last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm

For a pretty famous film this felt ramshackle and weird. Not necessarily in a good way. Humphrey does his thing well enough, the heist is alright, the ending is pretty thrilling, but all the relationships in this movie are weird. I get the idea, he falls for a (young) girl who's nice and straight and everything he's not, but he's destined to end up with the criminal broad (Lupino). But Lupino's character isn't really well written, first she's tough, then she cries at every little thing, then she's somewhere in between -- for a top billed role it's not a particularly interesting or meaty one. And the doe-eyed family he helps and the doe-eyed girl he creeps on, it's just all kinda off and not contributing to a greater whole.

Still, as far as heist action goes, pretty entertaining. 3/5

No Good Advice

Postby mellowgold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm

that final chase scene through the woods is really good and has always stuck with me. it was also funny to see that recreated sort of in True Detective Season 2 lol
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

some very good police chasing that's true

No Good Advice

Postby walt whitman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm

noé's like von trier for me; hate him, but ill see everything he does :shrug:
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby deadbass » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have any experience running a casual film series? I recently started doing a weekly film series at my apartment using facebook events. The first few were well attended, but it's petered out the last couple weeks and the future films don't have a ton of attendance. Most people don't really look at the event invites, and I'm sure people just get totally inured to it because I do them in batches of 4. Does anyone have any alternative method for promoting that sort of thing, or are Facebook events the best we've got?

Like, I wonder if it's better for me to just do the events one week at a time, but include a schedule in the event, so that they don't have to respond to so many things at once.

Thanks!!

deadbass

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:25 pm

watched Roma on the plane and it was v good. felt a little slow at times but i'm sensitive to movies longer than 100 minutes :P best of 2018 for me but I didn't really watch many 2018 releases because most looked bad

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby aububs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:43 pm

deadbass wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have any experience running a casual film series? I recently started doing a weekly film series at my apartment using facebook events. The first few were well attended, but it's petered out the last couple weeks and the future films don't have a ton of attendance. Most people don't really look at the event invites, and I'm sure people just get totally inured to it because I do them in batches of 4. Does anyone have any alternative method for promoting that sort of thing, or are Facebook events the best we've got?

Like, I wonder if it's better for me to just do the events one week at a time, but include a schedule in the event, so that they don't have to respond to so many things at once.

Thanks!!

a friend and i run a monthly midnight movie series for the past...i dunno 8 or 9 years. maybe not so casual as we screen in a theater but we started in less official spaces. when we began it was fortnightly but we found even that was too much for people. weekly is a heavy schedule and nobody's gonna do the same thing every single weekend. we've found monthly to be best and attendance figures stay p good, depending on what we're screening. we use facebook (which is pretty rubbish now thanks to their viewing algorithms and we never pay to promote posts because it's a waste of money), we use twitter, and we send out a monthly group email to subscribers. we used to make posters and put them up around town but don't really bother doing that anymore. it's hard to get asses on seats, sometimes compromises in movie selection are necessary if that's what yr after. the movies i get most excited about screening usually don't draw the biggest crowds.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby deadbass » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Yeah maybe every two weeks or monthly would be a better schedule. Thanks for the reply - very helpful.

deadbass

Postby walt whitman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm

deadbass wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have any experience running a casual film series? I recently started doing a weekly film series at my apartment using facebook events. The first few were well attended, but it's petered out the last couple weeks and the future films don't have a ton of attendance. Most people don't really look at the event invites, and I'm sure people just get totally inured to it because I do them in batches of 4. Does anyone have any alternative method for promoting that sort of thing, or are Facebook events the best we've got?

Thanks!!

as much as it pains me to say, it helps to have something 'extra' to a screening event, in addition to the movie itself. this extra could be live music accompaniment, costume party, a charity/nonprofit sponsor, specially themed dinner/booze combo, a Q&A, or- this obviously rarely works- if you can bring out the artist or someone associated w the film's production, that usually draws folks

presenting a film that is rarely shown, "orphan" status, or of a special format (analog rather than digital, multiscreen rather than single channel, etc)

basically, do whatever you can to make a screening a special live "event," rather than something you can do already at home.

cinema exhibition is tough as hell right now
Last edited by walt whitman on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:36 pm

presenting film in an unusual, site-specific location - a fire house, a punk club, an abandoned steel mill, etc- these are also extra

edit- an unsolicited recommendation: if you're a big nerd like me, and you enjoy research and want to learn more about cinema exhibition and curating, this is a great introduction to issues of film programming--

walt whitman

Postby i am rich » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 pm

mellowgold wrote:
i am rich wrote:overlord kiiiiiinda fuckin rules

I watched this last night and yes? It has no right being that good

someday the world will look back at 2018 as the year both overlord and upgrade were released, and will say "fuck yeah"
Eventsrova wrote:[b][size=14]Discover a World of farts

i am rich

Postby mellowgold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Ya overlord had me thinking of upgrade too
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Jeune femme (Leonor Serraille, 2017) - Great film! Thanks to aububs for recommending it. Anyone know what the title means? This is very sweet at times but for the most part it's horrifying. The way this woman is treated by men in it is crazy, but not unrealistic. She's real tough though; we're never shown her pain over any of the real gross stuff that happens to her. I love that this movie is partly about rough-sleeping.
furrowed brow

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 am

I just watched Can You Ever Forgive Me and it fucking sucked!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby rixx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 am

incoherent grunting wrote:I just watched Can You Ever Forgive Me and it fucking sucked!

Wow

rixx

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:34 am

Wow!
It was about as interesting as buttering a muffin
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby rixx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 am

wow...

rixx

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am

Woweeeee

incoherent grunting

Postby rixx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am

what did you dislike about it so strongly?

i haven't seen it yet i'll probably watch this weekend. but i've just seen like unanimous* praise for it, especially on this board

*until now

rixx

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 am

I thought it was really thin, one of those movies with absolutely no drama, just a series of expected events occurring one after another - and I came into it knowing nothing about the story. Where did she get the glass of whiskey in the book shop, did it just appear? Did they serve booze in book stores back then? The pre-mixed, pre-iced drinks at her agent's party... what's the deal with that? There was a two second cliche binge scene "on the town' where neon signs came in to focus. A "chin-chin" cameo. The third act and resolution were so unearned it made me LAUGH! Oh, one small spat and your man turns her in? The meeting with the lawyer and the speech in the court room - did any time pass? Did she do any soul searching? Did she get in shit for destroying evidence?Toggle Spoiler There was no sense of time in the whole movie, was this weeks, months, years?

It was a trash film, a mediocre sorry about a woman suffering from depression who wrote some letters. To her credit though, I thought McCarthy was uncharacteristically great

incoherent grunting

Postby rixx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 am

incoherent grunting wrote:I thought it was really thin, one of those movies with absolutely no drama, just a series of expected events occurring one after another - and I came into it knowing nothing about the story. Where did she get the glass of whiskey in the book shop, did it just appear? Did they serve booze in book stores back then? The pre-mixed, pre-iced drinks at her agent's party... what's the deal with that? There was a two second cliche binge scene "on the town' where neon signs came in to focus. A "chin-chin" cameo. The third act and resolution were so unearned it made me LAUGH! Oh, one small spat and your man turns her in? The meeting with the lawyer and the speech in the court room - did any time pass? Did she do any soul searching? Did she get in shit for destroying evidence?Toggle Spoiler There was no sense of time passing, was this weeks, months, years?

It was a trash film, a mediocre sorry about a woman suffering from depression who wrote some letters. To her credit I thought McCarthy was uncharacteristically great

interesting. well i will watch it tonight and get back atcha. maybe we'll be on the same page...maybe not...

rixx

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:02 am

:rixx:

incoherent grunting

Postby mellowgold » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am

Nonchoerent gruntings posts about can you ever forgive me makes me never want to watch another movie in my life

mellowgold

Postby Repo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 am

he didn't like it :?:

Repo

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:18 am

why, mg?

incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 am

weird how richard grant got a nomination for playing the same role he's played for the past 40 years

incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 am

ok that one was a joke, but

incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:37 pm

roma-
great. dunno why it took so long for me to see it. & damn, that Dolby Atmos soundtrack is rich. hopefully more small films explore the possibilities of dense sound design

walt whitman

Postby R C » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

I actually thought Climax....is Noe's best film? I dunno, I really enjoyed it.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby haddonfield » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Seconding the disappointment with can you ever forgive me, which is such a bummer because diary of a teenage girl was one of the best surprises I’ve had with movies in a while. So many different avenues to explore with forgery, and all it really goes with is, “look at these charming assholes.” And like, grant and mccarthy are charming, sure, but it just ends up feeling really dull.

haddonfield

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley