last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby odilon redon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am

black rain looks glorious and amazing unfortunately it’s also dull as dirt and it took me like 8 attempts to get through the entirety of it

odilon redon

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 am

Repo where can I find that Reagan doc ?

Fr. Blanc

Postby rixx » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am

it's on hulu! i watched it last night and enjoyed it, thanks repo. it was really eye-opening for me about his presidency

rixx

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 am

Oh great thx

Fr. Blanc

Postby Repo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:14 am

RIXX wrote:it's on hulu! i watched it last night and enjoyed it, thanks repo. it was really eye-opening for me about his presidency

nice!

Repo

Postby red desert » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Force of Evil (Polonsky, 1948)

red desert

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 am

First Man was pretty good, much better than I expected and a totally reasonable biofilm (which I generally loathe)

Shoplifters was really good!!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:39 pm

Margaret (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011) - So I liked this and it's clearly very ambitious and, indeed, remarkable for some reasons, but I guess I'm more interested in what people here like so much about it.
furrowed brow

Postby super gas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:45 pm

which cut did you see?

super gas

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:04 pm

I need to see it again but a thing I like about Marg is it’s depiction of an inability to communicate interpersonally but also that same concept zoomed out and translated to an inability to understand the world. there’s great resonance for me in those spaces

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Whatever that’s basic I’m drunk

Fr. Blanc

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 pm

super gas wrote:which cut did you see?

the long one.
furrowed brow

Postby carlagain » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:41 pm

woah i JUST watched Margaret too. i think it's interesting that Lonergan is clearly coming from this theater background, and reading interviews where he's talking about writing a script versus a play and the challenge of trying to write a bit of montage instead of dialogue. this is probably a little unfair, but he's sort of barely a film-maker, or at least coming at movies from a different direction. but that's what allows him to make a pretty formalistic film, un-mired by negotiations of montage, pictorialism. gives credence that maybe the best film makers are contemptuous or indifferent to film, or at least movies - that movies lovers might make the worst films, or have the most difficulty doing it. it's a great barely movie, the star power involved makes that part a little funny, basically it's really good

carlagain

Postby carlagain » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm

i also finally watched the second half of grin without a cat, and that's the best... my heart bleeds for marker and all that. i think his method is clearly the best, i want to know precisely how jealous godard is. cat eyes would never side with power... like geralt of rivia. maybe it's silly, im weary of being too nostalgic, but i cried for the world at the end. maybe these are last tears i can cry for the world

i would recommend watching

as an intermission

carlagain

Postby carlagain » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Vive L'amour - Tsai Ming-Liang

loved too

carlagain

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Franco wrote:I need to see it again but a thing I like about Marg is it’s depiction of an inability to communicate interpersonally but also that same concept zoomed out and translated to an inability to understand the world. there’s great resonance for me in those spaces

Yeah, this was definitely interesting and the way the film plays with estrangement, from others, from oneself, from the movie itself on the part of the audience (all those scenes where other conversations are drowning out the characters' dialogue, the curtailing of scenes right on the cusp of revealing important information, the way we're sort of hidden from the core of Lisa's trauma). It's a good portrait of the often confusing and problematic exercise of trying to sort out your feelings.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:13 pm

carlagain wrote:woah i JUST watched Margaret too. i think it's interesting that Lonergan is clearly coming from this theater background, and reading interviews where he's talking about writing a script versus a play and the challenge of trying to write a bit of montage instead of dialogue. this is probably a little unfair, but he's sort of barely a film-maker, or at least coming at movies from a different direction. but that's what allows him to make a pretty formalistic film, un-mired by negotiations of montage, pictorialism. gives credence that maybe the best film makers are contemptuous or indifferent to film, or at least movies - that movies lovers might make the worst films, or have the most difficulty doing it. it's a great barely movie, the star power involved makes that part a little funny, basically it's really good

This is interesting and not particularly surprising. I think that the film is unique for this reason but it also gives it a bit a ceiling quality-wise. I think a little more "film-making" craft would have enhanced the final product, hopefully without diminishing its writerly virtues.
furrowed brow

Postby delgriffith » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Martin - First watch (@ BAM). Damn, this was truly rad.

delgriffith

Postby pink snake » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Just watched Greta. I liked it.

pink snake

Postby walt whitman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 am

man martin. thats cool
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 am

on some days, martin is my favorite romero
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am

it's a very uncomfortable and insane movie

palmer eldritch

Postby shacky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am

luv the marty

shacky

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 am

I saw If Beale Street Could Talk yesterday in the theater. Very beautiful movie and I loved it a lot. I think I'd put it just slightly below Moonlight but that's because Moonlight is fierce competition and I think the ending of Beale St was slightly weak in payoff. I really loved how intimate and close everything was
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

on friday I was casting about for a fun horror movie to watch with my gf and son and after they spent like 20 minutes all passively rejecting every suggestion I made, I got irritated and decided I was going onto my 2tb harddrive of movies and just grab the first one that jumped out at me. 'drag me to hell'? hey guys, daddy has decided what we're going to watch

and? it were awesome! we loved it. I remembered next to nothing about it and they hadn't seen it, and goddamn did we have fun. I'd forgotten just how sam raimi-ish it is, like some of the scenes are straight outta evil dead 2. excellent revival of a shoulda-been-a-classic-and-maybe-it-actually-is movie and is definitely worth a rewatch if you haven't seen it in ages

and then last night, gf and I watched 'the favourite' and I was in just the right mindset (and level of ingested vices) that I was on-board from the beginning and really enjoyed it

oh yeah, also watched 'free solo'. we enjoyed the sheer physicality of it. but I also had mellowgold's fierce admonishment that if you liked this, you were an awful person and were going onto a 'list' and would be called out and shamed. I tried finding out more yesterday but couldn't find anything on the google

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby aububs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am

I think with free solo it's just that honnold comes across as a douche? which doesn't cancel the documentary for me. the climbing is nuts and spectacular to watch thru yr fingers. I also think honnold def has some degree of Aspergers. would love for mellowgold or any of the other people who had a super negative reaction to it to expand on that tho

I think for a climbing documentary the dawn wall is just as good and tommy caldwell is a much nicer person than honnold (even tho, without spoiling, he has arguably done something infinitely worse than honnold has lol)

I haven't seen drag me to hell since theatres but I remember thinking it was very, very good
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby warmjets » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 am

Green Book

warmjets

Postby nosebleeds » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Sam Raimi directed Drag Me to Hell, BS.

nosebleeds

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 pm

yes I know. I was commenting on how 'drag' has many scenes that are very characteristic of his established slapstick style in evil dead 2, which other movies of his did less of

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Flying Leathernecks (Ray, 1951)

I grabbed this one to watch off a completisms list when I was too tired to scroll through everything. There's no real reason to watch it unless you really like Robert Ryan, I guess. Or John Wayne, for some reason. It's a sloppy movie, the aerial battles look like shit, and the domestic scenes are extremely embarrassing so thankfully there are few of them. The war in the pacific is fascinating but this has definitely got to be one of the least interesting movies I've seen that touch the subject matter.

palmer eldritch

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley