Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bongo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 am

lancelot of the lake (bresson, 1974)

rewatch. new 4K restoration looks good to my eyes- everyone’s tights look great!
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Mesh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 pm

The Day of the Locust (Schlesinger, 1976)

I really love dodderin' Donald Sutherland as Homer "Yeah, I Can Sort of See It" Simpson in this, but he takes like 40 minutes to show up and therein lies most of my frustration with this movie. Those first two acts burn a long hour of weird tonal shifts, failed tension builds and characters coalescing really slowly while the gauzy, soft-focus, jaundiced Conrad Hall photography mostly just distracts. Until it doesn't. This gets much better as it gets darker and more openly phantasmagoric in the back 9. The Bosch-lite set design above dissolves into that club scene from A Catcher in the Rye and then it's on to Ennis House exterior with a dead horse in the pool. What a great run of reverberant, off-kilter stuff. The world is hard right now, grant me this one: Los Angeles Slays Itself
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby mystery meat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Mesh wrote:Image
The Day of the Locust (Schlesinger, 1976)

I really love dodderin' Donald Sutherland as Homer "Yeah, I Can Sort of See It" Simpson in this, but he takes like 40 minutes to show up and therein lies most of my frustration with this movie. Those first two acts burn a long hour of weird tonal shifts, failed tension builds and characters coalescing really slowly while the gauzy, soft-focus, jaundiced Conrad Hall photography mostly just distracts. Until it doesn't. This gets much better as it gets darker and more openly phantasmagoric in the back 9. The Bosch-lite set design above dissolves into that club scene from A Catcher in the Rye and then it's on to Ennis House exterior with a dead horse in the pool. What a great run of reverberant, off-kilter stuff. The world is hard right now, grant me this one: Los Angeles Slays Itself

yeah i mean he comes in at around the same point in the novella, but that's a novella while the movie is 2.5 hours lol

i feel like there's a critical consensus that the movie does a profound disservice to West but i thought it was all pretty on-point. schlesinger's underrated.

mystery meat

Postby tricksforchips » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Posted this in the movies thread but figured it fits here too, for those looking for some films to watch while you're stuck at home in isolation:

I'll link to my films and provide passwords to keep you company during your self-isolation / social distancing:

The Devil's Trap (documentary, 95min)
https://vimeo.com/185753779
password: D3VILSTR4P
"Lane, an ex-ember of a cult called the Exclusive Brethren, attempts to re-unite with his estranged family who ex-communicated him from the cult when he was 18 years old. On his journey of absolute horrific nostalgia through his own psyche, he meets other ex-members, infiltrates Brethren churches, and tries to escape his pain through alcohol fuelled benders."

A (fiction, 86min)
https://vimeo.com/168503615
password: OEX
"An alcohol-fuelled fever dream; a never-ending cycle; A follows Konrad, a young alcoholic ambient musician who locks himself in his one bedroom apartment on a dangerous seven day bender as he tries to finish his anticipated upcoming album. Over a week of intense drinking and alcohol fuelled dementia, he is visited by his adoptive family, friends, and loved ones who all have varying views of his current mental health. Unable to grasp onto reality and lost in his disease, Konrad must navigate through the nightmare of his bender and stave off the pressures of those around him.

Shot on Super 16mm, the film takes place in one location and casts active working musicians Dirty Beaches, Tasseomancy, Petra Glynt, Femminielli, and Caro Diaro exclusively in their feature length debuts. A is surrounded by music, from its characters, with its cast, in its story, and through its sound.

Featuring original music by Dirty Beaches/Last Lizard/Alex Zhang Hungtai, Bernardino Femminielli, Tasseomancy, Petra Glynt, and more."

The Fenestration of Suburbia
(experimental, 18min)

Found (experimental, 69min)

tricksforchips

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:29 pm

30min into Avengers Assemble and I had to tap the fuck out. Absolute garbage.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

How much did they pay these people?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

How is Clark Gregg a famous actor?

incoherent grunting

Postby BlackSugar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm

from the netflix thread

my son watched it and afterward his mind was blown and he was all "...society?" and I was very proud

a combination of internet takes puts it at a cross between snowpiercer and the first raid with parasite undertones and that sounds about right

the premise of this was really interesting, even if it was full of holes and unexplained mysteries, which honestly adds to its charm. super gory and screamy though, so be warned
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby walt whitman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Hey experimental film fans. Here's something to brighten your social distancing. Ann Arbor Film Festival is basically the premiere experimental film/video festival in the US and has been for decades. Because of The Rona, they are live-streaming the entire festival for free next week. The line-up looks real good. Check it out ->
https://www.aafilmfest.org/live-stream-schedule?fbclid=IwAR3F-_OaLQbyfxVuPY5z_OYiY7kxbUUiL0zXNQrzGygUdkNBhDWjP8edVQw
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby gauchebag » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

i just watched Oshima's Pleasures of the Flesh

damn i gotta watch more Oshima in a hurry

gauchebag

Postby Mesh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:32 pm

mystery meat wrote:i feel like there's a critical consensus that the movie does a profound disservice to West but i thought it was all pretty on-point. schlesinger's underrated.

It's novelistic in a dull way, but it also made me want to try the book. So I don't know that I'd call that a disservice. I wonder how much I'm docking Schlesinger and Hall points for flaws that a super sharp 4K might fix. Criterion Channel's file is not great.

edit: Also wanted to mention that William Castle plays the director on the disastrous set of Waterloo, so that's interesting for a reason I can't put my finger on. And I sort of paired this with Altair accidentally.
Last edited by Mesh on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby saranclaps » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Give Me Liberty - Loved this. A little uneven in places but it made me cry twice. Like a Midwestern, kinda heartwarming version of a Safdie bros film maybe. The director saying A24 thought this "was going to be their next moonlight" before dropping it weeks before production made me :?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Gutslab » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm

surf's up: decent 00s animated film. the ending though :)

Gutslab

Postby garbielx » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 pm

just finished watching Blow the Man Down, pretty good
alaska wrote:shut the fuck up

garbielx

Postby polybius » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:00 am

watched matilda just now, i have a newfound appreciation for it as one of my favorite movies because of mara wilson's internet presence tbh
  
Image      Image Image Image Image

polybius

Postby lightfoot » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 am

police story (jackie chan, 1985)

the new restoration on this is incredibly vibrant, fuck

perf movie

lightfoot

Postby lockheed » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 am

watched Margaret a few nights ago, mainly compelled by the film poll. Such a good movie, I will most likely watch it again this week. I keep coming back to parts of it in my head and just increasingly impressed by the vision/scope of the film.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby shacky » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 am

MMIIILLLLLDRIDDDD PIIEEEEEERRRRCCCEEE WHAAAAAAAAAAA (haynes, 2011)

shacky

Postby shacky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm

far from heaven (haynes, 2002)

continuing my todd haynes kick, both of these have been on par w safe. outrageous production design. dunno if i should go back and rewatch velvet goldmine and im not there, cuz i really didnt care for them at the time. really psyched for his VU doco this year.

shacky

Postby unscrambled » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm

sextette (1978) - Mae West's final role and it's a doozy. super fun, nonsensical and full of truly bonkers scenes

essentially the 85-year old West plays this universally beloved global sex goddess diplomat. she softly shuffles across the room in all scenes as ringo starr, tony curtis, keith moon, alice cooper, timothy dalton and dom deluise fawn over her.

unscrambled

Postby mondrary » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:05 pm

far from heaven is so great

mondrary

Postby shacky » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm

so many great shots that im going back and saving

shacky

Postby paused anime for this » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:35 pm

E-Ticket (Liu, 2019)
link: https://vimeo.com/339355898
best short on day 1 of the ann arbor ff. liu calls this a “retelling of dante’s inferno” which isn’t immediately apparent but on a rewatch it does look like different parts are supposed to represent the different circles of the inferno. crosses appear in the composition of certain frames throughout and the colors evoke the stained glass windows of a cathedral. very cool. can’t imagine how long it took him to make this. i only saw one other short of his before this which i thought was meh but i'm sold on this guy now
paused anime for this

Postby gauchebag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm

gauchebag wrote:i just watched Oshima's Pleasures of the Flesh

damn i gotta watch more Oshima in a hurry

took my advice and over the last few days have watched

Yunbogi's Diary
Violence at Noon
Sing A Song of Sex
Double Suicide: Japanese Summer
Death by Hanging
Diary of a Shinjuku Thief
Three Resurrected Drunkards
The Man Who Left His Will on Film

Pleasures of the Flesh and Boy are still the best two but Diary of a Shinjuku Thief and Double Suicide close behind. Death by Hanging is a real interesting movie.

gauchebag

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 pm

paused anime for this wrote:but i'm sold on this guy now

I'm maybe a little biased because he's a dear friend, but Highview is the best non-Dorsky lyrical film in the last decade. If you ever have a chance to see him perform it live it's absolutely unmissable.

Assuming the one you weren't so into was Signal 8? That was his first attempt at moving toward a more immediately legible montage style and he was still working some kinks out (though I still think it's quite strong).

Phil

Postby high bias » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:Hour of the Wolf (Bergman)

this was so sick

so far i really love this and persona, and seventh seal and virgin spring

summer with monika and wild strawberries less so, i guess i'm just more interested if there's some kind of more surrealist/supernatural element. he does some cool things visually in both of those though

yeah this my favorite bergman vibe. check out the silence if you haven’t yet

high bias

Postby paused anime for this » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm

gauchebag wrote:Death by Hanging is a real interesting movie.

good movie but a little hard to follow in the second half. loved the recreation scenes. really need to know the historical context before you watch it to fully appreciate it i think

Phil wrote:
paused anime for this wrote:but i'm sold on this guy now

I'm maybe a little biased because he's a dear friend, but Highview is the best non-Dorsky lyrical film in the last decade. If you ever have a chance to see him perform it live it's absolutely unmissable.

Assuming the one you weren't so into was Signal 8? That was his first attempt at moving toward a more immediately legible montage style and he was still working some kinks out (though I still think it's quite strong).

it was star ferry, which, skimming it over now, still seems rough and flat to me. i wasn’t exactly interested to check out his filmography after seeing it but i am now
paused anime for this

Postby paused anime for this » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Last edited by paused anime for this on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paused anime for this

Postby broodstar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm

thanks for the heads up on simon liu's vimeo

looking forward to the giverny document, which is a thing i've read high praise about from multiple ppl, though i notice it's been on kg for a month now

broodstar

Postby walt whitman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm

paused anime for this wrote:Image
E-Ticket (Liu, 2019)
link: https://vimeo.com/339355898
best short on day 1 of the ann arbor ff. liu calls this a “retelling of dante’s inferno” which isn’t immediately apparent but on a rewatch it does look like different parts are supposed to represent the different circles of the inferno. crosses appear in the composition of certain frames throughout and the colors evoke the stained glass windows of a cathedral. very cool. can’t imagine how long it took him to make this. i only saw one other short of his before this which i thought was meh but i'm sold on this guy now

yeah this was cool as shit. the director's commentary really opened it up for me as well

i hope some folks were able to catch the music doc on Von LMO. very entertaining
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....