what are you reading right now?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Kenny wrote:I read that Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin earlier in the hear (I hope I inspired?!?!? :) ) and really really loved it. I was surprised at how smart he obviously was, and how honest he was (about what he wanted to be honest about, certain things he stays completely silent on like some of his relationships)


Thank you, Kenny. I didn't know that this book existed until I saw your post about it. My stepson has been getting into a lot the classic comedy films (Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd) and my wife and I got him the book. He hasn't started reading it yet, so I borrowed it from him. So far, it seems like a very enjoyable read. Chaplin had a very tough childhood and overcame a lot.

We also got Harpo Marx's Autobiography (Harpo Speaks) and I look forward to reading it soon too.
User avatar
Ezekiel Cletus
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Postby Chyet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

starting "The American Way of Death" after seeing it mentioned all morning and noticed it sitting on a bookshelf around the house(not my purchase) in the same morning.
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
User avatar
Chyet
 
Posts: 11267
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Sundae Mournin'

Postby blab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm

aghh i have audible credits that i didn't mean to pay for over the last couple months. i need to spend the credits before cancelling.

i can't figure out how to enjoy listening to an audiobook. feel like i'm constantly missing things. if there's a way i can gift these to you please let me know. otherwise, requesting lifehack on enjoying audiobook!!
User avatar
blab
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm
Location: a family pond

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm

chowder julius wrote:
guy forget wrote:I’ve only read Crabwalk but thought it was very cool and very bleak

it's funny that crab walking is a theme of his?? i am going to read more

but first i'm finally gonna read
Image

there are a bunch of short stories in this edition but i think i'm just gonna read death in venice which is v short. i was browsing my shelf for other nobel winners to read this month since mudd tricked me into it and it looks like i'm about to be on a german kick too because i've got some herta muller on deck (i am counting her as romanian for the sake of my map)

finished this heh. not my favorite literary pedo but worth the read. I think i'm gonna do herta next before the magic mountain so I can get some little book momentum goin
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 15977
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby barbara_h » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm

meeshpotato wrote:read fever dream last night from 11:30-1:30 after taking some melatonin. didn't realize what i was getting into/that it has to be read in one sitting, and was just planning on starting it. incredible experience. thanks to whomever recommended it.


such a great book.

this got me wondering, could you guys list novels from the past 10 years that you think would belong on the HPN canon list ? Been craving for more great contemporary stuff. (I would add Fever Dream obv :mrgreen: )
User avatar
barbara_h
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:34 am

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 pm

barbara_h wrote:
meeshpotato wrote:read fever dream last night from 11:30-1:30 after taking some melatonin. didn't realize what i was getting into/that it has to be read in one sitting, and was just planning on starting it. incredible experience. thanks to whomever recommended it.


such a great book.

this got me wondering, could you guys list novels from the past 10 years that you think would belong on the HPN canon list ? Been craving for more great contemporary stuff. (I would add Fever Dream obv :mrgreen: )


Yeah I think Fever Dream would be there (and just a reminder from the last page, I'll post her new book for free to the first bidder but it's in Spanish)

Also The Argonauts, A Naked Singularity (if you take it from the major publication date), The Neapolitan Novels, some Karl Ove stuff.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Seamus
 
Posts: 9540
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Postby alaska » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 pm

oh my godddd i want to read the magic mountainnnnNNNN
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 12662
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm

alaska wrote:oh my godddd i want to read the magic mountainnnnNNNN


I'm sort of nervous for big upping it so much now because it is a long book and I hope other people like it as much as I did.

And then if you folks like Magic Mountain also read Buddenbrooks because it's also killerrrr

Also I learned from the Bearded Hans Castorp thread that I must have got the hardback after reading it elsewhere and the copy I have has the letter translated, so that's the Everyman ed.

Ezekiel Cletus wrote:
Kenny wrote:I read that Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin earlier in the hear (I hope I inspired?!?!? :) ) and really really loved it. I was surprised at how smart he obviously was, and how honest he was (about what he wanted to be honest about, certain things he stays completely silent on like some of his relationships)


Thank you, Kenny. I didn't know that this book existed until I saw your post about it. My stepson has been getting into a lot the classic comedy films (Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd) and my wife and I got him the book. He hasn't started reading it yet, so I borrowed it from him. So far, it seems like a very enjoyable read. Chaplin had a very tough childhood and overcame a lot.

We also got Harpo Marx's Autobiography (Harpo Speaks) and I look forward to reading it soon too.



That is so awesome that your kid is getting into old movies like that!!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 22118
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Slave to Armok: God of Blood

Postby broodstar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm

does anyone else obsess over getting the right, bestest translation/edition of a title possible
User avatar
broodstar
 
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 am

Postby abs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 pm

edit - damn it didn't mean to delete candy/candide.
Now onto:
Image
Last edited by abs on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
User avatar
abs
Queen Witch
 
Posts: 10051
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Ys

Postby abs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 pm

that cover tho :oops: :ahuh:
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
User avatar
abs
Queen Witch
 
Posts: 10051
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Ys

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 am

Image

This was fine, not really at all comparable to his other novels. Definitely takes itself far too seriously.
User avatar
i_am_agriculture
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:47 am

The cover of that Williams novel is so funny to me
User avatar
rushedbehind
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:Image

This was fine, not really at all comparable to his other novels. Definitely takes itself far too seriously.


NYRB should be above "BY THE AUTHOR OF..." trade dress.

Does this have an introduction, or were they afraid the essayist would talk too much about how much Williams disliked this book?
User avatar
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 11989
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am

When NYRB published Augustus—well after Stoner became a big seller for them—they didn't include a "by the author..." tage, but they did add this:

Image

which is as uncharacteristic as what they've done with Nothing but the Night.
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 25754
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah, although I kinda think they'd do that with any National Book Award winner. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other National Book Award winners that they've reprinted.
User avatar
reversemigraine
 
Posts: 11989
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

I think John Williams is a generic enough of a name that someone might need reminding on a casual look through at a bookshop
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 22118
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Slave to Armok: God of Blood

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am

reversemigraine wrote:Yeah, although I kinda think they'd do that with any National Book Award winner. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other National Book Award winners that they've reprinted.

This is the only other one (for fiction; haven't checked for other categories)

Image
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 25754
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

I was lazy and just reposted a pre-release cover from this thread, but the actual cover is worse:

Image

There's no introduction, but there's an interview with his widow at the end that only briefly mentions this novel (the entire interview is posted on the Paris Review website).

Also, if anyone wants to get in early on John Williams backlash:

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-puppet-master-mcclay (heads up though, there's Nothing but the Night spoilers)
User avatar
i_am_agriculture
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:02 pm

i'm reading IT. i've never read scary stephen king stuff before, just some short stories that weren't horror.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. i'm 300 pages in and nothing's been particularly scary, even the scary parts. it's well written and a fast read but i guess i'm having a case of classic material just not connecting for whatever reason. did this thing really need to be 1100 pages?
User avatar
tawny frogmouth
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Absolutely no Steven King needs to be as long as it is, but IT has a great ending
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 22118
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Slave to Armok: God of Blood

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Just remembered NYRB added this to the cover of their edition of The Door

Image

after the Times Book Review awarded it a top-ten spot.

I *get* why publishers do this, but as far as NYRB Classics goes, I wonder what percentage of their overall sales occurs in bookstores? Completely anecdotal, but of the dozens of their books I own, I think maybe two of them were purchased at a brick-and-mortar store. (Additionally, whether a book won an award or received a rave review from a big-name publication rarely factors in whether I buy it.)
User avatar
Eyeball Kid
 
Posts: 25754
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Anybody have any recommendations from the Man Booker longlist? Olga Tokarczuk and Samanta Schweblin are pretty well-known in here, but the rest are new to me.

Jokha Alharthi, Celestial Bodies (Sandstone Press Ltd)
Can Xue, Love In The New Millennium (Yale University Press)
Annie Ernaux, The Years (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Hwang Sok-yong, At Dusk (Scribe, UK)
Mazen Maarouf, Jokes For The Gunmen (Granta, Portobello Books)
Hubert Mingarelli, Four Soldiers (Granta, Portobello Books)
Marion Poschmann, The Pine Islands (Profile Books, Serpent's Tail)
Samanta Schweblin, Mouthful Of Birds (Oneworld)
Sara Stridsberg, The Faculty Of Dreams (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Juan Gabriel Vásquez, The Shape Of The Ruins (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Tommy Wieringa, The Death Of Murat Idrissi(Scribe, UK)
Alia Trabucco Zeran, The Remainder (And Other Stories)
User avatar
i_am_agriculture
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Kenny wrote:I started this today:

Image

Very good so far! Scientists discovered that Earth's sun was going to go Supernova in the 3000s so they sent out seed ships and one of the first ones landed on a mostly ocean planet and now one that is faster but from when the Earth was burned up caught up to the old one. There's a really Left Hand of Darkness vibe to it.

Super enjoyed this like everything I've read from him, he's definitely my favourite of the big three, tho i like Asimov and Heinlein a lot too.

Really interesting stuff, great description of a sort of utopia that still had a plot, interesting ideas on gender and sexuality tucked in here and there too
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
User avatar
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee
 
Posts: 22118
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Slave to Armok: God of Blood

Postby chowder julius » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

kenny i am really loving the magic mountain (i am only two chapters in) feeling v "bearded hans castorp" rn thank u for bullying me into it
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 15977
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby chowder julius » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm

i fell asleep imagining i was in the place he described in the first chapter. really feeling naturalist type stuff this time of year, good complement to hamsun's pan in that respect. perfect march reading
Image
User avatar
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer
 
Posts: 15977
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: banned in dc

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

i_am_agriculture wrote:Anybody have any recommendations from the Man Booker longlist? Olga Tokarczuk and Samanta Schweblin are pretty well-known in here, but the rest are new to me.

Jokha Alharthi, Celestial Bodies (Sandstone Press Ltd)
Can Xue, Love In The New Millennium (Yale University Press)
Annie Ernaux, The Years (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Hwang Sok-yong, At Dusk (Scribe, UK)
Mazen Maarouf, Jokes For The Gunmen (Granta, Portobello Books)
Hubert Mingarelli, Four Soldiers (Granta, Portobello Books)
Marion Poschmann, The Pine Islands (Profile Books, Serpent's Tail)
Samanta Schweblin, Mouthful Of Birds (Oneworld)
Sara Stridsberg, The Faculty Of Dreams (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Juan Gabriel Vásquez, The Shape Of The Ruins (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Tommy Wieringa, The Death Of Murat Idrissi(Scribe, UK)
Alia Trabucco Zeran, The Remainder (And Other Stories)


no recs (i did love the tokarzcuk i read, "house of day, house of night") but thanks for reposting this list!
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
User avatar
alaska
ride.
 
Posts: 12662
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:36 pm
Location: Manhattans Upper East Side

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

can xue is great
User avatar
mercenaries of slime
 
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Postby hadlex » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Just remembered NYRB added this to the cover of their edition of The Door

Image

after the Times Book Review awarded it a top-ten spot.

I *get* why publishers do this, but as far as NYRB Classics goes, I wonder what percentage of their overall sales occurs in bookstores? Completely anecdotal, but of the dozens of their books I own, I think maybe two of them were purchased at a brick-and-mortar store. (Additionally, whether a book won an award or received a rave review from a big-name publication rarely factors in whether I buy it.)


I remember reading an interview with some bookstore owners who said that NYRBs get stolen more than any other type of book.

I always get kind of excited when I see them out in the wild. Cool bookstores often have an NYRB section.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
User avatar
hadlex
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Postby adam sampler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Image
User avatar
adam sampler
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bruceagain, Chyet, crash.landing, criss elliott, deadbass, deep blue meanies, def from above, evan, hopped, iacus, KALM, kid8, lights, marble, Meeps, Melville, Merciel, Milquetoaster Strudels, oh! it's max!, pablito, Peptobysmal, rushedbehind, shirts optional, slime, Sobieski, tonybricker, trampoline, trouble, unsandpiper, walt whitman, warmjets, zach york