Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadbass » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Sorry for the massive dump of books but I've been reading a bunch of eco-fiction and naturalist writing and wanted to share (not going to post pictures because I think that'd be annoying):

Primeval and Other Times by Olga Tokarczuk

This book was amazingly good and I'm surprised it's not mentioned more here. Totally should be part of the Hipinion canon. It's like totally different take on One Hundred Years of Solitude (one of my favourite books, but I think the people upthread who didn't like that might like this). Tokarczuk is crazy-talented, going to read Flights later this year for sure.

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

Loved this. So quiet and wry and unemotional and yet surprisingly warm.

Our Land was a Forest by Kayano Shigeru

This was really interesting and good. Kayano Shigeru was one of the last remaining speakers of the Ainu language (the indigenous people of northern Japan). He talks about his experiences growing up in an Ainu family when Japan really started to force integration with the rest of Japan. In the beginning, he is fairly indifferent to his culture, but he becomes a great advocate and collector of traditions and objects. I found it really moving and his story is very resonant with the issues of First Nation colonization in North America (although different in many respects).

The Overstory by Richard Powers

Thanks to whomever recommended this upthread (I tried to find the post but I couldn't), I really really loved this book. It was full of so many facts and tales that honestly completely rewrote my understanding of trees and the natural world at large. I think the book fizzles out at the end and never really pays off the promise of the first two-thirds, but I enjoyed it so much that the last section didn't really smother my enthusiasm for having read it.

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben

I wanted more information about the stuff Powers mentions about how trees communicate with each other, and this books is full of really interesting and shocking facts about trees. I found it a bit repetitive and boring in sections (I greatly preferred getting the same information in the Overstory, which was much more resonant), but I'm glad I read it.

Runes of the North by Sigurd E. Olson

Thanks AdamThomas for this rec! I really enjoyed this. Olson is a great writer who really captures the mystical aspects of spending time in the wilderness. Inspired me to plan more camping and kayaking trips this summer :) I loved the chapter about finding wild cranberries the best.

The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane

Really loved this. It's basically a book about the emotional connection we have to walking paths all over the world. Macfarlane mostly transits through paths in England and Scotland but he also goes to Spain, Palestine and elsewhere. He's a really thoughtful and canny writer who has a curiosity of etymology and gathering stories about places. Just a fantastic book to encourage you to walk and think about the experience of walking.

The Wild Places by Robert Macfarlane

I think I liked this even more. Macfarlane attempts to discover the wild places that still exist in Britain. Once again, his thoughts range through history and literature and just really inspired me to think more deeply about wilderness, what it means, and the effect it has on us.

Sorry for the big list of books but I thought I'd share because there've been some real gems!
deadbass

Postby Pris » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Finished this wonderful collection with some of his major novellas and some surprisingly disturbing stories.

Now reading Seven Japanese Tales, which has some overlap with the other book.

Pris

Postby i_am_agriculture » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm

i_am_agriculture wrote:Just finished this and can highly recommend it.

Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta

In the late 1960’s, Adah, a spirited and resourceful woman manages to move her family to London. Seeking an independent life for herself and her children she encounters racism and hard truths about being a new citizen.

The Paris Review just posted a really good article about Buchi Emecheta:

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/02/28/re-covered-in-the-ditch/
i_am_agriculture

Postby the upland trout » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 pm

I just finished this:
I think I liked it, but - and maybe I just wasn't reading it closely enough - what was going on and the setting within which it was all happening wasn't terribly clear to me. I also found the descriptions of the giant mollusk-like city/ships that were the setting of the third novella to be confusing and hard to visualize.
But it was funny and gross and weird.

Up next:
My girlfriend got this for me and we will be reading it together, though she will be reading it in Turkish.

Rereading this for a writing project that may or may not be going anywhere:
the upland trout

Postby dvr » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 pm

dvr

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am

What'd you think of Childhood's End? I thought it was really fun n good
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:29 pm

“Tom had never seen a gentler murderer.”

In a refraction of the first book, a young American travelling alone ingratiates himself with Tom Ripley. But Frank Pierson isn’t in awe of Tom’s lifestyle, as his own family is fabulously wealthy. He’s envious of Tom’s inner life—that Tom feels no guilt (well, almost none) for his many crimes.

Frank gets kidnapped in Berlin, I guess because this book needed some “action.” In a wacky scheme worthy of Ernest P. Worrell, Tom dresses in drag and chases away the kidnappers. The kidnapping/ransom part of the story doesn’t make sense but if anything this book refuses to get weird enough, maybe because Frank is only sixteen. At least motives and emotions are somewhat ambiguous again. And this time Tom is trying very hard to save someone’s life.

Lou Reed’s Transformer features heavily. Patricia Highsmith must have loved it. The extended denouement with Tom ferrying Frank back to his family in the U.S. adds very little. The best of the sequels so far (and I don’t have a lot of hope for the final book) but still a missed opportunity.
Toggle Spoiler
Riverchrist

Postby theta » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:02 pm

totally batshit
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby speakers » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:46 pm

finally reading dune

pretty corny 40 pages in
speakers

Postby Chyet » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:54 pm

I mentioned in chowder's thread but i'm reading "A Tale for the Time Being"

it has a fuckin' wall of praise to include an insert w/ more praise for this book. i did a hipinion search and only one person has mentioned it, in 2013. i guess I can see why- it skims over a lot and likes to make some pretty superficial references. the kid lapses into the narrator's voice sometimes in ways that are jolting. and yet, maybe because i've been frozen solid in my ability to enjoy fiction for so long, I am just enjoying the same things Oprah fans do I think. 20 pages feel like 5 minutes and they throw enough glitter at you to make to really enjoyable. and, especially following up on a sprint-read of Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the lane, this dread I get from a lot of streaming and how there isn't media for me has been lifted. it's like, oh shit you dumbass, you forgot that you like to read in and of itself. not just for information or whatever. So that is good
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
Chyet

Postby theta » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:05 pm

speakers wrote:finally reading dune

pretty corny 40 pages in

dune is corny af

yeah, ok, "paul" and "jessica"
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 pm

theta wrote:Image

totally batshit

SO GOOD

I read it along with michael moorcock’s cornelius quartet on warren ellis’ rec as a teen, always thought it was underrated. big influence on transmetropoliran

it probably feels more relevant than ever, huh?
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby theta » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm

yeah it is pretty amazing how prescient it is on some points
theta

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm

200 pages in, and I'm pleased to be enjoying Marlon James's Black Leopard, Red Wolf. Not a big fantasy guy, so I wasn't thrilled when I learned his follow-up to the very good A Brief History of Seven Killings would be a fantasy *trilogy*, but I'm digging it so far.
Eyeball Kid

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 pm

theta wrote:
speakers wrote:finally reading dune

pretty corny 40 pages in

dune is corny af

yeah, ok, "paul" and "jessica"

I'm 150 in and wish I were 15yrs old
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby dvr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:34 am

Kenny wrote:What'd you think of Childhood's End? I thought it was really fun n good

I'm only about 1/4 through.

Great writing though.

The only other Clarke I've read is Rendezvous With Rama (super good). He can describe a setting so well.

I don't have a ton of free time to read for fun right now so these shorter sci-fi classics have been perfect.
dvr

Postby deep blue meanies » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 am

the upland trout wrote:
Up next:
My girlfriend got this for me and we will be reading it together, though she will be reading it in Turkish.

how is this? looks up my alley.

half way through:

deep blue meanies

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:54 am

dvr wrote:
Kenny wrote:What'd you think of Childhood's End? I thought it was really fun n good

I'm only about 1/4 through.

Great writing though.

The only other Clarke I've read is Rendezvous With Rama (super good). He can describe a setting so well.

I don't have a ton of free time to read for fun right now so these shorter sci-fi classics have been perfect.

lol sorry I forgot even that the title is what are you reading right now! I always post about books after I finished them, my bad.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tanaka » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:55 am

amusing take on the 吃人 thing
tanaka

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 am

Mathias Enard - Tell Them of Battles, Kings and Elephants

This was great. A beautiful, quick, classy read.

Now:
Cixin Liu - The Three-Body Problem
Last edited by HotFingersClub on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HotFingersClub

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 am

started this last night and finished half of it before bed. lovely weird little book. extremely mystic bro
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:29 pm

mascotte wrote:What reading on photography would you guys recommend besides Sontag's essays?

idk how 'academic' you want to get here, but kaja silverman's miracle of analogy is really special and pathbreaking in more ways than one i think
https://www.sup.org/books/title/?id=25116

and it isn't out yet, but nathan jurgenson's social photo is a bit more down to earth and perhaps offers a bit more immediate resonance with contemporary issues
https://www.versobooks.com/books/2947-the-social-photo
Barthes Starr

Postby blab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:30 pm

hi I'm looking for some decent suspense/thrillers to check out

this was asked a while back (found by using the Google search engine)

steaming shit wrote:What are everyone's favorite light-reading airport fiction - thrillers, suspense etc?

the answers when the question was first asked were Elmore Leonard and the Godfather

any fresh answers to that question? nothing wrong with Elmore of course, i'm just tossing a line out there.

i'm reading The Vegetarian by Han Kang and Ice Haven by Daniel Clowes

blab

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:34 pm

blab wrote:hi I'm looking for some decent suspense/thrillers to check out

steaming shit wrote:What are everyone's favorite light-reading airport fiction - thrillers, suspense etc?

the answers when the question was first asked were Elmore Leonard and the Godfather

any fresh answers to that question? nothing wrong with Elmore of course, i'm just tossing a line out there.

ice haven is my fav daniel clowes!!

what do you think of it?
mercenaries of slime

Postby dvr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm

The Martian
Old Man's War
The Sicilian
dvr

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:59 pm

RE: Thrillers / Suspense - Fever Dream is the most suspenseful novel I've read in a looooong time. But if you want something a bit breezier maybe some Simenon

Recently:

I didn't like it!

This was okay, fun sometimes, annoying other times

Finishing up a reread of this

Currently:

and about to start this once I finish the Bolaño:

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby blab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:

ice haven is my fav daniel clowes!!

what do you think of it?

i really like it so far! it's cool how it's told in strips, like in episodes. i esp liked the first strip behind the cover where the comic critic describes the experience of reading comics as a thing you between two kinds of symbols, internal (words, fiction) and external (images, cartoons)

i've only read a couple of comics recently, so i checked out like a dozen at the library on saturday.

btw, i plan on getting A Manual for Cleaning Women to read after i'm done with The Vegetarian. also will for sure be catching up on Jean Rhys, Anna Kavan and Mina Loy at some point thanks to your recommendations slimeee
blab

Postby blab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 pm

ty for the suspense/thriller recommendations friends

i must be the only person on this site that liked Eileen
Last edited by blab on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blab

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 pm

dvr wrote:

The Martian
Old Man's War
The Sicilian

The Mask of Dimitrios and Journey into Fear by Eric Ambler
Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze
The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing
Young Once and Sundays in August by Patrick Modiano
Pretty much anything by Patricia Highsmith
Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
Last edited by Slamwich Artist on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:34 pm

blab wrote:btw, i plan on getting A Manual for Cleaning Women to read after i'm done with The Vegetarian. also will for sure be catching up on Jean Rhys, Anna Kavan and Mina Loy at some point thanks to your recommendations slimeee

:D
mercenaries of slime

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....