last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Plainsong » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:05 am

landspeedrecord wrote:that they are

plainsong, you should check out the hired hand next if you haven't seen it

Got that on my list but thanks for the reminder.

Plainsong

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:06 am

it goes really well with those hellman films

also, it's a bit before these, but so does ride the high country
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Plainsong » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:12 am

landspeedrecord wrote:it goes really well with those hellman films

also, it's a bit before these, but so does ride the high country

Yeah Ride The High Country is awesome.

Plainsong

Postby Mesh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am

The Sweet Smell of Success

Absorbing Manhattan street shots, lots of cool theater and apartment interiors to get lost in, it was confusing for 20 minutes in a good way, and then I was 100% hooked. Didn't expect to like this so much.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 am

one of the most quotable films of all time!

"you're a cookie full of arsenic"

a textbook example of a work that gets better every time you see it
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby mystery meat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:14 pm

i like to imagine viewers at the time who were only familiar with swashbuckler beefcake Burt seeing him in Sweet Smell (not that he hadn't done darker/more challenging stuff before, but man he's so menacing in this)

mystery meat

Postby linoleum » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:09 pm

aububs wrote:
linoleum wrote:The Trail of ‘98 (1928)

Lots of fun. Rapids sequence was so cool

four stuntmen were killed during that sequence iirc. one of the worst tragedies in the history of film!

episode 5 of kevin brownlow's (incredible) series about old hollywood covers this incident and early hollywood stuntwork in general. completely nuts stuff. the whole series is on youtube, cannot recc it highly enough. start with episode 5

Wtf I hadn’t heard this! Thanks for the rec always looking for stuff to watch at down times at work and that’ll scratch that itch

Watched today:

Dry Summer (1964)
Never seen a Turkish movie from this era or any at all really but this was great. Like a Turkish western? I dunno just very engrossing flick

Doomsdays (2013)
Enjoyed this. Wanted to break into houses with all these characters! Doesn’t get too bogged down with emotional arcs or anything kept it simple.

House of Wax (1953)
Pretty boring. Loved the colours of it tho. Vincent Price is like usual good stuff. Kinda wanna see the remake a lot more haha

linoleum

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm

The main thing I remember about the remake is it felt very numetal even though it came out five years after numetal died.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:39 pm

booksmart was funny as hell. really showed what a complete piece of shit that 8th grade movie was

tgk

Postby jefe górgory » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Rewatched In the Mood For Love. Still perfect!
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:16 pm

I'd never seen When Harry Met Sally and uh... this movie is good!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Repo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:49 am

^^hell yeah
have you seen forget paris? similar vibe, great movie

Repo

Postby rixx » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 am

aububs wrote:

four stuntmen were killed during that sequence iirc. one of the worst tragedies in the history of film!

episode 5 of kevin brownlow's (incredible) series about old hollywood covers this incident and early hollywood stuntwork in general. completely nuts stuff. the whole series is on youtube, cannot recc it highly enough. start with episode 5

Watching this now, it’s really good thanks!

rixx

Postby rushedbehind » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:21 am

Sátántángo in a theatre. Two ten minute intermissions. I loved it!

rushedbehind

Postby shacky » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 am

rixx can you post about jc and endgame

shacky

Postby mellowgold » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:00 am

Copycat - I had a weird experience watching this movie at first. After the "Woman in the Window" drama from earlier this year, i started to read that book but could only make it through the first few chapters lol and didnt realize the author ripped off this movie so hard, which itself is a riff on Vertigo, Rear Window and The Silence of the Lambs except with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter. Not the best but a really fun and pulpy dawn-of-the-internet movie!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby goofjan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:06 am

I re-watched Baseketball- long story. I definitely miss those kinds of comedies that are just packed with jokes from the background to the foreground but this is maybe the worst example of that. It's like that genre's last dying breath. Everything is so labored, every joke is so telegraphed, and not in a charming way. In a lazy, groggy kind of way. It made me feel tired and achy. And of course it's filled with misogynistic, homophobic, and transphobic stuff.

I know this was probably not the best vehicle for them but wow Trey Parker and Matt Stone are so unappealing as actors. I think South Park is fine, whatever, and I've never had any strong feelings about those guys at all but this was definitely not the right path for them. Parker at least seems like he's trying. Stone gives off a very strong vibe that he'd rather be doing anything else than being in the movie.

The only funny part was a big photo of Ernest Borgnine smiling.

Oh and when I saw this in theaters they played it with the reels out of order making it one of the strangest theater going experiences of my life.
Last edited by goofjan on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:08 am

I watched that high out of my mind my freshman year of college and laughed my ass off. Hard to imagine being able to watch now.
furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:55 am

The Farewell - This is a wonderfully textured and lived-in movie. My grandma died two years ago and she was one of the most important people in my life so this blew me on my ass even though its rooted in a completely different culture. i love when a movie is from someone who, on paper, i have little in common with but im able to connect to the universality of the film. i really believe that's a mark of a great film/filmmaker. the themes of identity explored here are really cool and something i was not expecting. the cast is great (the movie is at its best when scenes between Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen play out) but shoutout to Diana Lin, who plays Awkwafina's mom. also, what an ending. i cant wait to see what Lulu Wang does next!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby emotional fascism » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:05 am

Repo wrote:^^hell yeah
have you seen forget paris? similar vibe, great movie

i like Forget Paris more because Billy Crystal's chicken parm obsession is very much my vibe

emotional fascism

Postby nice pass » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:10 am

I'll also vouch for Forget Paris (and Eddie!)

nice pass
ok

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 pm

i saw forget paris in the theaters

TWICE

glad to see the board has come around on a true classic

debra winger is a legend

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby ashtrayheart » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:39 pm

watched apollo 11 and it’s one of my favorite movies of all time!

ashtrayheart

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:48 pm

excited for 2028 when the board properly re-examines mr saturday night as a true cinema gem

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:59 pm

tgk wrote:booksmart was funny as hell. really showed what a complete piece of shit that 8th grade movie was

I had the exact opposite reaction to these movies lol. Found Booksmart very generic and predictable. Good performances from the leads and I guess an admirable nod to diversity (on some levels—everyone seemed more or less well off) but yeah I found Eighth Grade way more interesting. Much more compelling attempt to portray what that stage of life is like.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!

Slamwich Artist

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:05 pm

not sure why tgk felt the need to compare them just to put down eighth grade because they're like completely different movies with completely different intentions
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby gauchebag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:51 pm

RIXX wrote:
aububs wrote:

Watching this now, it’s really good thanks!

i just watched that episode 5, really good stuff. i remember watching another similar one that explained how they did some crazy shots in like buster keaton stuff. something really alluring about old-timey silent era hollywood.

gauchebag

Postby someguy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Bacurau is the first movie of the year I'm kind of ecstatic over, and I hope it enters Hipinion canon
apologies

someguy
ok

Postby jefe górgory » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 pm

mellowgold wrote:Image

The Farewell - This is a wonderfully textured and lived-in movie. My grandma died two years ago and she was one of the most important people in my life so this blew me on my ass even though its rooted in a completely different culture. i love when a movie is from someone who, on paper, i have little in common with but im able to connect to the universality of the film. i really believe that's a mark of a great film/filmmaker. the themes of identity explored here are really cool and something i was not expecting. the cast is great (the movie is at its best when scenes between Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen play out) but shoutout to Diana Lin, who plays Awkwafina's mom. also, what an ending. i cant wait to see what Lulu Wang does next!

Yeah loved this! I thought it was really beautifully done and really funny! Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen were fabulous together.
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:56 pm

mellowgold wrote:Image

Copycat - I had a weird experience watching this movie at first. After the "Woman in the Window" drama from earlier this year, i started to read that book but could only make it through the first few chapters lol and didnt realize the author ripped off this movie so hard, which itself is a riff on Vertigo, Rear Window and The Silence of the Lambs except with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter. Not the best but a really fun and pulpy dawn-of-the-internet movie!

Any chance of putting this in the DB? I remember watching it when it came out but I haven't seen it since.

I remember Conan did a segment making fun of it way back when.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley