Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Organic Croutons » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Oops this is the thread I meant to be in instead of the Netflix thread. What app or website can you input movies you like and it makes suggestions?

Organic Croutons

Postby antoine » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:23 pm

The Lighthouse - Eh. Not as good as The Witch but I think it's growing on me a bit. The script is kind of shit is the problem, which seems to be a problem with a lot of these A24 arthouse horror things. Dafoe and Pattinson are good tho. It's fine I guess. 7/10.

antoine

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Currently watching this movie in which Kevin James plays a neo nazi.

Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Down n dirty rufus » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 pm

how is it??

Down n dirty rufus

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 pm

I, uh, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit!

It's mindless but fun with some good gore.

jalapeño ranch

Postby powderfinger » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:19 am

I watched Until the End of the World yesterday and it blew me away. Incredible movie.

powderfinger

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:39 pm

revolutionary girl utena: adolescence apocalypse (1999)

legitimately adore this film to death still... i haven't seen the full series going on a near decade at this point but i love how much it condenses every theme the show has into a more abstracted form that lets the viewer imbue their own meaning on? like every frame is just utterly gorgeous to look at. it hits me on a primal gut level in a way little media does.

the series bitterly ironic ending ('someday, together, we'll shine'.) is up there with safe and dogtooth or whatever in terms of shit that's seriously gutted me for years afterwards. i dunno glad this held up for me.

also watched pedro costa's o sangue. think this is his only film in black and white? which is kinda a shame because he really makes a masterful use of the color palette available to him. really the type of film/plot structure i go nuts over. i don't really have much critically interesting to say. i also watched in vanda's room a few days ago which was extremely emotionally draining but i'm glad i stuck with it. idk if it hit me nearly as hard as ossos (a film i went in with nearly no expectations a few months ago) but i still got a lot out of it.

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:43 pm

He also made a beautiful black and white documentary/portrait film of Jeanne Balibar in the studio called Ne change rien.

Phil

Postby Gnarls » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:04 am

Star 80 - The most tasteless thing I've ever seen. I'm posting this as a way to confirm that it exists. A great movie about grooming that could have only been made by someone who spent decades ordering women around. Eric Roberts forever.

Gnarls

Postby incoherent grunting » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:54 am

I watched The Vast of Night and it was pretty good, basically a radio play but entertaining enough.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby OKterrific » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 am

Gnarls wrote:Image

Star 80 - The most tasteless thing I've ever seen. I'm posting this as a way to confirm that it exists. A great movie about grooming that could have only been made by someone who spent decades ordering women around. Eric Roberts forever.

yep. masterpiece.
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:00 pm

henry: portrait of a serial killer (1986)

think this is my favorite depiction of a burnt out major rust belt city that i've ever seen... how did i forget this took place in chicago? i knew my shitty old rowhouse apartment reminded me of some movie but yeah no it's definitely the one that ottis/henry/becky all live in. like, the actual horror and true crime elements of this are certainly well done but ultimately i don't think they'd have much of an impact on me were it not tied to this vision of a city that feels completely drained of all life... the brief detours into the north shore suburbs that feel completely worlds apart. fuck. kinda happy i watched this around the same time i watched streets of fire cuz one of those films is depicting this wonderful and fantastical vision of a place vs. henry doing a semi-neorealist thing. phenomenal score. i think the imagery this conjures up in my head is the same that like, early insane clown posse records or the cure's 'faith' do lol.

i watched this alone but i feel compelled to watch it again soon with my partner now that i can vouch for it as a depiction of a place we both know. i had highish expectations for this revisit going in and it exceeded them.

Postby Ersaph » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 pm

OKterrific wrote:
Gnarls wrote:Image

yep. masterpiece.

Can somebody upload this?
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm

i downloaded it because of that description... going up to the thing briefly!

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 pm

I love Star 80. Fosse never got to make another movie (though he only lived for four years after its release) and Eric Roberts was relegated to DTV purgatory ever since because his great performance as a psychotic creep rendered him uncastable in Hollywood.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:44 pm

I watched tonight

Taking Tiger Mountain (Huckabee & Smith, 1983)

A film I mostly knew by reputation. Occasionally effectively disturbing with how it overlays different audio sources. Felt liked it dragged in spite of its 83-minute running time. Was not expecting to see a young Bill Paxton engage in an unsimulated sex scene, but ignore the 1983 release date and know that the primary footage was shot ten years earlier and the film had a long post-production period.

Eyeball Kid

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Ricochet (1991) [dir. Russell Mulcahy]

This movie was batshit. I'm upset I never watched it until now.

jalapeño ranch

Postby goofjan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:51 am

The Vast of Night was kind of a letdown for me. I loved the fetish it had for 1950s audio/radio equipment. I could have watched another half hour of them listening through the different reels. but anyway the story just did nothing for me. I knew about halfway through that this was basically just a stylistic calling card for the director, and that's totally fine, he seems very talented. but it felt like a 10 minute vimeo homepage short that was stretched out into a feature.

I hate the trope of someone saying, "I have crucial information about this supernatural emergency that's happening right now... But first let me tell you my entire life story in an an ubroken 10 minute monologue." I mean that was some sub-M Night level writing.

recommended as a late night watch but I was expecting more.

edit: oh also the framing device was totally unnecessary and terrible.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby aububs » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:55 am

i really liked the opening preamble of vast of night, when they were walking in and out of the gymnasium and talking to people in the car park before walking to the radio station. I thought that was all really well written. from there it went slightly downhill but like everyone keeps saying, the person who made it is evidently good at their job
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 am

I watched Roundhay Garden Scene (1888). it's only 2 seconds long. but what a 2 seconds.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:49 am

ricochet is both my favorite russell mulcahy and denzel washington movie. great film.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Bamboozled (Lee, 2000)

First time I watched it since it was in theaters. Recovers nicely from literally starting the film with the dictionary definition of "satire", which JFC

Eyeball Kid

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Irma Vep (Assayas, 1996)

While it's enjoyable it's also a bit lighter contentwise than I thought it would be. Like, breezy. Seem like a good movie to throw on and chill.

Vera Cruz (Aldrich, 1954)

A very interesting and strange movie that's stuck between eras of the western. It's full of characters that are unscrupulous and conniving and then Gary Cooper is also there just doing his thing so it's odd. Lancaster is this grinning shithead, the man in black, violent and ruthless but close enough to a protagonist that you could consider him an anti-hero. The whole thing does really feel like a proto-spaghetti western setup where everyone is deceiving everyone else to get some damn gold.

Cactus Flower (Saks, 1969)

The NINTH highest grossing film of 1969 and it got Goldie Hawn an oscar? I had never heard of it. I was sold on watching it by Matthau. The whole thing didn't work for me though and I didn't think it was funny in the least. oh well.

The Pawnbroker (Lumet, 1964)

If you like depressing movies about how everything is awful always forever, this is a good movie. Mostly it's about Steiger's performance and the excellent photography but it has a lot of interesting choices in details in the locations and characters...

palmer eldritch

Postby John Dark » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Where are the reliable/safe places to download subtitle tracks on the internet?
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 am

Downloaded this directly after finishing the book at the beginning of last year (which I really enjoyed), finally got around to watching it and it's fine... not essential
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm

shirley

meh

felt really low stakes and probably moss' first bad performance

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby R C » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 pm

rewatched PARIS, TEXAS last night and watched THE VAST OF NIGHT tonight. Couple of fantastic movies
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby BlackSugar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:I was sold on watching it by Matthau. .

this post led me to going down the internet rathole of walter matthau. dude spent from 1955 until 1965 always being the 3rd role in a shit ton of movies, with a disproportionate amount of kirk douglas vehicles in there. then he starts starring in low budget movies that are really successful like odd couple, bad news bears, sunshine boys, hopscotch, buddy buddy, first monday in october and a bunch of others in the 70s/early 80s that weren't huge but they made their budgets. he had a long ass career in hollywood but is barely remembered now
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Organic Croutons » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:55 am

Sorry to be a hater but I’m generally a hater. Also I’m dumb so dont let my 2 cents annoy you.

Watched southern comfort after some people rode hard for it in this thread. Nothing special at all to me. A 2nd rate Deliverance. Not bad, finished it, it was ok, just uhhh...ok. C+

Other movies I’ve watched from this threads reccs over the last few days. Beach Bum - doesn’t hold a candle to Spring Breakers. Will forget everything about this a movie a few days from now. Made it through it and it was reasonably enjoyable but ehhh... C-

Hands on a Hardbody - really good. Really appreciated the director not being condescending or dehumanizing the people. A feel good time capsule back to that era. Really funny too. A

The Killing, Stanley Kubrick — B+ maybe A- Given it’s 70 years old and the context maybe even better. Pretty damn good. Love Kubrick and this is one I hadn’t seen.

Seven Samurai - somehow had never seen this. If it came out today (absurd metric I know sorry) maybe like B or something but again I get how influential it is the significance and how groundbreaking it was etc etc so gotta bump it up some. A? Really good to see the inspiration behind a lot of modern filmmakers esp Tarantino, any movies assembling crews, etc. The drunk Samurai was amazing. Beautiful scenes and cinematography. Awesome action especially with the horses. Pretty funny and just endearing at times. When the young Samurai guy tells the sorta stoic one after he comes back with the revolver you’re a magnificent person was such a great scene.

Organic Croutons

Postby Dennis Moore » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:17 am

if anybody has an invite to like PTP or BTN and wants money please PM me
Dennis Moore

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....