Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm

poor Tito :(Toggle Spoiler
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby object » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011, dir. Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

I had a couple of false starts with this film. You really have to be in the right mood. No denying it's an incredible film. When the doctor made that call at the end I didn't understand his motivation until the last shot. Stunning. I was intrigued by the film's focus on the rendering of truth through official means - the crime report, the autopsy report.
object

Postby mercenaries of slime » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

just saw border at the cinema

deeply regretted my decision to get popcorn

i did cry a lot though

5 stars
mercenaries of slime

Postby object » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Girl (2019, dir. Lukas Dhont)

This film's about teenager Lara who's transitioning while going to ballet school. It's a fictionalised account of the experiences of a close friend of Lukas Dhont's, Nora Monsecour. There's been some controversy about it. Some scenes are really hard to watch. Really strong performances. Interview with the director here.
object

Postby aububs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:04 am

enjoyed this almost as much as the slightly more lyrical spirit of the beehive. it is also a masterpiece albeit stunted, a real shame erice didn't get to make the 3hr movie that he wanted. I would have gladly followed estrella down south for another 90 mins.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby object » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Bastards (2013, dir. Claire Denis)

This is a revenge film that goes to some very dark places. Claire Denis has a really smooth, almost liquid-like, flowing style which kind of disarms me before the subject matter fucks me up.
Last edited by object on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
object

Postby forest design » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Gloria Bell (dir. Sebastián Lelio)

Love Gloria, loved this. It's a really fascinating project, imo. When it was announced I had misgivings and wished he'd put his energies into a new project, but I had a great time watching this. Moore is a goddamn marvel to behold. Despite being an almost scene by scene remake it more than manages to stand on its own.
forest design

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

How to be a free spirit even though you woke up in the middle of the night in an existential panic
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby object » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Sauvage (2018, dir. Camille Vidal-Naquet)

This is about a sex worker. Also about loneliness, really. Good but some decisions taken wrt to characterisation seemed a bit off to me. Some diffcult scenes. Some incredibly touching scenes.
object

Postby mellowgold » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Kenny wrote:Image

Honestly Robert Aldrich isn’t great at making movies
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 pm

go off, farrah
landspeedrecord

Postby futurist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:21 pm

ooh been waiting to catch Sauvage. is it streaming?
futurist

Postby object » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 pm

futurist wrote:ooh been waiting to catch Sauvage. is it streaming?

i streamed it from curzon home cinema. i'm not sure if it's available in your jurisdiction
object

Postby mellowgold » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:go off, farrah

Lmao

Why wasn’t he exploring workplace gender inequality???
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold

Postby scrambled » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am

Death Becomes Her surpassed my wildest expectations .
scrambled

Postby Plainsong » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)- George Roy Hill
Rewatch. Love it more each time.
Fallen Angels (1995)- Wong Kar-Wai
Found it really enjoyable.
Husbands (1970)- John Cassavetes
Brutal and affecting.
Last edited by Plainsong on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plainsong

Postby mellowgold » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm

scrambled wrote:Death Becomes Her surpassed my wildest expectations .

So good lol
mellowgold

Postby aububs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:00 am

nice to catch this on a big screen last night

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby emotional fascism » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

I received the German blu ray remaster of The Warriors just last week - it is the original cut without the comic book panel frames inserted in. SO happy to have it.
emotional fascism

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:03 am

emotional fascism wrote:I received the German blu ray remaster of The Warriors just last week - it is the original cut without the comic book panel frames inserted in

I always HATED the addition of the comic book shit. glad I'm not alone!
landspeedrecord

Postby aububs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 am

yeah the director's cut is atrociously bad
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 am

I had never heard of this one before. bjork stars in this moody black & white art film from 1990 which follows two sisters who flee their hometown after their mother is burned alive for being a witch. the older sister ingratiates herself with a widowed farmer and his spoiled son, who rejects his surrogate family. reminded me of bergman or early tarkovsky. there's not a lot to chew on, it feels slight at even 78 minutes, but the photography is gorgeous

happy death day 2u
I didn't really like it that much, but I will say that it takes serious balls to make a sequel which pivots away/abandons from its predecessor's slasher premise and straight up become a john hughes-esque science fair romcom about alternate timelines and coming to terms with your mother's deathToggle Spoiler
landspeedrecord

Postby gauchebag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am

BABYLON, 1980

Pretty glad I didn't pay $15 to see this and not really all that bothered when the audio kept going but the video stopped over an hour into the pirated version I was watching. These guys certainly get jerked around by society, by neighbors, by the cops and it makes for fairly compelling viewing but it wasn't as controversial and crazy as the trailer I saw led me to believe. Maybe the last 25 minutes had some over the top shit that could change my opinion but overall seemed pretty tame tbh. Cool music and fun trying to understand the patois without subtitles. You get the point but couldn't tell you word for word what was being said.
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby R C » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 pm

watched KILLER JOE tonight for the first time in years and holy god it’s still incredible
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Kisses (Masumura, 1957)

I was going to watch one of Yasuzo Masumura's movies and since I hadn't seen any of them I decided to start at the beginning instead. Some people give this credit as a proto JNW movie for its slice of the struggles of life for the Japanese youth though moreso it seems like a neorealist tinged romantic melodrama and I suppose it's interesting as a fairly plain and unpretentious youth movie, interesting to someone at least, but not to me. I thought it was very boring. Did you even really need to read this post? Probably not. Did you know that fixed gear bicycle race gambling tracks were very popular in Japan?
palmer eldritch

Postby bruceagain » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm

of course i know about kierin gambling
also, it's still very popular
Last edited by bruceagain on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.
bruceagain

Postby someguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm

R C wrote:watched KILLER JOE tonight for the first time in years and holy god it’s still incredible

hell yes
apologies
someguy
ok

Postby deep blue meanies » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:42 am

i've been on a massive rohmer and sang-soo binge the past few months.

what are some other films in a similar vein people like?
deep blue meanies

Postby mystery meat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 am

mellow are you actually an Aldrich contrarian? spit fire plz!
mystery meat

Postby mellowgold » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 am

mystery meat wrote:mellow are you actually an Aldrich contrarian? spit fire plz!

lol i was kinda drunk when i made that post but ive only seen baby jane, kiss me deadly and sweet charlotte...and none of them are that good? sweet charlotte is just really bad but i like when olivia de havilland finally snapsToggle Spoiler
mellowgold

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....