Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Celiac » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 pm

ah gotcha. ty
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Yeah, that one looks really interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
furrowed brow

Postby aububs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 am

what an absolute peach of a movie. perfectly formed with a strong resonance all of its own. glad I finally pulled the trigger on it

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Repo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am

one of my favourite films of all time, love erice
glad you liked it, 'bubs
Repo

Postby aububs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 am

it is so good! i'll def return to it again

i have to seek out El Sur and The Quince Tree Sun now
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Repo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 am

some people say el sur is even better! I can't actually choose between those two
el sol del membrillo is also really good so you're in for a good treat
Repo

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

Three Identical Strangers (2018) - Slight, but I liked it on a Monday! I know the point was that they didn't have the results of the study, but there still seemed to be something lacking. Very sad. Also; Strombo is an idiot, how did he ever have a show?Toggle Spoiler

Slacker (1991) - Good good good I like I like!!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby object » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Beau Travail (1999, dir. Claire Denis)

My first Claire Denis. Really liked it. The meditative vibe, the pace, the subtlety of it. Into it.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, dir. Werner Herzog)

Amazing that that's not even Klinski's voice. Loved the soundtrack.
object

Postby object » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:56 am

Queen of Earth (2015, Alex Ross Perry)

I went through a period a few years ago where i thought everyone had sinister intentions towards me and i still don't know how much of that was real or in my head. Anyway, this film reminded me of that. Elizabeth Moss is amazing. Sean Price Williams is cinematographer. He did the Safdies' Good Time and Heaven Knows What (which i watched the other day). I really like his work.
object

Postby walt whitman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm

that movie is shot really well
walt whitman

Postby high bias » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 pm

object wrote:Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972, dir. Werner Herzog)

Amazing that that's not even Klinski's voice. Loved the soundtrack.

whoa had never heard about the dubbing thing. kind of bummed tbh
high bias

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Yeah, I really liked Queen of Earth too. Whole thing felt like a living nightmare.

If you're aching for more Moss and haven't seen it, I can't recommend Top of the Lake highly enough.
furrowed brow

Postby mini » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm

furrowed brow wrote:Yeah, I really liked Queen of Earth too. Whole thing felt like a living nightmare.

If you're aching for more Moss and haven't seen it, I can't recommend Top of the Lake highly enough.

and look out for "her smell" soon, some of her best work and alex ross perry's best movie
mini

Postby object » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Yes, should be good. Sean Price Williams on board for that too. Cast looks great.

Top of the Lake was really good.
object

Postby furrowed brow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm

mini wrote:
furrowed brow wrote:Yeah, I really liked Queen of Earth too. Whole thing felt like a living nightmare.

and look out for "her smell" soon, some of her best work and alex ross perry's best movie

Nice, will do!
furrowed brow

Postby object » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Elena (2011, dir. Andrey Zvyagintsev)

Immersive and grim. Good.
object

Postby aububs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 am

this blew me flippin socks off!! incredible. go in totally blind if you can. read nothing about it.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Repo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 am

object wrote:Yes, should be good. Sean Price Williams on board for that too. Cast looks great.

Top of the Lake was really good.

top of the lake was really good!
have to rewatch it, it blew me away when I saw it
Repo

Postby Repo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am

four of us posted good things about border
backlash coming in in 3, 2, 1...
Repo

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 am

aububs wrote:this blew me flippin socks off!! incredible. go in totally blind if you can. read nothing about it.

I thought it was too long, but I appreciated the originality. absolutely go in blind
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby inmate » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

border was great
inmate

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am

9 Variations On A Dance Theme (1966)- Hilary Harris
A Page Of Madness (1926)- Teinosuke Kinugasa
Carlito's Way (1993)- Brian De Palma
Eaux d'Artifice (1953)- Kenneth Anger

Loved all of these.
Plainsong

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

I finally saw speed racer for the first time the other day. I'm a big ol idiot and missed catching it in its original run, and so I had had promised myself that I would wait until I had the chance to see it on the big screen. it was totally worth the wait!!! :D

I think it's the best live-action cartoon adaptation ever, was really impressed by how it conveyed the style of the show with all the wipes, super-imposed talking heads, cgi sets. the art design in general is just totally awe-inspiring. it's nearly 2 1/2 hours long, but I could have lived in that world for another hour, easy

I'm not surprised that it was a box office failure, but I think it's in large part due to the fact that it was wayyy ahead of its time. if it came out today, it would probably do great

it's probably my second favorite wachowski film, which is saying something because I love bound
landspeedrecord

Postby delgriffith » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 am

I really wish I'd gotten tickets to the Alamo screening :( Glad you loved it!
delgriffith

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:30 am

2nd_yellow wrote:Just finished Gaspar Noe's new flick, Climax. Gotta say it was a bit underwhelming compared to his previous work. Most of his films will have a scene or two that hits you like a hammer, but the usual feeling of being uncomfortable while watching his films just wasn't there during Climax.

I saw this last night and couldn't disagree more. perhaps it's because I saw it in a theater that takes great pride in how they screen their films, but it was LOUD AS FUCK. between the soundtrack, sound design, intertitles, and camera... oh that glorious camera, constantly moving and going slightly in and out of focus, it had a visceral nausea-inducing effect that I found unbearable. the film is 90 minutes but felt like it was two hours. it's like the polar opposite of speed racer in that regard

while I have issues with noe regarding his desire to merely shock the viewer with transgressive content (ersaph put it really well in the a24 thread) to wit:
Ersaph wrote:Despite the Gaspar Noe-ness of it all, Climax was really good and worth seeing. It would be great to see him do a movie without racialized violence, abortions, incest, etc. Just like, a movie full of cool visuals and normal movie characters.

I thought it was his purest most experiential work

I dunno if anyone makes films about how humans are just animals better than noe. they're not fun films, but he has a clear worldview and executes it well (for the most part)
landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 am

and that opening dance sequence is just... UGH

early contender for scene of the year
landspeedrecord

Postby high bias » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am

landspeedrecord wrote:and that opening dance sequence is just... UGH

early contender for scene of the year

yeah i’ve been tempted to see this again, mainly to rewatch that dance sequence. so great

i agree though that this one felt a little “light” compared to his others, but i think it works. nice change of pace
high bias

Postby walt whitman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 am

the first half of climax -before the drugs kick in- is pretty much perfect. i really want to see more dance film
walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:48 am

yeah I agree, walt. the second half was a lot more conventional than I was expecting

I was talking to my friend about it afterwards, and we were both in agreement that most of the people are so abhorrent, that it's almost more of a horror movie just hearing them talk to one another before the turn. the men in particular talking about the women like they are merely pieces of meat is straight-up vile. and that's not a criticism, noe totally nails it
landspeedrecord

Postby deep blue meanies » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 am

the part in climax when the woman locks her child in the electrical closet and locks the doorToggle Spoiler almost gave me an anxiety attack
deep blue meanies

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....