Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mudd » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 am

Insurrecto was pretty good but I didn’t get a whiff of bolano.

m
mudd

Postby Dedalus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:32 am

Finally finished The Recognitions and I think I'm too dumb for it. I tried a "if you don't know what's going on just plow through it" approach and it probably hurt more than it helped. I want to make a bootleg edition where I just add "Wyatt said" after any time Wyatt is talking to make it more accessible for the masses.

Dedalus

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:09 pm

finished Flow my Tears... and NOW I'm reading this thing;

"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby theta » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 pm

finished

now reading

hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby adam sampler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 pm

adam sampler

Postby Riverchrist » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Aside from the part where a rancher girl moves into town and they trick her into wearing dresses to "be a real girl" I enjoyed re-reading this. Extreme nostalgia bomb.

I had a yen to re-read Vile Bodies and couldn't find it, settled for this which I mostly didn't remember because there aren't many classic bits in this one.

Riverchrist

Postby Seamus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I read Normal People on holiday a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was okay, but it felt like it had completely run out of steam by half way through imo. Forgettable.

Now I'm reading:

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:55 pm

if you thought Normal People ran out of steam i can't wait for your review of Barbarian Days
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Seamus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:58 pm

haha, yeah I am already a little concerned about how long it is
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Barthes Starr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:21 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:finished Flow my Tears... and NOW I'm reading this thing;

it's so good

Barthes Starr

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:07 am

is that a novel or non fiction?
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby shacky » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:25 am

shacky

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 am

Kenny wrote:is that a novel or non fiction?

Non-Fic

incoherent grunting

Postby shizaam » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:28 am

just started The Uninhabitable Earth

shizaam

Postby Marza » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 am

I'm usually a bit embarrassed posting in here because everyone else's books seem so rarefied, but I just finished:

And really loved it. It was thrilling reading someone challenge the sacredness of 'hard work makes you a good person'. A lot of his deconstruction as to why this phenomenon is occurring was quite compelling, too.

I also started a new thing where I was actively taking notes and writing down quotes each chapter. It was a little tiring at times, especially because I can't type very quickly on my phone, but I think it made me engage with the content a lot more. I think I'll retain the ideas of the book a lot better, and even if I don't, I'll now have notes to check. Gonna keep doing this for fiction and non-fiction.

Marza

Postby Getbetter » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:18 am

I'm about halfway through the We Got the Neutron Bomb and it's a good read. Yet part of me is starting to feel like some of the punk stuff is stupid. Like i'm not a huge fan of the Runaways yet in the book it talk about how they paved a way for other bands. The Quick are a great band learn from the book so far.

Getbetter

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:08 pm

mercenaries of slime

Postby ripersnifle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:35 pm

finally starting up again. reading a bunch of stuff ive had piled up over the last few months!
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby i_am_agriculture » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Dra— sounds interesting. I might check it out.

i_am_agriculture

Postby chimp » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm

Recently finished Robert Peston's WTF? which is more or less an account of Brexit in the context of recent British political and economic history from a liberal-left perspective. He describes the ways in which London is really a separate society to the rest of the country, the development of austerity as a political idea and economic doctrine, skyrocketing inequality, the difference between Englishness and Britishness and the ignorance of the political and media class to the perspective of much of the country - particularly on the matters of economic growth and immigration. There are a few sideswipes at both Labour an be the Tories. He finishes up with a few Keynesian, worker-engagement type proposals to paint over the rot. Quite standard stuff. What renders this book a little unsatisfying for me is the absence of class analysis and the role of global capital. It's very safe, don't-be-extreme type stuff. Will likely not bring much new to most readers here

chimp

Postby abs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Had to add another bookcase to the house today. Immediately filled with the spillage from various rooms/other bookcases. Shit is out of control.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby Mr Spaceship » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:39 pm

goal is to read more books this summer

Mr Spaceship

Postby shacky » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 am

abs wrote:Had to add another bookcase to the house today. Immediately filled with the spillage from various rooms/other bookcases. Shit is out of control.

have you posted pix? luvvv seeing boarder's collexxx

shacky

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:26 am

I'm reading The Small House at Allington by Trollope (5th in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series) and it's soooooo good.

The Warden was a fun page turner and Barchester Towers was realllllly good, but then Doctor Thorne was sort of "good but forgettable" and while Framley Parsonage was better I was a little worried that it was just gonna be Barchester Towers that was Great but man this one is good.

i wonder if I should read the Palliser novels... it's a lot of Trollope

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby abs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 am

shacky wrote:
abs wrote:Had to add another bookcase to the house today. Immediately filled with the spillage from various rooms/other bookcases. Shit is out of control.

have you posted pix? luvvv seeing boarder's collexxx

will do at some point!

currently:

☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby galactagogue » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am

oh have not seem that edition but i love mishima
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby abs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 am

it's barely 70 pages, slim little novella. def enjoyable.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am

Inspired by ripersnifle's The End of the Myth and Gonz0's comment in the POTUS thread about rural whites who have encountered <10 Hispanic people in their entire lives but hate "illegals" and want a wall: are there any Perlstein-y / Kevin Kruse-ish kinda books out there about the ways in which modern immigration (late '80s / early '90s to present, I guess?) was pushed as a wedge issue?

reversemigraine

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 am

Kenny wrote:I'm reading The Small House at Allington by Trollope (5th in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series) and it's soooooo good.

The Warden was a fun page turner and Barchester Towers was realllllly good, but then Doctor Thorne was sort of "good but forgettable" and while Framley Parsonage was better I was a little worried that it was just gonna be Barchester Towers that was Great but man this one is good.

i wonder if I should read the Palliser novels... it's a lot of Trollope

Finished this, really fun book, if a slightly trailing at the ending. Definitely makes me want to read the last one soon. Loved it.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mystery meat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

vibing on your Trollope reads Kenny, highly recommend Orley Farm i back-to-backed it with Middlemarch last year and it was aces

mystery meat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....