Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Celiac » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am

Saw Gloria Bell last night. It was good but probably just about the base level of how magical/joyous a movie that is entirely watching Julianne Moore for two hours could be. Definitely a nice good movie but didn’t capture much further than that
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby Mesh » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:39 pm

mini wrote:i had no idea there are (relatively) new lasagna cats, tu mesh

I had never even heard of it, ran across it while looking at Jan Pinkava stuff on Letterboxd :!:
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby object » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Saw Toni Erdmann and Western recently. Both incredibly good films. Want to see more Maren Ade
Last edited by object on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
object

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Everyone Else is excellent.
furrowed brow

Postby object » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Be sick if the Maren Ade and Valeska Grisebach filmographies turned up in a dropbox somewhere. ;)
object

Postby the upland trout » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Spring Night, Summer Night (Joseph Anderson, 1967)
the upland trout

Postby Plainsong » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Legend Of The Mountain (1979)- King Hu
Loin Du Vietnam (1967)- Jean-Luc Godard, Chris Marker, Alain Resnais, Agnes Varda, William Klein, Joris Ivens, Claude Lelouch
Punishment Room (1956)- Kon Ichikawa
Sahara (1943)- Zoltan Korda
Sorcerer (1977)- William Friedkin
The World Of Henry Orient (1964)- George Roy Hill

These were all pretty cool.
Plainsong

Postby aububs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 pm

i liked this a lot. there could have been a few more beats to the plot, probably, but bardem and cruz are great and i'm a sucker for a spanish crime thriller type of scenario

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Plainsong » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:13 pm

To Live And Die In L.A. (1985)- William Friedkin
Under The Volcano (1984)- John Huston

Really liked these.
Plainsong

Postby delgriffith » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Great Albert Finney performance.
delgriffith

Postby pana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:18 pm

that's Lagerfeld
pana

Postby Plainsong » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:43 pm

delgriffith wrote:Great Albert Finney performance.

Hell yeah. First Finney performance I've seen so it blew me away tbh.
Plainsong

Postby ANU » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 am

Pris wrote:
ANU wrote:i'm looking for this release : Du.cote.d'Orouet.1973.DVDRip.x264.mkv

Specifically that .mkv? Because the movie itself is available on Hawkmenblues.

yep this one.
ANU

Postby Bartatua » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:11 pm

i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Celiac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:12 pm

aububs wrote:i liked this a lot. there could have been a few more beats to the plot, probably, but bardem and cruz are great and i'm a sucker for a spanish crime thriller type of scenario

watched this last night. liked it a lot. spent about half the movie just debating if it would be feasible for me to move to spain by the end of the week
Celiac

Postby pana » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Plainsong wrote:

Hell yeah. First Finney performance I've seen

this seems impossible
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001215/
pana

Postby mellowgold » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Celiac wrote:Saw Gloria Bell last night. It was good but probably just about the base level of how magical/joyous a movie that is entirely watching Julianne Moore for two hours could be. Definitely a nice good movie but didn’t capture much further than that

aw i really loved it! found it to be really compassionate and generous. the final scene was wonderful.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Celiac » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 pm

mellowgold wrote:
Celiac wrote:Saw Gloria Bell last night. It was good but probably just about the base level of how magical/joyous a movie that is entirely watching Julianne Moore for two hours could be. Definitely a nice good movie but didn’t capture much further than that

aw i really loved it! found it to be really compassionate and generous. the final scene was wonderful.

yeah there was a lot i liked in it quite a bit i just checked out a few times. but i do think its very good and that julianne moore deserves all the praise she is getting
Celiac

Postby Goon Bloodgood » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm

The Portrait of a Lady (Jane Campion, 1996)

Blown away by this. Considering the incredible cast and its obvious qualities it's strange that it's not more revered. Need to watch more Campion and revisit the ones I've seen. At least this Film Comment piece from 1996 saw its greatness: https://www.filmcomment.com/article/jane-campions-shining-portrait-of-a-director1/
Goon Bloodgood

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Big Campion fan myself but I couldn't finish PoaL. Should try it again though. Have you seen In The Cut or Holy Smoke? I'd be really interested to read some other opinions on those films.
furrowed brow

Postby Goon Bloodgood » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 pm

furrowed brow wrote:Big Campion fan myself but I couldn't finish PoaL. Should try it again though. Have you seen In The Cut or Holy Smoke? I'd be really interested to read some other opinions on those films.

yeah have seen those and piano, but all of them so long ago that i don't really remember them. was too young to really have much to base opinions on then (and was probably colored by the reviews), but iirc i liked piano, sorta-liked holy smoke and disliked in the cut. am curious about in the cut especially, considering how poorly that was received at the time. gonna try to post about them as i watch
Goon Bloodgood

Postby Repo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:01 pm

an angel at my table is such an underrated movie
Repo

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:28 pm

In The Cut is an interesting failure, imo. But I'd love to hear a defense of it. I think Holy Smoke is super funny, entertaining and moving in its melodrama; I pretty much loved it. And yeah, An Angel at My Table is really good too. Sweetie completely perplexed me when I first saw it, but after reading more about it and hearing Campion and Gerard Lee talk about it, I've come to appreciate it more; I should rewatch it sometime.
furrowed brow

Postby super gas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 am

UNDER THE SILVER LAKE (Mitchell, 2018)
i have a long love/hate relationship with l.a. and it made me initially avoid the film, only to now watch it and like it a lot. side note, seeing a film without any knowledge of the plot is still the best way to watch a movie.

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT (von Trier, 2018)
i don't really like von trier but this wasn't terrible.

CAPTAIN MARVEL (Boden & Fleck, 2019)
star trek meets terminator 2 meets... inside llewyn davis. i enjoyed it but invincible superheroes are boring.Toggle Spoiler

SUNSET (Nemes, 2018)
claustrophobic nightmare of a film. i liked it a lot.
super gas

Postby Plainsong » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 am

pana wrote:
Plainsong wrote:

Hell yeah. First Finney performance I've seen

this seems impossible
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001215/

Take it back, I've seen Miller's Crossing, Big Fish, and Erin Brockovich but not since I was v young, so I don't remember much about his performances but I'll give them a rewatch due to this though.
Plainsong

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Illustrious Corpses (Rosi, 1976)

I've been meaning to watch more of Rosi's movies but I think I just forget about them when it's time to pick something. I find the no-frills procedural type movie to be very balm. This movie isn't fantastic exactly, but it's all right, like Costa-Gavras-lite. Rosi brings the Italian political procedural to the 70s paranoia thriller. I'm not sure the mystery plot made full sense to me, but I think it would make more sense if you're an Italian communist living in the 1970s. I don't really know anything about the Years of Lead, as it were. I was struck by the fact this movie is about a high ranking police detective who... rides the bus places! And is best friends with a communist newspaperman. The architecture of Italian homes is really interesting. The best parts of the movie are probably just him wondering around people's houses.

Here's the Japanese poster, which looks really cool but doesn't really represent the movie accurately imo:

palmer eldritch

Postby delgriffith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Change the OP of the 2020 Primary thread to this imho
delgriffith

Postby R C » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:46 pm

super gas wrote:side note, seeing a film without any knowledge of the plot is still the best way to watch a movie.

this is essentially why I've stopped watching trailers until after I see the film.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

Postby super gas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:50 pm

R C wrote:
super gas wrote:side note, seeing a film without any knowledge of the plot is still the best way to watch a movie.

this is essentially why I've stopped watching trailers until after I see the film.

oh trailers is another level. trailers these days reveal so much of the plot that it kills any interest of me actual seeing the film. i don't even wanna read a synopsis.
super gas

Postby R C » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 pm

super gas wrote:
R C wrote:

oh trailers is another level. trailers these days reveal so much of the plot that it kills any interest of me actual seeing the film. i don't even wanna read a synopsis.

I don't go that far. I try to read a basic synopsis, like 1-3 sentences. But otherwise I don't read anything else.
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."
R C

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....