Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shizaam » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:54 pm

CelticFC#1 wrote:Image

This was so good.

i should start this. been sitting on my bookshelf for a while.

just started Image

shizaam

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:08 am

Cool, I just started Say Nothing this afternoon :)

I have $8 to kill on a gift card at a book shop, should I get Neuromancer, The Left Hand of Darkness, or put the $8 toward something else full price??
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby speakers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:00 pm

speakers wrote:
deadbass wrote:
speakers wrote:has anyone read Circe?

I almost pulled the trigger yesterday

I did! It was really good - scratches my nerdy mythology-loving itch while also reinterpreting those myths in an enjoyably modern way.

thanks!

picked it up, really enjoying it so far

I set aside the sisters brothers, which im less than 100 pages into but not sure if I’ll finish, anyone read it?

speakers

Postby alaska » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm

guy forget wrote:"mandatory snappy dialogue syndrome" is a useful phrase, both for Saga and in culture generally

yeah lol there's a particular kind of almost self-undercutting Banter that drives me craaazy
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Postby scrumptown » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm

scrumptown

Postby mudd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:32 pm

i did not like sea monsters much at all.

m
mudd

Postby lefthandshake » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I have $8 to kill on a gift card at a book shop, should I get Neuromancer, The Left Hand of Darkness, or put the $8 toward something else full price??

they're both essential

speakers wrote:I set aside the sisters brothers, which im less than 100 pages into but not sure if I’ll finish, anyone read it?

thought this got stupider and stupider and i wish i hadn't finished it

lefthandshake

Postby blckchrry » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 pm

go ask alice
no one told me any trigger warnings but i enjoy reading it because it keeps my attention span on it
Image Image Image

blckchrry

Postby speakers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:01 pm

alaska wrote:
guy forget wrote:"mandatory snappy dialogue syndrome" is a useful phrase, both for Saga and in culture generally

yeah lol there's a particular kind of almost self-undercutting Banter that drives me craaazy

can cite any specific examples of this?

speakers

Postby speakers » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm

lefthandshake wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:I have $8 to kill on a gift card at a book shop, should I get Neuromancer, The Left Hand of Darkness, or put the $8 toward something else full price??

they're both essential

speakers wrote:I set aside the sisters brothers, which im less than 100 pages into but not sure if I’ll finish, anyone read it?

thought this got stupider and stupider and i wish i hadn't finished it

it’s like cormac mcarthy but optioned by Lifetime in the 90s

speakers

Postby abs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 am

couldn't sleep last night so blasted through 100 pages of this -- really fun reading and the most recent season ended too quickly. looking forward to getting through these.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 am

lefthandshake wrote:mancubz, i dislike a lot of what i try to read, too. i'll end up abandoning half a dozen books in a row and wonder if anhedonia has set in permanently. but then i'll finally find something i like, which reaffirms that the problem is ALWAYS the books and NEVER me

Been thinking about this post a lot recently as I read a series of books which seemed fine but didn’t connect with me. I don’t think I agree though – I think the problem is often me. Usually I’m not paying enough attention to books which would reward a closer reading.

Agustin Fernandez Mallo – Nocilla Dream
I liked the “arborescent” format of this novel but it wasn’t sharp enough. Couple of really embarrassing Men Writing Women sections which you don’t expect from this imprint

Steve Erickson – Shadowbahn
Only my second Erickson after a long break. Not in the same league as Tours of the Black Clock (or my memory of it). I can’t really think of a writer who’s written a novel about music and made it work.

Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa – The Leopard
This was the best thing I read in the last month or so. A beautiful old tapestry of a prince slowly ageing and vanishing

Marianne Fritz – The Weight of Things
It didn’t quite come together for me.

Now:
Richard Powers – The Overstory
100 pages in and I’m enjoying the stories moderately, but finding the writing a little toothless

HotFingersClub

Postby scrumptown » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 pm

mudd wrote:i did not like sea monsters much at all.

m

I'm not quite done yet but its setting and narrative momentum remind me a little of bolaño, though the protagonist is perhaps a bit too precociously disenchanted, which feels out of joint with the whimsy.

scrumptown

Postby cooly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:08 pm

read this on saturday. it was very good, though it's not nearly as good as an elemental thing (which is one of my favorite books.) probably about on par with karmic traces.

it's one of those books where when you're reading it you kinda have to go "god dammit" because instead of removing one book from your "to-read" shelf you end up adding 30 books bc there are just so many fascinating things he touches on and you feel the need to read more about. the only other writer off the top of my head who does this to me to the same extent is montaigne

there's a chance i'm meeting eliot soon, which is dope as hell.
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby scrumptown » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:55 pm

haven't read ghosts of birds but I really like an elemental thing too. truly remarkable how he fills his essays with so much information, and possibility

scrumptown

Postby adam sampler » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:02 pm

adam sampler

Postby mudd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 am

scrumptown wrote:
mudd wrote:i did not like sea monsters much at all.

m

I'm not quite done yet but its setting and narrative momentum remind me a little of bolaño, though the protagonist is perhaps a bit too precociously disenchanted, which feels out of joint with the whimsy.

High school goth takes a holiday, with sound track. The disenchantment is discount bin, whimsy is the only convincing thing in the book.

m
mudd

Postby speakers » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am

speakers wrote:
alaska wrote:

can cite any specific examples of this?

bump

in mean in any work, i'd like to understand what kind of dialogue you find qualifies

speakers

Postby alaska » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 am

yeah no i was literally just in here to post that i'm gonna go back when i have time and find some

the ultimate example for me is the like, ironic banter that pervades the couple of marvel movies i've seen, where some of the intensity of serious scenes is drained by the need to make a joke about everything
mactheo wrote:

alaska

Postby alaska » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:31 am

ok here's one from like the second page

it's less a categorical thing and more just like, witty dialogue coming hard and fast and not always landing to me.

it often does!! and again even just looking through the first pages of this comic i want to be clear again that i like, truly adore it, and think it nails its jokes probably more often than not. but this person is giving birth rn! without anesthetic! idk, let the moment have its gravitas. it's a silly pet peeve of mine maybe but it's something i think about
mactheo wrote:

alaska

Postby guy forget » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 am

Yeah I don’t have my copy in my apt these days so I couldn’t find any instances in response speakers but that’s a good example. It feels very Whedon-y sometimes in moments like that.
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby sigmonrunner » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm

What are the essential P K Dick stories to read? I've only read electric sheep.

sigmonrunner

Postby mudd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:11 pm

stories as in short fiction, or novels too?

Ubik, three stigmata of Palmer eldritch (hi Palmer), maybe valis, and the short stories that have been made into movies you like.

m
mudd

Postby iacus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:42 pm

I've always thought Ubik was pretty weak but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Flow my Tears and Time Out of Joint are probably the two I spend the most time thinking about. Electric sheep was the one I read over and over when I was a teen and for a long time thought was his best.
(there was a hyperbole)

iacus

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Picked up today.

reversemigraine

Postby hadlex » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:22 pm

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.

hadlex

Postby a long gush from your hole » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
現実に打ちのめされ倒れそうになっても
きっと 前を見て歩くDream Fighter

a long gush from your hole

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:41 pm

good, i liked it

fine, it was ok

good, i quite liked it, but..
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby speakers » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am

alaska wrote:ok here's one from like the second page

it's less a categorical thing and more just like, witty dialogue coming hard and fast and not always landing to me.

it often does!! and again even just looking through the first pages of this comic i want to be clear again that i like, truly adore it, and think it nails its jokes probably more often than not. but this person is giving birth rn! without anesthetic! idk, let the moment have its gravitas. it's a silly pet peeve of mine maybe but it's something i think about

guy forget wrote:Yeah I don’t have my copy in my apt these days so I couldn’t find any instances in response speakers but that’s a good example. It feels very Whedon-y sometimes in moments like that.

i didn't realize the context for this was marvel specific

thanks to both of you for responding!

speakers

Postby Seamus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:54 pm

January Reads:

+ the final 3 volumes of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....