Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby carlagain » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:30 am

in a game a compulsion is a ruleToggle Spoiler
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:34 am

don't kill the man, catch the fish in your mindToggle Spoiler
carlagain

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 am

Memories of Underdevelopment (Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, 1968)

I've seen better movies about disaffected assholes who feel out of step with the world around them, but, as a documentary of 1960's Cuba, it's neat.

I watched the Criterion version of this. One of the supplements has an amusing anecdote about it winning a prize at US film festival in 1973. Gutiérrez was denied entry into the country to accept—something about fear that he was coming into the States to spread Communist propaganda—and Andrew Sarris, giving a speech at the festival to both honor the film and explain Gutiérrez's absence, said that the filmmaker was supressed and censored in Cuba and hadn't been allowed to make a film since. Absolutely none of that was true, and Gutiérrez was incensed when he learned Sarris had spewed such bullshit.

Eyeball Kid

Postby aububs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:46 am

sometimes you get the feeling with a lot of new movies that they're really trying to be the best movies they can be, that they are made in the hope of getting awards, or being recognised for their fresh direction or idiosyncratic approach to comedy or action or what have you, so it's nice, sometimes, to be reminded that some people will just churn out absolute bullshit like this, and make no attempt at quality whatsoever, just because they can

ImageToggle Spoiler
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby easy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am

a is jump wrote:Saw Cold War last night, and I really don't get the overwhelmingly positive reviews for it. It looked great, and had some good music in it, but ultimately it was just so hollow and devoid of anything approaching emotional resonance for me. Pretty much every time the story introduced a hook for a bit of emotional conflict, it completely abandoned it moments later. It wasn't romantic, it wasn't tragic, it wasn't sexy, it really wasn't much of anything.

spot-on take

easy
does it

Postby walt whitman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:57 pm

we are little zombies - this little film is pure dynamite, winning the most 'original' picture award at sundance 2019. four japanese teenagers lose their parents under mysterious circumstances. they join forces and wander the desolate, urban wasteland of tokyo in order to "look for their emotions" and figure out their lives. after losing their money they form a band in a landfill calling themselves 'we are little zombies' and they quickly become targeted by exploitative music industry folks, sputtering out just as soon as they become a cultural meme. the film is organized in chapters of an 8-bit role playing game, featuring a diverse soundtrack of metal, japanese noise rock, punk, and chiptunes. the director brings dynamism to the very emo plot by shooting every scene with a different camera or visual format, keeping it all fresh and kinetic. go see it!

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm

the mountain- probably my fave dramatic film at sundance this year. set sometime in 1950s rural america, jeff goldblum stars as a discredited lobotomist who practices controversial treatments (such as electroshock therapy) on women living in small towns dotting the countryside. he picks up a male assistant who photographs the female patients, but he eventually loses his cool after witnessing the doctor destroy the minds of so many. the plot gets super weird and creepy halfway through, so i won't spoil what happens, but it leads to one of the strangest, most alienating romance stories in all of film. the movie is just beautifully designed on every level. visually, it breaks with the pastel cliches of 50s america we've been shown in douglas sirk, etc. everything here is flat, beige and drained of all life. and the acting! phenomenal. Denis Lavant from Holy Motors stars as a hermaphrodite/intersex individual and his performance is more psychodrama than acting, per se, like something you'd see in Warhol's Chelsea Girls. very polarizing film at the 'fest, it will not leave you feeling good, or even feeling anything at all, which is a feat in its own right.

walt whitman

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:41 pm

sounds like an alverson! stoked
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby husbands » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 pm

sounds better than Entertainment
ROLL COAL

husbands

Postby Franco » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:08 pm

The Hustler is pretty good huh

Franco

Postby Ersaph » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:15 pm

I saw the Wife and Can You Ever Forgive Me. I thought both were underrated and better than most Oscar pics minus ASIB and Roma
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Everyone Else (Maren Ade, 2009) - The second Ade I've seen and, while I didn't love this one as much as Toni Erdmann, the filmmaking is just as masterful. She is a really terrific filmmaker, imo. Her sense of subtlety is brilliant; both films have such complex emotional layers lying just beneath the surface of the action and dialogue. I found the ending to this one rather ambiguous. I'm not quite sure what to take from it.

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig, 2017) - Exceeded very high expectations. This film is so totally in control of itself in the way that the best Oscar-y Hollywood films are, but it also has a unique, interesting voice, and one very unlike that of either film Gerwig wrote with Baumbach. I think the ending is happy only to the extent that, I guess Christine learns something important about her love for her mother. However, their relationship difficulties will likely only be healed by time and individuation. If she has the confidence to come into herself, I see a bright future for Christine, who seems a smart, socially adept, empathetic, interesting and interested person, but her family's issues are likely to continue, and, depending upon what exactly we're to take from her reverting back to her birth name, she might be regressing in terms of her individuation from her mother. Whatever happens, I don't think this film gives us a straight forward happy ending with all the tensions that have driven the story resolved, and I admire it for that.

furrowed brow

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:24 pm

furrowed brow wrote:Everyone Else (Maren Ade, 2009) - The second Ade I've seen and, while I didn't love this one as much as Toni Erdmann, the filmmaking is just as masterful. She is a really terrific filmmaker, imo. Her sense of subtlety is brilliant; both films have such complex emotional layers lying just beneath the surface of the action and dialogue. I found the ending to this one rather ambiguous. I'm not quite sure what to take from it.

You should def watch her first one, The Forest for the Trees.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm

I want to! I can't seem to find a good download though.

furrowed brow

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm

furrowed brow wrote:I want to! I can't seem to find a good download though.

Pretty sure it’s on kanopy, if you have access to that
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Rester Vertical is a crazy memory, hard to believe that movie exists as i saw it
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

i watched Patrick Keiller's London last night, which I loved. more of this kind of stuff, less contemporary stuff that makes me feel insane. I'm going to rewatch it today. Is there other good Marker-wave kind of stuff? damn
carlagain

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:I want to! I can't seem to find a good download though.

Pretty sure it’s on kanopy, if you have access to that

omg, how do I not know about this? christ, I don't even have a library card, but now I've got a really good reason to get one.

furrowed brow

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Wildlife (2018)

Didn't rush to see this, but I liked it quite a bit. Found some parts of it quite moving, (when they take the drive to see the fire), but I think Dano just lacked a bit of experience in the second half. He gave the actors a lot of room to work, so those performances were excellent, especially Gyllenhaal nearing the end. I don't think I'll forgive his delivery of 'BOY BOY BOY BOY........BOY BOY'.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 am

The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 am

That film purportedly made $1,410 in theaters.

furrowed brow

Postby Slamwich Artist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:46 pm

furrowed brow wrote:The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.

i dug the ugliness. you might be right that it reflects the low budget as much as any kind of artistic choice, but still, fit the theme.

i think she's just that lonely lol... and has this ideal social life in her head, largely based on sex and the city, that tina fit into. i mean idk probably meant to be a little ambiguous.
Slamwich Artist

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.

i dug the ugliness. you might be right that it reflects the low budget as much as any kind of artistic choice, but still, fit the theme.

i think she's just that lonely lol... and has this ideal social life in her head, largely based on sex and the city, that tina fit into. i mean idk probably meant to be a little ambiguous.

Yeah, I mean, I get that. I can imagine acting that way out of the need for some comfort. It's funny how she hates when her male suitor talks about nothing but work on their date, but then she talks so much about it herself to others/tina. Forest for the Trees, huh? Interesting title. I love in the end when she climbs into the back of the car she is driving; I have nightmares all the time where I realize that I'm "driving" a car from the back seat. Ade is maybe my favorite working director, now that I think of it. I really hope she makes more films.

furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Watched and rewatched a bunch of Coen brothers movies

Inside Llewyn Davis - good!
A Serious Man (rewatch) - great! their best movie!
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (rewatch) - i LOVED this movie when i saw it in middle school but it's kind of boring. it's ok!
The Big Lebowski - Bad! not for me.
Burn After Reading - great!!!!
No Country for Old Men (rewatch) - did not like this when i first saw it over a decade ago but i liked it way more on a rewatch now. good!
Raising Arizona - ok!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Have you seen Barton Fink?

edit: my coen rankings:

A Serious Man
Barton Fink (been a while)
Fargo ( been a while)
Big Lebowski (it's funny imo)
No Country for Old Men
Raising Arizona (been a long time)
Burn After Reading (saw in theaters, liked it)
Blood Simple (barely remember any of this. guy gets shot in the nuts tho, gross!Toggle Spoiler)
Last edited by furrowed brow on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 pm

i have not!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby antoine » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm

The Blair Witch (2016) - Fucking terrible. Found footage is such a shit genre. Straight remake of the first but with a bunch of actors who look like they belong in an iPhone commercial. Blech. 3/10.

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) - When they first enter into Chernobyl I was kind of with it. Some decent atmosphere and I liked the Yuri character. Then it gets silly and bad. Not a good movie. 5/10.

The Ritual (2018) - I was loving this for about the first 2/3rds of the movie. Loved the location, beautiful cinematography, creepy atmosphere, and the acting was pretty good. Then the last act totally let me down. The monster is always scarier when you can't see it. This was so close to being amazing. Sigh. Still liked it quite a bit though. 7.5/10.

antoine

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....