Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby cooly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 pm

has anyone read this? i read it today and it's incredible / i learned a lot

can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby speakers » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 am

finished the memory police, loved it

this is probably just my ignorance speaking (the only other japanese author i've read is murakami, so,) but this felt very murakami to me, in terms of style, tone and subject matter

it was almost like she took a typical murakami story and did it from the perspective of someone other than the typical murakami protagonist (R)

started

pretty great

speakers

Postby vivian darko » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:43 am

same book, different decades
both, i think, deserve a much better reputation than they get

“Only Marxism can give us an adequate account of the essential mystery of the cultural past, which, like Tiresias drinking the blood, is momentarily returned to life and warmth and allowed once more to speak, and to deliver its long-forgotten message in surroundings utterly alien to it.”

vivian darko

Postby walt whitman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:57 am

excellent. accessible. beautifully written.
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am

and, as essentially the opposite of everything in smith's text, i'm reading our dear friend clem's greatest hits for a class on art theory i'm teaching

still great as ever.
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby Dirty Penny » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 am

hadlex wrote:Image

I was reading at a pretty good clip for the first half of the year, then i took most of august off. now i'm getting back into the swing with some more simenon.

I feel like Simenon is perfect for people "getting back into the swing" of reading tbh. They are almost all short (usually 200 or fewer pages) cozy stories that wrap up pretty neatly. He's one of my favorites for this very reason. I love a good Simenon as the weather chills.
IG // GR

Dirty Penny

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:36 am

I've only read The Krull House by Simenon but I didn't really like it (well I thought it was decent but I felt like there was something weird about the writing that I was expected to know but didn't?), but I've read that it's not really his usual type of book?
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I'm not a player I just crush a lot. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Dinosauria We » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:04 am

Sister Outsider - Beautiful, powerful, and essential

Discourse on Colonialism - Thanks to whoever suggested this

Inadvertent - Needed a quick read about writing to assist in my own process. This was fine i guess.

Night Sky with Exit Wounds - Loved this

Life on Mars - I enjoyed this, though not quite as much as I thought I would when I started it.

When my Brother was an Aztec - Absolutely blew me away, loved every page of it.

Oh and thanks for to whoever posted that prose collection a few weeks back. I've been slowly making my way through it and it has inspired so much of what is currently consuming my interests and personal creative process. I don't know that I'll ever truly finish that one, but it will remain close by for a long time to come.

Dinosauria We

Postby Tai-Pan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am

just finished up 'train dreams' + 'the largesse and the sea maiden' by denis johnson and both were wonderful. this guy has been a real revelation and i have to thank the board again for pointing me in that direction.

im gonna take a little break before i start in on 'the smoke tree' and read 'lolita'. it's my first nabakov and i just read the first 30 pages and i can just tell im gonna fall utterly in love with it. what a stunning command of the english language... i dont think i was expecting it to be so funny either. i have 'pale fire' lined up next.

Tai-Pan

Postby speakers » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am

just started tree of smoke, my first DJ

speakers

Postby hadlex » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 am

Dirty Penny wrote:
hadlex wrote:Image

I was reading at a pretty good clip for the first half of the year, then i took most of august off. now i'm getting back into the swing with some more simenon.

I feel like Simenon is perfect for people "getting back into the swing" of reading tbh. They are almost all short (usually 200 or fewer pages) cozy stories that wrap up pretty neatly. He's one of my favorites for this very reason. I love a good Simenon as the weather chills.

i agree! I'm sort of addicted to them at this point, partly because I know reading one isn't a huge commitment, and partly because i enjoy his loose style and morally ambiguous characters.

this was one of his later novels and was a bit more sexually explicit than his early work. it also had this really interesting nested flashback structure where the protagonist is being interviewed about a crime we don't even learn about until the last twenty pages or so. recommended.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.

hadlex

Postby rushedbehind » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:02 pm

finished dhalgren this morning. if there are any delany-heads in here, i'd love some recommendations on where to head to next. i know he has a pretty eclectic body of work behind him, so if it helps, what i enjoyed most was its escher-ish structure, its mysticism, and its focus on gender, race, sexuality, mental illness, etc. his more traditional sci-fi stuff appeals to me a little less, but if there's good stuff to be found there i'm still open to it!

damn, what a great book

rushedbehind

Postby trigross » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:25 pm

you'd like the neveryon series prob

trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby mondrary » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:33 pm

i started europe central by william vollmann a couple days ago and am really enjoying it so far, he writes beautifully. (i am 50 pages in.)

other stuff i've read recently:
james baldwin - if beale street could talk (amazing. he is uniquely excellent at letting narratives unfurl naturally even though he jumps around chronologically a bunch; the jumps always feel well-earned and always reveal character stuff that feels important and the stories sort of coil around one another and build to a super well-contained and economical whole by the end.)

yukio mishima - the sailor who fell from grace with the sea (i thought this was okay, but i also think i might be missing some sociopolitical or philosophical context or something perhaps? i wasn't in love with his style, but i did like the imagery of their apartment overlooking the water and i thought some of it was creepy in a compelling way; the child main character is so weird and i don't really understand what mishima is trying to do with the gang he's a part of and their practices. i would love to hear people's thoughts on this book as i am confused but again i thought it was alright.)

italo calvino - if on a winter's night a traveler (this was amazing; the first novel by calvino i've read and the way he writes immediately took me in. he strikes me as another author that wonderfully spins a story [in this case, several stories], made even more impressive here by the fact that he's writing in several different styles and beginning several different strands only to cut them off in ways that serve the overarching "Metatextual" thing. i found this very impressive. it's also one of those books where after you finish a paragraph you occasionally have to stop for a second and take in the beauty of what you are reading. i like this..)

michel houellebecq - the elementary particles (i'm incredibly torn on this. i think parts of it are colossally stupid and smug and sort of repulsive but i think other parts of it are genuinely rather touching and decent explorations of people who are kneecapped by their 'taboo' desires and who attempt to find love in spite of those facts.)

jack kerouac - big sur (maybe i'm falling off on The Beatniks as i read more but i didn't really get much out of this at all, whereas with the dharma bums [which, to be fair, i only read two or three years ago at this point] it felt like it built to something beautiful. this just felt meandering. it's cool to see his style get so panicky and dark at times but that's really all it is to me at a certain point -- kind of novel. did.... did reading one henry miller novel kill my interest in Jack Kerouac? is this a stupid compariosn)

mondrary

Postby conductor » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 am

Dinosauria We wrote:Sister Outsider - Beautiful, powerful, and essential

I'm reading this and Chariots of the Gods :P

conductor

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 am

rushedbehind wrote:finished dhalgren this morning. if there are any delany-heads in here, i'd love some recommendations on where to head to next. i know he has a pretty eclectic body of work behind him, so if it helps, what i enjoyed most was its escher-ish structure, its mysticism, and its focus on gender, race, sexuality, mental illness, etc. his more traditional sci-fi stuff appeals to me a little less, but if there's good stuff to be found there i'm still open to it!

damn, what a great book

Ahhh yesssss

Tbh I'd recommend going into his nonfiction, especially his memoir, The Motion of Light in Water. It's a funhouse mirror for a lot of what's in Dhalgren and he's just a fascinating guy all around
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:12 am

Also yeah Neveryon

You might also like Triton, among the SF stuff

Hogg is amazing but not something I can recommend to anyone
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby rushedbehind » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 am

thanks tg and dwb! I’m going to try get a copy of that memoir I think. love that title and I think his nonfiction sounds like it might be what I’m looking for

rushedbehind

Postby snuggle » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:30 am

Just finished Where The Crawdads Sing. It was so good. Just wanted to hug Kya the whole way.

Also, if anyone is interested in a page turning thriller with Narcissistic Personality Disorder as a theme check out Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker.

snuggle

Postby mudd » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:58 pm

I’m not sure if I can really explain “the sailor who fell from grace with the sea” enough to make it work for someone who wasn’t into it, but the key context of the book is the lost generation of boys who grew up in the aftermath of ww2. Without fathers, without the godlike emperor their parents depended on, and with their country defeated and shamed. There is probably a lot of post-war German literature in the same mode but the only thing that comes to mind is the tin drum.

m
mudd

Postby shizaam » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:45 pm

loving joanne mcneil's lurking

shizaam

Postby Dirty Penny » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Kenny wrote:I've only read The Krull House by Simenon but I didn't really like it (well I thought it was decent but I felt like there was something weird about the writing that I was expected to know but didn't?), but I've read that it's not really his usual type of book?

sorry for late reply, forgot i posted in here recently

I haven't read Krull House but I have read several others (Red Lights, Tropic Moon, Dirty Snow, Man Who Watched Trains, Strangers In the House, The Engagement, Widower, Rules of the Game and probably at least one more?)
Red Lights is a claustrophobic masterpiece and one of my favorite books ever and that plus the others are all more what I meant by cozy/tidy little books.

I think I have an e-version of Krull House though so I should binge him again. He has so many titles.
Last edited by Dirty Penny on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG // GR

Dirty Penny

Postby Dirty Penny » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:35 pm

hadlex wrote:this was one of his later novels and was a bit more sexually explicit than his early work. it also had this really interesting nested flashback structure where the protagonist is being interviewed about a crime we don't even learn about until the last twenty pages or so. recommended.

this sounds tight tbh, so i'll put this on the TBR

Dirty Penny

Postby Malcolm Money » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 am

Hurricane Season is a motherfucker of novel, like I have to strap in each chapter and at the end take a break from the weight of the story.

BUT I LOVE IT (and love this thread for introducing it to me)
I got absolutely zero “retail therapy” emotional boost and it absolutely confirmed that buying things is an empty and reflexive genuflection to a hyper consumerist capitalist system that has indoctrinated me.

Malcolm Money

Postby speakers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 pm

Hurricane season is easily one of the best things I read this year

finished tree of smoke and absolutely loved it

my first dj, where to next?

speakers

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:46 pm

it's got to be angels or jesus's son

though i have heard good things about the largesse of the sea maiden

rushedbehind

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Reading Ling Ma's Severance and it's really dang good. Enjoying it as much as it's possible to enjoy a book about an apocalyptic pandemic right now.
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby Ersaph » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 pm

I too read Hurricane Season and freakin loved it. Tough book, tho

Also read Little Eyes by Samanta Schweiben (sic), and Hotel Iris by Yoko Ogawa

Been reading a lot lately, and have enjoyed everything I've picked up. Yoko Ogawa is definitely a new fave
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby speakers » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 am

oh good call i should read more ogawa

loved memory police, i read it as what it feels like under a totalitarian regime that grinds away rights and freedoms, but then i read somewhere that it was a about death, and i thought about how someone slowly dying might begin to lose memories, abilities, thoughts, use of their limbs, etc. really great novelToggle Spoiler

speakers

Postby mudd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I didn’t like memory police all that much. The arbitrariness made the totalitarian state too whimsical for me, and it distracted me from the other qualities of the book.

m
mudd

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....