Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:06 am

Can anyone ITT (maybe the booksellers) help me remember the name/author of a book? It's driving me crazy

It was an illustrated guide to a peaceful fantasy world mainly populated by these little flesh-coloured goblin dudes with small horns. The book described their customs, society, cuisine etc. Lots of maps, colour illustrations throughout, very chill vibe. There was also a secret language running through a lot of the pictures (runes on stone walls and so forth) that I guess you could decode if you wanted to find out secrets. It was a big oversized hardback and I feel like it was the first book I ever owned that came with a ribbon bookmark

Help me HPN I'm begging you
HotFingersClub

Postby Pris » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 am

Trouble for Trumpets by Peter Cross? It's in that zone where you could stare at a page and discover hidden words and faces everywhere. Haven't been able to track down a copy since it's OOP.

https://petercrossart.com/books/trumpet ... r-trumpets
Pris

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

This isn't what you're talking about, but it's great and very similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Book_of_Gnomes

David the Gnome was based on it!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

If you own me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am

do you recall if it was a book written for children? was it a picture book or art book primarily or was there some kind of narrative? i assume you're not american--can you recall if the book was published in the US or elsewhere (based on standardized spellings etc). do you know how the book came into your life?
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 am

Might be worth having a look at something like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/similar/1494392-de-oproep-der-kabouters

I've found random books that I've been trying to find for ages by finding something that was similar and then looking for "books similar to"

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gauchebag » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 am

j-ol wrote:Image

my first PKD

i gotta reread this one it's incredible and was my first PKD too. i'd go as far as to say it's my favorite novel.
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby tawny frogmouth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:06 am

yeah ubik'd a good one
tawny frogmouth

Postby tawny frogmouth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:08 am

reminds me that i got the exegesis a few years ago and just keep it on my shelf as a thing to look at sometimes. i've flipped through it and find it insane that anyone could think it was possible to edit it into a book
tawny frogmouth

Postby tawny frogmouth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:10 am

i think maybe the only difference between scientology and whatever dick was writing about in the exegesis is probably a combination of better marketing and greed on LRH's part
tawny frogmouth

Postby crash.landing » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:15 am

UBIK is good, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep blows all other PKD out of the water, imo.
crash.landing

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:21 am

I'm never going to read the Exegesis; the opening section of VALIS was batty enough
Eyeball Kid

Postby hadlex » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am

PKD favorites for me are "Time out of Joint" and "Flow My Tears..."

Finished Simenon's "The Murderer" (one of my favorites of his! Very Vertigo-esque).

Now dipping in and out of...

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:54 am

Pris wrote:Trouble for Trumpets by Peter Cross? It's in that zone where you could stare at a page and discover hidden words and faces everywhere. Haven't been able to track down a copy since it's OOP.

https://petercrossart.com/books/trumpet ... r-trumpets

This is not the one I'm thinking of but I really want to read it. My book was more trad fantasy with lots of goblin dudes in robes living in turrets and working on scrolls

chowder julius wrote:do you recall if it was a book written for children? was it a picture book or art book primarily or was there some kind of narrative? i assume you're not american--can you recall if the book was published in the US or elsewhere (based on standardized spellings etc). do you know how the book came into your life?

It was probably for a YA sort of audience. Similar to The Hobbit I guess. There was a lot of text but no narrative - the setup was more like a Dorling-Kindersley guidebook with a similar text/image ratio. I'm afraid I can't remember if it originated in the US or UK or where I picked it up.

Kenny wrote:Might be worth having a look at something like this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/similar/1494392-de-oproep-der-kabouters

I've found random books that I've been trying to find for ages by finding something that was similar and then looking for "books similar to"

This is absolutely the right ballpark, thanks Ken. I really thought it was going to be on this list

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I'm going to keep searching
HotFingersClub

Postby the upland trout » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 pm

What Kobo Abe is worth reading beyond Woman in the Dunes?

Reading:

the upland trout

Postby walt whitman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 pm

crash.landing wrote:UBIK is good, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep blows all other PKD out of the water, imo.

electric sheep, three stigmata, a scanner darkly, ubik are all equal, and the dick essentials (for me)

for some reason i couldn't get into man in the high castle
walt whitman

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:56 pm

the upland trout wrote:What Kobo Abe is worth reading beyond Woman in the Dunes?

the box man, the face of another
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:57 pm

box man is extremely a vibe but i think i liked the face of another better in hindsight. woman in the dunes is my least favorite of the three which are the only abe i've read but i quite like him! apparently andrea dworkin had some things to say about abe and i'm v curious to see what that's about
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

i posted this in the thread for staying out of the potus thread, from the box man

The globe’s capable of changing shape the minute you take your eyes off it for even a second. I took seven different newspapers; I set up in my room two television sets and three radios; when I went out I never let a portable radio out of my hand, and when I went to sleep I left the earphones plugged in. I got different news reports on different stations at the same time, and there could be special news broadcasts at any moment. Timid animals keep too close a watch around them, and gradually like the giraffe their necks stretch or like the monkey they become incapable of coming down out of the trees. Don’t laugh. For the one afflicted it’s serious. He spends the greater part of the day just reading and listening to news. Angry with the weakness of his own will, still with aching heart, he is unable to separate himself from the radio or television. Of course, I was very much aware that no matter how much I went rooting around for news I wouldn’t necessarily come closer to the truth. I realized that, but I couldn’t stop. Perhaps I needed the news form, which is summarized in clichés, not truth or experience. In short, I was thoroughly addicted to news.

One day, however, I suddenly recovered. A trivial event, served as an antidote, so really trivial that I myself inclined my head in disbelief. It was—where was it indeed?—oh, yes, at one corner of the wide sidewalk between the subway station and the bank. During the day few people pass that way. A middle-aged fellow who at first glance seemed to be a white-collar worker was walking in the most ordinary way right in front of me. Suddenly all the strength left his legs, and he moved as if to sit down, but fell on his side, and lay motionless. I had the feeling he was playing a game of big bad wolf with a child and had been shot. A young fellow with the air of a student, who was passing by, looked at the fallen man amused. “My God, he’s dead!” he said. I remember that he looked up at me shocked with a wan smile on his lips. I paid no attention, but he reluctantly went to use the telephone at a tobacconist’s two or three stores farther on. Being a professional photographer—well, I was, merely to the extent of getting a job once or twice a month making commercial samples of insert advertisements—I at once set up my camera and tried focusing it from all sorts of angles. In the end I changed my mind and did not take a picture, but that was not because I was especially grieving over the corpse. It was because I realized at once that it would absolutely never become news.

Dying is, of course, a kind of transformation. First of all, the skin suddenly pales. Then the nose thins, and the jaw withers and gets smaller. The half-open mouth resembles the edge of a tangerine skin cut open with a knife, and the red artificial teeth of the lower jaw begin to jut out from the opening. Further, even the clothes that are being worn change. What appeared to be of very high quality turns before one’s eyes into cheap goods, showy but worthless. Of course, such things are not news. But it would seem that for the dead man in question whether it’s news or not has nothing to do with him. Supposing one is the tenth victim, that had fallen into the hands of a much-wanted, fiendish killer, I don’t suppose he would devise a particularly different way of dying. The dead person has changed himself, but the outside world has changed too, and things cannot change any more than they have. It’s such a great change that no news, however big, can match it.

No sooner had I realized this than my thinking about news suddenly changed completely. How shall I say …? Slogans won’t do the trick: “You too can stop news-watching.” But I think you understand … somehow … why everybody wants news the way they do. Are they preparing for times of emergency by knowing in advance the changes taking place in the world, I wonder? I used to think so. But that was a big lie. People listen to news only to feel reassured. Because however great the news of catastrophe they hear, those listening are still perfectly alive. The really big news is the ultimate news announcing the end of the world, I suppose. Of course, everybody wants to hear that. For then one does not need to abandon the world alone. When I think about it, I feel the reason that I was addicted was my eagerness not to miss this ultimate broadcast. But as long as the news goes on, it will never get to the end. Thus news constitutes the announcement that it is still not the end of the world. The following trifling clichés are merely abridgments. Last night the greatest bombings of North Vietnam this year were carried out by B52s, but somehow you are still alive. Gas lines under construction ignited and eight persons received serious and light wounds, but you are alive and safe. Record rate of rising prices, yet you continue to live. Extinction of marine life in bays by waste products from factories, but somehow you survive everything.

so fucking gooooooood
chowder julius

Postby dvr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:09 pm

first Murakami fiction i've read. about halfway through. like it a lot.

read Underground and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running already. (preferred Underground)
dvr

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:Can anyone ITT (maybe the booksellers) help me remember the name/author of a book? It's driving me crazy

It was an illustrated guide to a peaceful fantasy world mainly populated by these little flesh-coloured goblin dudes with small horns. The book described their customs, society, cuisine etc. Lots of maps, colour illustrations throughout, very chill vibe. There was also a secret language running through a lot of the pictures (runes on stone walls and so forth) that I guess you could decode if you wanted to find out secrets. It was a big oversized hardback and I feel like it was the first book I ever owned that came with a ribbon bookmark

Help me HPN I'm begging you

way out on a limb here, but it wasn't The Secret World of Og, was it?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby theta » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:04 pm

ubik is iconic for sure, but i think my favorite pkd books are (pretty unsurprisingly) do androids dream of electric sheep and flow my tears, the policeman said, with an honorable shoutout to the crack in space because of the still-trenchant political commentary and because i love the concept of the golden doors of bliss orbital brothel. actually i feel like spinrad ripped off that book a lot when he wrote bug jack barron. his stories are obviously fantastic also. although i have read 21 (!) of his novels, i haven't read palmer eldritch yet. i want to read them all and the exegesis. reading his books is like inhabiting a parallel universe.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 pm

just finished up Image

starting Image
shizaam

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:35 pm

chowder julius wrote:i posted this in the thread for staying out of the potus thread, from the box man

The globe’s capable of changing shape the minute you take your eyes off it for even a second. I took seven different newspapers; I set up in my room two television sets and three radios; when I went out I never let a portable radio out of my hand, and when I went to sleep I left the earphones plugged in. I got different news reports on different stations at the same time, and there could be special news broadcasts at any moment. Timid animals keep too close a watch around them, and gradually like the giraffe their necks stretch or like the monkey they become incapable of coming down out of the trees. Don’t laugh. For the one afflicted it’s serious. He spends the greater part of the day just reading and listening to news. Angry with the weakness of his own will, still with aching heart, he is unable to separate himself from the radio or television. Of course, I was very much aware that no matter how much I went rooting around for news I wouldn’t necessarily come closer to the truth. I realized that, but I couldn’t stop. Perhaps I needed the news form, which is summarized in clichés, not truth or experience. In short, I was thoroughly addicted to news.

One day, however, I suddenly recovered. A trivial event, served as an antidote, so really trivial that I myself inclined my head in disbelief. It was—where was it indeed?—oh, yes, at one corner of the wide sidewalk between the subway station and the bank. During the day few people pass that way. A middle-aged fellow who at first glance seemed to be a white-collar worker was walking in the most ordinary way right in front of me. Suddenly all the strength left his legs, and he moved as if to sit down, but fell on his side, and lay motionless. I had the feeling he was playing a game of big bad wolf with a child and had been shot. A young fellow with the air of a student, who was passing by, looked at the fallen man amused. “My God, he’s dead!” he said. I remember that he looked up at me shocked with a wan smile on his lips. I paid no attention, but he reluctantly went to use the telephone at a tobacconist’s two or three stores farther on. Being a professional photographer—well, I was, merely to the extent of getting a job once or twice a month making commercial samples of insert advertisements—I at once set up my camera and tried focusing it from all sorts of angles. In the end I changed my mind and did not take a picture, but that was not because I was especially grieving over the corpse. It was because I realized at once that it would absolutely never become news.

Dying is, of course, a kind of transformation. First of all, the skin suddenly pales. Then the nose thins, and the jaw withers and gets smaller. The half-open mouth resembles the edge of a tangerine skin cut open with a knife, and the red artificial teeth of the lower jaw begin to jut out from the opening. Further, even the clothes that are being worn change. What appeared to be of very high quality turns before one’s eyes into cheap goods, showy but worthless. Of course, such things are not news. But it would seem that for the dead man in question whether it’s news or not has nothing to do with him. Supposing one is the tenth victim, that had fallen into the hands of a much-wanted, fiendish killer, I don’t suppose he would devise a particularly different way of dying. The dead person has changed himself, but the outside world has changed too, and things cannot change any more than they have. It’s such a great change that no news, however big, can match it.

No sooner had I realized this than my thinking about news suddenly changed completely. How shall I say …? Slogans won’t do the trick: “You too can stop news-watching.” But I think you understand … somehow … why everybody wants news the way they do. Are they preparing for times of emergency by knowing in advance the changes taking place in the world, I wonder? I used to think so. But that was a big lie. People listen to news only to feel reassured. Because however great the news of catastrophe they hear, those listening are still perfectly alive. The really big news is the ultimate news announcing the end of the world, I suppose. Of course, everybody wants to hear that. For then one does not need to abandon the world alone. When I think about it, I feel the reason that I was addicted was my eagerness not to miss this ultimate broadcast. But as long as the news goes on, it will never get to the end. Thus news constitutes the announcement that it is still not the end of the world. The following trifling clichés are merely abridgments. Last night the greatest bombings of North Vietnam this year were carried out by B52s, but somehow you are still alive. Gas lines under construction ignited and eight persons received serious and light wounds, but you are alive and safe. Record rate of rising prices, yet you continue to live. Extinction of marine life in bays by waste products from factories, but somehow you survive everything.

so fucking gooooooood

oh huh, i gotta read this. had never heard of it.
shizaam

Postby walt whitman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm

shizaam wrote:starting Image

i sorta wished this was an article versus a full blown book. wasn't sold on his approach (relating everything back to burke and the conservative pioneers). but liked it. curious what u think
walt whitman

Postby shizaam » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:24 pm

walt whitman wrote:
shizaam wrote:starting Image

i sorta wished this was an article versus a full blown book. wasn't sold on his approach (relating everything back to burke and the conservative pioneers). but liked it. curious what u think

Yeah, I've only ever read his articles / blog (which are great), so I'm curious how he is at length.
shizaam

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Now I need to know what book HotFingersClub is looking for

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby the upland trout » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:06 pm

chowder julius wrote:i posted this in the thread for staying out of the potus thread, from the box man

so fucking gooooooood

This is good. I think I'll pick up both The Box Man and The Face of Another... as well as Secret Rendezvous because the description sounds cool.
the upland trout

Postby the upland trout » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Kenny wrote:Now I need to know what book HotFingersClub is looking for

Yeah, I am very curious too.

Also Trouble for Trumpets is very very good.
the upland trout

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:57 pm

I just finished American Pastoral and now I'm kind of buzzing for another Roth. What would the good patrons of this thread recommend beyond this list of books I've already read

Goodbye Columbus
Portnoy's Complaint
The Facts
Sabbath's Theatre
The Plot Against America
Everyman
Indignation
Last edited by Sports Fan of the Year on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Sabbath's Theater!
Eyeball Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....