Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chowder julius » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 pm

that annoying Twitter bookshelf thing today made me think about what a serendipitous pairing Frankenstein > the sorrows of young Werther was. canonical incel literature

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:17 pm

chowder julius wrote:this was my edition of Frankenstein which was a bespoke edition published for a local university in the 80s. suitably sick ass

that certainly qualifies

after reading the cheap 80s pocket edition of the castle of otranto i ordered the least expensive version i could find that included the illustrations from the 1764 edition

ended up being some collector's line from the 70s, and thus the first book i own with a slipcase

ahungbunny

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:11 am

Any book I can get from gutenberg (or better, standardebooks) I read that way now. I'm going digitalllll
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I'm not a player I just crush a lot. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby velvet anus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:53 am

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:
velvet anus wrote:
Finicums Wake wrote:lincoln on the bardo was good, but it revealed just how much saunders flourishes in the short fiction format. when he tried to take a cool premise but spend several hundred pages on it, rather than like 30, he eventually started to wear thin, is my opinion

About half way through now and I can get behind this sentiment, kind of dragging with just like laundry lists of spirit life. Beginning got me good because I have a son and am highly susceptible to that kind of stuff. Even if I don’t really see the point of it I like how it’s written, though how it’s marketed as an “experimental” novel seems a little pretentious.

i didn't enjoy it that much either didn't finish it and was pretty stunned when it instantly entered the canon

cool title tho

I finished it. Was pretty meh. I think this kind of sentimental, hacky spiritualism dressed up in an "experimental" style is exactly the kind of thing that ends up in the popular canon (however you want to define that). Not that George Saunders doesn't write well.

velvet anus

Postby concerning » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am

PKD is one of my favorite authors but i never got around to this one cos it seemed like the concept had been done to death and i thought it would be more of a standard pulp adventure like the amazon series. but it's really great. i didn't expect it to be so weird and mournful and slow. more character-focused than his other ones and spookily resonant to how i've felt since february of this year, like there's another better world just under the fabric of reality and we're trapped in the bad one. you can see the hinge points where things could have gone better (in the book, where the i ching could have landed differently). i also have never seen anyone talk about it in this context but it's a great postcolonial novel, i think, or a novel about colonialism anyway. the scene where frank frink is subtly humiliated by his progressive japanese friend suggesting he mass produce his jewelry was so powerfully done.Toggle Spoiler

concerning

Postby Organic Croutons » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:07 pm

^^ Read the Main in the High Castle maybe at the beginning of quarantine -- I've been reading a lot so it was a few books ago so really all I remember is I was very underwhelmed. I'm really bad at remembering plot points of film or literature over time, pretty quickly my brain only remembers how much I liked/didn't like it.

Just finished

Sorry for the gigantic image. My first Pynchon. I enjoyed it but it was sort of like a pleasant fever dream to me. Kind of hard to follow and understand what 'the point' was but I've read some critiques/assessment afterwards that helped tie some of it together. I think it is sort of a Hipinion favorite? I just bought Gravity's Rainbow and will get to that in a few months but I've heard that's an even tougher read... :o

Organic Croutons

Postby Organic Croutons » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Actually I take that back. I read ~1/2 of Inherent Vice a few years ago and bailed on it.

Organic Croutons

Postby mudd » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:43 pm

M&D is my favorite but I don’t think there’s a universal favorite Pynchon.

m
mudd

Postby Organic Croutons » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Not sure why the image link disappeared but it’s Mason & Dixon.

Organic Croutons

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:01 pm

I found Crying of Lot 49 real boring and seeing it's like his shortest by far has put me off trying another

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby feaxfang » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Kenny wrote:I found Crying of Lot 49 real boring and seeing it's like his shortest by far has put me off trying another

Finally got around to reading this. It was fine. Definitely not top tier Pynchon imo.

feaxfang

Postby transmaniacon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm

feaxfang wrote:
Kenny wrote:I found Crying of Lot 49 real boring and seeing it's like his shortest by far has put me off trying another

Finally got around to reading this. It was fine. Definitely not top tier Pynchon imo.

i think it’s fair to say though that if you don’t like lot 49 you can probably just stop. all his books are pretty much the same in terms of style/theme
transmaniacon

Postby velvet anus » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm

I think V was my favorite of the 4 or so I’ve read (never read mason dixon) but I’m not big into Pynchon

velvet anus

Postby rushedbehind » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 pm

mason & dixon is also my favourite pynchon. love it

reading dhalgren right now and having been in quarantine since march i'm getting some real vicarious thrills through its depiction of communal living

sure is a lot of furniture moving, though

rushedbehind

Postby sigmonrunner » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:11 pm

i read Neuromancer and enjoyed it. Are the sequels worth getting in to?

sigmonrunner

Postby mudd » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 pm

they're quick and fun. less good, but not bad.

m
mudd

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:41 am

Thomas Ligotti - Grimscribe
This was better than the first one but still not what you'd call good. Very disappointing experience

Now:
Hope Mirrlees - Lud-in-the-Mist

HotFingersClub

Postby speakers » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:42 pm

just finished hurricane season

wow wow wow

speakers

Postby mudd » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:58 pm

i actually finished the last of the booker international shortlist titles today (the discomfort of evening, very good but very gross. also the winner) and i have to say that hurricane season was my easy choice for winner. tyll and the adventures of china iron were really good too. the memory police was well-told but i wasn't comfortable with the messaging. and the enlightenment of the greengage tree was fine, too magical-realist for my attention.

anyway the whole shortlist was pretty good this year, and the winner was respectable though not my choice.

m
mudd

Postby hadlex » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 pm

I was reading at a pretty good clip for the first half of the year, then i took most of august off. now i'm getting back into the swing with some more simenon.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.

hadlex

Postby mancubz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:39 pm

I have like 70 pages of bleeding edge left and like, the narration is fun of course but... I don’t know what I’m supposed to be trying to find out? Like ok fine have the thinnest plot ever but for almost 500 pages??
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mudd » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:42 am

The plot is pretty irrelevant i think. There’s a mystery story, kind of, but the real mystery I think Pynchon is looking for is wtf happened to turn the hippy generation into the boomers they are today. It’s an important and interesting topic but I don’t think he really has it all figured out so the thinness of the plot isn’t bolstered by any existential depth.

It’s not at all a bad book but definitely he is out of his sweet spot.

m
mudd

Postby concerning » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am

i haven’t read BE yet but something about a pynchon novel that references metal gear solid and pokémon and britney spears feels very cosmically wrong.

concerning

Postby hadlex » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Finished the Simenon (it was only about 160 pages) and moved onto this:

The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.

hadlex

Postby christian » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:33 pm

currently: Image
reading a sketch or two before bed has been very enjoyable
next up :

christian

Postby blogger status » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm

i just finished the mark lanegan memoirs and holy hell is it gnarly
ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT

blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby speakers » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:40 pm

just finished

pedro paramo
hurricane season
chronicle of a death foretold

which was a nice loosely-related run

just started

the memory police

ever grateful to this thread for the reccs

speakers

Postby Moloch » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Just about to finish Charlie Kaufman's debut novel, "Antkind." While surreal and hilarious, it can also be meandering and slow, making the 700+ pages a bit of a slog to get through at times.

Moloch

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm about 100 pages into Voss and I'm already super impressed with the writer's style and mind. Just like, another level of smart and ability to put it on paper that I don't/wouldn't have.

It's sort of slow going somehow. I'm loving it but I feel like I've spent a lot of time to get those 100 pages in

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby velvet anus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Finishing up Black Spring. Easily the best Henry Miller I’ve read to date.

velvet anus

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....