Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby the upland trout » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 pm

That was the most important book of my childhood.
the upland trout

Postby abs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby super gas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

super gas

Postby Pris » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 am

Finished Céline's Fable for another time. Almost unreadable a lot of the time, but it features one of his better scenes near the end.

Now starting Michel Houelebecq - Serotonin

Pris

Postby tanaka » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:46 am

tanaka

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm

circe - madeline miller

lovitz
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:47 pm

i haven't read my book in four days someone help me
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Read your book chowder!
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:48 pm

wow that's a great idea!
chowder julius

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:51 pm

That Witch Wood book sounds really interesting, I'd like to know if it turns out good.

I have been having a terrible time getting reading time while my mom is here, but Doctor Thorne is so fun. I don't think I'll read the Palliser novels, at least straight away because I don't really care about politics but man Trollope is so good and I wonder if there are takes about him being an early Modern writer
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

If you own me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby object » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:54 pm

I feel so much shame when i see this thread.
object

Postby tawny frogmouth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:55 pm

abs wrote:Image

hellll yeahhhhh

i've read this three times and have been begging my bff to read it with me again so i can talk to someone about it
tawny frogmouth

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

object wrote:I feel so much shame when i see this thread.

shame is not a useful emotion!!!! it's okay. some people are readers and others aren't
chowder julius

Postby object » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 pm

i am a reader!
object

Postby object » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:58 pm

just not since january
object

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:06 pm

No shame in not reading, I had a big lull period in my life and then I had a health scare + tinnitus that ruined my life for nearly a year plus I couldn't read and then last year i decided to read a shit ton to prove to myself I could control my feelings about the tinnitus and have just kept the momentum going. It can also be hard to read when you have the danged internet to check all the time, that's my biggest difficulty is not pausing every few pages and seeing if anything new happened on the internet
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

If you own me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby walt whitman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:25 pm

this has an outsized reputation for being the go-to history book on 1970s US working class struggle, the decline of unionism, and triumph of neoliberalism. it certainly has a wide scope, and the writing throughout is stellar. i also love cowie's organizational approach to make sense of such a big span of time, by offering these snapshots of different towns and regional voices, like one big montage of a country falling apart. but the book suffers because the working class become mouthpieces of his uniformly pessimistic thesis. it's not particularly fun or enlightening to read. i would have preferred a bit more anthropological detachment, which might allow for some surprises or insights. it's fine i guess
walt whitman

Postby blab » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm

this was a good read for me. for many it might be too much of a like primer, but it helps me to reinforce good ideas.

am reading lucia berlin stories which i am enjoying and started this bookchin book at work heh

blab

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pm

recently downloaded

looking forward to getting v angry
mercenaries of slime

Postby guy forget » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 pm

i'm still working my way through the david blight Frederick Douglass biography. i started it months ago and still have so much left to get through. am also reading

which i loved at first but am growing increasingly sick of as it shows its age more and more. i just finished

this book is really really great and i highly recommend it, but it sometimes tends a bit toward hagiography. the stuff about the Mohawk steel workers building the NYC skyline was mindblowing, as were the descriptions of all the SF and brooklyn bars

and i'm continuing my read throughs of books i had only "grad school read" before and am now doing a thorough read on, i'm about to finish

and about to start

which i've found bits and pieces of very useful in the past and know i'm going to love
guy forget

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:Cross-posting this because it's more of a textbook than a comic and I think some of you guys would probably enjoy it

ImageImage
Dougal Dixon – After Man: A Zoology of the Future
Perhaps not strictly a comic but it comes out reissued from Breakdown Press and it certainly is a beautiful thing to behold. It's my first exposure to Dixon, a Scottish palaeontologist who produced a few books dealing with speculative zoology and anthropology in the 80s and 90s alongside his bread and butter work of providing paintings for dinosaur textbooks. After Man is a very serious but totally charming work of zoology, rigorously imagining the planet earth several million years after the disappearance of mankind when the continents have collided again and the beasts have taken back the earth.

Because, essentially, it is that which it mimics, it has the most beautiful hand-crafted dusty old textbook quality that I still remember vividly from learning about volcanoes and dinosaurs for the first time. Even Breakdown's high end production can't disguise the mustiness and the slightly unhinged quality of the project. It's so thorough and dry in the way it plods through the climates of its various regions and how the animals have adapted weird horns or beaks to get at the necessary roots and tubers. The image above is the one they always show because it's probably the most exciting in the book – it's delightful how faithful Dixon is to his vision of evolution's likely path, and how more often than not he follows this path to images of drab little monkeys, carnivorous rodents and nondescript parrots. I love it, and I can imagine wanting to hand it down to my children one day.

This looks rad. Are there more books like this and codex seraphinianus? I need them all

Seamus

Postby Seamus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:58 pm

Also, I have tickets to see a stage production of Invisible Cities (!!!!) No, I have no idea how it will work

Seamus

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 pm

i can see it making a really wild ass modern production. would be nice if they incorporated some of the text somehow--it's so beautiful. u must tell us how it is
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 pm

i picked this up last fall after eyeing it at the used bookstore for awhile. it's a fuckin tome but i thought it would be a nice thing to read to a kid if i ever have one of those

chowder julius

Postby vivian darko » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 pm

the collected essays of elizabeth hardwick
shrewd, gracefully written essays on american literature/mid20th century culture--hardwick is amazing but you do want to ask the editor whether they could've as accurately communicated her role in letters with, say, one less essay on henry james.

leanne howe - savage conversations
play about mary todd lincoln's time in a sanitarium where she hallucinated that an indian attacked her every night, thirteen years after lincoln's mass execution of dakota sioux. i knew about the mass execution but nothing about the commitment/delusion, which is really fascinating.
vivian darko

Postby chowder julius » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 pm

i read hardwick's New York stories and couldn't get into it but did appreciate her "kentuckian in the big city" thing
chowder julius

Postby adam sampler » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 am

adam sampler

Postby Slamwich Artist » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am

Just read "Expensive Trips Nowhere" and "Aral," inspired by my recent viewing of The Loneliest Planet. I was a bit disappointed--some good lines and funny moments, and the themes are interesting on an abstract level, but the characters had a cartoonish feel to them, and more broadly the knowing misanthropy was a bit over the top. Interesting that both were apparently turned into movies by great directors? "Aral" by Herzog in 2016.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:55 am

IT was pretty disappointing. there's probably a really great 400-500 page novel its bloated 1150-page carcass, but toward the end i was just skimming. i don't really get the appeal of king - i guess he's a good ideas man, but the execution was so exhausting that even a cool climax like bill and richie out in the deadlights feels like "that's it?"

started reading:

and just got this in the mail:

tawny frogmouth

Postby j-ol » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:32 pm

my first PKD
j-ol

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....