last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Gnarls » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:18 pm

The Underneath is my favorite of the spate of 90s neo-noirs. It looks really good; an aspect of film noir that people love to forget!

Gnarls

Postby deadbass » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 pm

A couple weeks ago I saw Still Walking (2008) for the first time and it has really stuck with me. I think it's one of my favourite movies.

I keep listening to this youtube w/ the cicadas and the film score and dialogue and it really evokes a feeling:

deadbass

Postby sleigh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 am

logging recent watches:

kiss kiss bang bang - actually nothing about this movie has aged well. well kilmer and monaghan were fun at least. actually i started typing this as the movie was ending and holy shit this ending. wooooooof

blood simple - hm i would not have put this on a noir list. much more of like a psych thriller/suspense flick to me. didn’t do nearly as much for me as the others i’ve seen since i started this kick, or other coens.

point blank - ruled. a version of this where the lead isn’t some kind of superman would be a pretty ideal watch for me. pissed i watched kkbb tonight instead of the lorry which i have been lead to believe is in this vein

la conf - ruled. weird to see that 90s period look. why did movies look like then? everything is like.... kind of shiny. anyways totally besides the point i loved everything about this movie. maybe i should just revise this kick to ellroy adaptions
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 pm

The Box (Kelly, 2009)

Rewatched The Box cause it's on netflix and I hadn't seen it in years and was wondering, as an unapologetic fan of Richard Kelly, how it holds up. Overall, pretty well, and idk it seems to me like this movie is a strong refutation of the notion that Kelly is a "bad" director who can only make a good movie by accident. Yes someone said that in another thread, I'm not trying to subtweet here, it's something I think is reasonable to wonder aloud. Here he's purposefully restraining himself, but honestly this is probably his most Well Made movie depending on what you think that terminology might mean. Everything is put together well, this isn't Vanilla Sky or something. He runs through what would be a pretty good remake of the twilight zone episode, and then has an hour of runtime to go, so he starts filling in the story with Richard Kelly shit and it's actually a fairly well done spiraling outward even if it likely doesn't make any real sense. Do science fiction movies have to make sense? Would it make them better? It's maybe not a truly great movie, but it's pretty good, I think.

also, the opening scene from Cabin in the Woods

palmer eldritch

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm

As far as neo noirs go, I highly recommend The Silent Partner if you haven't seen it. An extremely overlooked movie IMO.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby creedence tapes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I gotta get in on watching some Richard Kelly movies again asap. Hes popped up a few times recently on here.

Specifically in the lynch thread it reminded me how much he aped him in Donnie darko. When I watched that a couple years ago I picked up on him doing that, which is something I totally missed when I was younger and watched all Kelly’s movies.

So now I’m thinking, damn now that my brains all fucked up from aging maybe I’ll vibe even harder with this idiots movies.
creedence tapes

Postby Mesh » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am

I agree about The Box. Darko Director's Cut showed his weaknesses, Southland had his massive upside, The Box is a perfectly confident, assured storytell.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm

just watched Bisbee '17. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I knew the premise, thought it would be interesting but a little corny. Instead I was blown away by pretty much everything.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby relevee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 pm

les choses de la vie (1970) - claude sautet

la ciénaga (2001) - lucrecia martel
impressive. a bunuelian social satire with amazing sound design throughout. also one of the most palpably humid and sweaty films i can think of alongside something like DAYS OF BEING WILD (1990)

le petit criminel (1990) - jacques doillon

rolling thunder revue: a bob dylan story by martin scorsese (2019) - martin scorsese
i could do without the wellesian trick of playing with the mythology but all of the restored '75 tour footage is total balm for me. could watch hours of that stuff

in the shadow of women (2015) - philippe garrel
hard to find a fault in this. the mistress, the cheater, his wife and her lover. perhaps the closet garrel has come to hong sang-soo. the boorish and cruel male lead, the precise mis en scene and managing to be one of the few artists who can successfully shoot on digital yet harness all of the advantages of light and texture that b&w can do

belly (1998) - hype williams
stunning. i can't think of anything in american cinema this singular in how uniquely formal and visually expressive this is. i can only think of someone like eastwood, ferrara or cimino who achieves such texture and emotion with how they shoot
relevee

Postby antoine » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 pm

US (2019) - I liked this a lot more than Get Out. Seems like a much more assured and mature film in almost every regard. Just a really solid and interesting horror movie with great performances and it's beautifully staged and shot. i laughed a lot too. 8/10.

antoine

Postby aububs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 am

new godzilla movie was ok. had some nice monster imagery

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:45 am

and i managed to convince myself that dark phoenix was good for most of the runtime but it wasn't, it was bad
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby forest design » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 am

relevee wrote:Image
belly (1998) - hype williams
stunning. i can't think of anything in american cinema this singular in how uniquely formal and visually expressive this is. i can only think of someone like eastwood, ferrara or cimino who achieves such texture and emotion with how they shoot

Yeah, watched this again recently as well and was pretty struck by how distinctive it is. Really wish he would make another feature

forest design

Postby Plainsong » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 am

One Sings, The Other Doesn't (1977)- Agnes Varda
Loved this.
Pandora's Box (1929)- G.W. Pabst
This ruled, Brooks was awesome as usual, as was the rest of the cast.
Red Road (2006)- Andrea Arnold
Brutal and compelling.
Scorpio Rising (1963)- Kenneth Anger
Loved this, especially the imagery and music.

Plainsong

Postby futurist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 pm

Mesh wrote:
landspeedrecord wrote:mesh, what is even the point of making a post like that?

Now I'm not sure. I read futurist like he was saying that that list was not noirs or something. What was he saying, anyways? Sorry?

edit: also "basic" is not pejorative in my world, if that helps

no my point was only that noirs have a broad thematic scope, so i was curious what amigo specifically liked in a noir. noir is fun because in some circles it's a thematic descriptor, and in others it's aesthetic. a list like the one posted has some good films on it but i wouldn't go as far to say that if you like one film on that list you'd like the others.

futurist

Postby futurist » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm

this is one of my favorite pieces of film studies

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Spaces-Mode ... 0674013468

(sorry image was huge)

futurist

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

I saw dark Phoenix last week and I don’t know anything about comics but I do like the x-men movies a bit. I liked this a lot? I couldn’t believe how dragged it was. It’s kinda like the Vox Lux of comic book movies? Idk
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Plainsong » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Shoplifters (2018)- Hirokazu Kore-eda
Beautiful and heartbreaking all at once.
Soy Cuba (1964)- Mikhail Kalatozov
Really liked this, the cinematography is goddamn amazing.
Taipei Story (1985)- Edward Yang
Yeah, this ruled.

Plainsong

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Glad you got around to I Am Cuba! One of my favorite movies.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Plainsong » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:32 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Glad you got around to I Am Cuba! One of my favorite movies.

So am I, it was well worth the wait, those american accents are so bad though haha.

Plainsong

Postby junebug » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:11 am

dolor y gloria // pain and glory (2019) - pedro almodóvar

very restrained. feels like a thematic departure while at the same time being heavily self-referential. almodóvar heads will enjoy it. not sure if it'll be the best introduction for people unfamiliar with his films.

wig (2019) - chris moukarbel

lady bunny is an icon. this is essential viewing for anyone interested in new york history, queerness, drag, etc.

junebug

Postby futurist » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 am

futurist

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 am

bunejug wrote:Image

wig (2019) - chris moukarbel

lady bunny is an icon. this is essential viewing for anyone interested in new york history, queerness, drag, etc.

did you get bummed out at all while watching this that you couldn't live in that scene in the 80s or am i just a weirdo
i mean obvious 80s was also a terrible time in reagan's america and AIDS, but I even feel this way about Act Up meetings, etc, I wish I was there
maybe it's because it stands in such juxtaposition to the climate right now with corporate rainbow-washing everywhere and oversaturation, maybe i kinda envy that time when queers were still outcast freaks and that common enemy thing woman rabbit mentions once in this film. of course there are still common enemies still today, maybe more, but the community isn't really united against them or politically minded

rixx

Postby futurist » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 am

RIXX you RUINED my JOKE

;)

futurist

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 am

this was used sooooo well in the film omg

rixx

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 am

futurist wrote:Image

8-)
i will not toop & boop a friend of mine, no sir

rixx

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:38 am

also i want to note in that TOOP above that obviously its coming from a place of extreme like, cis white gay privilege, i can recognize that while also feeling wistful about that time i guess, it's complicated!

i just recently had a conversation with my therapist who also does LGBTQ substance abuse research and he was telling me all about Gilead and PrEP and increasing HIV/AIDS rates in minority populations and it just seems like we've forgotten how to mobilize our community politically like in the ACT UP days, that common enemy thing, etc. i dont understand why Pride 2019 isn't completely aimed at awareness about how fucked up it is that we have the ability right now to end AIDS entirely and corporate greed prevents that from happening

rixx

Postby junebug » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 am

eh, I feel like brooklyn drag has retained a lot of the spirit of what I've seen from east village 80s drag. bushwig has no corporate sponsors and is going on its 8th year this summer. go to metropolitan on a sunday afternoon for merrie cherry's bbq and you'll feel that same communal queer love depicted in the doc. I went there the day after the pulse shooting and it was as welcoming and as safe of a space as one could wish for. there are lots of people, drag queens in particular, who are doing the heavy lifting in new york to keep the queer community vibrant and tolerant.

financialization and its accompanying corporate greed is a much more difficult enemy to locate and mobilize against than the reagan administration was in terms of being a palpable threat to queer livelihoods. there are lots of groups resisting it, though they might not be solely gay/queer, and I think you'd find that sort of political community you're yearning for from this doc. I felt happy watching wig because it helped reinforce the idea that I am liberated, in part thanks to the performers from wigstock and the legacies they sedimented onto new york queer nightlife.

junebug

Postby rixx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 am

good post, thanks jb

bunejug wrote:I felt happy watching wig because it helped reinforce the idea that I am liberated, in part thanks to the performers from wigstock and the legacies they sedimented onto new york queer nightlife.

yeah I agree 100%, and it's something i've tried to work on over the past year or two, that whenever i meet and come face-to-face with an older queer performer or activist in this city, to ask questions and really communicate my genuine interest and respect and reverence in their lives and legacies. i do feel so much gratitude towards them. I guess what I was feeling while watching Wig was a yearning to be part of that liberation and to cement a legacy of my own in the lgbtq community and give back in some way, and I just haven't found that yet. but I also don't think I've tried as hard as I could, truthfully.

also thanks for the bushwig and metropolitan reccs, i'm gonna buy tix for bushwig in september now so I don't forget :)

rixx

Postby Pris » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 am

So for the cinema project where they asked me to pick a movie for screening, I ended up going for The Act of Killing. I had actually spent a long time making a shortlist of picks, with Ordet and The Honeymoon Killers near the top. But none of them were possible. Anyway, this is one crazy documentary. They're screening it in September, so I can take all summer building anxiety over having to introduce the film to a room full of people.

Pris

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley