Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 pm

michael caine often has toilet emergencies it seems
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby guaranteed mediocrity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:06 pm

aububs wrote:
guaranteed mediocrity wrote:
Down n dirty rufus wrote:
aububs wrote:*LARGE IMAGE OF HOUSEKEEPING POSTER*

absolute STEAMROLLER of a movie

this is the movie that so many other movies want to be

woah, didn't know they made an adaptation of this STEAMROLLER of a book

can anybody up this to the box?

yeah I can do this tonight

edit: this is up

thank u!!
Chick-Fil-A Award Winner

guaranteed mediocrity

Postby guaranteed mediocrity » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm

spix et chicho wrote:michael caine often has toilet emergencies it seems

thank god for dark brown trousers
Chick-Fil-A Award Winner

guaranteed mediocrity

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:14 pm

you were only supposed to blow a bloody fart off

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:23 pm

I watched Get Carter and he does push a guy into a toilet in that. Also reminded me of the phrase “drunk as lord” which I’m fond of.

Just finished watching Arrebato. The protagonist is a little dreadful but it’s a great addiction movie. Kinda forgot how much I like movies that walk the line between experimental and narrative.
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:28 pm

watched New York, New York too.. pulling a lot of recs from this thread these days. Really liked the theatrical stretch towards the end
carlagain

Postby carlagain » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:40 pm

sonic was worse than detective pikachu
carlagain

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:11 am

career opportunities (1991)

i only watched this because it was filmed in a target like 10 minutes from my house. everytime it cut to a romantic montage sequence the adult contemporary soundtrack made it feel like the room. people used to really like to post pictures of jennifer connelly's boobs from this movie on the internet a lot huh. this is kinda like john hughes machina in how anachronistic it feels as an interpretation of 90s pop culture to someone that seems like they should solely exist in the 80s. it was really dumb but i dunno. i like looking at 90s retail establishments so i had fun.
RESIST PAC will be awarding all small business owners with a yearly revenue between 355-700K that have a non-binary child who has watched every Steven Universe episode in the past year with a free mail-in rebate for animal crossing

it's the suspense that gets me

Location: Clean The Earwax Out Of Your Ears Boys And Girls! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 am

spix et chicho wrote:michael caine often has toilet emergencies it seems

HotFingersClub

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 am

heavy metal (1981) is truly one of the dumbest films of all time. like, it starts off as a short that posits the idea "what if andrew dice clay was a taxi driver in a tech-noir film" and only gets stupider from there. i can't say i didn't enjoy watching it though. i remember watching this in the hipinion movie series relatively vividly despite having drank an entire 12 pack of steel reserve. i kept closing my eyes at the boobie scenes. like a literal half of the film is either gratuitous nudity or bad sex scenes. i remember glosstime typing the phrase "is whips still closing her eyes?" a few times. jeremy wanted to buy a saturn to play panzer dragoon. the only good parts of this film are the parts that look like moebius/panzer dragoon pretty much. makes you wonder what an alt comix movie with this budget could've done if it weren't explicitly catering to the whims of 12 year old boys. this film is absolute dogshit but i can't lie it definitely cheered us up.
RESIST PAC will be awarding all small business owners with a yearly revenue between 355-700K that have a non-binary child who has watched every Steven Universe episode in the past year with a free mail-in rebate for animal crossing

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:09 am

fantastic review
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby aububs » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:i watched Bait (2019) and it was great, maybe more people should watch this movie. This bits in the pub with the editing and blahblahblah were so good

yeah this was excellent. genuinely peculiar and very watchable.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby gauchebag » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:34 pm

i watched Solaris, Stalker and Ivan's Childhood for the first time over the last three nights. Mirror and Nostalghia are on deck

had already seen Rublev and Sacrifice
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:35 pm

were they any good

palmer eldritch

Postby grayfox » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:24 pm

i can't figure this out - sometimes on plex i can't get sound to work on 1080p rips, but it works on 720. seems to be a difference in the Mbps, but i can't seem to find any solution other than downgrading to 720.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Jeremy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:39 am

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:Image
heavy metal (1981) is truly one of the dumbest films of all time. like, it starts off as a short that posits the idea "what if andrew dice clay was a taxi driver in a tech-noir film" and only gets stupider from there. i can't say i didn't enjoy watching it though. i remember watching this in the hipinion movie series relatively vividly despite having drank an entire 12 pack of steel reserve. i kept closing my eyes at the boobie scenes. like a literal half of the film is either gratuitous nudity or bad sex scenes. i remember glosstime typing the phrase "is whips still closing her eyes?" a few times. jeremy wanted to buy a saturn to play panzer dragoon. the only good parts of this film are the parts that look like moebius/panzer dragoon pretty much. makes you wonder what an alt comix movie with this budget could've done if it weren't explicitly catering to the whims of 12 year old boys. this film is absolute dogshit but i can't lie it definitely cheered us up.

I've been thinking about this movie since I saw you tweeting about it and it makes me think like, what was that era like when you'd be in this situation where "Okay, here's the one example of the thing that's picking up the common threads of a bunch of things I'm into an synthesizing them and it's my aesthetic and it's the only example of it, and also it happens to suck." Like it's just so ineptly executed, it's like it can't even identify its own appealing features. Does this still happen to people?

Jeremy

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:17 am

i know exactly what you're talking about, but i can't recall the specific examples. i guess i thought that about aronofsky's black swan upon watching it the first time but i realized i actually enjoy that movie when rewatching it last year

anyway

down and dirty duck (1974)

this was like, a no budget fritz the cat ripoff that was made immediately afterwards. despite the title, the duck doesn't play much of a role. it's about your generic incel protagonist trying to get laid. most of it's animation budget goes to freudian sex symbolism that like, was already dated and cliche by 1974. it's peppered with some pretty decent tolerable power pop that i think was made by the filmmakers themselves.

i've always thought of r crumb's criticism of bakshi's adaptation of fritz as being a "methinks doth thou protest too much" thing. there's not a whole lot separating the two artists. but. when crumb talked about bakshi's film being like, ridiculously meanspirited and horny without a shred of redeeming factor, you could apply those words to this film without much of an effort. keep in mind i don't even LIKE fritz the cat. even the horniness... well one of my best friends, who's a furry, had her sexual awakening to the bathtub scene in fritz the cat. there's no analogous scene in this film. it even fails at being meaningfully horny, on top of all the sexism and racism and transphobia in it having literally no cover. the film ends with the incel protagonist realizing that the duck has boobs and a vagina and fucking them to relieve them of their sexual frustration. i think the duck is nonbinary. is this this representation i've heard so much about? there's a cop that transcends into a penis car. like revolutionary girl utena. or family guy. take your pick.

as someone with a major soft spot for low budget films that manage to do cool things with that budget... some of the scenescape collage animation is cool... but again it's stealing that directly from fritz the cat. so eh.

i kept wondering how belladonna of sadness would've gone over had it been imported over to america around this time. i think it probably could've done well, honestly.

Postby pink snake » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:08 am

Just saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I liked it!

pink snake

Postby spix et chicho » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Fritz the Cat is really the ultimate Bad Vibes movie, like who even wanted the second half of that movie with the Nazi rabbit bikers who torture and rape the horse, it's absolutely the most misanthropic thing ever because it's not even fun to watch at any point
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby paused anime for this » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Lunch Break (Lockhart, 2009)
watched this with phill niblock - four full flutes. i know this wasn’t the director’s intention but i found it kinda homoerotic. all those masculine men being in such intimate space eating, reading and talking together, reduced to their physical bodies and movements, the director and the one other woman almost utterly ignored, etc. all while the camera slowly goes deeper into a narrow corridor. and navy ships are pretty gay environments, aren’t they? nice little details everywhere, i liked it

paused anime for this

Postby high bias » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm

pink snake wrote:Just saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire. I liked it!

yeah this ruled. may see it again

high bias

Postby Phil » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:41 pm

I think that's exactly right and also not unintentional on her part at all.

You should watch Double Tide next, also v v v erotic while being perfectly balm.

Phil

Postby bongo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Phil wrote:You should watch Double Tide next, also v v v erotic while being perfectly balm.

+1

also is great.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby paused anime for this » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm

and to think i wondered if i was too horny this morning lol

would also appreciate if anyone has reccs for contemporary non-narrative film directors. i know benning and lockhart but who else is hot nowadays

paused anime for this

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 pm

there was a trailer for come and see (1985) before the screening of cats (2019) we went to at our local theater.

it's weird that we've probably gone to dozens and dozens of theater screenings but we both remarked the only other repertory screening we've been to where like, people knew what they were getting into, that still produced as many walkouts was when we saw trash humpers (2009) last year.

movie is psychic warfare. just like, that panic at the disco "high hopes"/taylor swift "me!" decadent nihilist aesthetic taken to it's logical endpoint. the come and see trailer was oddly apropos. i don't understand the plot of it at all. it was great. glad it exists.

Postby bongo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:54 pm

paused anime for this wrote:and to think i wondered if i was too horny this morning lol

would also appreciate if anyone has reccs for contemporary non-narrative film directors. i know benning and lockhart but who else is hot nowadays

some favs that come to
mind

betzy bromberg
rainer kohlberger
takashi makino
jodie mack
laida lertxundi
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:57 am

this reminded me of like, attempting to watch subbed shin-chan episodes, in that it's very clearly operating on a set of social signifiers that i'm completely lost in. supposedly every attempt at importing it into languages other hungarian failed???... i still basically thought it worked as a piece of slapstick animation tho. i didn't know, at all, what to expect going in. i kinda thought it was going to be something ludicrously horny like down and dirty duck/heavy metal going in and was pretty pleasantly surprised when it wasn't (despite, y'know, the fact that i'm specifically seeking that thing out lol)... like it's for 'adults' but it feels downright wholesome in retrospect. i dunno. i enjoyed it.

apparently the director/writer of down and dirty duck has a writing and direction credit on twice upon a time (1983)... which like. is one of the best films i've found digging for older american animation that's not explicitly for children. which honestly isn't that surprising when i think about it, i kept thinking of similarities in terms of general messiness, and it makes sense that a super super low budget version of that would look like down and dirty duck ultimately???? just funneled into a cheap fritz the cat knockoff for $$$ instead of like, something george lucas bankrolled to let them make a labor of love. also, twice upon a time had a much bigger cast of people working on it in general so... still took me aback seeing at first lol

both the tagline and the pullquote on the american dvd cover made me laugh real bad

Postby Plainsong » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Bigger Than Life (1956)- Nicholas Ray
Loved this. Mason slayed in his role, and Barbara Rush was really great also.
Black Legion (1937)- Archie Mayo, Michael Curtiz
Really strong film, partly due to Bogart's powerful performance.
Blithe Spirit (1946)- David Lean
Great stuff. Has some of the most witty insults ever uttered in any film I've ever seen.
Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)- Ernst Lubitsch
I can totally see why this is generally considered one of Lubitsch's weaker films, but I really adored this, especially for the twists and turns of the plot, the witty as usual dialogue, and the great performances all around.
Branded (1950)- Rudolph Maté
Liked it.
Carefree (1938)- Mark Sandrich
Loved it.

Plainsong

Postby j-ol » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:14 pm

I've been embarrassingly slow to catch on to the existence of a24 as an entity worth following, but finally it's come on my radar and I've realized that many of the most enjoyable films of the last 5 years have come from them. can somebody make their top 10 list for a24 productions? there's a lot and I've only seen the major ones (spring breakers, moonlight, uncut gems etc)

j-ol

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 pm

j-ol wrote:I've been embarrassingly slow to catch on to the existence of a24 as an entity worth following, but finally it's come on my radar and I've realized that many of the most enjoyable films of the last 5 years have come from them. can somebody make their top 10 list for a24 productions? there's a lot and I've only seen the major ones (spring breakers, moonlight, uncut gems etc)

In no order:

Spring Breakers
Under the Skin
The Lobster
Green Room
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Lady Bird
First Reformed
The Spectacular Now
Eighth Grade
Uncut Gems

tricksforchips

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....