Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby aububs » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51 pm

the nightingale is an intense movie. to put it mildly. thought it was great. it is what it needs to be.
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Very excited for that one.

furrowed brow

Postby peshay » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:29 am

Was better than I was lead to believe it would be but could/should have been better.

peshay

Postby Milk » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 am

It wasn't last but i finally got around to watching..............The Wizard, like 30 years after seeing it advertised in a nintendo power magazine and thinking "that seems bad but i should probably see this". Not much to say about it, obviously it's not good (did give me some nostalgia though, of course) but man, this would never get made today if only because...these kids get picked up by ADULTS like 5 times and they, the adults, just seem to be fine with the idea of kids hitchiking on their own!? Ya no biggie, ill take you where you wanna go no questions asked... same baffling observation about Jenny Lewis' dad laissez-faire attitude towards her just fucking crossing the country on her own. Today they would not allow it because it would seem to promote that its cool for kids to hitchike.

Vidya games related gripes

-If they have never seen SMB3 before, how come Jenny Lewis knows that he has to get the goddang flute to warp?

-Speaking of...how does warping give you more points? it doesn't

-at some point the kid stops playing Ninja Gaiden but Ryu keeps moving and climbs a wall..... CAM ON! Do not think me a fool.

-So they spend ALL this goddam time in a montage getting the kid to learn all these video games...and then they get to the tournament and oh, it's ninja gaiden, a game he already knew and was great at, and that's it they never have him play another game except of course SMB3 which he couldn't have learned anyway.

-the whole tournament is based only on points earned in the games. Yet the kid mostly learns games that have no points system (well those that are shown or mentioned). Like Simon's quest, Mega Man 2, Metroid,Contra,Smb2 and Dr. Chaos (the mention of which got me to go wtf as almost nobody played this game, i did somehow but...) Methinks the point of this montage was....JUST TO ADVERTISE POPULAR NES GAMES!!! :o

Oh and in closing i have to say, either pretty bold or :? to have a pedophilia related "joke". Well i mean, when they want to get rid of the dude that's trying to bring them back home and she yells "HE TOUCHED MY BREAST". I was like oh shit she did not, especially not expected anyway in an essentially nintendo sponsored movie.... And then later the guy says something like "she doesn't even have any breast!". Funny AND awkward.... At least the kid knows whats up with some adult men. Definitely the kids would have been annoying without Jenny lewis though, she made it more watchable. The wizard does nothing and Fred Savage has always been cringey. Oh and in closing...that's not REALLY how PTSD works...

Wait...also...fuck this movie for having put Send me an angel in my head for the last like, 5 days.
Last edited by Milk on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby Milk » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 am

keeping this thread high brow as you can see.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."

Milk

Postby Plainsong » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:03 am

The Battle Of Algiers (1966)- Gillo Pontecorvo
Loved it.
The Blood Of A Poet (1930)- Jean Cocteau
Had some interesting moments, but overall it didn't really engage me.
The Cincinnati Kid (1965)- Norman Jewison
Liked it.
The Conformist (1970)- Bernardo Bertolucci
Fucking amazing.
The Devil And Miss Jones (1941)- Sam Wood
Loved this. Jean Arthur and Charles Coburn really shined in their roles.
The Devil Is A Woman (1935)- Josef von Sternberg
This ruled. Dietrich is always compelling to watch.

Plainsong

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:19 am

Victim

Loved this. Doing some reading about it now and apparently it holds some responsibility for decriminalizing anti-homosexual laws in the UK. Very progressive film for 1961.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

This was good. It reminded me of a time when I used to go see movies by myself a lot and when leaving I'd think, "Yeah that was good," and then years later I'd have the vaguest recollection of a Natalie Portman movie called "Free Zone."

Diva

The art design was incredible, some shots looked more like acrylic paint than film, and I really dug the sound design and score. Otherwise, I found this movie pretty uninteresting, rather disappointing. I can see the influence on stuff like Scott Pilgrim or Under the Silver Lake, movies where 19 year olds can project their brooding and horniness as some sort of attractive virtue (don't @ me)
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 pm

finally saw Call Me By Your Name

man, i was mostly into it on an aesthetic level throughout, but basically from the train station scene through like 20 mins after the credits ended i was bawling.

i guess the connection between the characters didn't exactly connect super hard with me, but those feelings of hard goodbyes and stuff still resonate regardless, and Chalamet fucking kills it
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby gutenmorgan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Love the Conformist.

Just saw JoJo Rabbit and it was outstanding.

gutenmorgan

Postby neely o'hara » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:10 pm

The Last Boy Scout

goood shit.

"I swear to Christ if I survive this case I'm gonna dance a jig."
"What?"
"Dance a jig I swear to Christ."

neely o'hara

Postby palmer eldritch » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:50 pm

watching the hard mike top movies of the decade day 2: Silence (2016)

I never paid attn to this coming out like I said in the other thread because I saw the other movie based on the same book and I didn't think I'd get much out of this. and yeah, I really don't have any interest in marty's examination of catholic faith or whatever. there's a lot I would praise about it though. it looks great, I'm not sure there's a better western film depiction of a period japan setting. the performances from the supporting japanese cast are very good. garfield is pretty good too but honestly I much preferred when anyone else was getting screen time, just because his character is so uninteresting. yeah

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am

watching movies from the top films of the decade thread day 1: Snowden (2016)

honestly there's a lot less of people doing shit at computers than I expected. the most disappointing thing about it is as an Oliver Stone film how normal and traditionally adequate at being a biopic/news event story it is. the main bad dude of sorts, CORBIN OBRIAN (?) gets the best scenes. I like that Obama is a villain in this movie. they should have played that angle up more. Oliver Stone got to give Edward Snowden a standing ovation at the end so I think he accomplished what he set out to do.

palmer eldritch

Postby Milk » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:20 am

neely o'hara wrote:The Last Boy Scout

goood shit.

"I swear to Christ if I survive this case I'm gonna dance a jig."
"What?"
"Dance a jig I swear to Christ."

Loved this movie when i was like 15. had it on tape and watched it often. Come to think of it, it might be my favorite Tony Scott film (which as was once determined in some other thread i don't rate much). I say this without having seen it in probably 15 years.

Milk

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 am

i think both w. and snowden grew on me when i started to think of them entirely as films of metal gear solid cutscenes.

i do miss the like, 'acid' style of filmmaking he was known for in the 90s though. the biggest disappointent of his newest films is how technically standard they are. i legitimately think nixon (1995) is a masterpiece in a way that i think snowden is just a goofy film i have a lot of fondness for. or like i think natural born killers is an insanely ugly and stupid film that is so eye catching your eyes are drawn to it for it's entire runtime.
Last edited by goofy's dead wife on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

goofy's dead wife

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 am

i link this every time but i swear to god

goofy's dead wife

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:15 am

I haven't seen Nixon. I'd like to. I don't really technically count myself as seeing JFK either cause I can't recall ever seeing it from one end to the other, though I must have seen at least half of it here or there

palmer eldritch

Postby goofy's dead wife » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 am

godzilla (1954)

such a stunning fucking film. hadn't watched it since my age was in the single digits. some of the most beautiful black and white cinematography i've seen in any film. like, shots and scenes that literally imprint on your head for decades on end after seeing them. the underwater shots like the one pictured above kindof remind me of a jonas mekas style diary film. you can add this onto the pile of "films that will sadly never stop being relevant" as it hit upon this viewing that godzilla also works as a pretty perfect metaphor for climate change. or any other manmade disaster.

is jaws just a bad whitewashed version of godzilla? i haven't seen jaws since i was around the same age but i distinctly got that feeling from watching this.

goofy's dead wife

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am

I watched High Life (2018) last night and really liked it there was a lot of cum
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby pantsoclock » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:52 am

I watched The Fugitive for the first time in ages. Honestly Hitchcock level thriller. I lovitz
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:46 pm

The Souvenir (2019) dir. Joanna Hogg
quietly devastating semi-autobiographical portrait of a film student's formative years, charting her toxic relationship with an older man who works in the foreign office as well as her struggle to figure out the type of art she wants to make. it's a very loose film full of novelistic detail and little hand-holding, flitting from scene to scene without clear plot beats. I can see how this might be frustrating to some viewers, but I found it rather liberating. I've never seen any of hogg's films, so I'll get on that

afterwards I read a few interviews with hogg about her creative process, which I found rather illuminating. she often casts non-professionals, hence why the protagonist is played by honor swinton byrne (tilda's daughter), who is studying to become a forensic psychologist. it's an amazing performance, and some of that can definitely be attributed to her lack of experience in front of the camera, which conveys the character's lack of self-confidence quite well. hogg shot the film in chronological order and the scenes were almost entirely improvised. at times messy but always interesting. inspiring stuff

oh, and I adore the original song anna calvi wrote for the film that plays over the end credits

The Death of Dick Long (2019) dir. Daniel Scheinert
I watched this because joel potrykus repped it on twitter. the solo feature debut of scheinert, one half of the duo that made swiss army man (which I have not seen). someone on letterboxd referred to it as "dipshit fargo," which is perfect. in the wake of richard long's death by misadventure, his two dirtbag friends bumble around in an attempt to cover up their tracks. scheinert is from alabama, and his portrait of middle america is... something. worth it for andre hyland's performance, the art direction, and the 90s post-grunge, nu metal soundtrack alone. not for everyone, but I thought it was darkly hilarious. for those who want to get weird

Greener Grass (2019) dir. Jocelyn DeBoer & Dawn Luebbe
watched this on the rec of scheinert. feature debut of deboer & luebbe, an expansion of a short film they made a few years ago. it's an absurd, nightmarish satire of suburbia. wet hot american summer meets blue velvet by way of vernon chatman. sort of feels like an adult swim short taken to feature-length, so at times it feels more like a series of sketches tied together than a feature; ultimately I thought they found their own unique comedic tone, visual style, and thematic core which successfully tie everything together. the whole cast is uniformly fantastic, particularly deboer & luebbe, beck bennett, & neil casey

Ready or Not (2019) dir. Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett
a really solid b-horror romp of the sort that rarely gets made anymore. I had a blast. could have stood to be a little smarter (the family are portrayed as bumbling idiots, so the satire is a bit toothless). if the script had more edge and the rest of the cast had as much fun with the material as samara weaving (who gives an iconic perf), this would be a classic

Of Unknown Origin (1983) dir. George P. Cosmatos
peter weller plays a yuppie obsessed with exterminating a rat which has infested his nyc brownstone in this horror flick. the film was actually shot in montreal, which serves as a rather convincing stand-in for the big apple. while you may go into this film expecting a monster movie about a mutant rat, it's not. the antagonist in question is just a regular (if big and smart) rat, so it's a feature-length metaphor about one man attempting to assert control over nature. kind of like a feature-length version of breaking bad's "the fly." the concept worked better than the execution for me
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby aububs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:43 pm

i liked this. it's very literally based on the George Michael song, i mean to an insane degree (to say more would ruin the twist). which i enjoyed. and it has a very strong anti-brexit, pro-immigrant theme running throughout. any issues i had with performances or cliche were forgotten by the end. better than A Simple Plan imo. just about.

no buddy not really

aububs

Postby Celiac » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:40 pm

The Wind Rises - Hayao Miyazaki (2013)
"Le vent se lève! . . . il faut tenter de vivre!
God, what a picture. I loved this so much. The work of an absolute master operating with complete self-assurance. Its continuous shifting between reality, dreams and the surreal was so seamless and moving. The textures of the animation, particularly the planes (fire and smoke from the engines, the streamlined curves), were so beautiful. Complete joy!
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby Plainsong » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:13 am

The Devil's Disciple (1959)- Guy Hamilton, Alexander Mackendrick
Enjoyable. Olivier was great in this.
The Fog (1980)- John Carpenter
Loved this.
The Fountainhead (1949)- King Vidor
Loved this. Cooper was great in this, but Patrica Neal was even better.
The Gay Divorcee (1934)- Mark Sandrich
Loved this.
The Go-Between (1971)- Joseph Losey
Brilliant film.
The Great McGinty (1940)- Preston Sturges
Indifferent about it at first, but by the end I wound up loving it.

Plainsong

Postby goofjan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48 am

plainsong, what are your favorite holiday/winter movies?
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Plainsong » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am

goofjan wrote:plainsong, what are your favourite holiday/winter movies?

The Shop Around The Corner (also my fav movie of all time)
The Ice Storm
It's A Wonderful Life

That's all I can really think of atm.

Plainsong

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 am

The Idiot (kurosawa) is a good winter movie. :)

palmer eldritch

Postby goofy's dead wife » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:09 pm

demons (1985)

personal favorite. it's cool that this film is almost entirely propulsive action and thrash metal shit. it's tonally like halfway between soul plane and a giallo film. like it's absurdly pretty looking yet also very dumb. just an absolute blast. the last time i watched this, it was at a 35mm screening directly before the management at my schools student theater changed the focus of the theater, stripping it of it's projector and moving from screening arthouse films to second-run blockbusters, it was on a disintegrating reel that completely burnt out about a minute before the credits rolled. like, the last movie to ever be shown on that projector. audience applauded afterwards.

this time around i tried to follow it up with howard the duck (1986) but fell asleep about 30 minutes in.

goofy's dead wife

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:13 pm

would love to have that experience. demons is so fun. one of the prettiest scenes in a movie is when the girl is going into the bathroom to check on her scratched friend, and it bathroom is lit with a dying sunlight wash coming through a window but it's an interior and the color just looks just too off to be natural light anyway. it casts this kinda ominous shadow around her.

demons 2 is non-sexual/std shivers.
As a reader of historical naval fiction,

https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy

Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm

demons is great for moody horror atmosphere.

palmer eldritch

Postby Plainsong » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:48 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:The Idiot (kurosawa) is a good winter movie. :)

I've yet to see it, but i've always wanted too. Is it any good, cause I've heard mixed reviews about it?

Plainsong

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....