Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Slamwich Artist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm

furrowed brow wrote:I want to! I can't seem to find a good download though.

Pretty sure it’s on kanopy, if you have access to that
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Rester Vertical is a crazy memory, hard to believe that movie exists as i saw it
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

i watched Patrick Keiller's London last night, which I loved. more of this kind of stuff, less contemporary stuff that makes me feel insane. I'm going to rewatch it today. Is there other good Marker-wave kind of stuff? damn
carlagain

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:I want to! I can't seem to find a good download though.

Pretty sure it’s on kanopy, if you have access to that

omg, how do I not know about this? christ, I don't even have a library card, but now I've got a really good reason to get one.
furrowed brow

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Wildlife (2018)

Didn't rush to see this, but I liked it quite a bit. Found some parts of it quite moving, (when they take the drive to see the fire), but I think Dano just lacked a bit of experience in the second half. He gave the actors a lot of room to work, so those performances were excellent, especially Gyllenhaal nearing the end. I don't think I'll forgive his delivery of 'BOY BOY BOY BOY........BOY BOY'.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 am

The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 am

That film purportedly made $1,410 in theaters.
furrowed brow

Postby Slamwich Artist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:46 pm

furrowed brow wrote:The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.

i dug the ugliness. you might be right that it reflects the low budget as much as any kind of artistic choice, but still, fit the theme.

i think she's just that lonely lol... and has this ideal social life in her head, largely based on sex and the city, that tina fit into. i mean idk probably meant to be a little ambiguous.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!
Slamwich Artist

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Slamwich Artist wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2003) - So this is an ugly looking film and not in a good way. Looks like early, cheap digital. But the story and the writing are certainly there for her from the beginning. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you think Melanie wants to fuck Tina or is she really just that lonely and desperate for a friend? Man, quite a bleak film. I'm glad my high school wasn't like that.

i dug the ugliness. you might be right that it reflects the low budget as much as any kind of artistic choice, but still, fit the theme.

i think she's just that lonely lol... and has this ideal social life in her head, largely based on sex and the city, that tina fit into. i mean idk probably meant to be a little ambiguous.

Yeah, I mean, I get that. I can imagine acting that way out of the need for some comfort. It's funny how she hates when her male suitor talks about nothing but work on their date, but then she talks so much about it herself to others/tina. Forest for the Trees, huh? Interesting title. I love in the end when she climbs into the back of the car she is driving; I have nightmares all the time where I realize that I'm "driving" a car from the back seat. Ade is maybe my favorite working director, now that I think of it. I really hope she makes more films.
furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Watched and rewatched a bunch of Coen brothers movies

Inside Llewyn Davis - good!
A Serious Man (rewatch) - great! their best movie!
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (rewatch) - i LOVED this movie when i saw it in middle school but it's kind of boring. it's ok!
The Big Lebowski - Bad! not for me.
Burn After Reading - great!!!!
No Country for Old Men (rewatch) - did not like this when i first saw it over a decade ago but i liked it way more on a rewatch now. good!
Raising Arizona - ok!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Have you seen Barton Fink?

edit: my coen rankings:

A Serious Man
Barton Fink (been a while)
Fargo ( been a while)
Big Lebowski (it's funny imo)
No Country for Old Men
Raising Arizona (been a long time)
Burn After Reading (saw in theaters, liked it)
Blood Simple (barely remember any of this. guy gets shot in the nuts tho, gross!Toggle Spoiler)
Last edited by furrowed brow on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:27 pm

i have not!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby antoine » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm

The Blair Witch (2016) - Fucking terrible. Found footage is such a shit genre. Straight remake of the first but with a bunch of actors who look like they belong in an iPhone commercial. Blech. 3/10.

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) - When they first enter into Chernobyl I was kind of with it. Some decent atmosphere and I liked the Yuri character. Then it gets silly and bad. Not a good movie. 5/10.

The Ritual (2018) - I was loving this for about the first 2/3rds of the movie. Loved the location, beautiful cinematography, creepy atmosphere, and the acting was pretty good. Then the last act totally let me down. The monster is always scarier when you can't see it. This was so close to being amazing. Sigh. Still liked it quite a bit though. 7.5/10.
antoine

Postby i am rich » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm

overlord kiiiiiinda fuckin rules
i am rich

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 am

saw noé's climax tonight. one of the stupidest movies i have ever seen. saw it in french with spanish subtitles, neither of which i understand, and i don't feel like i missed out on anything important. literally almost fell asleep in the theater at the climax of the film. so goddamn dumb and ugly and the possession ripoff scenes made me so angry
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 am

this was my first noé, i was unfamiliar with his whole deal and actually i hate it
chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 am

casting was great everything about the narrative and aesthetic was dumb
chowder julius

Postby walt whitman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:07 am

how were the opening credits tho
walt whitman

Postby crystal.migraine » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:27 am

They are like in any other Noé film too. This guy is such a pretentious piece of shit.
crystal.migraine

Postby aububs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:55 am

I've seen maybe half of noe's movies and like some of them, not so keen on others, but like this:

chowder julius wrote:saw it in french with spanish subtitles, neither of which i understand

p much invalidates any take for me, regardless of the movie lol
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby aububs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am

I went to see that battle angel alita movie last night. it's ok but be warned, they forgot to finish it.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby mellowgold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:00 am

i am rich wrote:overlord kiiiiiinda fuckin rules

I watched this last night and yes? It has no right being that good
mellowgold

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:02 am

I rewatched Showgirls last night.

I may be just getting stupider but while I'm not going to say it's a good movie, it was an extremely fun b movie and not even close to the worst movie of all time
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

I don't wanna go to school. I just wanna be a fool. Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby furrowed brow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 am

mellowgold wrote:
i am rich wrote:overlord kiiiiiinda fuckin rules

I watched this last night and yes? It has no right being that good

I remember the red letter guys being v into this.
furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:45 am

so, Bjork was in a film in 1990 called The Juniper Tree directed by a woman whose only other feature length, not for tv film was released posthumously and is literally unrated on imdb. huh. it's screening here soon, would go if I had money.
furrowed brow

Postby aububs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 am

edit, wrong thread
Last edited by aububs on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby aububs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 am

edit, wrong thread
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm

For a pretty famous film this felt ramshackle and weird. Not necessarily in a good way. Humphrey does his thing well enough, the heist is alright, the ending is pretty thrilling, but all the relationships in this movie are weird. I get the idea, he falls for a (young) girl who's nice and straight and everything he's not, but he's destined to end up with the criminal broad (Lupino). But Lupino's character isn't really well written, first she's tough, then she cries at every little thing, then she's somewhere in between -- for a top billed role it's not a particularly interesting or meaty one. And the doe-eyed family he helps and the doe-eyed girl he creeps on, it's just all kinda off and not contributing to a greater whole.

Still, as far as heist action goes, pretty entertaining. 3/5
No Good Advice

Postby mellowgold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm

that final chase scene through the woods is really good and has always stuck with me. it was also funny to see that recreated sort of in True Detective Season 2 lol
mellowgold

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

some very good police chasing that's true
No Good Advice

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....