Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:44 pm

brian dennehy fan wrote:soft milk that's a good post

x2
I felt the same way after I watched Old Joy for the first time this summer.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby easy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:51 pm

i saw ready or not last night. it was trash!
easy
does it

Postby walt whitman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:56 pm

dat film grain in Edvard Munch...oh my goodness
walt whitman

Postby jca » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Adam is one of the worst movies ive seen in a long time
jca

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Can You Ever Forgive Me (2018) - Loved this. I was surprised by how touching it was. Def cried a bit at the end. It's really one of the better meditations on loneliness and purpose I've seen.

Possession (1981) - This movie has some of the most manic and intoxicating energy ever. Reminded me of the mental breakdown in Days of Abandonment a bit, just in terms of how effectively it pulls you into the madness of the characters. A really gorgeous and enthralling movie. I love the theme of the impossibility of comprehending other relationships, just what goes on between someone you've loved and their new lover, and how it is (in a way) easier to accept if the new other is monstrous with a supernatural hold over your ex.

I'm gifted and gonna sell sex
Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby neely o'hara » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm

zodiac for the tenth time

first time I realized
- ione skye is the woman with baby in the car
- june diane raphael is ruffalo's wife
- all the zodiacs in the murder scenes are played by different dudes
neely o'hara

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 pm

neely o'hara wrote:zodiac for the tenth time

first time I realized
- ione skye is the woman with baby in the car

daughter of Donovan!
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Fark I just watched the new Aladdin and it was truly brutal,
Reliable Tradesman

Postby saranclaps » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Day for Night - I didn't really care for this. I saw the 400 blows in college and loved it but this was weirdly uninvolving and documentary-like.

Z - Insane movie. Loved it. Electric and of its time stylitically yet not dated.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby mondrary » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:31 am

i think about possession often, weirdly mostly about how tall and alienating and cavernous whatever city they're in looks throughout much of it. that's the main thing that's stuck with me rather than the subway scene or w/e even though obviously that is also amazing. Great Film. would love to see any other zulawski films at some point.

i watched miller's crossing tonight for the second time and was sort of underwhelmed by it. it's likely my least favorite of the coens' first three, at least.
mondrary

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:15 am

True Stories (Byrne, 1986)

Finally gathered enough interest to watch this thanks to SOMEONE posting about it on the internet. In a way, I think this is the movie that felt like it most accurately portrays Texas, to me, a noted dumbass. Really loved it.
palmer eldritch

Postby Repo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:26 am

"John McEnroe: in the realm of perfection" (J. Farault, 2018)

"Leave no trace" (D. Granik, 2018)

"American animals" (B. Layton, 2018)

all of these ruled for different reasons
Repo

Postby dcm » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 am

I watched Police Story for the first time this year as well and the very ending really is something. Totally unexpected. I was going through a bad time when I watched it and I thought Jackie fighting himself using his knocked out buddy's body was the most apt visual metaphor for so much of my mental health struggles.

I should watch the second one.
dcm

Postby dcm » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:35 am

First Reformed was the all-time worst movie to watch on mushrooms btw.

Would be interested in anyone's take on the final shot. A friend of mine was quite frustrated by it but I think it works (though maybe not quite as well as Schrader wants) but I can't really articulate why. I think it's something to do with anti-climax. My friend was mostly just upset by the fact that in the end Toller doesn't opt for a righteous life, and instead becomes a black hole of annihilation. My sort-of counterpoint was that Toller is most sympathetic when viewed as a symptom of a poisoned world, and that Schrader renders the poisoning of the world so vividly (indeed extending it into Toller's physical health and his difficulty in navigating health care) and conveys the general truth of the current moment so ruthlessly that any other course of events would have rang false, or at least not as true. And that the ending kiss is effective in part because the world is still on fire. It's a petty concern, a stumbling block.Toggle Spoiler

Great movie, though.
dcm

Postby goofjan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 am

Lone Star - amazing. can't believe I waited so long to see this. I thought it was just a murder mystery. I had no idea of the scope of the whole thing. it's insanely, upsettingly topical, re: the border crisis. stellar cast (RIP Elizabeth Peña, so sad). I now want to watch all of John Sayles's movies immediately.

Smooth Talk - wow. I'm so glad I didn't read anything about this going in. it did not play out like I expected. I was so wrapped up in it that I had no idea how much of the running time had passed and how much was left, and I mean that in a good way. Dern is just so good. one of the best ever.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby aububs » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:12 am

yeah smooth talk is a secret stunner
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Mesh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 am

You should watch all of John Sayles's movies immediately.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby goofjan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:31 am

Mesh wrote:You should watch all of John Sayles's movies immediately.

nice. I think I've only ever seen Eight Men Out (which I love). stoked to dig in.
goofjan

Postby emotional fascism » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:32 am

both of those are aces goofjan. gonna set me up for a rewatch this week.
emotional fascism

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:48 am

dcm wrote:First Reformed was the all-time worst movie to watch on mushrooms btw.

Would be interested in anyone's take on the final shot. A friend of mine was quite frustrated by it but I think it works (though maybe not quite as well as Schrader wants) but I can't really articulate why. I think it's something to do with anti-climax. My friend was mostly just upset by the fact that in the end Toller doesn't opt for a righteous life, and instead becomes a black hole of annihilation. My sort-of counterpoint was that Toller is most sympathetic when viewed as a symptom of a poisoned world, and that Schrader renders the poisoning of the world so vividly (indeed extending it into Toller's physical health and his difficulty in navigating health care) and conveys the general truth of the current moment so ruthlessly that any other course of events would have rang false, or at least not as true. And that the ending kiss is effective in part because the world is still on fire. It's a petty concern, a stumbling block.Toggle Spoiler

Great movie, though.

Just rewatched last night. Agree that he does in fact kill himself and her coming into his room is what he imagines as he's dying. For one thing, there's the quote earlier in the movie, in his journal, along the lines of "What goes through someone's mind as they pull the trigger?" For another, the other reverend had just tried to come into his place a few minutes earlier and been turned away by the locked door.Toggle Spoiler Regardless, I think there's enough ambiguity to make it really enticingly open-ended, and that's not even one of the best things about the movie overall. I loved it even more the third time around. Great film.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Gnarls » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:49 am

Baby It’s You is my favorite John Sayles movie and one that people seem to ignore. It’s everything that an 80s John Hughes film isn’t.
Gnarls

Postby delgriffith » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:54 am

palmer eldritch wrote:Image
True Stories (Byrne, 1986)

Finally gathered enough interest to watch this thanks to SOMEONE posting about it on the internet. In a way, I think this is the movie that felt like it most accurately portrays Texas, to me, a noted dumbass. Really loved it.

:)
delgriffith

Postby Plainsong » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Lotte In Italia (1971)- Groupe Dziga Vertov (Jean-Luc-Godard, Jean-Pierre Gorin)
My least favourite Godard so far.
M (1931)- Fritz Lang
Rewatch. Didn't like it as much as the first time I saw it, but Pete Lorre's performance still owns.
The Apartment (1960)- Billy Wilder
Rewatch. Loved this even more the second time round. Lemmon and MacClaine's performances are perfect.
The Public Enemy (1931)- William A. Wellman
Rewatch. Still like this a great deal.
Plainsong

Postby goofjan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 pm

such a great thread. I'm trying to dig in to French movies from the 30s-50s, like pre French New Ave. plainsong mentioned Port of Shadows so that's on my list as well as more Marcel Carne (Daybreak is streaming on Prime), Rene Clair, Rene Clement, etc. any other recs?
goofjan

Postby aububs » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:46 pm

goofjan wrote:such a great thread. I'm trying to dig in to French movies from the 30s-50s, like pre French New Ave. plainsong mentioned Port of Shadows so that's on my list as well as more Marcel Carne (Daybreak is streaming on Prime), Rene Clair, Rene Clement, etc. any other recs?

30s Renoir is a rich vein

and L'atalante
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby broodstar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:12 pm

jacques becker and jean rouch
broodstar

Postby manierisme » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm

yeah i need to see more becker but rendezvous in july, casque d’or, touchez pas au grisbi, and le trou are all wonderful
manierisme

Postby Mesh » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 pm

manierisme wrote: casque d’or

Seconding and yeah screw the French New Ave.

Oh hey I just got a BD of Renoir's Swamp Water (1941). Will report soon.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby mystery meat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Falbalas (Becker ‘45) fucking owns

Swamp Water weird as hell, Dana Andrews as junior woodsman, Anne Baxter doing incredible shit, some inspired direction nuzzling some dumbass calls by twentieth century fox...idk
mystery meat

Postby mystery meat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 pm

oh yeah goodjan highly rec anything by Sacha Guitry, Jean Gremillon, Julien Duvivier
mystery meat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....