Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby trigross » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 pm

trying to get back into the swing of reading by going for some short story collections after only reading half of a bunch of novels.

can't believe i've never read butler before. amazing...

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 am

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
HotFingersClub wrote:Image
Alice Jolly – Mary Ann Sate, Imbecile
This is unbelievably good. Absolutely criminal that it got so little attention upon release – I think there's a good chance it'll be a future classic if people would actually read it. If you like Riddley Walker or The Wake, or you want to read more exceptional writing by women, you owe it to yourself to check this out. It's a bit of a tome but takes about half as long to read as a standard 600 pager, which is always welcome.

I started this last night and am already a hundred pages in, it's really really good.

Man this was so so so so good. I checked it out from the library but I'm going to buy a copy. I hope a groundswell happens for this book, otherwise yeah it'll be a great find for some future publisher to get a Stoner-like revival from. This is a stone cold classic

Fuck yeah
HotFingersClub

Postby adam sampler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am

Upland, what's a good (easy) place to start with Stuart Hall?
adam sampler

Postby blab » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 am

blab

Postby trigross » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 am

adam sampler wrote:Upland, what's a good (easy) place to start with Stuart Hall?

I've only read Cultural Studies 1983 but it was relatively easy as it's transcribed lectures and he has a pretty easy going lecturing style. which is good for me because the more years i go without reading theory the harder it is for me
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am

i'm so excited for you, blab - i hope you like it!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm

blab wrote:Image

that recent jacobin piece piqued my interest in this. any good?
walt whitman

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

i didn't read the jacobin piece, but i really enjoyed it!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby blab » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 pm

yess i'm enjoying it. i had time to read about half of it last night and was totally engrossed.

i don't know if this is a great comparison...i'm responding to this similarly like to the show high maintenance. it's relatable and entertaining yet manages to stay genuine and, in the book's case, heart-rending. hope that makes sense somehow. it's worth checking out from what i've read so far. i haven't seen the jacobin piece, gunna look that up
blab

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm

here it is:
The Post-Recession Literature We Needed
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/05/sall ... mal-people
incoherent grunting

Postby shizaam » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:52 am

adrian tchaikovsky - children of ruin
shizaam

Postby the upland trout » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:04 pm

crash.landing wrote:
the upland trout wrote:
Some proper reading right here. Is this reading for school?

Nope, just for myself and maybe my current research project if I ever get around to writing it.

adam sampler wrote:Upland, what's a good (easy) place to start with Stuart Hall?

"The Great Moving Right Show," collected in Selected Political Writings, is apparently a classic and is really good, so I'd start there. But I think all of the essays in the collection are excellent. His writings on the decline of Labor and the rise of Thatcherism are really usefully for understanding the present state of shit.

I've only read the above book and a handful of his other essays, but everything I have read so far is not only accessible but also pleasurable. I honestly can't get over how good he is and I'm both mad that it took me so long to get around to seriously reading him and happy because I really needed something like this to dig into.

I'd also highly recommend one of Hall's students: Paul Gilroy. I think people got kinda pissed at him for his book "Against Race" (which I haven't read), but The Black Atlantic and Postcolonial Melancholia are both excellent.
Last edited by the upland trout on Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the upland trout

Postby the upland trout » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm

chimp wrote:Hey upland trout I made a post about semiosis in the SF thread, interested to see what you think of the book.

Cool. I'll check out your post and reply here with my own thoughts when I finish the book.
the upland trout

Postby number none » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I like reading Stephen King when I go camping. After Skeleton Crew, what's generally regarded as his best anthology - Night Shift?

yup, plus Different Seasons and The Bachman Books if they count
number none

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm also enjoying Normal People, though it's nothing like what I expected after reading various interviews*. Looking forward to reading more from her, the best is obviously still to come.

*please don't ask me to explain this statement. The best I can come up with is 'I thought the dialogue would be full of hyper academic references', but I'm not even sure if I actually did think that.
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby number none » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm

I mean Rooney's characters are all on the absurdly literate side
number none

Postby abs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 pm

this was cool. enjoying this series, though the translation leaves a weird taste in the mouth. wish my french was good enough to tackle this in its original form.

excited for book three! anyone else reading this?
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby i_am_agriculture » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:15 am

I read the first one and I liked it enough to eventually read the whole series. I’m on the waitlist for the second one at the library, so hopefully I’ll get to it soon!
i_am_agriculture

Postby deep blue meanies » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:09 am

huge rec for insurrecto by gina apostol. gave me a lot of bolaño vibes.

going to start that rooney book now.
deep blue meanies

Postby mudd » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am

Insurrecto was pretty good but I didn’t get a whiff of bolano.

m
mudd

Postby Dedalus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:32 am

Finally finished The Recognitions and I think I'm too dumb for it. I tried a "if you don't know what's going on just plow through it" approach and it probably hurt more than it helped. I want to make a bootleg edition where I just add "Wyatt said" after any time Wyatt is talking to make it more accessible for the masses.
Dedalus

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm

finished Flow my Tears... and NOW I'm reading this thing;

incoherent grunting

Postby theta » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 pm

finished

now reading

hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby adam sampler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 pm

adam sampler

Postby Riverchrist » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Aside from the part where a rancher girl moves into town and they trick her into wearing dresses to "be a real girl" I enjoyed re-reading this. Extreme nostalgia bomb.

I had a yen to re-read Vile Bodies and couldn't find it, settled for this which I mostly didn't remember because there aren't many classic bits in this one.
Riverchrist

Postby Seamus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I read Normal People on holiday a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was okay, but it felt like it had completely run out of steam by half way through imo. Forgettable.

Now I'm reading:

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:55 pm

if you thought Normal People ran out of steam i can't wait for your review of Barbarian Days
incoherent grunting

Postby Seamus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:58 pm

haha, yeah I am already a little concerned about how long it is
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Barthes Starr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:21 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:finished Flow my Tears... and NOW I'm reading this thing;

it's so good
Barthes Starr

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:07 am

is that a novel or non fiction?
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....