Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am

Woweeeee
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby RIXX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 am

what did you dislike about it so strongly?

i haven't seen it yet i'll probably watch this weekend. but i've just seen like unanimous* praise for it, especially on this board

*until now
RIXX

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 am

I thought it was really thin, one of those movies with absolutely no drama, just a series of expected events occurring one after another - and I came into it knowing nothing about the story. Where did she get the glass of whiskey in the book shop, did it just appear? Did they serve booze in book stores back then? The pre-mixed, pre-iced drinks at her agent's party... what's the deal with that? There was a two second cliche binge scene "on the town' where neon signs came in to focus. A "chin-chin" cameo. The third act and resolution were so unearned it made me LAUGH! Oh, one small spat and your man turns her in? The meeting with the lawyer and the speech in the court room - did any time pass? Did she do any soul searching? Did she get in shit for destroying evidence?Toggle Spoiler There was no sense of time in the whole movie, was this weeks, months, years?

It was a trash film, a mediocre sorry about a woman suffering from depression who wrote some letters. To her credit though, I thought McCarthy was uncharacteristically great
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby RIXX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 am

incoherent grunting wrote:I thought it was really thin, one of those movies with absolutely no drama, just a series of expected events occurring one after another - and I came into it knowing nothing about the story. Where did she get the glass of whiskey in the book shop, did it just appear? Did they serve booze in book stores back then? The pre-mixed, pre-iced drinks at her agent's party... what's the deal with that? There was a two second cliche binge scene "on the town' where neon signs came in to focus. A "chin-chin" cameo. The third act and resolution were so unearned it made me LAUGH! Oh, one small spat and your man turns her in? The meeting with the lawyer and the speech in the court room - did any time pass? Did she do any soul searching? Did she get in shit for destroying evidence?Toggle Spoiler There was no sense of time passing, was this weeks, months, years?

It was a trash film, a mediocre sorry about a woman suffering from depression who wrote some letters. To her credit I thought McCarthy was uncharacteristically great

interesting. well i will watch it tonight and get back atcha. maybe we'll be on the same page...maybe not...
RIXX

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:02 am

:rixx:
incoherent grunting

Postby mellowgold » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am

Nonchoerent gruntings posts about can you ever forgive me makes me never want to watch another movie in my life
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Repo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 am

he didn't like it :?:
Repo

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:18 am

why, mg?
incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 am

weird how richard grant got a nomination for playing the same role he's played for the past 40 years
incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 am

ok that one was a joke, but
incoherent grunting

Postby walt whitman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:37 pm

roma-
great. dunno why it took so long for me to see it. & damn, that Dolby Atmos soundtrack is rich. hopefully more small films explore the possibilities of dense sound design
walt whitman

Postby R C » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

I actually thought Climax....is Noe's best film? I dunno, I really enjoyed it.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby haddonfield » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Seconding the disappointment with can you ever forgive me, which is such a bummer because diary of a teenage girl was one of the best surprises I’ve had with movies in a while. So many different avenues to explore with forgery, and all it really goes with is, “look at these charming assholes.” And like, grant and mccarthy are charming, sure, but it just ends up feeling really dull.
haddonfield

Postby walt whitman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:55 pm

R C wrote:I actually thought Climax....is Noe's best film? I dunno, I really enjoyed it.

ya im excited for it
walt whitman

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm

fascinating

the whole point of this movie is to accumulate global box office and definitely plays to a low common denominator but somehow i'm not mad at its lack of respect for me there's a weird art to its clinical approach and i appreciated it more than the mcu's openly smarmy way of ripping people off

and it definitely created a world i would have loved to explore more or at least taken even a few seconds every once in a while to let me digest

on the official sgp scorecard 'the wandering earth' gets 5.5 Sweet Gregory Pectins out of 10
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote:and it definitely created a world i would have loved to explore more or at least taken even a few seconds every once in a while to let me digest

there's a 5-10 minute stretch that is set in your deranged dreams after you eat too much red meat watch demolition man, the super marios bros movie, and blade runner at the same time and immediately pass out
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby object » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 pm

are the chinese making good films?
object

Postby pinkerton » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:53 pm

LEGO Movie 2 really bummed me out
pinkerton

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:02 pm

why's that? lol
furrowed brow

Postby deep blue meanies » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm

mahanagar (satyajit ray)

everything about this film is so beautiful.
deep blue meanies

Postby tgk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:10 pm

pinkerton wrote:LEGO Movie 2 really bummed me out

i actually liked it more than the first one. it still spent way too much time with chris pratts insufferably boring character, but the music was much better and tiffany haddish's queen was better than anything in the first movie.

tgk

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Awaiting rixx's comments on the big letter movie
incoherent grunting

Postby aububs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 am

pinkerton wrote:LEGO Movie 2 really bummed me out

same
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Vegetable » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:51 am

Watched Burning, and was liking it a lot until that ending. :? I was feeling like “finally, someone got the feel of Murakami right. The three main actors are great, and it got the main characters right. The protagonist was kind of bland as he should be, and the girl was super charming. Loved her miming eating the orange and her African dance. Then suddenly it’s turned into a bleak murder revenge flick, which I was not expecting only because it seemed like the filmmakers would be too smart for it. I guess they got me!Toggle Spoiler
Vegetable

Postby antoine » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) - This movie is so underrated. I don't get why people hate it. I mean, I do get it but there's a ton of great stuff in this, especially in the Assembly version which I hadn't seen before. Honestly think I like this better than Aliens, which I find cheesy in a lot of ways. The setup and the last 20 minutes of Aliens is amazing but I feel like it drags in the middle and the Marines kind of annoy me. The story in 3 is more intriguing and there's a lot of great character work. I especially love Charles Dance's performance. 8.5/10.
antoine

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm

It's always weird when I remember that's Fincher's first film. I've only ever seen ALien, I should fix that.
furrowed brow

Postby walt whitman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:09 pm

cold war was a mess
walt whitman

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

did anyone see that Chinese movie about pushing the Earth out of the solar system with giant jets placed around the world?
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:52 pm

well shit, I just saw pectin's post
Ferrous Bueller

Postby pinkerton » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

furrowed brow wrote:why's that? lol

Felt really uninspired. I kept looking at the time on my phone and was feeling antsy to leave for the last hour of the movie. Probably didn’t help being relatively drunk in a kid’s movie.

Also saw the Joni Mitchell 75th Birthday tribute concert last week. Was a little too long but there were some inspired covers. Seal brought the house down.
pinkerton

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....