last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby broodstar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:11 am

definitely need to see domino asap even though I have no aspirations for its greatness
🄱🄰🅁🅂.

broodstar

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am

O-bi, O-ba: The End of Civilization (Szulkin, 1985)

There's the clear inspiration of silent film here, down to the nearly constant blue tinting, it's a solid eastern bloc science fiction entry if you're into the genre/aesthetic though not one so great I would recommend it to people who are not. It's too fully sardonic to really be a black comedy, set underground after a nuclear war has ended the damn world, somehow I'm reminded more of Day of the Dead here than anything else. As one of those, The Final Breakdown of a Desperately Clinging Post-Apocalyptic Society, it has things that work well, and some threads that don't. Great set design, well photographed, a little thin.

palmer eldritch

Postby Mesh » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am

Hobson's Choice (Lean, 1954)

Threw this on to entertain my mom, who always will deal with anything remotely upstairs/downstairs and/or British parlor. Lean did every kind of movie and fucked up little. There's even a touch of the supernatural in here, which reminds me that I watched and liked Blithe Spirit too.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby aububs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:56 am

brightburn sucked but I liked it

I hope they make 72 sequels
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby sleigh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:48 am

REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby futurist » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:59 am

what do you like about noir? i feel like that list is more of a "films that made an impact" list.

film noirs are the greatest thing to happen to film but are so often pigeonholed.

futurist

Postby Mesh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 am

futurist wrote:what do you like about noir? i feel like that list is more of a "films that made an impact" list.

No, that's a pretty typical and basic list of neo-noirs.

Mesh

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 am

mesh, what is even the point of making a post like that?

personally, I've never seen the late show, so I got something out of it

sleigh, I would start with chinatown, the long goodbye, & night moves if you haven't seen any of those

if you're looking for films that fit the neo-noir subgenre that are not on that list of (mostly seminal, as futurist pointed out) films, there are many of us who would be more than happy to make some recs
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am

point blank rules

palmer eldritch

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 am

if you want to do a sick impressionist neo-noir double feature watch point blank and the limey back-to-back

landspeedrecord

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:50 am

landspeedrecord wrote:if you want to do a sick impressionist neo-noir double feature watch point blank and the limey back-to-back

This is a rad idea

delgriffith

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 am

I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 am

oh shit and if you like Body Heat and Night Moves you gotta see A Flash of Green with Ed Harris. 1950s set Florida newspaper noir. incredible film.

goofjan

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 am

goofjan wrote:I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.

oh shit and if you like Body Heat and Night Moves you gotta see A Flash of Green with Ed Harris. 1950s set Florida newspaper noir. incredible film.

I like the missing person. afaik no other film talks about the idea of someone using 9/11 to vanish/go into hiding, and I thought that was coolToggle Spoiler

never seen a flash of green. thx for the rec

landspeedrecord

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

last night i watched donna haraway's Storytelling for Earthly Survival

it was great to hear her talk and just see her animus but the filming/editing was noticeably weak and amateurish. didn't mind that much though since it meant the motor was the content of her ideas and her kinda manic articulation. a great bed time watch. do wish the visuals were less goofy at certain moments, but i appreciated others lol (see image above)
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby forest design » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am

goofjan wrote:I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.

You sure that's the title? Not coming up with anything on IMDB.

Also, if you liked Missing Persons I def recommend checking out Buschel's other films. That's the only Noir he's done, but they're all great.

forest design

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:13 am

I think A Flash of Green was a PBS American Playhouse production. (and I dont know what that means lol.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087267/

oh yeah I'd love to see Buschel's other films. I seem to remember people here recommending Glass Chin.

goofjan

Postby Mesh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:44 am

landspeedrecord wrote:mesh, what is even the point of making a post like that?

Now I'm not sure. I read futurist like he was saying that that list was not noirs or something. What was he saying, anyways? Sorry?

edit: also "basic" is not pejorative in my world, if that helps

Mesh

Postby iacus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Mesh wrote:

Now I'm not sure. I read futurist like he was saying that that list was not noirs or something. What was he saying, anyways? Sorry?

you didn't say anything wrong mesh, landspeed enjoys playing the scold
(there was a hyperbole)

iacus

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm

well if you pay that much attention to my posts to care, then I must be doing something right

landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm

galactagogue wrote:Image

last night i watched donna haraway's Storytelling for Earthly Survival

it was great to hear her talk and just see her animus but the filming/editing was noticeably weak and amateurish. didn't mind that much though since it meant the motor was the content of her ideas and her kinda manic articulation. a great bed time watch. do wish the visuals were less goofy at certain moments, but i appreciated others lol (see image above)

gosh i love her
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

iacus wrote:
Mesh wrote:

you didn't say anything wrong mesh, landspeed enjoys playing the scold

it's hard not to read basic as derisive over text these days
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 pm

alien 3 - thanks db!

arguably best lookin alien since the original & you have to love those gothic fincher vibes

the script is complete dogshit though (5 people worked on it?!) and the voices are inaudible. poorly cast- bsides weaver.

doesnt hold up!

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm

the beach bum - MOTY

walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:33 pm

ha really? why'd you like it so much?

I loved the first third, but once it started getting more narrative-heavy I lost interest

landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm

jonas mekas once said andy warhol's were the "happiest" movies ever, elevating the meaningless and the absurd into art, and generating an innocent, child-like spectator.
harmony korine has been working in that warholian tradition since trash humpers and i'm for it.

walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

I can dig that

landspeedrecord

Postby sleigh » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:39 am

futurist wrote:what do you like about noir? i feel like that list is more of a "films that made an impact" list.

film noirs are the greatest thing to happen to film but are so often pigeonholed.

i think what i like about noirs is that it's just constant candy and treats. usually visually interesting, snappy dialogue, puzzley plots. but i don't know? i hadn't really thought about til you asked. on a psych level i think there's something very satisfying about conspiracyish plotting spooling order out of chaos that appeals to me as someone whose life is very unstructured.

so of that list i've seen brick, point blank, la confidential, chinatown, the long goodbye, in ascending order of how much i liked them. long goodbye might be outright my favorite movie if that helps, and i still liked brick a lot. in fact my favorite monologue in any of those might be the one at the end of brick. not included on that list but films that scratch the same sort of itch for me are the player, the nice guys, and ocean's eleven, all of which i really love.

bout to watch the limey right now, having just watched point blank :)

landspeedrecord wrote:if you're looking for films that fit the neo-noir subgenre that are not on that list of (mostly seminal, as futurist pointed out) films, there are many of us who would be more than happy to make some recs

yes i would love this. i'll take any and all reccs pleeease -- goofjan, thanks for yours
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby Plainsong » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am

Night Moves (2013)- Kelly Reichardt
Really liked this.
Nightmare Alley (1947)- Edmund Goulding
Real solid noir.
Nouvelle Vague (1990)- Jean-Luc Godard
Really liked this.
Of Human Bondage (1934)- John Cromwell
This ruled, Bette Davis owned this like no one else.

Plainsong

Postby nosebleeds » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am

Back on the subject of neo-noirs, I'd recommend Miller's Crossing and the Outfit.

I saw the Outfit a few years back. It's a mean little movie with Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker teaming up against the mob.

Oh yeah, Red Rock West with Nic Cage is a good one too.

nosebleeds

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley