last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby good_maritimes » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:22 pm

The Mercenary (1968) - watched this on blu-ray for the first time. a total blast. jack palance is so wacky.

good_maritimes

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 am

aububs wrote:i was super hyped for this because strickland has hit 3 for 3 so far but have to admit when i first saw the trailer, while excited, i thought it looked possibly hokey and potentially a mis-step, but NOPE, he's now 4 for 4. this was so good! nobody else is making movies like him, i feel like he's making them especially for me, and i bet others feel that way too. his vibe is just so perfect. admittedly it loses steam a little towards the end when it doesn't know exactly where to go with the central conceit of a killer dress, but really there's only one place it can go and it does go there and it was alll good. gwendoline christie is great, she is so good with comedy, barry adamson (!) is great, fairly sure i saw adam bohman of bohman bros. fame briefly (he was in berberian too...i guess a friend from strickland's sonic catering band days)...all of the staff in the dress shop are fantastic. there's a duke of burgundy call-back. the soundtrack by cavern of antimatter is really good...and when the main character first goes back to her apartment she's listening to the last track on the skaters wind draping incense ep which is an all-time favourite, i mean from there on, the deal was sealed. imo he's one of the most interesting and exciting auteurs working. i hope he makes a hundred more movies.

Saw this last night and just wanted to strongly agree with all the above. Strickland's best film yet by some distance imo, and I liked his last two a lot. This really nailed both the giallo and comedy aspects for me in a perfect balance. Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Fatma Mohamed and Barry Adamson are all fantastic. Really loved the segments with Julian Barratt and Steve Oram as well. Killer soundtrack too. Pretty much a lock for my end year list

HotFingersClub

Postby Pris » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:01 am

Plainsong wrote:Image
By The Law (1926)- Lev Kuleshov

This one blew my mind last year. Every shot looks like a black metal album cover and then it gets so intense along the way. Big favorite!

Pris

Postby Plainsong » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:59 am

A Dry White Season (1989)- Euzhan Palcy
Really liked this, and how it didn't shy away on the true brutality of what Apartheid really was. Loved how determined Palcy was to make this.
A Life Of Her Own (1950)- George Cukor
This really stunned me, Turner, Milland, and Calhern all gave brilliant performances.
A Man Escaped (1956)- Robert Bresson
Really liked this.
A Shot In The Dark (1964)- Blake Edwards
Really enjoyed this.
Act Of Violence (1949)- Fred Zinnemann
Really liked it, especially the performances and cinematography.
Advise And Consent (1962)- Otto Preminger
Really liked this, Laughton's final performance is masterful.

Plainsong

Postby mellowgold » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:38 am

Plainsong, i recently watched A Man Escaped and i keep thinking about it!
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Plainsong » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 am

mellowgold wrote:Plainsong, i recently watched A Man Escaped and i keep thinking about it!

It's pretty damn good, the attention Bresson places on the plans of escape is something that really grabbed me, and I like how it's quite a hopeful film compared to the other two of his that I've seen.

Plainsong

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:09 am

its one of his best. his sad person movies are too over the top.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:09 am

just yeah. its focus on repitition is very balm

palmer eldritch

Postby jefe górgory » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:19 am

Cold Water - Olivier Assayas

good!
in the process of making 100k off serie a fan tokens by socios

jefe górgory

Postby Pokemon Blue » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:02 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:
aububs wrote:i was super hyped for this because strickland has hit 3 for 3 so far but have to admit when i first saw the trailer, while excited, i thought it looked possibly hokey and potentially a mis-step, but NOPE, he's now 4 for 4. this was so good! nobody else is making movies like him, i feel like he's making them especially for me, and i bet others feel that way too. his vibe is just so perfect. admittedly it loses steam a little towards the end when it doesn't know exactly where to go with the central conceit of a killer dress, but really there's only one place it can go and it does go there and it was alll good. gwendoline christie is great, she is so good with comedy, barry adamson (!) is great, fairly sure i saw adam bohman of bohman bros. fame briefly (he was in berberian too...i guess a friend from strickland's sonic catering band days)...all of the staff in the dress shop are fantastic. there's a duke of burgundy call-back. the soundtrack by cavern of antimatter is really good...and when the main character first goes back to her apartment she's listening to the last track on the skaters wind draping incense ep which is an all-time favourite, i mean from there on, the deal was sealed. imo he's one of the most interesting and exciting auteurs working. i hope he makes a hundred more movies.

Saw this last night and just wanted to strongly agree with all the above. Strickland's best film yet by some distance imo, and I liked his last two a lot. This really nailed both the giallo and comedy aspects for me in a perfect balance. Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Fatma Mohamed and Barry Adamson are all fantastic. Really loved the segments with Julian Barratt and Steve Oram as well. Killer soundtrack too. Pretty much a lock for my end year list

Yeah, just wanna echo and co-sign the praise for this.

I really don’t think there’s many directors out there who are as good as Strickland in terms of the sound design in film (an aspect of cinema that to me feels like it get less consideration/kudos than other elements?). The whole film was just an incredible sensory experience, and funny too! Loved how hostile/passive-aggressive all the interactions between characters felt in this.

Pokemon Blue

Postby Gnarls » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 pm

look at this run from Doris Roberts

Gnarls

Postby Gnarls » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 pm

inspired by watching Bye Bye Birdie and wondering if an extra was her

Gnarls

Postby Plainsong » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 pm

After Life (1998)- Hirokazu Kore-eda
Found this equally saddening and beautiful.
Bodu Saved From Drowning (1932)- Jean Renoir
Really liked it.
Broken Lance (1954)- Edward Dmytryk
This ruled, Tracy was brilliant and probably the most menacing in anything I've seen him in, Jurado and Widmark were really great too, as was the rest of the cast.
Brute Force (1947)- Jules Dassin
This ruled, the ending was brutal.

Plainsong

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:21 pm

damn, I want to see In Fabric so badly...
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Repo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am

"Owned: A tale of two Americas" (G. Angelini, 2018)
As a european citizen I was aware of the red lining housing policies, Levittown (didn't know Levitt didn't allow african american war veterans), the decline of cities like Baltimore and Detroit, gentrification... but this excellent documentary was really eye opening: housing policies helped shape a racially divided society.
Can't recommend this enough! it's in the DB

Repo

Postby rushedbehind » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 am

Been to the cinema twice in the past 24 hours and seen two great movies, Happy as Lazzaro and Parasite. Absolutely loved both of them.

rushedbehind

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Communion Los Angeles (2018)

experimental portrait of LA's oldest freeway. mesmerizing, very alienating exploration of the urban landscape- abandoned streets, empty fields, traffic-clogged roadways, sad cryptic buildings. each visual sequence contains its own unique frame rate - not the usually smooth 24fps - so that it resembles a photo-book or time-lapse, stuttering in time. RIYL Koyaanisqatsi
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:06 pm

ooo that looks right up my alley!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:32 pm

yeah that sounds great

palmer eldritch

Postby hector doepos » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:17 pm

it has recently don' don'd me that i love brian de palma films (after seeing carrie and body double).... what are some of his best, most visually pleasing films?
hector doepos

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 pm

blow out
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Sisters is my favorite even if it is just a Hitchcock ripoff.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 pm

hector doepos wrote:it has recently don' don'd me that i love brian de palma films (after seeing carrie and body double).... what are some of his best, most visually pleasing films?

Phantom of the Paradise - https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98141

Eyeball Kid

Postby futurist » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm

walt whitman wrote:Image

Communion Los Angeles (2018)

experimental portrait of LA's oldest freeway. mesmerizing, very alienating exploration of the urban landscape- abandoned streets, empty fields, traffic-clogged roadways, sad cryptic buildings. each visual sequence contains its own unique frame rate - not the usually smooth 24fps - so that it resembles a photo-book or time-lapse, stuttering in time. RIYL Koyaanisqatsi

ooh how do i see this?

futurist

Postby mellowgold » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Gloria Bell
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mystery meat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Snake Eyes is extremely underrated in the De Palma canon

mystery meat

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 pm

despite it having a really ridiculous campus dorm room and weed rep scarface is a legitimately great looking film i m o.
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 pm

mystery meat wrote:Snake Eyes is extremely underrated in the De Palma canon

revisited this recently...it's a good-looking flick but nick cage is insufferable and the script is weak

also remember BDP going slightly overboard on the dutch angles

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby good_maritimes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 pm

The Ninth Configuration (1980) - wacky but very enjoyable with great performances from Keach and Scott Wilson

good_maritimes

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:43 pm

mystery meat wrote:Snake Eyes is extremely underrated in the De Palma canon

yeah only true dumbasses dislike this
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley