Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Mesh » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Holy shit Scarecrow (Schatzberg, 1973)
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby someguy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:I watched Late Night and it wasn't terrible

I also watched Booksmart and it was also not terrible

Saw Late Night today and it's one of the worst things I've seen this year, just a pile of terrible cliches on top of each other
apologies

someguy
ok

Postby Celiac » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Mikey and Nicky - Elaine May, 1976
Phenomenal
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 pm

someguy wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:I watched Late Night and it wasn't terrible

I also watched Booksmart and it was also not terrible

Saw Late Night today and it's one of the worst things I've seen this year, just a pile of terrible cliches on top of each other

It was the first time I've been to the theater since my son was born and I think the joy of sitting in the dark with no interruption really affected my review. The past couple days my wife and I have been bringing up issues with it constantly.

How did Molly just wander into her home???
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby aububs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:47 am

Celiac wrote:Mikey and Nicky - Elaine May, 1976
Phenomenal

hey I just watched that on Friday night too. yeah real good! great movie. mikey and nicky are absolute jerkoffs
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby aububs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:00 am

also rewatched this. it's such a good movie I just want to live in it

no buddy not really

aububs

Postby Celiac » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:16 am

aububs wrote:
Celiac wrote:Mikey and Nicky - Elaine May, 1976
Phenomenal

hey I just watched that on Friday night too. yeah real good! great movie. mikey and nicky are absolute jerkoffs

God they really were. I was dying at some of their stuff though. When cassavetes said “who cares if there’s a gate that’s never stopped us before!” And Falk went “never stopped us before? Jesus, they’re gonna think we’re cemetary freaks!” :lol:
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby mystery meat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am

the scenes of them slip-sliding on the wet streets around when Cass breaks Falk's watch are the greatest

mystery meat

Postby Plainsong » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

The Colour Of Pomegranates (1969)- Sergei Parajanov
This was mesmerising, the editing, sound design, and use of colour were especially amazing.
The Killing (1956)- Stanley Kubrick
This ruled.
The Marriage Of Maria Braun (1979)- Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Really loved this.
The Suspect (1944)- Robert Siodmak
This ruled, Laughton was pretty much perfect, and loved the almost gothic mood in a few scenes.

Plainsong

Postby mystery meat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Pom Poko (Takahata, 1994) - this is basically Studio Ghibli's Battle of Algiers, starts off you think it's just gonna be an environmentalist parable but then it becomes a legit study of collective action, ideological warfare, genocide, assimilate-or-die, etc. straight-up masterpiece imo.

mystery meat

Postby kirito » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:47 pm

also with scrotum parachutes

kirito

Postby mystery meat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:28 pm

fuk yeah

mystery meat

Postby Plainsong » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Thief (1981)- Michael Mann
This ruled, Cann was great, as was Tuesday Weld and Robert Prosky.
Trouble In Paradise (1932)- Ernst Lubitsch
This was brilliant, Marshall, Hopkins, and Francis all gave brilliant performances.

Plainsong

Postby futurist » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm

finally rewatched Knife+Heart from home. unbelievably good.

futurist

Postby hector doepos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 pm

brian de palmas 'body double' . super fun film. totally kitsch and weird. I loved it.

really sick opening credits design

hector doepos

Postby hector doepos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:59 pm

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know what the best service is for legally streaming Good Films? Seeking the spirit of a well curated video store c.2005.

I've looked around and there seem to be a bunch: Mubi, tribeca shortlist, filmstruck, fandor, shudder (horror films), le cinema club... any of these any good? It seems weird that in this day and age there isn't a place that I can go to just find X cronenberg or brian de palma or fassbinder film etc.

hector doepos

Postby mystery meat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:32 pm

filmstruck got axed (RIP), Criterion is probably your best bet in this day and age for Great Shit, Fandor is too niche for my Classical Narrative Film Interests but it's good (though i feel like there was some ambiguity over whether it was supposed to discontinue at some point?). i'm an instinctive anti-mubi contrarian. hopefully the Warner library obtains a reasonable platform.

mystery meat

Postby brody » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm

kanopy is pretty excellent. selection may vary depending on your local public library system. you also are "limited" to something like 12 plays a month

brody

Postby RIXX » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Coming Out (Heiner Carow, 1989)

DEFA east german film about, uh, coming out. very cute film. watch it for pride month. it's on kanopy. matthias freihof is unreal attractive

RIXX

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:15 pm

brody wrote:kanopy is pretty excellent. selection may vary depending on your local public library system. you also are "limited" to something like 12 plays a month

no. fuck kanopy. kanopy hurts libraries and universities.

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:18 pm

hector doepos wrote:sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know what the best service is for legally streaming Good Films? Seeking the spirit of a well curated video store c.2005.

I've looked around and there seem to be a bunch: Mubi, tribeca shortlist, filmstruck, fandor, shudder (horror films), le cinema club... any of these any good? It seems weird that in this day and age there isn't a place that I can go to just find X cronenberg or brian de palma or fassbinder film etc.

Mubi is p slick and well designed.
i just wish they got better films

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:21 pm

walt whitman wrote:
brody wrote:kanopy is pretty excellent. selection may vary depending on your local public library system. you also are "limited" to something like 12 plays a month

Kanopy: Not Just Like Netflix, and Not Free
https://filmquarterly.org/2019/05/03/kanopy-not-just-like-netflix-and-not-free/

For all its benefits, though, Kanopy is not free. Some news articles state more precisely that library users watch films for free, but of course the library pays for the service. A fee for the service is not in itself a surprise or a problem: Kanopy has a lot of good content and their offerings include foreign films, older films, independent features, documentaries, and experimental work that other widely available streaming platforms have historically lacked. However, Kanopy is not just like Netflix, or any other subscription video on demand service (SVOD), even if its innovation is applying a Netflix-style user-friendly platform to the library market. As much as Kanopy cultivates this confusion in the user’s mind, its website’s economic model works very differently from subscription streaming sites, and these differences have an impact, especially in higher education. Particularly as newer, distributor-run streaming services like Criterion Channel and OVID start up, it is worth highlighting how Kanopy operates in a fundamentally different way.

Recently, an increasing number of scholars have become aware of a simple fact about the service: university and college libraries do not pay a flat fee like individuals might for Netflix, Hulu, or the (now defunct) FilmStruck. Instead, Kanopy’s platform drives “patron-driven acquisition” in which three viewings (defined as 30 seconds or more of a title) trigger a library license fee per title. (The figures I’ve seen are $150 for a year, $350 for a 3-year license, though the price might vary or change over time.)

Those fees can add up quickly, and some libraries have felt a strain on their budgets. For instance, Stanford University called Kanopy’s cost “no longer sustainable” as they announced their switch from an open-platform version to a limited-access, request-only version (the only way libraries can turn off the license fee trigger of patron-driven acquisition). [3] However, these issues do not affect public libraries, which pay Kanopy per view (current fee of $2), similar to a transaction video on demand (TVOD) service like iTunes. [4] Still, patrons do their local public library’s budget no favors by streaming the “free” Kanopy titles, even if those libraries presumably factor in the streaming costs as part of their mission.

The average media consumer, accustomed to a $13 Netflix monthly subscription or a $20 Blu-Ray, might be shocked at Kanopy’s education-market price of $150 per film. However, Kanopy did not invent the disparity. Since the advent of the VCR, there has been a split between personal-use and educational pricing. What Kanopy is actually doing is providing a subscription-like experience for a video market driven by per-title educational (not individual subscription) pricing.

walt whitman

Postby mini » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 pm

the nypl just dropped it bc of cost

mini

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am

:o
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Plainsong » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 am

L'Opera Mouffe (1958)- Agnes Varda
Wedlock House: An Intercourse (1959)- Stan Brakage

Both of these ruled.

Plainsong

Postby RIXX » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 am

walt whitman wrote:

yeah. now I feel guilty everytime I start something on Kanopy and then give up on it after 5 minutes, knowing I just cost the already chronically underfunded NYPL $150 or whatever

RIXX

Postby RIXX » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:48 am

RIXX wrote:Image

Coming Out (Heiner Carow, 1989)

DEFA east german film about, uh, coming out. very cute film. watch it for pride month. it's on kanopy. matthias freihof is unreal attractive

bump for new page
just learned matthias (guy on left) got the courage to actually come out IRL after shooting this movie "Coming Out" lol amazing

RIXX

Postby broodstar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm

watching films is expensive, cancelling the whole practice

broodstar

Postby high bias » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:36 pm

RIXX wrote:
walt whitman wrote:

yeah. now I feel guilty everytime I start something on Kanopy and then give up on it after 5 minutes, knowing I just cost the already chronically underfunded NYPL $150 or whatever

However, these issues do not affect public libraries, which pay Kanopy per view (current fee of $2), similar to a transaction video on demand (TVOD) service like iTunes.

high bias

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm

wow, didn't know that about Kanopy. shit's wild
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....