Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 am

if you don't like those films, I don't think aldrich is for you, but if you feel like giving him a last chance, check out the big knife!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby mystery meat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

Kiss Me Deadly is insanely good imo but its virtues aren't the virtues of most later Aldrich where the filmmaking is more grimy and choppy and less pictorial, and it's all about how much the characters hate each other, or just like 'unstoppable force vs. unmovable object' type conflicts between two deadlocked adversaries. i think it's cool but i also think he's overrated in certain ways.

you should watch his worst movie The Legend of Lylah Clare it's so bad it's classic
mystery meat

Postby blab » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 am

i saw Enter the Void at the Texas Theater (v sick theater!)

uhhh it was intense but had several seinfeld.gif moments
blab

Postby Repo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am

"The Iron Ministry" (J.P. Sniadeki, 2014)
Incredible documentary about life in the chinese trains
slow, trippy and hipnotic, it includes some really powerful sociological + anthropological reflecions made by anonymous chinese people
one of the best films I've seen in the last couple of years
Repo

Postby Mesh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Make it to 2:25 please.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby alberto caeiro » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:44 pm

deep blue meanies wrote:i've been on a massive rohmer and sang-soo binge the past few months.

what are some other films in a similar vein people like?

Jacques Rozier (especially Du Cote D'Orouet), Matias Pineiro, maybe some later Rivette
alberto caeiro

Postby super gas » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 pm

love du cote d'orouet
super gas

Postby someguy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Us - was having fun with this until it explains itself and it's just flat out insane/ridiculous in a way that pulled me out of the movie
apologies
someguy
ok

Postby super gas » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:52 pm

gah wish i hadn't read that.
super gas

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm

excited for Sweet Mother Pectin to ask me if i saw 'this is us' next week
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby sleep maps » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 am

Repo wrote:Image

slow, trippy and hipnotic, it includes some really powerful sociological + anthropological reflecions made by anonymous chinese people

J.P. Sniadeki might have tied his fortunes to today's super worm equinox moon or something because I just saw a screening of El Mar La Mar by him and Joshua Bonnetta tonight

"El Mar La Mar" - J.P Sniadeki & Joshua Bonnetta (2017)

About migration along the Sonoran desert - slow, strange, and emotional.
sleep maps

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 am

mellowgold wrote:
Kenny wrote:Image

Honestly Robert Aldrich isn’t great at making movies

i agree, but you don't dig kiss me deadly? it has that really rare, strange quality of like feeling like a deconstruction of a thing that hasn't even been properly constructed yet, yknow? i get the same feeling from vertigo. they both feel like they're just kinda taking the piss in a lynchian way but of course it's still only the 50s
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 am

but that sesnsation's maybe just a product of having seen lost highway and blue velvet before seeing kiss me deadly and vertigo
shacky

Postby Plainsong » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 am

In terms of Aldrich you can't say he isn't great at making movies when he made Vera Cruz, Ulzana's Raid, and The Dirty Dozen. Or maybe you can what do I know?
Plainsong

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 am

actually wait i love baby jane and sweet charlotte lol so yeah, you probly can't say that
shacky

Postby deep blue meanies » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:55 am

alberto caeiro wrote:
deep blue meanies wrote:i've been on a massive rohmer and sang-soo binge the past few months.

Jacques Rozier (especially Du Cote D'Orouet), Matias Pineiro, maybe some later Rivette

thanks! :~)
deep blue meanies

Postby Repo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 am

sleep maps wrote:
Repo wrote:

J.P. Sniadeki might have tied his fortunes to today's super worm equinox moon or something because I just saw a screening of El Mar La Mar by him and Joshua Bonnetta tonight

"El Mar La Mar" - J.P Sniadeki & Joshua Bonnetta (2017)

About migration along the Sonoran desert - slow, strange, and emotional.

oh sweet

you can watch some of his stuff here --> https://dafilms.com/director/9462-j-p-sniadecki
I saw foreign parts when it came out, really cool doc
Repo

Postby iacus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

I really liked El Mar La Mar, gonna have to check put the iron ministry
(there was a hyperbole)
iacus

Postby ANU » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm

alberto caeiro wrote:

Jacques Rozier (especially Du Cote D'Orouet)

Does anyone have Du côté D'Orouët in good quality and is kind enough to put it in the db ?
ANU

Postby super gas » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:41 pm

i think there are only sd rips of it.
super gas

Postby ANU » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:20 am

i'm looking for this release : Du.cote.d'Orouet.1973.DVDRip.x264.mkv
ANU

Postby mini » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am

i had no idea there are (relatively) new lasagna cats, tu mesh
mini

Postby Pris » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:06 am

ANU wrote:i'm looking for this release : Du.cote.d'Orouet.1973.DVDRip.x264.mkv

Specifically that .mkv? Because the movie itself is available on Hawkmenblues.
Pris

Postby Pris » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:37 am

Some of what I've been watching

Thriller, A Cruel Picture (1973) -- Nasty!

Au Secours! (1924) -- Really fun haunted house short with some great special effects. This one pops up on a lot of those creepy old movies lists. It's on YouTube, so check it out.

At midnight I will take your soul (1964) -- Great fun. I got the whole Coffin Joe box set & wondered how they managed to squeeze so many sequels out. Only one way to find out!

Limite (1931) -- Very nice movie to just look at and drift along with the pictures and the music. I haven't been able to get the Debussy orchestral version of Satie's Gymnopédies out of my head.

Lady in the Lake (1946) -- Fun noir with a POV gimmick.

The Face Behind the Mask (1941) -- Peter Lorre looks like he's about to start a post-punk band here. He tries to leave a life of crime behind with a 'Hope we can still be friends!' attitude towards his ex-gangmates. Yeah, that always works out well.

Le Petite Lise (1930) -- Early talkie where they were experimenting with the sound. So a early morning bedroom scene sounds like a Merzbow concert. Pierre Alcover is extra-awesome. I need to see L'argent (1928) tout de suite.

The Last House on Dead End Street (1977) -- Almost turned it off in the first half hour. I can't stand those 70's movies where they just shot the thing silent and dubbed in voices and sounds later on. Psyched by the 4D Witch being my most hated example. It does get a little better later on, with some atmospheric scenes, but it doesn't work as a shocker anymore now that the making-of has been so fully exposed.

The Last Movie (1971) -- Seems like it could have been kind of a neat Wicker Man precursor, but it's completely incoherent. I liked the last 10 minutes or so the best. Going to watch the The American Dreamer documentary about Hopper making this movie next.

Angst (1983) -- Serial/spree killer shocker. The lead is good and properly bug-eyed, but I didn't really care much about the goings-on. Good Klaus Schulze score though, it reminded me of Muslimgauze & Vatican Shadow. Austria sure has a lot of crazies.
Pris

Postby Celiac » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am

Saw Gloria Bell last night. It was good but probably just about the base level of how magical/joyous a movie that is entirely watching Julianne Moore for two hours could be. Definitely a nice good movie but didn’t capture much further than that
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby Mesh » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:39 pm

mini wrote:i had no idea there are (relatively) new lasagna cats, tu mesh

I had never even heard of it, ran across it while looking at Jan Pinkava stuff on Letterboxd :!:
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby object » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Saw Toni Erdmann and Western recently. Both incredibly good films. Want to see more Maren Ade
Last edited by object on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
object

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Everyone Else is excellent.
furrowed brow

Postby object » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Be sick if the Maren Ade and Valeska Grisebach filmographies turned up in a dropbox somewhere. ;)
object

Postby the upland trout » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Spring Night, Summer Night (Joseph Anderson, 1967)
the upland trout

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....