how come we don't have a proper hiking thread?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby delgriffith » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Fucking hell.

But great pics, Mr. Cool Wave and brent!

delgriffith

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 pm

wild jealous of you guys, looks like good times
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby galactagogue » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:34 pm

finally scratched the itch in the midwest this past weekend for a really short getaway in Indiana. The good news is it gave us all the urge to go camping again somewhere further and longer, this fall.

photo dump cus i finally got some ones off my camera

played with a new camera im still getting used to too. plus probably not the right lens for the scenario... oh well !

Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby brent » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:52 pm

that looks dope, galactagogue. the vid is extremely calming

i need to do more camping in my own (midwestern) region. once we start getting some cool autumnal colors i'm gonna do some exploring

brent

Postby delgriffith » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Late to them but love those vids/pics galactagogue

delgriffith

Postby Chyet » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 pm

didn't get out as much as i wanted this year but this was nice.
we got lil mt rose and La Push mixed together here

scrambled my password
Chyet

Postby bruceagain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 pm

:D
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby joymonger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 am

love the pics, keep em coming!

joymonger

Postby KPH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 am

Sigh. These are all so great y’all.

KPH

Postby galactagogue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 pm

delgriffith wrote:Late to them but love those vids/pics galactagogue

thanks del ! it was a real nice and quick trip. i used to be sorta down on nature photography stuff, but I think i 'get it' now.
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby blackbetty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:16 pm

any good backpacking to be had around/about Austin, TX?

blackbetty

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Anyone f with altimeter/gps watches for hiking?
Gimmicky or useful?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby woozy ducks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:Anyone f with altimeter/gps watches for hiking?
Gimmicky or useful?

altimeter watches get swayed too easily by weather changes from my experience. i'd set it at the trailhead, go up a mountain, and when i came back to the car it'd be 800ft different than when i started.

i'd love to have a handheld gps unit for route finding. gps watches seem more geared toward logging data, which i don't care as much about.

i am very against using your phone for gps capabilities. i leave my phone in airplane mode somewhere warm to save battery. maybe a few pictures. but it's so stupid to be out there and have such an incredible safety tool out of commission because you drained the battery logging statistics. but i've found the phone gps quite accurate. we'd go out on a 20 mile hike and the phone would report back within a mile of what the usgs map said it was supposed to be

woozy ducks

Postby clouds » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

i use gaia gps on my phone and it rules. download maps, run in airplane mode. battery life is good. that said my girlfriend will usually have her phone off as a backup, and/or we/i will have a pocket juice charger.

the map layer options are great on gaia. super useful off trail too. that said i always carry paper topos and a compass as well.

clouds

Postby woozy ducks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 pm

clouds wrote:that said i always carry paper topos and a compass as well.

i've been wanting to get better at this. get a navigation book, compass, and map and go try to get lost

woozy ducks

Postby clouds » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm

yeah i would like to take a class or at least spend a day with someone well versed in backcountry navigation. i don't trust myself all that much.

clouds

Postby fresco painter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm

I want to take some proper hikes this year, been doing car camping and stuff. I want to start at one end of a long trail and finish at the other end

fresco painter
Comptroller

Postby woozy ducks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Sobieski wrote:I want to take some proper hikes this year, been doing car camping and stuff. I want to start at one end of a long trail and finish at the other end

Mary Mountain trail in Yellowstone has been high on my list for years. About 22 miles, big one-way hike across the center of the park through "grizzly bear alley"

woozy ducks

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Some friends had a VERY BAD TIME in whiteout conditions last summer and it's made me totally reconsider the seriousness of the backcountry and some of my abilities, which is why I will always travel with a map and compass from now on. A backcountry gps would be sick, but they're so expensive and totally feel like overkill for what I do. The SPOT3 would be decent as a failsafe, but really if you know how to use them a compass and map should be enough.

I had my phone die on me once because I was taking too many pictures - and they drain really quickly in the cold, which is always is overnight in the mountains.

incoherent grunting

Postby bold man » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 am

Sobieski wrote:I want to take some proper hikes this year, been doing car camping and stuff. I want to start at one end of a long trail and finish at the other end
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin

bold man
ok

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

Public service announcement since I already got my trips booked: Most Canadian backcountry reservations are open now. Jump while they're hot!

incoherent grunting

Postby big zorb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:41 am

thinking about hittin the ozarks this spring
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

drop me a line at elzorbie@gmail.com

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby warmjets » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 am

Branson?

warmjets

Postby big zorb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am

i've only ever hiked roaring river state park at the very bottom of missouri. clouds to thread please, where is the good ozarks shit.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

drop me a line at elzorbie@gmail.com

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby woozy ducks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am

incoherent grunting wrote:Public service announcement since I already got my trips booked: Most Canadian backcountry reservations are open now. Jump while they're hot!

Thanks.

What area you heading to? I spent a week around Jasper (no overnight backcountry) then drove down the rockies to Montana. I was sleeping my tent one night on the side of a dirt road outside Invermere and sometime during the night it started pouring rain. Shortly thereafter logging trucks began commuting down the road like 10 feet from where my head was. I had to pack up my soppy muddy tent and sleep in my car. Point of the story, I dunno.

woozy ducks

Postby clouds » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm

big zorb wrote:i've only ever hiked roaring river state park at the very bottom of missouri. clouds to thread please, where is the good ozarks shit.

you need to to go arkansas. we are doing a section of the ozark highlands trail the next weekend the weather is half decent. we spend the weekend after christmas at white rock recreation area (cabins, camping) and it is awesome. shores lake recreation area is nearby (camping). richland creek recreation area is on the oht and is a cool campground too, one of my faves.

buffalo river trail is also awesome, i've not done much of it but it's long and there are good easy weekend/day sections.

butterfield trail that starts at devil's den state park and runs in to the national forest is a great overnight loop (like 14 miles). super well marked, a primitive camp area halfway through. great pick for someone's first overnight.

buffalo river also has a ton of cool day hikes, hawksbill crag and hemmed in hollow falls (tallest between the rockies and appalachians) being the most popular.

all of the arkansas ozarks rule tbh. april is a great month before the ticks go apeshit. let me know how many days you are thinking and if you want dayhikes or backpacking etc. also if you want to know about places near cabins or campgrounds that have showers etc. one of my favorite things to do is spend a night or 2 "real camping" then drive to a public campground with good showers and have a relaxing night and cook a big meal after getting all clean.
Last edited by clouds on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clouds

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm

I've booked a couple weekends at Egypt Lake in Banff and will go based on weather (early and late July)
A week on the Rockwall trail Kootenays which I had to cancel due to snow last year - this year I booked for mid-August so might have to cancel due to forest-fires :mrgreen:
And a long-weekend at Taylor lake in Banff in mid-September to see those motherfuckin' larches, baby!

I would have loved to do more multi-day trips, especially in jasper which I haven't really explored much of the backcountry.. but I'm down a partner what with A NEW BABY AND ALL. I've got to train up a friend or two for next year.

Egypt Lake
Rockwall Trail

incoherent grunting

Postby clouds » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:19 pm

sounds like an awesome year ig!

clouds

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm

My wife and I are going to try a walk-in car-camping trip with our 11-month old one weekend too. We'll see how it goes!

incoherent grunting

Postby John Dark » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:31 pm

New Years resolution was to do a hike every weekend. Starting out with shorter ones and gradually ramping up. So far, so good. Although this weekend's weathrr forecast looks a bit unfriendly.
shanked by the Devil

John Dark

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley