last movie watched.

Let's talk hats

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:23 am

Ladies of Leisure (1930) - Capra was a much more likeable director in pre-code Hollywood. This film is real nice! and like other pre-code classics has a satisfyingly loose, laid-back quality to it. Of course Barbara Stanwyck is so good in that kind of mode - just sort of jabbing along, teasing, reacting. Pretty vulnerable here at times too. No wonder she became a star. Kinda wish she defined the idea of a star even more for the following decades.

No Good Advice

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:40 pm

Hudson Hawk (Lehmann, 1991)

the third entry in this series of throwback movies I never saw whatever. Hudson Hawk has big problems as far as being a comedy goes, because it has jokes in it but they're terrible and Bruce for whatever reason comes off as more annoying than charming here so it's also not selling well. but what it does have going for it is that it's a totally absurd movie full of totally absurd characters and situations so other than the terrible jokes about how he liked getting his crotch bitten by a dog because it was close enough to a blowjob it was a fun enough movie. Richard Grant is absolutely fantastic as the villain and the movie employs Danny Aiello as the main sidekick to Bruce and he's wonderful. the tone of this movie is like, it would be a kids movie, a nice silly farce except for Aiello saying fuck all the time and the violence.

and there's the line "Looks like you won't be attending that hat convention in July." that one is really sticking with me. I mean sure there's the kind of movie where you gotta have one-liners when the action hero is killing the bad guys. but someone gets decapitated and he says, "Looks like you won't be attending that hat convention in July." now I guess that he can't go to the hat convention because he lost his head and so he no longer needs a hat. but are there hat conventions? it's a pretty good thing to blurt out when you're pressed to make light of a guy getting his head sliced off. I imagine the writer of this script typing it out. "Looks like you won't be attending that hat convention" but then the viewer is left to wonder. wait, which hat convention is Bruce referring to. well, I can't leave any loose ends in the mind of the viewer. "in July." there we go.

palmer eldritch

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:49 pm

of course there are hat conventions to suggest otherwise is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:51 pm

I tried to ask google and it said "Did you mean: are there at conventions"

palmer eldritch

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:07 am

the hits just keep on coming

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby aububs » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:48 pm

i watched hudson hawk recently and danny aiello saying fuck all the time was one of my main takeaways
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:25 am

I watched Shithouse without realizing I'd already watched Shithouse about a year ago until I was about 40 minutes in. I gave it one and a half stars last time. I liked it more this time around but I'm still mad I already watched Shithouse.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby kid8 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 am

Lol.
Antient Rome.

kid8
killer

Postby No Good Advice » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:43 pm

The Divorcee (1930)

"I’m glad I discovered there’s more than one man in the world while I’m young and they want me. Believe me, I’m not missing anything from now on. Loose women are great, but not in the home, eh, Ted? The looser they are, the more they get. The best in the world, no responsibilities. Well, my dear, I’m going to find out how they do it."

Very good. Great copies out there for a 1930 flick. Beautiful stuff from Norma Shearer, deserved win at the 2nd ever Oscars. Imagine after only two years of talkies in Hollywood these very human performances are being pulled off.

No Good Advice

Postby No Good Advice » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm

spit-take when I looked up Shearer's last husband and this site came up

https://www.whosdatedwho.com/dating/martin-arrouge

No Good Advice

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:39 am

Blackhat (Mann, 2015)

I was kind of piqued curiosity on this by comments in that one Mann ranking thread and the way the letterboxd reviews and ratings on it are all over the place which usually means there's pretty good potential I will enjoy it. Ultimately... not really. It's a pretty standard movie in the global action thriller genre. Mann can put together a gunfight sequence really well. Some of the individual scenes are good but the whole script is pretty stupid and works very much on the level of a series of video game objective missions. Pretty bland, fine I guess, but I could have watched something better.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am

Freejack (Murphy, 1992)

I can count this in my throwback-never-seen series of movies. There still are some sci-fi movies from the 90s I haven't seen, it's a shame... This movie is hopelessly stupid for sure and the action scenes aren't really very good. But it has a vision of the future with practical 90s effects. Anthony Hopkins showing up and doing a role that he clearly does not give a fuck about. David Johansen as himself. Grand Lee Bush, Jonathan Banks, and Frankie Faison, great casting here. And then, there's Mick Jagger. He is in this movie as an antagonist for Emilio for some reason. Some people did not like his performance but I thought he killed it. It's no DEMOLITION MAN but it's all right.

palmer eldritch

Postby lockheed's old roommate » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Stillwater is really good
jeffrey wrote:
lockheed's old roommate wrote:"up yours children!"

lockheed's old roommate

Postby aububs » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:50 pm

^yeah. was really surprised by how much i liked that
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby kid8 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Watching Stillwater right now. Matt Damon looks good thicc and country. Mmm hmm.
Antient Rome.

kid8
killer

Postby hadlex » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Happiness

I'm still kinda reeling from this one.

hadlex

Postby bluestoy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:13 pm

I watched all three Once Upon a Time in China movies this weekend. I was immediately hooked from the beginning. The second one is so cool and dark. The third one was awesome with the lion/dragon dancing and fighting.
"You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes you are the statue." -Claude Chabrol

bluestoy

Postby John Dark » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:14 pm

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

Quite possibly deserves to be considered in the perfect movies thread.
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:04 pm

watched Dragged Across Concrete last night

hoo boy

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:06 pm

I’m all about honest portrayals of casual racists, whether it’s the two cops or the cop’s karen wife talking about being racist now that she moved into the neighborhood

but a few moments like the Don Johnson speech on cancel culture or whatever felt a little too speech-y for my tastes

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:10 pm

debating whether i want to subject myself to Brawl in Cell Block 99

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:35 pm

I like Brawl more.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby RealKenny3 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:36 pm

I watched The 36th Chamber of Shaolin last night for the first time in years and years last night and was reminded about how fucking great it is. I want to watch a bunch of kung fu movies now.

I'm watching Tremors 2 now
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Ron » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Tremors 2 doesn’t have much kung fu.

Ron

Postby RealKenny3 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah I gotta figure out what the others to watch are

To be honest if I've ever seen Enter The Dragon it's been long enouhg that I don't remember so I should watch that
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

RealKenny3
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:41 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I like Brawl more.

watching this now and can’t not picture ted lasso in the lead role whenever i hear vaughn’s accent

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby odilon redon » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:52 am

pain & gain is so fucking good
I look at bluegrass music as this sort of glowing ball. The point is to relax the technique around the glowing ball of feeling.

odilon redon

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:49 pm

oleg (2019)

very accurate (and stressful) portrayal of slavic migrant workers in the eu

mercenaries of slime

Postby Pris » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:02 am

August favorites.

01. Il grande silenzio / The Great Silence (1968)
02. Lady for a Day (1933)
03. The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
04. Klute (1971)
05. Advise & Consent (1962)

Can’t get over the Italian dubbing over Klaus Kinski’s voice in The Great Silence. Very memorable finale though.

Pris

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:01 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:I’m all about honest portrayals of casual racists, whether it’s the two cops or the cop’s karen wife talking about being racist now that she moved into the neighborhood

but a few moments like the Don Johnson speech on cancel culture or whatever felt a little too speech-y for my tastes

I love the three zahler flicks but he is a really politically incoherent, neolibertarian shithead. Bone Tomahawk is p much cannibal holocaust but he tries to give himself plausible denability by having an indigenous american be the one to say "these aren't like any of my tribe". Cell Block is basically a white nationalist exploitation flick. Zahler is v sympathetic to vaughn and gibson in dragged, and having a cagey Black man survive at the end doesn't mitigate any of his shitty proclivities.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone