landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am

it's a very uncomfortable and insane movie

palmer eldritch

Postby shacky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am

luv the marty

shacky

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 am

I saw If Beale Street Could Talk yesterday in the theater. Very beautiful movie and I loved it a lot. I think I'd put it just slightly below Moonlight but that's because Moonlight is fierce competition and I think the ending of Beale St was slightly weak in payoff. I really loved how intimate and close everything was
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

on friday I was casting about for a fun horror movie to watch with my gf and son and after they spent like 20 minutes all passively rejecting every suggestion I made, I got irritated and decided I was going onto my 2tb harddrive of movies and just grab the first one that jumped out at me. 'drag me to hell'? hey guys, daddy has decided what we're going to watch

and? it were awesome! we loved it. I remembered next to nothing about it and they hadn't seen it, and goddamn did we have fun. I'd forgotten just how sam raimi-ish it is, like some of the scenes are straight outta evil dead 2. excellent revival of a shoulda-been-a-classic-and-maybe-it-actually-is movie and is definitely worth a rewatch if you haven't seen it in ages

and then last night, gf and I watched 'the favourite' and I was in just the right mindset (and level of ingested vices) that I was on-board from the beginning and really enjoyed it

oh yeah, also watched 'free solo'. we enjoyed the sheer physicality of it. but I also had mellowgold's fierce admonishment that if you liked this, you were an awful person and were going onto a 'list' and would be called out and shamed. I tried finding out more yesterday but couldn't find anything on the google
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby aububs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am

I think with free solo it's just that honnold comes across as a douche? which doesn't cancel the documentary for me. the climbing is nuts and spectacular to watch thru yr fingers. I also think honnold def has some degree of Aspergers. would love for mellowgold or any of the other people who had a super negative reaction to it to expand on that tho

I think for a climbing documentary the dawn wall is just as good and tommy caldwell is a much nicer person than honnold (even tho, without spoiling, he has arguably done something infinitely worse than honnold has lol)

I haven't seen drag me to hell since theatres but I remember thinking it was very, very good
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby warmjets » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 am

Green Book

warmjets

Postby nosebleeds » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Sam Raimi directed Drag Me to Hell, BS.

nosebleeds

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 pm

yes I know. I was commenting on how 'drag' has many scenes that are very characteristic of his established slapstick style in evil dead 2, which other movies of his did less of

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Flying Leathernecks (Ray, 1951)

I grabbed this one to watch off a completisms list when I was too tired to scroll through everything. There's no real reason to watch it unless you really like Robert Ryan, I guess. Or John Wayne, for some reason. It's a sloppy movie, the aerial battles look like shit, and the domestic scenes are extremely embarrassing so thankfully there are few of them. The war in the pacific is fascinating but this has definitely got to be one of the least interesting movies I've seen that touch the subject matter.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:40 pm

La femme publique (Zulawski, 1984)

This one was all right, at least by Zulawski standards, does not feel quite as intense as most of his output that I've seen. A little muddled. But, still with some great sequences. To me, seems like it was a trial run at what he accomplished with much more success in L'amour braque the next year. They use a lot of the same shooting locations, I think. And they share the Inspired By Dostoevsky thing. Probably the reason this one didn't resonate with me as much is I've never read The Possessed/The Devils, which I'm sure the plot is making a lot of allusions to. I've never read any Dostoevsky, really. I probably should.

palmer eldritch

Postby shacky » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:54 pm

nosebleeds wrote:Sam Raimi directed Drag Me to Hell, BS.

i went into the theatre not knowing this and expecting some b-grade trash to kill time on a date

and then man oh man

shacky

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:55 pm

my gf and I actually got into a semi-heated argument where she said 'drag' is raimi at his best and I said that was like saying 'departed' was scorsese at his best

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby deadbass » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm

My wife and I watched a Star is Born this weekend and both thought it was thoroughly mediocre. Some really good stuff here and there, but it was pretty poorly directed. We rewound that pool shot at the rehab facility like 10 times and cackled like idiots cause it looked like something from a 90's music video.

deadbass

Postby Plainsong » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 pm

The Green Book (2018)- Peter Farrelly
Meh.

Plainsong

Postby Plainsong » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Othello (1951)- Orson Welles
Really liked this.
Pandora And The Flying Dutchman (1951)- Albert Lewin
Everything about this was stunning, especially Ava Gardner.
Pat And Mike (1952)- George Cukor
Liked it.
Punishment Park (1971)- Peter Watkins
Incredible film.
Last edited by Plainsong on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plainsong

Postby odilon redon » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:44 pm

last days of disco: was good and funny but it didn’t really personally connect the way metropolitan does. i think metropolitan balances out the overwhelming cynicism of its human portraits with a certain albeit narrow sweetness that i don’t find in ldod even tho i think it’s meant to be there. chloe sevigny though! aesthetically the movie is wonderful too, is there anything out there similar?

odilon redon

Postby Pris » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:54 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:it's a very uncomfortable and insane movie

Got the same vibe from Martin as I did from The Honeymoon Killers. It's really cool, but genuinely uncomfortable.

Pris

Postby easy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Support the Girls (2018)
I thought this was mostly fine, if a little slight. I don't think I would've cared for it that much if not for Regina Hall, who's just un-fucking-believable in it. I'm not sure I'm entirely ready yet to articulate what didn't work for me, but the best I've got right now is that it feels like most of the elements of a great movie were accounted for, but it was run through some kinda google translate thing that made everything slightly off. I'm not talking about dialogue specifically seeming poorly translated, I'm talking about the actual makeup of the movie: its supporting performances, the editing, the pacing and the character motivation, etc.

I essentially sat there the entire time enjoying myself, sure, but also wondering why on earth every individual element of the movie was landing for me, but as a whole, nothing was landing for me. it's like they only used the most befuddling takes of every scene, or like, showed two or three scenes out of order on purpose? I'm not saying I found the plotting to be literally confusing, mind you, it's just that something felt off. like an algorithm did an incredible fucking job making a movie, but it's still an algorithm.

all right I'm not making any sense. might have to sit on this one a bit longer. thanks for reading! :|

easy
does it

Postby walt whitman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:08 pm

no yeah, the pacing, rhythm, and overall feel of support the girls felt 'off.' sterile. couldn't watch more than a few min
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby naturemorte » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:09 pm

hmmm "support the girls" was one of my favorites of the year
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby easy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:14 pm

regina hall shoulda got a damn oscar nomination but the competition was so stiff this year

easy
does it

Postby Franco » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Loved it too but also know what easy is getting at

The triumphant moments landed powerfully somehow despite the build up being impeded whether by sequencing or characterization or whatever else. Love those moments though

Franco

Postby delgriffith » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Very sad that once again I have to shove easy into the dustbin of history.
delgriffith

Postby inmate » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 pm

i had similar weird feelings about support the girls that i couldn't articulate but matt christman's letterboxd review perfectly and succinctly described exactly how i felt
Great performances, well-observed details and pungent but credible dialogue. Has the same problem as Mike Judge's Extract in that it so perfectly recreates the flat deadness of exurban chain culture that the film itself ends up feeling flat as well. Kept waiting for it to climb a gear and it never did.

inmate

Postby delgriffith » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm

See I loved that about it. Climbing gears would kill a film like that (in my humble opinion).
delgriffith

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:26 pm

it's a real messy shaggy dog flick, a little rough around the edges like its characters

I like that comparison to extract, though I think that film is fairly slight
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby easy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm not so sure I agree with the flatness of the film having everything to do with the literal flatness of the landscape, but the "climbing gears" bit is interesting.

I guess I was waiting for something like that, too, but I wouldn't call what I was waiting for a gear-shift. emulsification, maybe?

easy
does it

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....