last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby hector doepos » Sat May 04, 2019 11:41 pm

existenz is incredible. holy shit. if anyone could recommend more films like this. i love mind bending films
hector doepos

Postby hector doepos » Sat May 04, 2019 11:45 pm

I also just watched 'in the mouth of madness' which was great too. i couldnt tell if it was taking itself seriously but then i realized that was the point ;)
hector doepos

Postby R C » Sun May 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Kaili Blues was really good. Gan Bi must be a huge fan of STALKER
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 pm

the Chinese language title is Roadside Picnic

palmer eldritch

Postby broodstar » Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 pm

balm
🄱🄰🅁🅂.

broodstar

Postby R C » Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm

there we go
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby furrowed brow » Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am

So Charles Burnett is pretty good at making movies, huh?
furrowed brow

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon May 06, 2019 8:30 am

Silence of the Lambs ('91)
"Oh wait - was she a great big fat person?"
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Mon May 06, 2019 1:27 pm

hector doepos wrote:existenz is incredible. holy shit. if anyone could recommend more films like this. i love mind bending films

primer and upstream color, come to mind
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

theres only one existenz

palmer eldritch

Postby gauchebag » Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pm

been going through a bunch of japanese films lately just watched The Hidden Fortress

i was expecting to be hit over the head more with all the Star Wars shit it wasn't laid on as thick as I had been led to believe. the horizontal wipes, the servant girl pretending to be the Princess and the two bumbling lower-totem characters sure but I thought this was supposed to be a much more brazen ripoff

Story is good pretty entertaining and quick for being 2H20 but nothing special for me

gauchebag

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby walt whitman » Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:theres only one existenz

many of cronenbergs movies have the same overriding sense of paranoia, thriller genre trappings and multilayered narrative worlds of existenz. naked lunch, videodrome, scanners...

walt whitman

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon May 06, 2019 3:45 pm

naked lunch is probably the closest one to me, yeah

palmer eldritch

Postby super gas » Wed May 08, 2019 9:38 am

THE SOUVENIR, pt. I (Hogg, 2019)

really wonderful. kind of hard to understand how this was honor's first film, especially with hogg's style of filmmaking. also really blown away by burke, who i never heard of before.

super gas

Postby furrowed brow » Wed May 08, 2019 6:25 pm

super gas wrote:Image
THE SOUVENIR, pt. I (Hogg, 2019)

really wonderful. kind of hard to understand how this was honor's first film, especially with hogg's style of filmmaking. also really blown away by burke, who i never heard of before.

Really looking forward to that one. Just watched Archipelago the other day and really liked it.

Edit: Wow, yeah, just watched Exhibition and Unrelated too; these films are so good.
furrowed brow

Postby Plainsong » Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 pm

The Phantom Of The Opera (1925)- Rupert Julian, Lon Chaney, Ernst Laemmie, Edward Sedgwick
The Set-Up (1949)- Robert Wise

These both ruled.

Plainsong

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sat May 11, 2019 1:35 pm

furrowed brow wrote:So Charles Burnett is pretty good at making movies, huh?

which of his films did you watch?

he doesn't have a directors credit on it, just cinematography and writing and it's much lesser known b/c it hasn't seen an official release in quite some time (as far as i can tell this is true of most films from the la rebellion movement) but i have to recommend bless their little hearts (1983) as a spiritual sequel to killer of sheep that focuses on a deteriorating marriage within the watts community if you're willing to seek it out. (edit: i have a rip and i'd like more people to watch it so i'll go ahead and dropbox it) it's stunning.
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby furrowed brow » Sat May 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Oh, I hadn't heard of that, but it sounds awesome. I'll definitely get it from the db, thank you!

So far I've only seen My Brother's Wedding and To Sleep with Anger, but I wanna see all of his stuff now.
furrowed brow

Postby unscrambled » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 pm

saw Amazing Grace - aretha is truly unreal

unscrambled

Postby Pris » Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 am

Plainsong wrote:Image
The Set-Up (1949)- Robert Wise

I happened to watch it this week as well. Really good, compact movie. With the production code in effect, I expected the heels to get more of a comeuppance. The main bad guy was appropriately slimy. Ryan was great.

Pris

Postby naturemorte » Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 am

Got a triple feature lined up for today: De Toth's RAMROD (35mm), Hong's HOTEL BY THE RIVER and Aoyama's EUREKA (35mm). Between those, ISHTAR last Friday, WALDHEIM WALTZ and an MFA thesis screening yesterday, LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT tomorrow, GERMANY, PALE MOTHER Tuesday, DRAGNET GIRL (35mm) and DAYS AND NIGHTS IN THE FOREST Wednesday and THE AREA Thursday, I will have logged about 21 hours in screenings this week.

Point is, who even has time to post about movies
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby Milk » Sun May 12, 2019 11:46 am

I put on the first garbage i came across on Netflix because i like to have something on when i eat and i hadnt planned ahead and my food was getting cold and that movie ended up being Mile 22 with Mark Whalberg.

You only have to see this if you like to see Whalberg acting intense and delivering ridiculous lines. The writing of this tries so hard and fails. I think it was trying to go for some Mamet or something (who i actually dont particularly like) His character is supposed to be extremely bright.... There's also John Malkovich playing John Malkovich (in a completely inconsequential role). Like he's been doing all his career. Mind you i'm sure at this point he's just in it for the checks since it's not like good roles abound.

It also takes the dumbest bet a movie can take. It goes in thinking it has a franchise on its hands. So, SPOILERS!!!!! the movie pretty much ends in a cliffhanger. And badly. The heroes don't win. Everyone involved in producing this was obviously way overconfident about what they had to take such an insane bet. Even if you plan a franchise, you have to have a self-contained first movie, you don't know if it's gonna work yet. It's like if instead of New hope the first SW was Empire Strikes Back. The movie made a profit, but of only 6 millions (on a 60 millions budget). the critics were at best average. This isn't getting a sequel. So you've got a movie that even if it was competent, which it isnt (save for maybe any action scene involving Iko Uwais though the editing is kinda bad) )still wouldn't be satisfying on its own. You MIGHT only want to watch it IF it was getting a sequel and IF that sequel was actually a lot better. And so it's absolutely unrecommendable (is that a word? ). Other than for Intense Whalberg fans. You can tell in every line he utters too that he thinks "this is it, this is my Bourne, my Mission Impossible, this is the character that is gonna pay for everything between now and my retirement"
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Milk » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Just watched Prospect. It's on Netflix right now (well...in canada anyway)

Love at first sight.

I mean ok, it's not MINDBLOWING really. But fuck does it put 99% of low budget sci-fi without it seems having to try hard. Great, great art design, very 70's, makes the most out of its lack of budget, makes you believe in its world without ever having to do much. Words here and there, ideas that call on your imagination to fill in the blanks. We WILL definitely hear from the two writers/directors again (hopefully not just to have them make some Marvel films 5 years from now....). And i imagine also from Sophie Thatcher, the teenage lead. SF films like they don't make them anymore. Simple story, nothing fancy, just tight and tasteful writing and directing. Favorite movie i saw this year so far (ok i have NOT watched much at all, but still), it put an actual tear to my eye.

To think Will Smith and his son made a movie with the same basic story (well I mean, sorta) for millions more and it absolutely sucked.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun May 12, 2019 11:11 pm

thought 'her smell' was tremendous, was not expecting to enjoy it half that much

stylistically felt like a cross between 'a woman under the influence' and 'punch-drunk-love' (especially that score!)

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 pm

'extremely wicked shockingly evil and vile' on the other hand was completely disappointing, what a waste of a movie

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby walt whitman » Mon May 13, 2019 1:46 am

tony conrad- completely in the present

walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

loved that tony conrad doc
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 am

Tokyo Tribe (Sono, 2014)

At this point I end up grading everything Sion Sono does up against the masterpiece level of Tokyo Vampire Hotel which is not really fair but this one falls a bit short of a lot of his work I think. It actually probably WOULD have been better as a 6-8 hour TV show... if he also dropped the rap gimmick, because about half of the dialog is delivered as rapping. Usually it comes off as awkward and not very spirited and the music is cheap so, better as a concept than in execution. While it's definitely got Sono's vibes to it is also comes off as Takashi Miike's The Warriors though partly just because of Riki Takeuchi's presence (he seems to be having a great time here) but also some general Dead or Alive series vibes. The movie finally starts to actually have some fun with the premise after about an hour, when everybody starts fighting or whatever, and has enough clever or funny parts to make it worthwhile. And every time someone says "Nerimuthafuckaz!" is pretty good too.

palmer eldritch

Postby walt whitman » Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm

what is democracy?
about the (im)possibility of democracy under capitalism. doc consists of many different takes on democracy- from syrian refugees, to miami medics and doctors, to formerly incarcerated latinos, to hyper-privileged college republicans. contemporary athens, greece, plays a starring role, as the ground on which director astra taylor anchors/contextualizes her big questions.

i could watch silvia frederici talk about the power dynamics of medieval murals all day long

Vision Portraits
a filmmaker, a photographer, a dancer and a writer talk about making art about their blindness. incredibly moving testimonies and beautiful, poetic images that try to replicate for the audience what it is like to see without vision.

walt whitman

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley