You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Plainsong » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Two Rode Together (1961)- John Ford
Loved it.
The Age Of Innocence (1993)- Martin Scorsese
Heartbreaking. Great performances all around. Easily an instant favourite.
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)- Francis Ford Coppla
Found it quite enjoyable. Loved how visually striking it was.
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)- Sidney Lumet
Rewatch. Really loved this. Pacino's frantic performance is brilliant, and Cazale is compelling as always.
The Long Kiss Goodbye (1996)- Renny Harlin
Rewatch. Still love this a great deal.
The Birds (1963)- Alfred Hitchcock
Loved it. Found it genuinely chilling in some parts, particularly the final attack. Loved the fairly desolate ending.

Plainsong

Postby Goon Bloodgood » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

love the the long kiss goodnight

watched Richard Jewell, it was good

Goon Bloodgood

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:27 pm

portrait of a lady on fire - don't usually like this contemporary style of film making but this one has stuck with me gonna ponder how this affects the official 2019 SGP rankings for a bit more also wanted to give a shout out to how it presented the servant and countess while mostly avoiding servant and countess tropes plus you cast gina piccolapupula you get an a+ from me and of course 'do all lovers feel they’re inventing something' and that ending thoToggle Spoiler

the apartment - one of Sweet Mother Pectin's favorite movies of all time finally got around to watching it not thrilled with jack's performance and i struggle with 'adult contemporary' classics i can appreciate their historical significance in context but it can be difficult for me to properly account for its greatness because i wasn't of that time to appreciate the evolutionary leap it made for its time and is that something i should even be responsible to consider or should i let the leonard maltins of the world clue me in for example i appreciate 'night of the hunter' 'bringing up baby' and 'make way for tomorrow' for their timeless nature but i have less appreciation for movies like 'being there' 'network' or 'the apartment' but then paradoxically i will scold anyone and think less of them for not appreciating how revolutionary 'pulp fiction' was to contemporary american film sometimes i wish i was born in 1900 and therefore could watch every canonical film in its historical context

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby The Producer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote: this contemporary style of film making

what are other examples? (so I can watch them too lol)

The Producer

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:33 pm

The Producer wrote:
Sweet Gregory Pectin wrote: this contemporary style of film making

what are other examples? (so I can watch them too lol)

*extremely someguy voice*

https://a24films.com/films

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:45 pm

abuse (1983)

semi-autobiographic tale about a documentary film maker making a documentary develops a relationship with a 14 year old subject. i think it's only available by vhs to this day, downloaded it off of passthepopcorn freeleech. feels very proto-gregg araki (highest praise i can offer to any film). it wasn't like, a pleasant watch, but it was definitely one of the best films of it's ilk i've seen and was perfect for the melancholy mood we've been in for the past couple days. i need to get back on the grind of watching more classic queer cinema. the directors film "buddies" is supposedly the first film to have ever been made about the AIDS epidemic. been meaning to watch that one for years and this definitely bumped it up pretty high on the queue.

midori (1992)

combo of watching the above film and reminiscing about going deep on anime 'video nasties' in the action film thread lead me to revisit this... idk i've frequently kinda joked about it as being like this achewood strip in film form or "marilyn manson's favorite anime". plot is like "flower girl runs away home to circus where she experiences more abuse, briefly finds 'love', things get worse from there". like yeah literally this achewood strip.

but i dunno, i kinda find some value in that as someone that feels like nothing good ever happens sometimes. it's such a labor of love too, lovingly hand drawn over the course of 5 years. it's still a personal favorite film for me / one of those things that's super inspirational for anyone that wants to make your own film. watching those two films back to back definitely got some morose feelings off of our chests. been a weird weekend.
RESIST PAC will be awarding all small business owners with a yearly revenue between 355-700K that have a non-binary child who has watched every Steven Universe episode in the past year with a free mail-in rebate for animal crossing

it's the suspense that gets me

Location: Clean The Earwax Out Of Your Ears Boys And Girls! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Postby aububs » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm

absolute STEAMROLLER of a movie

this is the movie that so many other movies want to be
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby bongo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm

housekeeping is an alltimer
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby paused anime for this » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:44 pm

recently watched:
(nostalgia) (Frampton, 1971)

Dillinger is Dead (Ferreri, 1969)

Don’t Look Back (Pennebaker, 1967)

Atman (Matsumoto, 1975)

Dial H-I-S-T-O-R-Y (Grimonprez, 1997)

paused anime for this

Postby paused anime for this » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:50 pm

oh and the music videos for weapon of choice and windowlicker 8-)

paused anime for this

Postby DARTH BROOKS » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:24 pm

young frankenstein
I knew that we'd become one...right away

DARTH BROOKS

Postby dvr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:52 pm

dvr

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 am

ford v ferrari suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby blckchrry » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 am

self/less on netflix. its pretty good imo
Image Image Image

blckchrry

Postby Down n dirty rufus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:47 am

aububs wrote:Image

woah, didn't know they made an adaptation of this STEAMROLLER of a book

Down n dirty rufus

Postby guaranteed mediocrity » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Down n dirty rufus wrote:
aububs wrote:Image

can anybody up this to the box?
Chick-Fil-A Award Winner

guaranteed mediocrity

Postby shacky » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 pm

love that movie, need to read that book

shacky

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 am

guaranteed mediocrity wrote:
Down n dirty rufus wrote:
aububs wrote:*LARGE IMAGE OF HOUSEKEEPING POSTER*

can anybody up this to the box?

yeah I can do this tonight

edit: this is up
Last edited by aububs on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Demonlover (2002) - Amazing 00s cyber thriller about corporate espionage / rival companies trying to buy henti studios and websites? Chloe Sevigny and Gina Gershon are both in this. Can't stop thinking about this one!!! Love when oiliver assayas is in this bizarro mode. feels like him trying to make mulholland drive lol. also has rly good vox lux vibes.
Last edited by mellowgold on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 pm

I wish I could make my avatar Chloe Sevigny playing Ps2 on the bed without worrying about making it NSFW.
RESIST PAC will be awarding all small business owners with a yearly revenue between 355-700K that have a non-binary child who has watched every Steven Universe episode in the past year with a free mail-in rebate for animal crossing

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm

I like when Gina Gershon flips past like Suicide Club and a Bush speech too. I need to watch more Assayas but both demonlover and personal shopper have like unparalleled good references to other media in them.

I also like how elliptical demonlover is it like barely feels like it has a plot before it all comes together at the end. I think I mentioned this in here when I rewatched it a few months ago but it erally encapsulates what 'night bus' meant to me in 2010 more than most other movies.

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:I like when Gina Gershon flips past like Suicide Club and a Bush speech too. I need to watch more Assayas but both demonlover and personal shopper have like unparalleled good references to other media in them.

the Bush speech was wild.

have u seen Irma Vep? I watched that last week and its my fav Assayas. like how you can pair demonlover and personal shopper you can def pair Irma Vep and Clouds of Sils Maria. I wish he'd go back to this style of filmmaking tho but maybe its just a late 90s/early 00s aesthetic.
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:19 pm

I should watch all those damn flicks

palmer eldritch

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm

I watched American Beauty last night, the first time I've seen something with Kevin Spacey in it since he was confirmed as a pychopath.

It's funny to watch the movie now because aside from Kevin Spacey being awful, the movie has just not aged well and it's weird to watch something that was legitimately impactful to me seem so poor now. Like it's shallow idea of "You think suburbs are great but the are BAD underneath the VENEER" and how much life Annette Benning put into a shit character. Like if Lester Burnham is allowed to have inner thoughts about how this life is "actually shit" and then not give Carolyn Burnham any inner thoughts almost seems woman-hating.

But then also, like it's funny to remember how sad I was that Lester dies, how interesting a character I thought he was when really he's a piece of shit (Just divorce dude!), and how I actually thought the floating bag was a pretty moment.

And then there's the whole Kevin Spacey playing an old person perving on underage people to put the topping on.

Also look how long the fucking wiki page is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_(1999_film)
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:I also like how elliptical demonlover is it like barely feels like it has a plot before it all comes together at the end. I think I mentioned this in here when I rewatched it a few months ago but it erally encapsulates what 'night bus' meant to me in 2010 more than most other movies.

yeah when she has the fight with gershon and everything just flips is what reminded me of the switch in mulholland drive a lot and how most of the characters that were established basically became new peopleToggle Spoiler

mellowgold

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm

I think I drunkenly watched Irma Vep after downloading it from a Karagragra freeleech like 10 years ago. I like it but I also remember nothing about it. I almost watched Clouds of Sil Maria immediately after we double featured shopper/demonlover but decided to put some distance... Kinda in the mood for his style of film at the moment... might throw one of those on after work.

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:22 pm

American Beauty is up there with like Crash and Green Book as the worst best picture winners. It's legitimately surreal when I remember it won Best Picture.

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:23 pm

mellowgold

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 pm

I think Crash was the first movie I was completely aware of it being a bad movie when it won best pitcture, that or Shakespeare in Love whichever was first.

I've never really been TOO discerning with movies though, I generally love a Fun one over a Good one
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm

The Italian Job (Collinson, 1969)

A really fun and absurd movie. I love the mafia dudes in this. I love Michael Caine breaking into the jail toilet.

The Executioner (Berlanga, 1963)

Pretty good black comedy. Generally delivers on the premise.

Until the End of the World (Wenders, 1991)

It's been on my want to watch list for a long time but I'm glad I waited long enough for the full restored cut to be available. It's a master work of course, how could it not be. I could watch the whole thing straight through again right now if I had the time. I liked the part when they all sang Days. that was nice.

palmer eldritch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....