last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby relevee » Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm

mike’s murder (1984) - james bridges
excellent film. sun-baked, coke-psychosis LA presented without a lick of glamour. debra winger is awesome. my only quibble is that its obvious the studio recut the film to occur chronologically when bridges had a back n forth in time approach that would've served the film far better

his motorbike, her island (1986) - nobuhiko obayashi

a better tomorrow (1986) - john woo

a brutal game (1983) - jean-claude brisseau

her smell (2018) - alex ross perry
far, far better than ARP's last two experiments. the self-consciously verbose monologues actually have home in this film. and as usual ARP is as good as his collaborations are. well acted across the board and it looks real good.
Last edited by relevee on Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
relevee

Postby naturemorte » Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Long day's journey into night: the cinematic equivalent of the obnoxious virtuoso at the karaoke bar.
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby relevee » Wed May 15, 2019 12:20 am

noce blanche (1989) - jean-caude brisseau

la collectionneuse (1967) - eric rohmer
relevee

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed May 15, 2019 12:31 am

naturemorte wrote:Long day's journey into night: the cinematic equivalent of the obnoxious virtuoso at the karaoke bar.

thank you
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby goofjan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

tried to watch The Wandering Earth on netflix. couldn't make it to the end. visually impressive but I couldnt engage with it at all.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Plainsong » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

The Beguiled (1971)- Don Siegel
Really liked this, all the performances were amazing, especially from Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman, and Mae Mercer.
The Lodger: A Story Of The London Fog (1927)- Alfred Hitchcock
Really liked this.

Plainsong

Postby walt whitman » Wed May 15, 2019 1:47 pm

hey! speaking of hitchcock...

gahh so good. 5/5
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby naturemorte » Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

lol, the end of long day's journey into night specifically reminded me of the green fog's infinitely more creative tribute to vertigo
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby galactagogue » Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm

man a lot of good movies lately. how many of these guys are from the drop?? or where are people watching??
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby jefe górgory » Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 pm

lol i just got back from long day's journey into night and i really loved it (which is very post/naturemorte's sig of me to say) but yeah i thought it was pretty spectacular... naturemorte and landspeedrecord, are there any other films that you think attempt similar and have more successful results?
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby naturemorte » Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Hmm I just felt like it was an art house pastiche (lots of Wong/early Hou, some tarkovsky/sokurov, some apichatpong, an unfortunate portion of "enter the void"). I was reminded of "ash is purest white," both stylistically and thematically, and that film is a much better...
I feel like the memory/dream/reality shit is just so so basic, "mirror" felt like a key reference, but if you want to see a newer film that plays with these layers of reality in a much more formally interesting and innovative way, check out anocha suwichakornpong's "by the time it gets dark"

naturemorte

Postby Honk For Dracula » Thu May 16, 2019 12:05 am

thanks for the rec nm. i also thought that LDJIN was a bit try-hard but i mostly enjoyed it

Honk For Dracula

Postby jefe górgory » Thu May 16, 2019 7:36 am

yeah, thanks nm. i've been meaning to check out apichatpong and Ash, so i think i will soon. i think my experience was pretty colored by having a lot of thoughts from the billy lynn's long halftime walk blank check episode clattering around in my head while watching LDJIN so i was really thrilled to get this style theater experience. anyway, i appreciate the post, i'll check those out.

jefe górgory

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am

naturemorte wrote:Hmm I just felt like it was an art house pastiche (lots of Wong/early Hou, some tarkovsky/sokurov, some apichatpong

this was my main takeaway

I liked kaili blues but think that's mostly because the rural setting distracted me from the lack of originality

long day's journey into night was just tepid masturbatory pseudo-philosophizing to me. gorgeous cinematography tho!

landspeedrecord

Postby naturemorte » Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm

see i didn't feel like it even looked that good! There were definitely some lovely moments, but lots of shots where--and i don't know if it was just the presentation in my theater or in the material--it looked like someone just dragged the "shadows" slider in Aftereffects all the way to the right. lots of digital noise and really unnatural detail in the shadows.

naturemorte

Postby walt whitman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm

galactagogue wrote:man a lot of good movies lately. how many of these guys are from the drop?? or where are people watching??

heh nah. im programming a fest this fall, so i get a lot of screeners- but many of the things i post have been out for a while/shown at other 'fests.

walt whitman

Postby jefe górgory » Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm

naturemorte wrote:see i didn't feel like it even looked that good! There were definitely some lovely moments, but lots of shots where--and i don't know if it was just the presentation in my theater or in the material--it looked like someone just dragged the "shadows" slider in Aftereffects all the way to the right. lots of digital noise and really unnatural detail in the shadows.

There were a couple instances where honestly it sort of felt like one of those interactive “4D” type things you go to at Disney world or something

jefe górgory

Postby mondrary » Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 pm

i have not seen long day's journey into night so i am sorry to break up the conversation but i would be very grateful if someone were to point me in the direction of this db? i'm not sure if i can pm yet? can i receive them? I don't know.

anyway i'm gonna echo recommendations of apichatpong even though i again have not seen the movie you're all talking about. syndromes and a century is one of my favorite films of all time.

the last movie i watched was public enemies and i thought it was good, undeserving of the trashing it seems to get everywhere else. the action scene that goes through the woods is absolutely incredible in particular.
TradePascalSiakam Free Kyrie Irving wrote:Hell I tell chicks my middle name

mondrary

Postby aububs » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 am

mondrary I think you need 200 posts, maybe 250....maybe 500?

you need more posts, and then the world will open up
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am

yeah. keep posting, youngblood

landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm

fell asleep two times during long day's journey into night. hoping third time's a charm lol

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

looking at screenshots without the leaden acting or cryptic dialogue might be more entertaining, mondrary

walt whitman

Postby Pris » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

galactagogue wrote:man a lot of good movies lately. how many of these guys are from the drop?? or where are people watching??

My main sources

Code: Select all
http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.com/
Mega archive of everything

http://scalisto.blogspot.com/
Somewhat curated, huge archive

https://rarelust.com/
This is a lot of b-movies, exploitation, but also surprisingly a lot of classics. Only downside is a slow download site.

Pris

Postby Repo » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Pris wrote:

My main sources

http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.com/
Mega archive of everything

http://scalisto.blogspot.com/
Somewhat curated, huge archive

https://rarelust.com/
This is a lot of b-movies, exploitation, but also surprisingly a lot of classics. Only downside is a slow download site.

also:
http://worldscinema.org/

Repo

Postby carlagain » Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 pm

I was a somewhat disappointed by Long Days Journey too. I think naturemorte has overstated the pastiche a little bit, I think the director does have ideas of his own that he’s built on from the previous movie, which I loved, but it feels like a little bit of an immature work, and that’s why the reference bits stand out as pretty :eyeroll: , especially that shot that rips off the Stalker ending. At the same time though, I just love Art house movies, they make me feel OK. I’m pretty down with the long take and the ending... relishing in the power of cinema is almost always my thing. But by far my biggest problem with the movie is that the protagonist is just not compelling, and it’s so.... hetero. The soundtrack and the narration... pretty bad. Still, I like some of the bits of dialogue and thinking about the movie and movies. Also, subtitles disrupt the illusion of 3D in a pretty big way.

carlagain

Postby aububs » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm

murders, deceit, crazed french sex, everyone wearing lagerfeld outfits. i liked it. then i had a smoke in the garden

second image is great but a genuine spoiler

ImageToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Milk » Fri May 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Watched Blackhat. By far Michael Mann's worst film. Ridiculous and irredeemable.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Milk » Fri May 17, 2019 6:32 pm

aububs wrote:murders, deceit, crazed french sex, everyone wearing lagerfeld outfits. i liked it. then i had a smoke in the garden

second image is great but a genuine spoiler

ImageToggle Spoiler

check out La Femme infidèle if you haven't already.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby mellowgold » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Gloria Bell
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm

i watched Golden Exits and i liked it and Image
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley