Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby number none » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:56 am

If you want a good, scholarly version the Jean and Robert Hollander translation is excellent and has absurdly comprehensive notes to make sense of all the contemporary references

but I LOVE Ciaran Carson's radical reinterpretation of Inferno. It's not the one to go for if you're worried about exact fidelity to the text, but it's a hugely entertaining read

number none

Postby tawny frogmouth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am

ooh, that looks very cool. i like radical reinterpretations but i wonder if that's the first one i should read or if i should get a more classic feel first. i might flip a coin on those two options, but thanks!

tawny frogmouth

Postby Destroyevsky » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:42 am

alaska wrote:
fakename wrote:
Sobieski wrote:
shizaam wrote:oh man that cover

haha

holy shit

a "Memes as Philosophy Book Covers" thread could be a winner...

Destroyevsky

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:47 am

jfc that memephysics cover :lol:

Barthes Starr

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am

while we're going on about philosophy memes, here's something i made for a friend recently

Barthes Starr

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 am

tawny frogmouth wrote:i'm reading IT. i've never read scary stephen king stuff before, just some short stories that weren't horror.

i'm not sure how i feel about this. i'm 300 pages in and nothing's been particularly scary, even the scary parts. it's well written and a fast read but i guess i'm having a case of classic material just not connecting for whatever reason. did this thing really need to be 1100 pages?

800 pages in and still half-enjoying IT. i can't think of a character i've viscerally hated more than richie tozier. i'm rooting for pennywise to rip this fucking kid's head off

tawny frogmouth

Postby rushedbehind » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:11 am

jacket copy describes it as "tarkovskian" but i don't think there's a word for whatever this is. really strange sci-fi that does the dream/reality mobius strip thing really beautifully.

rushedbehind

Postby Kenny » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 am

Kenny wrote:I've had Children of Time on my bookshelf for aaaaages, I'm not sure why I haven't gotten around to reading it. Everybody says it's great!

I'm reading:

Which I've also had for a while, but I had that poem "I remember Aldestrop" randomly in my head for a while and then I saw this on the shelf and then it clicked that Aldestrop is by this guy and it's Spring so it's the perfect time to read it. It's very good but poetical writing so it's sort of slow going but very nice. He rides a bike from London to around Bristol in 1913

Finished this and it's hard to say whether I loved it... like I definitely enjoyed it but I think it gets bogged down sometimes with descriptions of small South English villages which are, let's be real, pretty much the same. Like lots of repetitions of "A group of cottages, with an inn named ___ a few workshops and a church" but then it does veer into really great stuff like him reading the names/poems and descriptions of graves in the churchyard and like ruminating about them or joking about them or going off on a tangent and these parts are really great. Then he'll do a chapter on 3 Wessex POets out of nowhere. It's really rambly and a fun read but probably only for the deranged Anglophile like me

Now I'm reading the third Barsetshire Chronicles book, Doctor Thorne!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby kid8 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 am

I've been finding that life for this author is harder than anyone imagined.
Oh, I'm a failure, because i haven't got a brain.

kid8
killer

Postby tolka » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Night porter wrote:Ftr I disagree with myself

tolka
ok

Postby sleepwalk » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:28 pm

the upland trout wrote:Image

negative dialectics? pssh no thanks just reg dialectics for me

sleepwalk

Postby oomphull » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 pm

i can't ever see this thread without thinking, "the board, duh" and feeling bad about not doing something more productive
hologram wrote:are you chuckling at all the giggle?

oomphull

Postby the upland trout » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 am

rushedbehind wrote:Image

jacket copy describes it as "tarkovskian" but i don't think there's a word for whatever this is. really strange sci-fi that does the dream/reality mobius strip thing really beautifully.

I need to read this. I've read Post-Exoticism in Ten Lessons, Lesson Eleven and Minor Angels and both were excellent.

the upland trout

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am

Cross-posting this because it's more of a textbook than a comic and I think some of you guys would probably enjoy it

ImageImage
Dougal Dixon – After Man: A Zoology of the Future
Perhaps not strictly a comic but it comes out reissued from Breakdown Press and it certainly is a beautiful thing to behold. It's my first exposure to Dixon, a Scottish palaeontologist who produced a few books dealing with speculative zoology and anthropology in the 80s and 90s alongside his bread and butter work of providing paintings for dinosaur textbooks. After Man is a very serious but totally charming work of zoology, rigorously imagining the planet earth several million years after the disappearance of mankind when the continents have collided again and the beasts have taken back the earth.

Because, essentially, it is that which it mimics, it has the most beautiful hand-crafted dusty old textbook quality that I still remember vividly from learning about volcanoes and dinosaurs for the first time. Even Breakdown's high end production can't disguise the mustiness and the slightly unhinged quality of the project. It's so thorough and dry in the way it plods through the climates of its various regions and how the animals have adapted weird horns or beaks to get at the necessary roots and tubers. The image above is the one they always show because it's probably the most exciting in the book – it's delightful how faithful Dixon is to his vision of evolution's likely path, and how more often than not he follows this path to images of drab little monkeys, carnivorous rodents and nondescript parrots. I love it, and I can imagine wanting to hand it down to my children one day.

HotFingersClub

Postby the upland trout » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 pm

That was the most important book of my childhood.

the upland trout

Postby abs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby super gas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

super gas

Postby Pris » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 am

Finished Céline's Fable for another time. Almost unreadable a lot of the time, but it features one of his better scenes near the end.

Now starting Michel Houelebecq - Serotonin

Pris

Postby tanaka » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:46 am

tanaka

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm

circe - madeline miller

lovitz

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:47 pm

i haven't read my book in four days someone help me

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Read your book chowder!
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:48 pm

wow that's a great idea!

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:51 pm

That Witch Wood book sounds really interesting, I'd like to know if it turns out good.

I have been having a terrible time getting reading time while my mom is here, but Doctor Thorne is so fun. I don't think I'll read the Palliser novels, at least straight away because I don't really care about politics but man Trollope is so good and I wonder if there are takes about him being an early Modern writer

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tawny frogmouth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:55 pm

abs wrote:Image

hellll yeahhhhh

i've read this three times and have been begging my bff to read it with me again so i can talk to someone about it

tawny frogmouth

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

object wrote:I feel so much shame when i see this thread.

shame is not a useful emotion!!!! it's okay. some people are readers and others aren't

chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:06 pm

No shame in not reading, I had a big lull period in my life and then I had a health scare + tinnitus that ruined my life for nearly a year plus I couldn't read and then last year i decided to read a shit ton to prove to myself I could control my feelings about the tinnitus and have just kept the momentum going. It can also be hard to read when you have the danged internet to check all the time, that's my biggest difficulty is not pausing every few pages and seeing if anything new happened on the internet

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby walt whitman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:25 pm

this has an outsized reputation for being the go-to history book on 1970s US working class struggle, the decline of unionism, and triumph of neoliberalism. it certainly has a wide scope, and the writing throughout is stellar. i also love cowie's organizational approach to make sense of such a big span of time, by offering these snapshots of different towns and regional voices, like one big montage of a country falling apart. but the book suffers because the working class become mouthpieces of his uniformly pessimistic thesis. it's not particularly fun or enlightening to read. i would have preferred a bit more anthropological detachment, which might allow for some surprises or insights. it's fine i guess
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby blab » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm

this was a good read for me. for many it might be too much of a like primer, but it helps me to reinforce good ideas.

am reading lucia berlin stories which i am enjoying and started this bookchin book at work heh

blab

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pm

recently downloaded

looking forward to getting v angry

mercenaries of slime

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....