how come we don't have a proper hiking thread?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:56 pm

i feel like there are a lot of boarders that like going for walks but we only ever get a few pages out of a thread on that topic
seems odd
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.
bruceagain

Postby bongo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:57 pm

yeah we should have one
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 pm

hell brook in smugglers notch, vt is my current fav hike
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby tiger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 pm

goin this weekend

made some medicine
tiger

Postby brent » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 pm

because we all live in cities and don't hike much
brent

Postby fester » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 pm

hikes!
------------
fester

Postby Pashmina » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 pm

brent wrote:because we all live in cities and don't hike much

lotta people I know in NYC hike and climb all the time
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.
Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby Sobieski » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 pm

"pasty alcoholics"
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:13 pm

no I love hiking, it's all super flat in florida though

but central fl has some pretty interesting trails in the middle of nowhere
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14 pm

i need new boots, only takes a few hours in steel toes before i get fed up
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.
bruceagain

Postby Bernie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Hiked to a dope overlook in Colorado yesterday and smoked a bowl at the top.
Last edited by Bernie on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 pm

really wanna go see this californian redwood stand in the otways
maybe slump up against one and pretend to be raymond velcro
bruceagain

Postby milano boy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:25 pm

cathedral peak in santa barbara is my favorite hike of all time. also probably the most difficult hike i've ever done, too
milano boy

Postby Bernie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 pm

I love hiking out west but mystical hikes through the forest in the blue ridge and the smokies are the fuckin best
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby Flossed Out » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:40 pm

+1 for redwoods. been wanting to go there all my life
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Flossed Out wrote:+1 for redwoods. been wanting to go there all my life

what if i told you those pictures weren't even in the northern hemisphere
bruceagain

Postby Chyet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:57 pm

woke/ad astra per alia porci
Chyet

Postby wintergreen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:03 pm

headed up to the saguenay fjord over labor day weekend:

jesus, i can't wait.
wintergreen

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 pm

i want to do all the walks
bruceagain

Postby tarantula » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:29 pm

there's a remnant of an extinct volcano near me called calavera hills, right in the middle of a neighborhood. it basically blew like half of itself away millions of years ago so its now just this steep hill shaped like a "c" with the missing portion being a sheer, curved cliff face that you can get vertigo off of by hiking to the top and staring down into it.

one night when i was driving home from the beach it was one of those mega full moons that loom impossibly bright and huge on the horizon. i noticed it was rising in the direction of the calvera hills so i headed over there thinking it would be cool to hike to the top and just chill and check out the moon for awhile. when i got to the top clouds had rolled in and obscured any view of the moon so i just sort of took in the 360 panorama of suburban lights and prepared to head back down the trail.

then i noticed this pale little yellowish/orange light glowing in some shrubs. my first thought was that someone had tossed a cigarette butt and i tensed up because i'd thought i was completely alone, and if someone was around me they were being totally silent. i couldn't smell smoke though so i hunkered down to get a closer look at the ember. on the way up i had passed a shrine someone built for a dead relative that they left sea shells and flowers on, so my next thought was that maybe it was an incense stick that someone had left there that burned down to its base. but when i blew on it there was no color change like you would expect when you blow on embers. it just sort of bobbed up and down.

i used a twig to prod at the ember and it stuck to it, so i raised it up to my face to get a better look. the nighttime cloud cover was making it really hard to see any details but it looked like a glowing ember sort of divided into six kernels almost like corn on the cob. it then occurred to me that this must be some bioluminescent creature i'd never heard off and headed off back to my car so i could inspect it in the cab light. moving down the trail i saw another glowing ember in some shrubs further off, which supported my idea.

back in the car under the dome light i saw that it was an insect that looked like a long, thin, uncurled rolly polly. it was attached to the stick via some white webbing, and the six glowing kernels were the final segments of its body, or its ass. it seemed like it was totally comatose. i was thinking i was going to take it home and keep it in a jar to see what the end of this weird process was but then i felt bad for taking it out of its environment and walked it back to a nearby shrub and tried to leave it the way i found it.

i googled the fuck out of bioluminescent creatures in california and there isn't anything. is it possible i made a unique discovery of some insect that only becomes bioluminescent during mega full moons or something? i called the department of fish and wild life about it and they said "'you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel air.'
tarantula

Postby joymonger » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 pm

simply love to hike
simply love to yup
joymonger

Postby internethandle » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:42 pm

@pierrot yeah your IG has been absolutely insane since you got up there

sucks about the 90 mile commute but you're definitely making the best of it
Last edited by internethandle on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
internethandle
ok

Postby bruceagain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:44 pm

he bought me asolos and he tried to molest me in the parking lot
yup, yup yup yup
Last edited by bruceagain on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruceagain

Postby powderfinger » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:02 am

hell yeah I'm gonna drive out to the mountains on Saturday and do 10 miles
powderfinger

Postby what the schmuck » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 am

simply love to hike. didn't get out as much as i wanted to this summer, but thats life.

view from the kendall catwalk portion of the PCT

an alpine meadow on our way to twin sister lakes

view from the tolmie peak look out toward mt rainier in the national forest
what the schmuck

Postby tiger » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:47 am

tarantula wrote:back in the car under the dome light i saw that it was an insect that looked like a long, thin, uncurled rolly polly. it was attached to the stick via some white webbing, and the six glowing kernels were the final segments of its body, or its ass. it seemed like it was totally comatose. i was thinking i was going to take it home and keep it in a jar to see what the end of this weird process was but then i felt bad for taking it out of its environment and walked it back to a nearby shrub and tried to leave it the way i found it.

i googled the fuck out of bioluminescent creatures in california and there isn't anything. is it possible i made a unique discovery of some insect that only becomes bioluminescent during mega full moons or something? i called the department of fish and wild life about it and they said "'you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel air.'

check out #4 on this page

Of the over 12,000 millipede species known, only a handful of them belonging to the genus Motyxia are bioluminescent and all of them are found exclusively in the mountainous regions of California. They spend the day burrowed under the soil but upon nightfall these blind creepy crawlies wriggle out from the ground to munch on dead plants and emit a constant glow from their exoskeleton. Their glow is ominous to predators: When disturbed or threatened they release toxic cyanide from tiny pores in their bodies. In an experiment to test this notion, researchers placed fake painted millipedes made of clay alongside real glowing ones at night and examined them the next morning. To their surprise the fake millipedes were viciously attacked upon four times more often than the real glowing ones by what they deduced were rodents.

tiger

Postby tarantula » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:25 pm

o, cool

i'd found some bioluminescent centipedes in south america on google but none for california. the weird thing is that this is a small isolated hill like 15 minutes away from the beach so it's not like mountainous, high altitude terrain. also, it was just the butt of the bug that was glowing, not the whole body. it did look pretty much like that though...so i probably had my face right up in a toxic cyanide emitting insect.

anyway, thanx for dredging the up!
tarantula

Postby Stuntman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 pm

I spend a lot of my spare time hiking. I love finding new trails near where I live.
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby viachicago » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 pm

i love to hike but without having a car and living in a big city, its more just "walking"

i fantasize about doing the PCT/Appalacian damn near constantly. im not sure im made out of the sort of stuff required to do it though.
viachicago

Postby viachicago » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:26 pm

what the schmuck wrote:view from the tolmie peak look out toward mt rainier in the national forest

i want to be here
Last edited by viachicago on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viachicago

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....