You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mercenaries of slime » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 pm

a separation (2011)
mercenaries of slime

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Shirkers (Sandi Tan, 2018) - A really fascinating story skillfully told so as to maximize its dramatic potential. Everything from the "film" is just completely gorgeous looking.

Treeless Mountain (So Yong Kim, 2008) - About on par with her first film. I didn't like the story here quite as much, but that's balanced out by the cinematography being much more to my taste; the film really looks incredible. Anne Misawa did the cinematography for this and I'm curious now to check out some of the other films she's worked on.

The Feels (Jenee LaMarque, 2017) - Wow, this blew me away! Why does no one seem to like or care about this film at all? This ensemble has just about perfect chemistry, the dialogue and plot development feels very natural (aside from one sort of clunky moment), the dynamics between characters are interesting and realistic, and for a movie with seven characters and a taut 90 minute runtime, I feel like we get a good sense of every one of them. This is on Netflix if anyone cares to check it out.

Red Road (Andrea Arnold, 2006) - This was very good. It's got a super creepy premise, an incredible sense of tension and really wonderful cinematography. The reveal confounded my expectations so completely that I almost found myself a little disappointed.
furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:44 am

Celiac wrote:
mellowgold wrote:
Celiac wrote:Saw Gloria Bell last night. It was good but probably just about the base level of how magical/joyous a movie that is entirely watching Julianne Moore for two hours could be. Definitely a nice good movie but didn’t capture much further than that

aw i really loved it! found it to be really compassionate and generous. the final scene was wonderful.

yeah there was a lot i liked in it quite a bit i just checked out a few times. but i do think its very good and that julianne moore deserves all the praise she is getting

i keep thinking about Gloria Bell. I want to hang out with her and share Spotify playlists. Movie has such Sagittarius energy.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby RIXX » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 am

have any of you seen this yet? (especially us First Men)

i am seeing it tonight. i wish it was playing in imax tho
RIXX

Postby good_maritimes » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Na Srebrnym Globie (1988)

wild
good_maritimes

Postby Celiac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:42 am

House of Flying Daggers - Zhang Yimou (2004)

This was great. The visuals were amazing, and the color palette particularly in the second half were breathtaking.
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:58 am

Celiac wrote:House of Flying Daggers - Zhang Yimou (2004)

This was great. The visuals were amazing, and the color palette particularly in the second half were breathtaking.

Psyched about Zhang Yimou's new martial arts film!
No Good Advice

Postby Celiac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am

Oh wow yes that should be great. I actually don’t know much about him as a director, do you have other recs?
Celiac

Postby aububs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 am

Celiac wrote:Oh wow yes that should be great. I actually don’t know much about him as a director, do you have other recs?

highly rec shanghai triad
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby aububs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 am

and I haven't seen raise the red lantern in about 25 years but I'll rec that too
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 am

His wuxia epics are obv great, and his arthouse classics (Raise the Red Lantern, Red Sorghum), but a personal favorite is Zhang Ziyi's debut The Road Home, a sentimental, simple love story, and the ultimate tear-jerker.

No Good Advice

Postby Celiac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 am

Awesome, thank you both!
Celiac

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Goyokin (Gosha, 1969)

Samurai battling in the snow is always nice. Snowy Japan flicks are a personal favorite aesthetic. As a samurai movie, it's not one of the best I've seen, or one of the worst. Solidly in the middle ground; photographed very well, but kind of thinly plotted and tonally scattered. Nakadai has got to be the saddest, most pensive fucking ronin I've ever seen though. And nothing that bad even happened to him! It's not like his family was slaughtered or he was framed for a crime, he just quit his job because it sucked. I think he's depressed. If it was just a movie about a clinically depressed samurai, that could be good, but it seems like the first time ten guys tried to kill him he'd have to lose because he had no energy to go on. I love the villainitis the main bad guy has, he explains his whole plot to the good guys and then basically just ties them up and walks away with his bad guy crew as soon as he can manage it! You're a cold blooded killer my man, you slaughter villages, you can't kill the one guy who can stop your plan?? I guess that might be a spoiler. Don't read that if you don't want to know it. There's a pretty good sword fight at the end that mainly revolves around the two fighters trying to keep their hands warm by blowing on them and shit.

The best part though is when this guy (Kinnosuke Nakamura, having a great time with his role) says he love goooooold.
palmer eldritch

Postby Celiac » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:04 pm

No Good Advice wrote:a personal favorite is Zhang Ziyi's debut The Road Home, a sentimental, simple love story, and the ultimate tear-jerker.

Ok, yep just watched this and cried for about a half hour straight. Thank you for the recommendation
Celiac

Postby No Good Advice » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 am

Yeah! That's how it usually goes for me
No Good Advice

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 am

Warlock (1959)- Edward Dmytryk
Loved it.
Bad Boys (1961)- Susumu Hari
Liked it.
Fallen Angel (1945)- Otto Preminger
Liked it, especially the performances of the main cast.
Farewell To The Ark (1984)- Shuji Terayama
Really loved this.
Image#
Freebie And The Bean (1974)- Richard Rush
Really enjoyed this. The car stunt sequences in this are insane.
Plainsong

Postby broodstar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 am

kinda a stretch to relate to zhang yimou but i had a prof who taught an excellent class on some of chen kaige

in particular i remember adoring this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Children as a fairly esoteric chinese film around that time

otherwise one of the first films i ever saw was 'yellow earth' which kinda subtly fulfills tear jerker status
broodstar

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Kikujiro (1999)- Takeshi Kitano
Liked it.
Meet John Doe (1941)- Frank Capra
Really liked it. All the performances were brilliant. Might just be my favourite Cooper performance, and every monologue Stanwyck has in this just owns. Brennan and James Gleason were really great also.
Plainsong

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 pm

I wanna watch freebie and the bean
palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:54 pm

that's a really good screen grab of Warlock too
palmer eldritch

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:I wanna watch freebie and the bean

Go in with no expectations and I think you'll like it. Arkin and Caan play off each other so well in it.
Last edited by Plainsong on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plainsong

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:that's a really good screen grab of Warlock too

Yeah, keen to watch some more Dmytryk after watching that. Anthony Quinn was so good in it.
Plainsong

Postby mellowgold » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 am

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:10 pm

man i know it's p basic but i saw Seven Samurai for the 2nd time last night and man i liekd it before but this viewing shot it way up.

takashi shimura is sooo good
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm

that movie makes me cry every fucking time
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:27 pm

my wife's fave dude is the first one to go so she was p messed up

i love all the burial/grave scenes, how they give weight to each one.

also how much stuff is so cliche nowadays but was probably invented/popularized by this, like the one stoic dude just coming back with the musket after they assume he didn't make it, and he's like "knock 2 more off the list" or whatev
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:32 pm

kurosawa does an excellent job differentiating between all of the characters so that even though they're archetypes, they feel nuanced and real

he also does a great job establishing the village's geography, which makes the action coherent

for a nearly 4 hour film, it's about as lean and mean as it gets. it just flies by
landspeedrecord

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:35 pm

yeah it's like a movie basically made up of my favorite parts of genre movies, like i love seein the team slowly come together, each character getting a good intro, and i LOVE scenes like them just looking at the map and going to each corner and planning shit out, and marking the dead enemies, etc.

gimme those DEEETAILS, hollywood!
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:46 pm

you should watch the magnificent seven soon to really see exactly how hollywood tightens things up

and that's not even a bad film, but a lot of character is lost in adaptation
landspeedrecord

Postby Mesh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

I fell asleep after about 20 minutes of Sorcerer but full disclosure I started it too late and I was a tie tie boy.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....