine

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 pm

thank you!! will absolutely check this out. i am sold on this dude
chowder julius

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Damn I wish that new copy of The Souls of Black Folk had been out when I read it, such a phenomenal work. How is Ibram Kendi's intro?
rich uncle skeleton

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 pm

I can't do any for pleasure reading rn cause of school but I am gonna burn through this over the weekend for a reading group on linguistic anthropology I'm doing with my friend and his advisor:
rich uncle skeleton

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:34 am

Was intrigued and a little bit sceptical about this being lauded as a 'great new Victorian tome' -- would it be pastiche, was it parody, what was the point. Turns out that's not really a problem. She writes a bit more long-winded, explores mannerisms and asides a bit more than maybe some modern writers, but it flows well. In fact it flows impressively well, the craft is here - but ultimately this isn't for me - the book is very much concerned with its mysteries, its plots, its characters' odd histories, and that may give the right people a meaningful insight into this old New Zealand world she's building, but for me there wasn't enough character study, not enough interest in what went on in these people's minds, or why we should care about the machinations of murder, deceit, corruption in this society. It's a mystery novel that's very long. A super complex plot that's impressively pulled off, but didn't connect with me.
No Good Advice

Postby warmhouse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:09 am

The life bits were as expected, but they felt like the end of a movie, when you knew there was only a couple of minutes left, and things weren't really drawing to a close yet; what would happen? Would it just END? Beautiful and heartbreaking and raw and real and ugly, especially the Linda health story. The Hitler stuff was drivel that I'm sure had some proper meaning, but minds far more willing than mine can go unpack it.

I realised about halfway through that the books were more interesting when they weren't so meta. They were great when it was just an autobiographical outpouring. Once it started having to refer to itself, it felt like it was outstaying its welcome. This felt post. Spent. Over.

(Hey - at least I don't need to read Mein Kampf now!)
warmhouse

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 am

Ann Quin - The Unmapped Country
This was fantastic. Such compelling stories. Comforting to know that women writers can sometimes be as obsessed with writing about boobs as their male counterparts.

Jennifer Lynch - The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer
Would be interested to hear the hipinion on this from the board's deep TP heads. I liked it a lot for about the first half, after which point it started seeming very repetitive. Sheryl Lee's audiobook reading was p intense.

Now:
Rita Indiana - Tentacle
Queer Caribbean scifi. This has started off extremely strong
HotFingersClub

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am

Just finished:

Very up my alley but also just a frivolous quick read
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby shizaam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:55 am

started george eliot's silas marner last night
shizaam

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 am

I went to Highgate Cemetary to do some grave visiting and when I went to George Eliot's grave there was a fan society there down from somewhere up north cleaning the grave and planting flowers around it and they asked me if I was a fan and I politely lied and said I was (I haven't read anything by her) and then they asked me what my favorite was, and I thankfully remembered Silas Marner because they talk about it A Christmas Story...

Could have dropped Middlemarch if they asked for my second favorite :ugeek:
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:23 pm

reversemigraine

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:25 pm

shizaam wrote:started george eliot's silas marner last night

Huge fan of her, but this is kinda my least favorite of hers
No Good Advice

Postby shizaam » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

No Good Advice wrote:

it's my first. maybe middlemarch next?
shizaam

Postby walt whitman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm

rich uncle skeleton wrote:I can't do any for pleasure reading rn cause of school but I am gonna burn through this over the weekend for a reading group on linguistic anthropology I'm doing with my friend and his advisor:

goffman has a surprisingly large presence in my dissertation on experimental film, rn...good stuff
walt whitman

Postby No Good Advice » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm

shizaam wrote:
No Good Advice wrote:

it's my first. maybe middlemarch next?

Middlemarch is the best, funniest, most page-turn-y, Mill on the Floss and Daniel Deronda the other two big masterpieces. Silas Marner felt like a much smaller and more straight-forward story, but I've only read it once, may have been in the wrong mood.
No Good Advice

Postby sadville » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:06 pm

i've seen multiple opinions that danny d is the greatest novel of the 19th century

i have a copy sitting in a box somewhere :(
sadville

Postby alaska » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:10 pm

wow reverse migraine that stuart hall collection looks fucking sick
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....