Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Ezekiel Cletus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Kenny wrote:I read that Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin earlier in the hear (I hope I inspired?!?!? :) ) and really really loved it. I was surprised at how smart he obviously was, and how honest he was (about what he wanted to be honest about, certain things he stays completely silent on like some of his relationships)

Thank you, Kenny. I didn't know that this book existed until I saw your post about it. My stepson has been getting into a lot the classic comedy films (Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd) and my wife and I got him the book. He hasn't started reading it yet, so I borrowed it from him. So far, it seems like a very enjoyable read. Chaplin had a very tough childhood and overcame a lot.

We also got Harpo Marx's Autobiography (Harpo Speaks) and I look forward to reading it soon too.
Ezekiel Cletus

Postby Chyet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

starting "The American Way of Death" after seeing it mentioned all morning and noticed it sitting on a bookshelf around the house(not my purchase) in the same morning.
broke/ad astra per alia porci/harken' up, cowards
Chyet

Postby blab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm

aghh i have audible credits that i didn't mean to pay for over the last couple months. i need to spend the credits before cancelling.

i can't figure out how to enjoy listening to an audiobook. feel like i'm constantly missing things. if there's a way i can gift these to you please let me know. otherwise, requesting lifehack on enjoying audiobook!!
blab

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm

chowder julius wrote:
guy forget wrote:I’ve only read Crabwalk but thought it was very cool and very bleak

it's funny that crab walking is a theme of his?? i am going to read more

but first i'm finally gonna read

there are a bunch of short stories in this edition but i think i'm just gonna read death in venice which is v short. i was browsing my shelf for other nobel winners to read this month since mudd tricked me into it and it looks like i'm about to be on a german kick too because i've got some herta muller on deck (i am counting her as romanian for the sake of my map)

finished this heh. not my favorite literary pedo but worth the read. I think i'm gonna do herta next before the magic mountain so I can get some little book momentum goin
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby barbara_h » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm

meeshpotato wrote:read fever dream last night from 11:30-1:30 after taking some melatonin. didn't realize what i was getting into/that it has to be read in one sitting, and was just planning on starting it. incredible experience. thanks to whomever recommended it.

such a great book.

this got me wondering, could you guys list novels from the past 10 years that you think would belong on the HPN canon list ? Been craving for more great contemporary stuff. (I would add Fever Dream obv :mrgreen: )
barbara_h

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 pm

barbara_h wrote:
meeshpotato wrote:read fever dream last night from 11:30-1:30 after taking some melatonin. didn't realize what i was getting into/that it has to be read in one sitting, and was just planning on starting it. incredible experience. thanks to whomever recommended it.

such a great book.

this got me wondering, could you guys list novels from the past 10 years that you think would belong on the HPN canon list ? Been craving for more great contemporary stuff. (I would add Fever Dream obv :mrgreen: )

Yeah I think Fever Dream would be there (and just a reminder from the last page, I'll post her new book for free to the first bidder but it's in Spanish)

Also The Argonauts, A Naked Singularity (if you take it from the major publication date), The Neapolitan Novels, some Karl Ove stuff.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby alaska » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 pm

oh my godddd i want to read the magic mountainnnnNNNN
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm

alaska wrote:oh my godddd i want to read the magic mountainnnnNNNN

I'm sort of nervous for big upping it so much now because it is a long book and I hope other people like it as much as I did.

And then if you folks like Magic Mountain also read Buddenbrooks because it's also killerrrr

Also I learned from the Bearded Hans Castorp thread that I must have got the hardback after reading it elsewhere and the copy I have has the letter translated, so that's the Everyman ed.

Ezekiel Cletus wrote:
Kenny wrote:I read that Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin earlier in the hear (I hope I inspired?!?!? :) ) and really really loved it. I was surprised at how smart he obviously was, and how honest he was (about what he wanted to be honest about, certain things he stays completely silent on like some of his relationships)

Thank you, Kenny. I didn't know that this book existed until I saw your post about it. My stepson has been getting into a lot the classic comedy films (Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd) and my wife and I got him the book. He hasn't started reading it yet, so I borrowed it from him. So far, it seems like a very enjoyable read. Chaplin had a very tough childhood and overcame a lot.

We also got Harpo Marx's Autobiography (Harpo Speaks) and I look forward to reading it soon too.

That is so awesome that your kid is getting into old movies like that!!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby broodstar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm

does anyone else obsess over getting the right, bestest translation/edition of a title possible
broodstar

Postby abs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 pm

edit - damn it didn't mean to delete candy/candide.
Now onto:
Last edited by abs on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby abs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:58 pm

that cover tho :oops: :ahuh:
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 am

This was fine, not really at all comparable to his other novels. Definitely takes itself far too seriously.
i_am_agriculture

Postby rushedbehind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:47 am

The cover of that Williams novel is so funny to me
rushedbehind

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 am

i_am_agriculture wrote:Image

This was fine, not really at all comparable to his other novels. Definitely takes itself far too seriously.

NYRB should be above "BY THE AUTHOR OF..." trade dress.

Does this have an introduction, or were they afraid the essayist would talk too much about how much Williams disliked this book?
reversemigraine

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 am

When NYRB published Augustus—well after Stoner became a big seller for them—they didn't include a "by the author..." tage, but they did add this:

which is as uncharacteristic as what they've done with Nothing but the Night.
Eyeball Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah, although I kinda think they'd do that with any National Book Award winner. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other National Book Award winners that they've reprinted.
reversemigraine

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

I think John Williams is a generic enough of a name that someone might need reminding on a casual look through at a bookshop

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am

reversemigraine wrote:Yeah, although I kinda think they'd do that with any National Book Award winner. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any other National Book Award winners that they've reprinted.

This is the only other one (for fiction; haven't checked for other categories)

Eyeball Kid

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

I was lazy and just reposted a pre-release cover from this thread, but the actual cover is worse:

There's no introduction, but there's an interview with his widow at the end that only briefly mentions this novel (the entire interview is posted on the Paris Review website).

Also, if anyone wants to get in early on John Williams backlash:

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-puppet-master-mcclay (heads up though, there's Nothing but the Night spoilers)
i_am_agriculture

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:02 pm

i'm reading IT. i've never read scary stephen king stuff before, just some short stories that weren't horror.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. i'm 300 pages in and nothing's been particularly scary, even the scary parts. it's well written and a fast read but i guess i'm having a case of classic material just not connecting for whatever reason. did this thing really need to be 1100 pages?
tawny frogmouth

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Absolutely no Steven King needs to be as long as it is, but IT has a great ending

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Just remembered NYRB added this to the cover of their edition of The Door

after the Times Book Review awarded it a top-ten spot.

I *get* why publishers do this, but as far as NYRB Classics goes, I wonder what percentage of their overall sales occurs in bookstores? Completely anecdotal, but of the dozens of their books I own, I think maybe two of them were purchased at a brick-and-mortar store. (Additionally, whether a book won an award or received a rave review from a big-name publication rarely factors in whether I buy it.)
Eyeball Kid

Postby i_am_agriculture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Anybody have any recommendations from the Man Booker longlist? Olga Tokarczuk and Samanta Schweblin are pretty well-known in here, but the rest are new to me.

Jokha Alharthi, Celestial Bodies (Sandstone Press Ltd)
Can Xue, Love In The New Millennium (Yale University Press)
Annie Ernaux, The Years (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Hwang Sok-yong, At Dusk (Scribe, UK)
Mazen Maarouf, Jokes For The Gunmen (Granta, Portobello Books)
Hubert Mingarelli, Four Soldiers (Granta, Portobello Books)
Marion Poschmann, The Pine Islands (Profile Books, Serpent's Tail)
Samanta Schweblin, Mouthful Of Birds (Oneworld)
Sara Stridsberg, The Faculty Of Dreams (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Juan Gabriel Vásquez, The Shape Of The Ruins (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Tommy Wieringa, The Death Of Murat Idrissi(Scribe, UK)
Alia Trabucco Zeran, The Remainder (And Other Stories)
i_am_agriculture

Postby Kenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Kenny wrote:I started this today:

Very good so far! Scientists discovered that Earth's sun was going to go Supernova in the 3000s so they sent out seed ships and one of the first ones landed on a mostly ocean planet and now one that is faster but from when the Earth was burned up caught up to the old one. There's a really Left Hand of Darkness vibe to it.

Super enjoyed this like everything I've read from him, he's definitely my favourite of the big three, tho i like Asimov and Heinlein a lot too.

Really interesting stuff, great description of a sort of utopia that still had a plot, interesting ideas on gender and sexuality tucked in here and there too

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

kenny i am really loving the magic mountain (i am only two chapters in) feeling v "bearded hans castorp" rn thank u for bullying me into it
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm

i fell asleep imagining i was in the place he described in the first chapter. really feeling naturalist type stuff this time of year, good complement to hamsun's pan in that respect. perfect march reading
chowder julius

Postby alaska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

i_am_agriculture wrote:Anybody have any recommendations from the Man Booker longlist? Olga Tokarczuk and Samanta Schweblin are pretty well-known in here, but the rest are new to me.

Jokha Alharthi, Celestial Bodies (Sandstone Press Ltd)
Can Xue, Love In The New Millennium (Yale University Press)
Annie Ernaux, The Years (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Hwang Sok-yong, At Dusk (Scribe, UK)
Mazen Maarouf, Jokes For The Gunmen (Granta, Portobello Books)
Hubert Mingarelli, Four Soldiers (Granta, Portobello Books)
Marion Poschmann, The Pine Islands (Profile Books, Serpent's Tail)
Samanta Schweblin, Mouthful Of Birds (Oneworld)
Sara Stridsberg, The Faculty Of Dreams (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Olga Tokarczuk, Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
Juan Gabriel Vásquez, The Shape Of The Ruins (Quercus, MacLehose Press)
Tommy Wieringa, The Death Of Murat Idrissi(Scribe, UK)
Alia Trabucco Zeran, The Remainder (And Other Stories)

no recs (i did love the tokarzcuk i read, "house of day, house of night") but thanks for reposting this list!
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

can xue is great
mercenaries of slime

Postby hadlex » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:Just remembered NYRB added this to the cover of their edition of The Door

after the Times Book Review awarded it a top-ten spot.

I *get* why publishers do this, but as far as NYRB Classics goes, I wonder what percentage of their overall sales occurs in bookstores? Completely anecdotal, but of the dozens of their books I own, I think maybe two of them were purchased at a brick-and-mortar store. (Additionally, whether a book won an award or received a rave review from a big-name publication rarely factors in whether I buy it.)

I remember reading an interview with some bookstore owners who said that NYRBs get stolen more than any other type of book.

I always get kind of excited when I see them out in the wild. Cool bookstores often have an NYRB section.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby adam sampler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

adam sampler

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....